PDA

View Full Version : Classes that are good when sitting on your butt.

Morithias
2012-04-10, 01:52 AM
I'm sure many people on this forum have heard me talking about the "evil princess" Patricia, and yes, I am here again asking for help.

Here's the thing, I've been looking at Patricia and...well she doesn't do anything.

As the Queen she's not really suppose to be on the field of battle, which is why I combined the Fire souled template (Leadership for free), with the close cohort and improved cohort feats so her black knight has the same level as her.

But ultimately the current build Urban Druid 30 / rogue 4 +urban soul 3 + hero of the people 5 + urban soul 7 + rogue 1 + urban soul 10

Isn't going to be doing anything well....useful, outside of giving orders.

So here is my question.

What are good classes for people that are non-combat but still want to help the party? I can't afford to blow many feats on this build sadly, because I've blown every feat on the "same level cohort" and getting into the "Hero of the people" prestige class. (The next feat I get will be at HD 9, or if I decide to do some faustian pact cheese).

3rd party material is allowed (but I have to clear it with the DM), as is setting specific material. Dragon Magazine is also allowed.

The current character in greater detail is here.

http://www.dndsheets.net/view.php?id=29529

The campaign revolves around trying to conquer the world, so evil stuff is allowed, but good aligned stuff is not.

Any further questions will be answered.

Soranar
2012-04-10, 02:07 AM
Despite what you might think, your character sheet, and how you describe her, is anything but useful.

you say you're an urban druid 30 + some other classes

but your sheet says rogue 10 (thus the whole thing is a bit confusing)

And the fire souled template is LA +3 (really not worth it if it's just to save a feat) unless you're allowed LA buyoff (you need to specify these things)

Still, if you're going epic an artificer (or even a warlock) could make a great leader: make a ton of useful magic items for your people and maintain a reasonable combat capacity

Artificer gets a ton of free feats for the job

Warlock requires 2 levels of chameleon (to get a floating feat every day to obtain whatever creation feat you require that day or an extra invocation if you go fighting something instead)

just a warning though, the kind of campaign you're describing (sitting on your butt a epic levels) is really not that entertaining to play. Unless you play out your adventure through that black knight cohort (more reason to desire access to every imaginable magic item)

Morithias
2012-04-10, 02:15 AM
Despite what you might think, your character sheet, and how you describe her, is anything but useful.

you say you're an urban druid 30 + some other classes

but your sheet says rogue 10 (thus the whole thing is a bit confusing)

And the fire souled template is LA +3 (really not worth it if it's just to save a feat) unless you're allowed LA buyoff (you need to specify these things)

Still, if you're going epic an artificer (or even a warlock) could make a great leader: make a ton of useful magic items for your people and maintain a reasonable combat capacity

Artificer gets a ton of free feats for the job

Warlock requires 2 levels of chameleon (to get a floating feat every day to obtain whatever creation feat you require that day or an extra invocation if you go fighting something instead)

just a warning though, the kind of campaign you're describing (sitting on your butt a epic levels) is really not that entertaining to play. Unless you play out your adventure through that black knight cohort (more reason to desire access to every imaginable magic item)

We play with LA buyoff yes.

The campaign is starting at level 10, the level 30 thing is the whole build. The campaign is going to end at level 30. The "rogue" thing at the top is so I could auto-fill the class skills.

Artificer...logical choice.

The reason I gave her the fire souled template is because almost all her feats requires the leadership feat. Every feat except for the rogue bonus feats (fighter bonus varient), and the noble blooded feat require leadership. The "Hero of the people" class requires THREE feats that have leadership as requirements.

I'm sorry I'll try to alter the character sheet so it's more useful.

Kol Korran
2012-04-10, 04:49 AM
not sure if i can help much, not that much of an expert on builds, more on concepts.

however:
- mechanically such a character might be a magic item creator, but i can't think that a princess will get so many hours a day to work on magic items. at least from a fluff point of view it seems like her classes/ talents should fit in with the role and image of a royal princess, no? she can always hire magic item crafters or charrm/ manipulate/ blackmail a crafter.

- i'd also second warlock for two reasons: first it fits with the whole "evil power" theme, and secondly quite a few of their invocations may increase the princess' influence considerably, whether by beguiling influence, charming monsters and the like. i'm not that acquainted with the list of invocations, but it might be worth it.

- another role she might do well is divine stuff for the party. asking hirelings to find sensitive info is not a good idea, so she had better do it on her own. a divine caster build focusing on divination spells (and having a sending spell or two) might do wonders to help faciliate the party's efforts. you can even have her take the Divine Oracle prestige class to level 3 to almost ensure your augury/ divination spell work fine.

as a bonus, a princess who is also a known oracle and "prophet" might gain many, many favors, and might be abel to manipulate things easily ("in the next 3 days, a strange mix of people will visit you, the agents of fate. you have a choice- give them passage, and mention this to none for 3 years and 3 days, or your wife shall never recover from her illness")

just need a decent bluff as well.

Alienist
2012-04-10, 07:02 AM
"Great leaders" employ Artificers. Let the DM get the headache, not you.