PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Couple of questions for a swordsage idea

Vortenger
2012-04-09, 08:16 PM
Hey Guys,

I've been running an Age of Worms campaign for my friends for a bit over a year now, and am kinda in need of a break from DM'ing. My most story driven player says he'll run an alternate campaign for a while, so I get to play for a while. I always play some sort of caster, but have frustrated my last couple DMs. I was hoping to play some kind of melee character, but get easily bored with "I hit stuff" so I was thinking some kind of swordsage. Before I put together a build, here are my questions.

- The Kusari-gama from the DMG is listed as a light exotic weapon and seems like it would be worth investing in a couple. Am I right in reading that they are effectively one-handed spiked chains? I was considering dual wielding these for both flavor and tactical use. Is there a downside to these things?

- How important is the bloodclaw master PRC for dual wielding from an optimization standpoint? Going pure swordsage seems to suit my build idea better but I hear the bonuses bloodclaw master gives are pretty phenomenal.

- We're allowed level adjustment buy-off and I am considering either the saint template or the half-celestial template. The BOED (which is in play) page 27 mentions that a half-celestial template depends on their HD and the standard races simply use the base +2 LA for the template (as given in the table on the page). What is everyone's take on this variant rule as a +2 LA? Does anyone think this is broken? In a side by side comparison, which is better for a swordsage? Saint or half-celestial?

Thanks!

Tokuhara
2012-04-09, 09:14 PM
For an Exalted Swordsage, here's my "preferred tactic:"

Race: Buomman Saint (since you want a 2LA template with LA Buyoff, WIS to nearly everything, this is a nice boon)

Class: Unarmed Swordsage 10/Shadow-Sun Ninja 10 (You're a monk on steroids. Using Setting Sun and Shadow Hand lets you essentially teleport, then Muhammad Ali someone's face in)

Malachei
2012-04-10, 07:11 AM
I'd take two levels of Bloodclaw Master. Should not mess up your build.