PDA

View Full Version : Swapping from 3.5 to (PF) what can stay what has to go?

urbanwolf
2012-04-09, 10:35 PM
my players and I switched from 3.5 to PF we had three campaigns going in 3.5, and I would like to being on of them to PF to finish it off but im not sure how it would fair

First problem is the Beguiler, can you just have a beguiler in PF, what about his spell list and some of the feats like ones from exalted deeds and acquire familer

If the begiler does not work, I guess one could just make a wizard/rogue or something

but problem two The Dragon Shaman nothing in PF seems to be like that class could a Dragon Shaman work in PF

also feats from Dragon mag or other books what should be aloud to come over what should I forbid?

Malachei
2012-04-10, 02:45 AM
What's your motivation to do so? Are there serious issues that 3.5 shows at your gaming table? Or is it moving from a discontinued product line to a running product line?

In general, I must say I don't think switching from 3.5 to Pathfinder in an ongoing campaign is a good idea.

When 3.0 came out, we've switched from 2nd edition after some serious consideration. We did this mainly because our game had been paused, and when we restarted it back when 3.0 came out, we were in for a change, anyway.

But PF offers little over 3.5 in terms of big changes. I'd only switch if you have serious issues with 3.5. Otherwise, you'll spend a long time of reworking characters for little mechanical gain.

I'm playing Pathfinder Adventure Paths with 3.5 rules and find it works perfectly fine most of the time. The main reason I'm doing it is that I like the multitude of material 3.5 offers me, and our games have not experienced balance issues in actual play.

Still, if you have to do it, I'll try to keep most of 3.5 intact when carrying it over. The main reason being that players get attached to their characters and their characters' abilities, it takes some time to rework classes, and it can possibly lead to dissatisfied players.

Lonely Tylenol
2012-04-10, 02:56 AM
As you're finding already, the main reason to stick with 3.5 is the quantity of content and the diversity of options that it provides; this simply cannot be matched in Pathfinder, and it won't be for years to come.

If you want to make the transition to Pathfinder, a less burdensome fix might be to pick out the things you like about Pathfinder (like, maybe you're one who likes the Combat Maneuver system in Pathfinder) and backload them (as well as any additional classes or character options) that you like in Pathfinder. The systems are modular enough to be interchangeable, and they're not distinct enough that moving from one to the other will fix any system you have.

Take me, for instance: I took all of 3.5's content, backloaded the Pathfinder base classes (including some, but not all, class revisions of existing 3.5 classes), but not the corresponding feats (which are balanced in a way that hurts melee and helps casters, thus widening the gap in a lot of ways), as well as some of the spot-welds that I actually liked (such as the Polymorph revision), which led to a very insignificant departure from "standard 3.5", so much so that the only difference is that sometimes one of the players isn't sure what the girl to his left, or the guy across from him, is running, since that player is acquainted with 3.5 but not Pathfinder, and can't reconcile the new abilities with anything he knows out of the 3.5 system (for example).

krai
2012-04-10, 02:59 AM
How you value gold.