PDA

View Full Version : Fun Setting Combinations

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-04-09, 10:36 PM
The Stargazers of Athas
Dark Sun + Call of Cthulhu

Athas is a dying world of scorching sands and sandal-clad heroes, watched over by a bloated red sun. Druids seek to preserve what is left of nature, and defilers exploit it for personal gain. The few scattered cities are not much better than the hellish desert, for they are ruled over by unfathomable beings known as the Great Old Ones.

The Great Old Ones to not choose to take physical form, but instead watch from the stars, appearing in the dreams and fevered visions of their priests. They are paid tribute by robe-clad priests who do unpleasant things to virgins involving obsidian knives in their names.

Some times, a Great Old One will send down an emissary to be used as a weapon by its followers. Such a servant will be a semi-shapeless monstrosity of such nightmarish appearance that the very sight of it will drive a decent man insane.

War is Magic
My Little Pony + Warhammer 40,000

For more than a hundred centuries, Princess Celestia has lay immobile on the Golden Throne of Canterlot. She is the master of ponykind by the will of the gods, and master of a million worlds by the might of her inexhaustible armies. She is a rotting carcass writhing invisibly with power from the Dark Age of Magitech. She is the Carrion Lord of the Equestria for whom a thousand souls are sacrificed every day so that she may never truly die.

Yet in her deathless state, the Princess continues her eternal vigilance. Mighty fleets of armoured battlewagons pulled by cyborg pegasi cross the monster-infested inter-dimensional vista of Everfree forest, their way lit by the Ponynomicon, a tome that conveys the will of the princess. Vast armies give battle in her name on uncounted worlds, but for all their multitudes, they are barely enough to hold off the ever-present threat from zebras, alien monsters, cultists of Nightmare Moon, and worse.

An order of elite ponies, pagasi, and unicorns known as the Equine Astrates fight for the Empirium as the Princess's finest. Their feeble mortal flesh has been forged into something greater, enhanced with a thousand invasive modifications. Harsh training, magically enhanced drugs, powerful battlesiuts, body modification, and superior weaponry have made them the greatest asset to the Princess.

SamBurke
2012-04-09, 10:43 PM
Wow.

That world just got a whole lot crappier.

Wow.

Laharal
2012-04-09, 10:50 PM
Robin Hood + Big Brother (1984) atmosphere

Priest (post apocalyptic world ruled by religion in a handful of remaining cities with someone ''enlightened'' against the corruption)
+ Constantine ( antiheroic gun for hire seeking redemption through divine retribution to the more evil than him/her) (with cool attire and guns with crucifixes ) = Chaotic good/neutral bad-ass campaign ;) or holy grenades in your face with 2d6 attitude :smallcool:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-04-09, 11:06 PM
I call dibs on Spelljammer + Ravenloft.

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-04-09, 11:07 PM
My Little Pony: Call of Cthulhu

I think this kinda existed. I seem to recall a MLP movie waaay back when that featured some sort of Dark Lord turning the Ponies into flesh-eating Devil Horses to pull his chariot. It scared the crap out of me...but I wouldn't mind seeing it again. :smallsmile:

Lord of the Rings + Warhammer 40k

Isildur slumbers upon his throne, silently directing his Guardsmen against the abhorrent powers of Sauron, the Elves, the Dwarves, and the Chaos Hobbits.

Dr McNinja + Pirates of Dark Water + One Piece

I have no words for this. Basically Dark Sun + Call of Cthulhu as up above, but on water (sentient, soul-devouring water at that) and filled to bursting with Pirate Ninja Zombies. Hey... :smalltongue:

Laharal
2012-04-09, 11:23 PM
Aladin+Gundam

Three Stooges+ Resident Evil movies

Lord Of the Rings + Gothika movie (2003) = Super powerful people gone mad....

Jet Lee + Any revenge tale

Mass Effect + Albator= Space pirate saving us all from nothingness ;)

SamBurke
2012-04-09, 11:26 PM
I call that MLP/CoC setting.

TOTALLY CALLED IT.

Pokonic
2012-04-15, 08:39 PM
In The Lands Where Shadows Lie.

Lord of the Rings x Call of Cthulhu

Within the lands of Middle Earth, darkness is rising once more. In the darkest depths of the earth, evil is churning. Sightless abominations that have suckled on the light of the sun churn out there spawn to harvest the earth for it's own sake. Flaming fiends are feared and worsheped by the decendents of elves, and the squat folk from beyond time have found them all too often.

In the land of Morder, scaled beasts are bred in the darkest pits for the walking dead to ride, and the greatest among them can break the minds of mortals with a glance. The freakish creations of the Unlidded Eye forge foul armor and weapons to supplement there truly abomitable aliles, while men from the East are lured to fight for glory and power under his banner.

That foul thing, the soul and messanger of the entity known as Morgoth, once walked with men, forming armies and bringing chaos and maddness in his wake. It was only when his Ring, that which held his powers in a whim to sway the mortal races, was sliced off the finger of his human guise, that caused him to be banished from the mortal realm to that of a spirit.

Yet, his kin walk the earth. Guised in the form of men, they travel from town to town, city to city, without much similarity in there actions. Some help. Some hurt. Yet, all are mere extensions of Eru Ilúvatar, He of Many Colors and Ruler of All.

Within the dark forests, trees twisted in the forms of men and men twisted in the forms of trees forever guard there lands, lashing at those that dwell into there lairs. Giant-kin and Ogre-kind ravage and dwell in the hills, while Orcs and Goblins skitter across the lands like a wave of foul water. Tombs contain the souls of those who have gone before, and are mearly waiting to be awoken. Elvenkind, xenophobic against others who dare to go to there isolated villages, soon find that they have ties to things far greater than mortals. Grub-like dwellers of the deep places often find there things stolen from them, and those who steal a Dwarfs things soon find that they are mearly the walking dead.

And you? Your a hobbit with a pipe and a few friends.

ArlEammon
2012-04-18, 12:24 PM
Lord of the Rings + Conan the Barbarian + Legend of Zelda + Willow

All of the magic is perfectly within eachother's limits. Legend of Zelda would just need to be about as gritty and dark as Twilight Princess, though, which is immaterial to the fact that it would work out. Let's see Conan try to kill Sauron for once!

;)

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-04-18, 03:47 PM
War is Magic
My Little Pony + Warhammer 40,000

For more than a hundred centuries, Princess Celestia has lay immobile on the Golden Throne of Canterlot. She is the master of ponykind by the will of the gods, and master of a million worlds by the might of her inexhaustible armies. She is a rotting carcass writhing invisibly with power from the Dark Age of Magitech. She is the Carrion Lord of the Equestria for whom a thousand souls are sacrificed every day so that she may never truly die.

Yet in her deathless state, the Princess continues her eternal vigilance. Mighty fleets of armoured battlewagons pulled by cyborg pegasi cross the monster-infested inter-dimensional vista of Everfree forest, their way lit by the Ponynomicon, a tome that conveys the will of the princess. Vast armies give battle in her name on uncounted worlds, but for all their multitudes, they are barely enough to hold off the ever-present threat from zebras, alien monsters, cultists of Nightmare Moon, and worse.

An order of elite ponies, pagasi, and unicorns known as the Equine Astrates fight for the Empirium as the Princess's finest. Their feeble mortal flesh has been forged into something greater, enhanced with a thousand invasive modifications. Harsh training, magically enhanced drugs, powerful battlesiuts, body modification, and superior weaponry have made them the greatest asset to the Princess.

Rainbownaga
2012-04-25, 06:41 PM
My Little Pony: Call of Cthulhu

I think this kinda existed. I seem to recall a MLP movie waaay back when that featured some sort of Dark Lord turning the Ponies into flesh-eating Devil Horses to pull his chariot. It scared the crap out of me...but I wouldn't mind seeing it again. :smallsmile:

That was the original my little pony episode. G1 Ponyland would make a pretty terrifying setting on its own even without adding the lovecraft (particularly if you consider the animation mistakes to be cannon).

Pokonic
2012-04-25, 08:53 PM
My Little Pony: The Heat Will Last Forever:

My Little Pony x Dark Sun

Once apon a time, in the blasted wastes of Equestria, the last peices of the old world slowly crumbles to dust. Once, however, there was a young creature who discovered something wonderful. He showed it first to two ponies, and they made a pact. This discovery, called "magic" changed the lives of those founding three forever.

The creature who first found out about magic was named Discord. He taught it to two mare-friends, Luna and Celestia. Mind you, while the latter where both unicorns no one knows what race Discord was. All who know of him could only say that he never truly was sane at heart. All three kept there powers secret until one of them, the Unicorn named Celestia, showed it to a group of young mares for her own amusment. When Discord found out, he was in a rage. How dare she break the rules of the game? They where gods! With both wings and horns, unlike anything else they knew of. Naturaly, his perfection of the art caused him to "experiment", causing him to twist himself in a mirror of his own twisted ideals.

Celestia and Luna, both feeling that they have gleaned all they could from the now spiritual being, managed to trap him inside magical marble of his own make during one of said sessions and dump him at a blasted frozen waste in the far north. Celestia continued to display her power, attracting many ponies to her banner. All the while, Luna was disapointed at her actions, knowing that her sister was ignoring her abilities and wasting it one frivolus mortals. And so, she bided her time, waiting for the right time to remove her from her throne of idoration and foolishness.

As the time came, Luna became ever more like the creature who she learned the magical arts, while Celestia, if anything, decayed in skill. As the dragon-eyed princess decended on her foolish kin, she soon learned it was a trap: her students, long having become lessering beings like themselves, attacked and overwelmed her. Yet, she could not be distroyed. Her power was to great, and even at the brink of defeat she was more powerful than any other being in the throne room. As such, Celestia herself, with the help of the group on ponies later stylised as The Elements of Harmony, sent Luna away with a combined blast of magic that scorched the world with the heat of the Sun.

The resulting world was left barren. The Elements all bowed there heads to there master, now changed into a creature not unlike her sister. With a turn of her ivory head and a flick of her now bright-red mane, speckled with churning spots reminicant of cooling magma, she had there directions turned to that of the now-dieing sun. She declared that, now cosmicly spent, the Sun will die without constent energy applied to it. She than had her followers, each ready to set out on there own, to find fertile spots in the blasted land and create cities in which souls could be harvested for the sustaining of the sun.

The land is a harsh place. For the last thousand years, Donkeys try to find and mine the last viable stone reserves on the planet, while Buffalo roam and crush any village in there path. Out in the Sand Sink, Goats are servants to the Minotaurs in dusty castles, while up in the deadly northern forest called the Everfree (the approximent location of Discords physical form) deadly monsters roam, while Zebras use the natural magic of the place to suite there needs. Griffons raid apon unlucky travelers, yet are a boon to those with the money needed for the employment of such efficiant fighters.

In the City States, life is far different than the nomatic ways of others. Ponies are ruled by there Princesses, while unicorn nobles, pegusi guards, and earthen craftsmares live in the same districts. Each maintained by the hard work of the Pegusi, alowing for the few rainclouds and storms to come into there lands (while keeping other's around it dry), each one has it's own distince flavor.

Twilight's is a baston of magic, with many wonders among its tall towers. Within her personal domain, it is said, lies a strange figure some say is her own son, turned snakeish by her practise of magic. Hardly ruleing at all, she only leaves to unleash magical power apon those foolish to the point of questioning the Favored Student of Celestia, a title in which the others find empty and foolish.

Fluttershy's is a baston of life built on the bodies of the dead. Highly vegatated and full of life, she acomplished such a fantastic feat by draining the land miles around her domain clear of life. Neverless, dispite the city being rather isolated, her primitive warriors love there queen.

Rarity's realm is that of decadence and fantastic extremes. While styled after the sprawling cites of her youth, filled with happy couples and young love, it is all supported by gem mines populated by both Dogs and Donkeys, and the people are entertained by the cites cadire of Mules gained from the slavery of both Pony and Donkey kind.

Applejack's farmland is unquestionably the most productive in the world. Probably the least comfortable with the usage of magic, she controls a city primaraly made up of earth ponies, with little in the way of pegusi and even less of unicorns. She has many slaves, true, but all are either there to produce goods or to till the soil. In fact, within her walls contain peoples like Pigs and Cows that are gone elsewhere.

Rainbow Dashs city is one built on the clouds, and must be maintained constently to keep any resembalance of shape. Dealing with the others only for food and raw goods, the city almost consists entirely of pegusi. War-like and cruel, they deal with traitors within there ranks by binding there wings and droping them into the Stilt Sea, which it floats above.

Pinkie Pie never truly rules her city, which is the largest of its kind. In fact, she walks among the common populance, leaving the ruling to a council of surprisingly stony elected officals. A mix of every race is present here, with every presumable race under the scouring sun mixing together. Pinkie Pie is still the prime ruler in the seeming chaos, however: she has become something different than here peers. While she has the horns and wings charecteristic of her kind, she uses magic is ways unseen elsewhere besides, it was whispered amongst her peers, Discord. She is entirely capiable of withstanding assaults against her person who think that her scatterbrained maindset is a weakness, while the city itself has learned to take advantage of its varied inhabitance to the logical extreme, with Giraffe guards and Rhino shock troops being prime examples.

And I just wrote this huge thing on ponies. :smalleek:

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-04-26, 01:15 AM
Lord of the Rings + Conan the Barbarian + Legend of Zelda + Willow

Challenge Accepted. Ehem...

"Know, Willow, that between the years when the oceans drank Numenor and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Feanor, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars--Nockmaar. Tir Asleen. Rohan with its golden-haired women and forests of Ent-haunted mystery, Hyrule that bordered on the pastoral lands of Termina, Moria with its shadow-guarded tombs, Arnor whose riders wore steel and fur and gold. But the proudest kingdom of the world was Gondor, reigning supreme in the dreaming west. Hither came Link, the Hero of Time, golden-haired, sullen-eyed, green-clad, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of Middle Earth under his sandalled feet."

(Shamelessly stolen, I know. But who could resist?)

Man on Fire
2012-04-29, 09:16 PM
Dark Tower + His Dark Materials + Number of the Beast + Chronolicles of Narnia + Chronolicles of Amber + Chronolicles of the Black Company

The Multiverse is an interesting place.

young_genuis
2012-05-08, 09:13 PM
Ninjas vs Samurai :miko:

ulgulanoth
2012-05-10, 02:59 PM
fallout+ cthulutech
L5R+ eclipse phase
exalted + golarion
world of darkness + bioshock
dc + marvel + city of heroes + champions + white wolf's scion
warhammer + magic the gathering + exalted

I think i should write them up some time

radmelon
2012-05-10, 03:52 PM
Based on ulgulanoth's idea above, it lead me to thinking...
WH40K + MtG. I don't really know enough about either setting to write up a proper description, but it would be awesome.

J.Gellert
2012-05-12, 03:57 PM
I have thought about it on at least two occasions...

Game of Thrones + Naruto
Intrigue and war between ninja clans!

Supernatural + Sons of Anarchy
A biker gang travels the USA hunting supernatural monsters!

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-05-12, 07:47 PM
Supernatural + Sons of Anarchy
A biker gang travels the USA hunting supernatural monsters!

Or Hamlet on Magic-powered Motorcycles. :smallcool:

J.Gellert
2012-05-13, 02:10 AM
Or Hamlet on Magic-powered Motorcycles. :smallcool:

That should give an entire new take on Hamlet's first scene :smallbiggrin:

"Ghost? Grab the iron!"

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-05-13, 02:37 AM
That should give an entire new take on Hamlet's first scene :smallbiggrin:

"Ghost? Grab the iron!"

When they get to the final duel, Hamlet and Laertes start swinging their choppers at each other, like that Simpsons episode with the biker gang. I need to write this down, this is gold!

Pokonic
2012-05-13, 02:50 AM
I have thought about it on at least two occasions...

Game of Thrones + Naruto
Intrigue and war between ninja clans!

Oh god. Has this been crossover'ed yet. It needs to be.

" A Uzumaki always pays his debts!"

J.Gellert
2012-05-14, 12:02 PM
I know, I'm full of awesome ideas. All rights reserved.

Bwahahaha!

Draz74
2012-05-22, 05:06 PM
Dark Tower + His Dark Materials + Number of the Beast + Chronolicles of Narnia + Chronolicles of Amber + Chronolicles of the Black Company

The Multiverse is an interesting place.

I don't know all of these settings, but this multisetting sounds like it should also include The Dark Is Rising series.

... And maybe Dresden Files, just for kicks.

His Dark Materials would also make a fascinating combination with the Bartimaeus Trilogy setting.

Scowling Dragon
2012-05-26, 02:04 AM
Dark Sun + Dragonmech

The war destroyed the sun. Now it rains hot meteors of fire every day. The only ones who can reasonably survive it is by riding the ancient war machines of the past that with every step crumble and rust. The Dragon Kings control the largest and most powerful mechs.

Acanous
2012-05-26, 02:11 AM
man, I called the MLP+Warhammer thing months ago, but I called it Friendship is Heresey XD

Man on Fire
2012-06-03, 11:41 AM
I don't know all of these settings, but this multisetting sounds like it should also include The Dark Is Rising series.

... And maybe Dresden Files, just for kicks.

Well, Number of The Beast allows to combine anything ever written (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_as_Myth) with it, so it's possible.

Omeganaut
2012-06-11, 09:11 AM
Dark Sun + Half Life 2 + Ravenloft

20 Years ago, the top mages in the world gathered in the most prominent magical university in the world to open up a gateway to power magic, rather than have to pull it from the world itself. Instead, they tore open a rift to other planes, and a swarm of monsters poured into the world. The listless monsters were soon followed by powerful dread lords, able to overpower the worldly governments and enslave the mortal populace to drain the natural resources. The Dark Lords came from a world exhausted by their industry but plentiful in magic, and as physical resources left the material plane, magic seeped in. Only this magic was hostile to the natives, and soon people began to disappear in the mists. Now, an intrepid band of survivors seeks to destroy the portal and the magical source of the Combine's power.

hiryuu
2012-06-25, 07:54 PM
Go for the challenges.

Fallout + Magic: the Gathering
Samurai chanbara + Urban gang culture
The Planet/Gaia + Slipstream (Savage Worlds Buck Rogers-type setting)
Deadlands: Hell on Earth + Rokugan
Godzilla universe + Mass Effect
Star Wars + Mage: the Awakening

On a funny note...
The Girl With the Dragonmark Tattoo?

Morph Bark
2012-06-25, 07:58 PM
I used to write a lot of crossover fanfics.

This thread is now diamonds.

Milo v3
2012-06-25, 08:02 PM
One I'm working out right now is a Transformers + Dragon Age setting.

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-06-25, 11:41 PM
Godzilla universe + Mass Effect

Wrexzilla: Shepaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrd! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rz8iX9hQP4)