PDA

View Full Version : New Metabreath Feats (3.5 Feats for Dragons, PEACH)

NeoSeraphi
2012-04-10, 12:05 PM
Purify Breath (Metabreath)
Prerequisites: Con 13, Any good alignment
Benefit: When you use your breath weapon, you may choose to apply this feat to it. If you do, your breath weapon deals no damage against to good creatures, and only half damage to neutrally-aligned creatures (or a quarter damage if they succeed their Reflex save). However, evil outsiders and chromatic dragons take additional damage. For each dice of damage your breath weapon would deal, increase that damage by one step, as if applying the Improved Natural Attack feat to it. For example, an adult gold dragon who applied this feat to his fire breath would deal no damage to a good creature, 6d10 damage to neutral creatures (with a save for half), or 12d10 damage to evil creatures. If the gold dragon hit a quasit or a blue dragon with this breath attack, however, that creature would take 24d8 points of fire damage (1d10>2d8).
Special: Using this feat increases the cooldown time of your breath weapon by 1 round. You may only apply this feat to a breath weapon that deals hit point damage.

Violate Breath (Metabreath)
Prerequisites: Con 13, Any evil alignment
Benefit: When you use your breath weapon, you may choose to apply this feat to it. If you do, your breath weapon deals no damage against to evil creatures, and only half damage to neutrally-aligned creatures (or a quarter damage if they succeed their Reflex save). However, good outsiders and metallic dragons take additional damage. For each dice of damage your breath weapon would deal, increase that damage by one step, as if applying the Improved Natural Attack feat to it. For example, an adult red dragon who applied this feat to his fire breath would deal no damage to an evil creature, 6d10 damage to neutral creatures (with a save for half), or 12d10 damage to good creatures. If the red dragon hit a lantern archon or a copper dragon with this breath attack, however, that creature would take 24d8 points of fire damage (1d10>2d8).
Special: Using this feat increases the cooldown time of your breath weapon by 1 round. You may only apply this feat to a breath weapon that deals hit point damage.

Empowering Elemental Breath (Metabreath)
Prerequisites: Con 17, Large size or larger
Benefit: When you use a breath weapon that deals energy damage (acid, cold, fire, electricity), or sonic or force damage, you may apply this feat to it. If you do, any creature who takes damage from your breath weapon must make an additional saving throw (DC same as your breath weapon's DC) or suffer an additional penalty, based on the type of damage your breath weapon deals:

Fire- The creature must make a Reflex save or have his skin charred black. The burns on the creature harm it every time it attempts to move, restricting its ability to bob and weave significantly. The creature is denied its Dexterity modifier to AC and takes a -6 penalty on all Reflex saves. These effects last for 1 minute.

Cold- The creature must make a Fortitude save or be chilled to the bone. The creature moves at half speed, cannot run or charge, and takes a -4 penalty to its Dexterity score. This effect lasts for one minute.

Electricity- The creature must make a Fortitude save or have its nervous system thrown out of whack. The creature begins twitching erratically, giving it a 20% chance of failure for casting spells with a somatic component (this stacks with any other source of failure, such as from wearing armor for an arcane caster). Unlike armor spell failure, this failure chance applies to all spells with a somatic component, including divine spells. Additionally, the twitching makes it very difficult to use a manufactured weapon properly. Any creature who is twitching that rolls a natural 1 on its attack roll with a manufactured weapon drops that weapon, and any character who attempts to load ammunition into a ranged weapon (such as stringing an arrow or loading a crossbow) has a 20% chance of dropping that ammunition and losing the action (for a bow-user, they lose their attack roll, resulting in one less attack roll for the round). A character who is twitching takes a -8 penalty on all opposed rolls made to resist a Disarm attempt. Twitching lasts for 1 minute.

Acid- The creature must make a Reflex save or its skin begins dissolving. Each round, the creature takes an additional point of acid damage per dice your breath weapon deals. This effect lasts for 1 round per dice of damage your breath weapon deals. (So for example, if your breath weapon deals 6d4 acid damage, creatures who took damage from it would take an additional 6 points of acid damage each round for 6 rounds).

Sonic- The creature's eardrums are shattered. The creature must make a Fortitude save or be stunned for 1 round and deafened for 1 minute.

Force- The creature must make a Reflex save or have its body torn by the sheer waves of force. The creature takes a -4 penalty on attack and damage rolls for 1 minute.

Special: Using this feat extends the time you must wait to use your breath weapon by 2 rounds.

Final Breath Destroyer (Metabreath) (Epic)
Prerequisites: Con 25, Size Colossal or Colossal+
Benefit: As a full-round action, you may draw upon every last bit of energy you have, and unleash it all in a single devastating attack. The area of your breath weapon triples (so a 60' line would become a 180' line, or a 45' cone would become a 135' cone), and the base damage of your breath weapon also triples (so 24d8 base becomes 72d8). The DC of the saving throw to avoid your breath weapon increases by +6, and the Evasion/Improved Evasion abilities do not apply to it. You may only apply a certain number of other metabreath feats to this breath attack, up to a maximum increase in rounds required to wait of +12 (So, for example, you could apply the Maximize Breath, Elemental Empowering Breath, and Purify Breath feats, and then the Heighten Breath feat up to 6 times). You may not apply the Quicken Breath feat to this breath weapon.
Special: If you apply the Final Breath Destroyer feat to your breath weapon, you may not use that breath weapon again until you have rested for 8 continuous, uninterrupted hours.

Igneel
2012-04-10, 12:15 PM
These... These feats... I really love them! Oh heck, if the Dm allows it (and me playing a dragon) I'm going to test run a feat or two!

The Mentalist
2012-04-10, 01:10 PM
Purify Breath (Metabreath)

Cool. I've always liked this series for tactical if not for power reasons. I think having it on dragons would be neat. (Plus now the gold dragon won't kill his Paladin champion when he breathes. I like that option.)

Violate Breath (Metabreath)

Same as previous.

Empowering Elemental Breath (Metabreath)

Going one by one here.

Fire- The creature must make a Reflex save or begin choking from ash. The creature is unable to take any standard or full-round actions until it spends a standard action to cough and clear its throat.

This as written is an infinite lock down. You cannot take any standard actions but it's a standard action to remove it.

Cold- The creature must make a Fortitude save or be chilled to the bone. The creature moves at half speed, cannot run or charge, and takes a -4 penalty to its Dexterity score. This effect lasts for one minute or until the creature receives at least 1 point of fire damage from any source. A creature that is under the effect of the endure elements spell when it takes damage from the breath weapon is immune to this secondary effect.

Alright. No issues here.

Electricity- The creature must make a Fortitude save or have its nervous system thrown out of whack. The creature begins twitching erratically, giving it a 20% chance of failure for casting spells with a somatic component (this stacks with any other source of failure, such as from wearing armor for an arcane caster). Unlike armor spell failure, this failure chance applies to all spells with a somatic component, including divine spells. Additionally, the twitching makes it very difficult to use a manufactured weapon properly. Any creature who is twitching that rolls a natural 1 on its attack roll with a manufactured weapon drops that weapon, and any character who attempts to load ammunition into a ranged weapon (such as stringing an arrow or loading a crossbow) has a 20% chance of dropping that ammunition and losing the action (for a bow-user, they lose their attack roll, resulting in one less attack roll for the round). Twitching lasts for 1 minute, or until the creature receives a remove paralysis spell.

Alright. Though, can a dragon not breathe once every 7 rounds with this, resulting in the infinite caster screw. (Not saying it's borked for it, just something to consider.) Maybe give this the same endure elements thing as on cold so it's more a "prep and avoid" than a YOU LOSE SPELL PEOPLE!

Acid- The creature must make a Reflex save or its skin begins dissolving. Each round, the creature takes an additional point of acid damage per dice your breath weapon deals. This effect lasts for 1 round per dice of damage your breath weapon deals. (So for example, if your breath weapon deals 6d4 acid damage, creatures who took damage from it would take an additional 6 points of acid damage each round for 6 rounds).

Is there any way to get rid of this? Otherwise at higher levels it seems like a Save or Die (24d6 breath weapon + 24 for 24 rounds = 576 + roll for damage = a lose button for almost every character I have ever seen.) Perhaps a wash in alcohol or water (as a full round action) to get rid of it.

Sonic- The creature's eardrums are shattered. The creature must make a Fortitude save or be stunned for 1 round and deafened for 1 minute.

Yep. Sounds good.

Force- The creature must make a Reflex save or fall prone.

Weak, but Force damage is epic on its own.

Final Breath Destroyer (Metabreath) (Epic)

Oh... Oh my...

I have one question...

Do you hate your party or love dragons?

This seems to me like another I WIN button for the dragon. Yes, you can only use it once every 8 hours but how often does a dragon encounter a credible threat? I mean I'm sure he's not trying to fit the next batch of dragonslayers into his busy plate-mail wrapped snack diet at this level. He may get one credible threat every few months and then it becomes... Oh... hi. *Breathe* Go back to bed.

Like it a lot but I could never use it as it seems to me like an instant wipe in a can.

NeoSeraphi
2012-04-10, 01:21 PM
This as written is an infinite lock down. You cannot take any standard actions but it's a standard action to remove it.

Will fix.

Alright. Though, can a dragon not breathe once every 7 rounds with this, resulting in the infinite caster screw. (Not saying it's borked for it, just something to consider.) Maybe give this the same endure elements thing as on cold so it's more a "prep and avoid" than a YOU LOSE SPELL PEOPLE!

It's a 20% failure chance that can be avoided with the Still Spell feat. Even without the Still Spell feat, you still have an 80% chance each round of not noticing the effect, and if you are aware of it ahead of time you can just cast protection from electricity, since you have to actually be damaged by the spell in order to take the secondary effect.

Is there any way to get rid of this? Otherwise at higher levels it seems like a Save or Die (24d6 breath weapon + 24 for 24 rounds = 576 + roll for damage = a lose button for almost every character I have ever seen.) Perhaps a wash in alcohol or water (as a full round action) to get rid of it.

Is there a problem with acidic creatures getting a save-or-die? It's 24 damage over 24 rounds. A 2nd level spell (resist energy) will give you resist acid 30 at that level, making you completely immune.

Oh... Oh my...

I have one question...

Do you hate your party or love dragons?

I love dragons. :smallbiggrin:

This seems to me like another I WIN button for the dragon. Yes, you can only use it once every 8 hours but how often does a dragon encounter a credible threat? I mean I'm sure he's not trying to fit the next batch of dragonslayers into his busy plate-mail wrapped snack diet at this level. He may get one credible threat every few months and then it becomes... Oh... hi. *Breathe* Go back to bed.

Like it a lot but I could never use it as it seems to me like an instant wipe in a can.

It's an Epic feat. An old dragon can get epic feats despite its Hit Dice, but at that point it's already ridiculously powerful due to its age category and age scaling for dragons. This feat helps dragons deal with Epic level adventurers, by giving it a rocket of its own. Is that a bad thing? 24d10 every 1d4 rounds is not good enough to deal with epic level characters, especially when they can negate it with a single spell (mass protection from energy).

The Mentalist
2012-04-10, 01:32 PM
It's a 20% failure chance that can be avoided with the Still Spell feat. Even without the Still Spell feat, you still have an 80% chance each round of not noticing the effect, and if you are aware of it ahead of time you can just cast protection from electricity, since you have to actually be damaged by the spell in order to take the secondary effect.

1. Do your players memorize things with Still Spell routinely? (Just curious here)
2. Missed the "have to take damage bit so nevermind this point anyway.

Is there a problem with acidic creatures getting a save-or-die? It's 24 damage over 24 rounds. A 2nd level spell (resist energy) will give you resist acid 30 at that level, making you completely immune.

I don't have a specific problem with acidic creatures getting a save or die really. I didn't think about Resist Energy though. Consider the objection withdrawn. (I believe in prepping for dragons)

I love dragons. :smallbiggrin:

I thought you might.

It's an Epic feat. An old dragon can get epic feats despite its Hit Dice, but at that point it's already ridiculously powerful due to its age category and age scaling for dragons.
This feat helps dragons deal with Epic level adventurers, by giving it a rocket of its own. Is that a bad thing? 24d10 every 1d4 rounds is not good enough to deal with epic level characters, especially when they can negate it with a single spell (mass protection from energy).

Just went back into the SRD to see how many dragons ever get big enough in terms of size categories to ever use this and where I still say it would not be the first feat my great wyrm red takes it will be on the list (around CR 30ish) Balance concern withdrawn considering epic gear being what it is around the late 20s.

Though wait.... Tiamat... With five breath weapons... she can use this five times yes? (Not a balance thing. I think it'd be cool to give her Queen Dragonness a trick up her sleeve.)

NeoSeraphi
2012-04-10, 01:54 PM
1. Do your players memorize things with Still Spell routinely? (Just curious here)
2. Missed the "have to take damage bit so nevermind this point anyway.

Not particularly. That's why I feel it's a small boon to the spontaneous caster (who needs it anyway).

I don't have a specific problem with acidic creatures getting a save or die really. I didn't think about Resist Energy though. Consider the objection withdrawn. (I believe in prepping for dragons)

Yes, resist energy is a pretty powerful spell, definitely something you would use for a dragon fight I would think.

Just went back into the SRD to see how many dragons ever get big enough in terms of size categories to ever use this and where I still say it would not be the first feat my great wyrm red takes it will be on the list (around CR 30ish) Balance concern withdrawn considering epic gear being what it is around the late 20s.

Yep. Epic feats have to keep up with epic players, and as they stand, they don't. (Epic Toughness? Bleh).

Though wait.... Tiamat... With five breath weapons... she can use this five times yes? (Not a balance thing. I think it'd be cool to give her Queen Dragonness a trick up her sleeve.)

Tiamat is Colossal? I didn't know that. But yes, she could use this feat to great advantage. One might even give her the ability to use the feat with all five heads in the same round.

bloodtide
2012-04-10, 02:04 PM
Purify Breath and Violate Breath look just fine.

Empowering Elemental Breath looks a bit off though:

1.Fire makes ash that makes you choke? Ok, but is there some reason an effected creature can't just hold there breath? And the effect does depend on the fact that the target creature needs air, so plenty of things will be immune to this effect. It might be better to make this just a simple 'you catch on fire effect'.

2.Cold, eh, looks ok.

3.Electric is odd as it only effects spellcasters and folks with manufactured weapons. So a werebear or a dragon would not be effected by the twitchig at all? And the spellcasters get a 20% failure, but folks with weapons only get a penalty if they roll a one? That is a bit unbalanced. Should not the people with weapons get something like a 20% chance to miss? A spellcaster has a 1 in 5 chance of loosing a spell and the warrior type has a 1 in 20 chance of dropping their weapon? This would work so much better as just a shocking effect that did something like a penalty to movement or such. A fun effect is that is might make a target move 'too much', be 'charged' with energy so they move an extra 10' at random or such... And you must drop the 'only one spell in the whole universe can stop this effect', and make it something more common like one point of healing.

4.Acid looks fine, but you don't give a way to remove the acid effect? How about 'spend a round to shake the acid off you'? Or 'one point of water damage'.

5.Sonic is fine.

6.Force just knocks you down? All the others have effects lasting rounds and force just knocks you down? That's boring! How about the force effect creates 'unstable misshapen armor' around the target, cutting there movement in half or such.

Final Breath looks ok, except I don't like the evasion cheat.

NeoSeraphi
2012-04-10, 02:19 PM
1.Fire makes ash that makes you choke? Ok, but is there some reason an effected creature can't just hold there breath? And the effect does depend on the fact that the target creature needs air, so plenty of things will be immune to this effect. It might be better to make this just a simple 'you catch on fire effect'.

Catch on Fire is a terrible condition. 1d6 points of nonmagical fire damage per round, with a Reflex save allowed to put it out every round? It's boring and it's basically completely negated by resist fire 5.

As for "Just hold their breath", that would be what the creature is doing if they succeed their Reflex save. They hold their breath.

3.Electric is odd as it only effects spellcasters and folks with manufactured weapons. So a werebear or a dragon would not be effected by the twitchig at all? And the spellcasters get a 20% failure, but folks with weapons only get a penalty if they roll a one? That is a bit unbalanced. Should not the people with weapons get something like a 20% chance to miss? A spellcaster has a 1 in 5 chance of loosing a spell and the warrior type has a 1 in 20 chance of dropping their weapon? This would work so much better as just a shocking effect that did something like a penalty to movement or such. A fun effect is that is might make a target move 'too much', be 'charged' with energy so they move an extra 10' at random or such... And you must drop the 'only one spell in the whole universe can stop this effect', and make it something more common like one point of healing.

It's only as unbalanced as the difference between a spell and an attack with a manufactured weapon is. Why should I attempt to equalize the penalty for two completely different characters, on completely different playing fields? But if it makes you feel better, I'll give people with manufactured weapons a penalty to resist Disarm checks.

And no, your suggested effect is not "fun". It's weird and it doesn't make sense. As for the 'only one spell in the whole universe' problem, well, I don't think magic should be able to solve every problem, so no, I don't think I should make it easier for a mage or cleric to simply remove the effect of my feat.

4.Acid looks fine, but you don't give a way to remove the acid effect? How about 'spend a round to shake the acid off you'? Or 'one point of water damage'.

Acid is much more difficult to remove than that. According to an article written by LiveStrong that I just looked up, you should spend at least 20 minutes (http://www.livestrong.com/article/242715-how-to-treat-an-acid-skin-burn/) washing your skin with cool water to completely neutralize and remove the acid. 6 seconds doesn't cut it. And again, making an effect that is not as devastating as "you can't take actions" or "you can't charge" removable with just a full-round doesn't make any sense to me. You get a Reflex save to negate. If you fail it, you should have to deal with the effect. You don't get a chance to remove the damage inflicted by acid arrow with washing your skin, so why should this be any different?

6.Force just knocks you down? All the others have effects lasting rounds and force just knocks you down? That's boring! How about the force effect creates 'unstable misshapen armor' around the target, cutting there movement in half or such.

Force damage ignores all energy resistance. It ignores incorporeal miss chance. No creature is immune to force damage. No creature is resistant to it. Force is the best element here, therefore it should get the weakest effect.

Final Breath looks ok, except I don't like the evasion cheat.

It's an epic level dragon wasting every other breath attempt it has left in the day on one final attack, a 2nd level rogue ability should not be able to completely negate it.

bloodtide
2012-04-10, 06:19 PM
Catch on Fire is a terrible condition. 1d6 points of nonmagical fire damage per round, with a Reflex save allowed to put it out every round? It's boring and it's basically completely negated by resist fire 5.

As for "Just hold their breath", that would be what the creature is doing if they succeed their Reflex save. They hold their breath.

Well, you don't 'have' to go by the catching fire definition in the DMG. You can make a special one for this.

Look at this from the player point of view. Your told you can't make any cool moves until you waste a move to do something. You'd ask, why you can't just hold it in? You don't have to clear your throat...you can just keep 'choking'. And it's strange to say the 'choking' is so powerful you can't take any cool actions. The uber chocking effect is just too much, you might as well have the 'ash' do 100d100 damage.

It's only as unbalanced as the difference between a spell and an attack with a manufactured weapon is. Why should I attempt to equalize the penalty for two completely different characters, on completely different playing fields? But if it makes you feel better, I'll give people with manufactured weapons a penalty to resist Disarm checks.

And no, your suggested effect is not "fun". It's weird and it doesn't make sense. As for the 'only one spell in the whole universe' problem, well, I don't think magic should be able to solve every problem, so no, I don't think I should make it easier for a mage or cleric to simply remove the effect of my feat.

Well, I don't believe in that so called unbalance, but if you do and wish to punish players who dare to have spellcasting characters, then this is fine.

And my point about the 'one spell' is that you list only one spell that can remove the 'twitching'. So a spellcaster could have 100 spells, but if they don't have the special 'key' spell they are useless. Magic, let alone game play should not be that way.

Acid is much more difficult to remove than that. According to an article written by LiveStrong that I just looked up, you should spend at least 20 minutes (http://www.livestrong.com/article/242715-how-to-treat-an-acid-skin-burn/) washing your skin with cool water to completely neutralize and remove the acid. 6 seconds doesn't cut it. And again, making an effect that is not as devastating as "you can't take actions" or "you can't charge" removable with just a full-round doesn't make any sense to me. You get a Reflex save to negate. If you fail it, you should have to deal with the effect. You don't get a chance to remove the damage inflicted by acid arrow with washing your skin, so why should this be any different?

Well, quoting real world stuff is a bit pointless. Anyway, for fire you just need to take and action to remove the effect and cold you just need a point of heat damage, but almighty acid is on you for the duration? Obviously balance says you should be able to do something to remove it. And your acid arrow is a bad example, as you can't remove the damage, but you can remove the acid.. Acid arrow last only one more round and can be neutralized. Unlike this acid effect that is more along the lines of ''nah, nah you can't do anything'' type effect.

Force damage ignores all energy resistance. It ignores incorporeal miss chance. No creature is immune to force damage. No creature is resistant to it. Force is the best element here, therefore it should get the weakest effect.

Guess I don't agree. So the dragon can hit a wraith...wow. So when they use the breath weapon on any other creature it has good effect?

It's an epic level dragon wasting every other breath attempt it has left in the day on one final attack, a 2nd level rogue ability should not be able to completely negate it.

Hummmm...I'm just not sure.

NeoSeraphi
2012-04-10, 06:43 PM
Well, you don't 'have' to go by the catching fire definition in the DMG. You can make a special one for this.

Look at this from the player point of view. Your told you can't make any cool moves until you waste a move to do something. You'd ask, why you can't just hold it in? You don't have to clear your throat...you can just keep 'choking'. And it's strange to say the 'choking' is so powerful you can't take any cool actions. The uber chocking effect is just too much, you might as well have the 'ash' do 100d100 damage.

Your suggestion doesn't help either. Extra fire damage is not helpful at all for a dragon. The fire-based breath weapons are already the most powerful, and fire is the most commonly and easily resisted energy type. More damage is not going to help make red or gold dragons any better.

I'll try and think of a different effect.

Well, I don't believe in that so called unbalance, but if you do and wish to punish players who dare to have spellcasting characters, then this is fine.

I just don't want to punish melee characters too much. After all, they're going into melee with a dragon. Meanwhile, a caster who wants to just slay living or dominate monster can eat a miss chance. Taking the easy way out when you're fighting a dragon is anticlimactic.

And my point about the 'one spell' is that you list only one spell that can remove the 'twitching'. So a spellcaster could have 100 spells, but if they don't have the special 'key' spell they are useless. Magic, let alone game play should not be that way.

Why do you say that? At least I gave magic a way to stop it, unlike the others. I could just not have given it period. The heal spell does not remove paralysis, so heal and mass heal wouldn't work. Wish and miracle already work because you can simply use the wish or miracle to duplicate remove paralysis.

Well, quoting real world stuff is a bit pointless. Anyway, for fire you just need to take and action to remove the effect and cold you just need a point of heat damage, but almighty acid is on you for the duration? Obviously balance says you should be able to do something to remove it. And your acid arrow is a bad example, as you can't remove the damage, but you can remove the acid.. Acid arrow last only one more round and can be neutralized. Unlike this acid effect that is more along the lines of ''nah, nah you can't do anything'' type effect.

Acid breath weapons are notoriously weak, usually high amounts of d4s, but in a line so they never hit more than one creature without serious planning or stupidity on the part of the enemy. Meanwhile a red dragon breathes a huge amount of d10s in a cone. So acid is on the weak side when it comes to damage, which is why I gave this effect.

Still, it's just extra damage, over time. It's not as bad as being nauseated or unable to charge or twitching, so there's no reason you should be able to remove it.

NeoSeraphi
2012-04-10, 07:04 PM
There, changed the fire and force abilities on Empowering Elemental Breath and switched all the durations to 1 minute with no means of escape, mundane or magical (except acid, which instead has a variable but inescapable duration).

The Mentalist
2012-04-10, 08:09 PM
Can you send me the old version of that feat if you still have it? I rather liked it once it was explained to me.

bloodtide
2012-04-10, 08:26 PM
Your suggestion doesn't help either. Extra fire damage is not helpful at all for a dragon. The fire-based breath weapons are already the most powerful, and fire is the most commonly and easily resisted energy type. More damage is not going to help make red or gold dragons any better.

I agree that more damage is a poor effect. Heat always works just fine as a secondary effect, so your burns are fine.

I just don't want to punish melee characters too much. After all, they're going into melee with a dragon. Meanwhile, a caster who wants to just slay living or dominate monster can eat a miss chance. Taking the easy way out when you're fighting a dragon is anticlimactic.

Well, physical things effect everyone. But you should try to keep things like penalties to ability scores and such things that effect everyone fairly.

Why do you say that? At least I gave magic a way to stop it, unlike the others. I could just not have given it period. The heal spell does not remove paralysis, so heal and mass heal wouldn't work. Wish and miracle already work because you can simply use the wish or miracle to duplicate remove paralysis.

For the old version of the fire feat, someone just needed to take a round and cough to end the effect. But for the electricy effect they needed only one spell. That's unbalanced, you should keep the same idea for all effects.

Acid breath weapons are notoriously weak, usually high amounts of d4s, but in a line so they never hit more than one creature without serious planning or stupidity on the part of the enemy. Meanwhile a red dragon breathes a huge amount of d10s in a cone. So acid is on the weak side when it comes to damage, which is why I gave this effect.

Well, creatures with acid breath weapons can take feats to change that.

Still, it's just extra damage, over time. It's not as bad as being nauseated or unable to charge or twitching, so there's no reason you should be able to remove it.

You should always be able to remove an effect. It say 'your stuck with this effect' is just wrong. All most all other effects in D&D can be removed.

NeoSeraphi
2012-04-10, 08:36 PM
You should always be able to remove an effect.

I think that's a bad thing, though. Magic shouldn't be the answer to every problem. I'd rather simply have creatures suffer their ill effects. It's only 10 rounds, after all.

bloodtide
2012-04-10, 10:37 PM
I think that's a bad thing, though. Magic shouldn't be the answer to every problem. I'd rather simply have creatures suffer their ill effects. It's only 10 rounds, after all.

I'm not sure why your stuck on the magic, but I'm talking about removing an on going effect. Not 'just' by magic, but by any means. The idea that effect is 'save or die' is something D&D has tried to move away from.

Zaile
2019-06-13, 02:33 AM
Great feats Neo! Hope you see this 7 years later, lol. Running them by my DM as I'm playing a dragonspawn character in an epic game and my DM has let my breath weapon scale with character levels (his creatures hit very hard and have very high stats though). Will see if he lets me use a couple.

My only comments are on Final Breath Destroyer. I would change damage and range to something like:

"You can double both the damage and range of your breath weapon, or triple either." Colossal dragons already have a big area and damage, this makes it so they can either take out an army or the epic party, not both.

I would also change the Evasion/Improved Evasion to "This negates the Evasion ability and treats Improved Evasion (or any other feat, skill or spell that affects Relfex saves in a similar way) as Evasion, taking half damage on a failed save." Give the poor monk a chance :smallbiggrin:

I also think it should treat Energy Immunity as Energy Resistance equal to caster level of spell effects or hit dice, whichever is greater.

I am working on a couple metabreath feats of my own, but not as powerful.