PDA

View Full Version : New to DMing: Pathfinder

timekart
2012-04-10, 11:03 AM
Hey everyone, I have some questions. Obviously as the title says I'm new to DMing, this (Pathfinder) campaign I'm designing will be my first one, so I'm looking for some tips, advice, etc.
Mostly I need help with Magic items. My group has been playing for about 3 years now and we have a decent handle of the game. Most of our campaigns have never ended. We'd get bored and want to try something new. We've also never really made it passed level 10 and as a result we've never really had magic items.
I just need some help with how to place them into the world, how powerful they should be, and whatever else would be helpful. I understand every RP has a book with information on how to do it but I want real experience for help.

Thanks in advance

Prime32
2012-04-10, 06:30 PM
Well... Magic items are supposed to be everywhere, and available a lot earlier than lv10. That's what the Wealth By Level chart is for. (not sure where exactly it is in the PF book)

eggs
2012-04-10, 07:11 PM
By level 2 or 3, the system expects characters to have a magic trinket or two. By level 8, it starts to be a pretty big deal in the game's mechanical engine, especially in a character's defensive stats.

WBL tables are here (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/gamemastering.html).

The boring numeric magic items (ability enhancements, +2 flaming swords, resistance bonuses) and staple tools (flight items, boots of speed, etc.) are best treated as expensive tools, not as super-special plot-relevant rewards. I know that's a mentality that can grate, but the treasure system is built into the game's engine.

If you want a magic item to be cool and special, you have to make it cool and special - by adding plot weight or by giving it unique and powers (something as derivative and uninspired as a mirror that turns into a lake and back on command can be really interesting in play) - not by placing the default gear that every character needs (cloaks of resistance, stat enhancements, magic weapons/armor, some form of flight, various AC boosters) on a narrative pedestal (not to accuse you; it's just a common stance by players who've recently switched from older editions).

timekart
2012-04-12, 10:51 PM
eggs, that's really helpful. I never thought to make up more ridiculous items to be the memorable items for campaigns to come. I'm more against just open magic item markets, so what a few items I should be throwing at them early on? Like I explained my group doesn't have a big handle on the staple magic items aside from arms and armor...

Mithric Gunn
2012-04-14, 12:53 AM
It depends alot on what kind of characters and players you have. Some players might enjoy a shiny new axe for their barbarian to smash things with, while the more role-playing oriented bard might prefer a magical disguise trinket. and a wizard has little use for most items, but a peral of power would peak his interest.
Also, every character can use things like a ring of protection, and at low levels a few rings of protection +1 scattered amongst the quests' loot would be useful. same for resistance + 1 effects.
just keep in mind some players wont care for such things as much, and they may cause some infighting if two players really want it.