PDA

View Full Version : Ranged Pin

Seatbelt
2012-04-10, 12:21 PM
How exactly does this feat work? The last session I let my player use it thusly, as he explained it to me:

He could throw 6 darts or whatever in a turn. Each dart dealt damage as normal and then prompted a grapple attempt. For a single grapple attempt my monster was pinned. For each successful grapple he got, my monster had to spend a standard action to unstick himself that one projectile.

I told him it would work this time but I would look it over as that was mad powerful.

As I read the feat it actually seems to work this way:

It works exactly like a regular grapple attempt. You take a standard action, make a ranged attack instead of melee touch, and on a successful grapple attempt the target gains the "grappled" condition but not the pinned one, and then has to spend 1 standard action to beat a DC 15 check to get free. You don't deal damage, and you don't get a bajillion daggers sticking a guy to a wall indefinitely.

On a related note can a dagger throwing character use two weapon fighting to get an extra attack? My gut says no.

The Random NPC
2012-04-10, 01:36 PM
I'm AFB ATM but I believe you are correct. As for the two weapon fighting, that works, it allows you to throw more.

Averis Vol
2012-04-10, 02:36 PM
wait, what? what part of that feat says anything about adding rounds to get out of it? all it says is to make a DC 15 strength/Escape artist check. your PC's trying to pull one over on you man. so yea, its for all intents and purposes a grapple check except you don't get tied up and can still act while the enemies pinned.

Grod_The_Giant
2012-04-10, 02:49 PM
On the other hand, I can see allowing extra attacks to increase the DC.

Fearan
2012-04-10, 03:07 PM
On a related note can a dagger throwing character use two weapon fighting to get an extra attack? My gut says no.
Why not? He just have to grab Quick draw (and what dagger throwing character wouldn't) and have enough daggers to supplement all his attacks. Which is harder than it looks

Seatbelt
2012-04-10, 04:07 PM
On the other hand, I can see allowing extra attacks to increase the DC.

We talked about doing this. I think I'll compromise. He can't deal damage but for each extra attack that hits adds 2 to the DC to escape. That way he gets a benefit from his machine gun-like number of attacks but doesn't significantly out-perform my other party members.

Just to clarify it is a standard action to use this ability right? They're adventuring through a dungeon for the rest of this campaign and pretty much everything they fight will be within 5 feet of a wall. It could get exceptionally powerful if he could make 6 attacks and grapple 6 targets, and keep doing it every round until he runs out of daggers.

Fax Celestis
2012-04-10, 04:21 PM
Just to clarify it is a standard action to use this ability right? They're adventuring through a dungeon for the rest of this campaign and pretty much everything they fight will be within 5 feet of a wall. It could get exceptionally powerful if he could make 6 attacks and grapple 6 targets, and keep doing it every round until he runs out of daggers.

Like a regular grapple action, it is an attack action, not a standard action. As such, he can make one with every attack he gets from BAB, TWF, or similar (Rapid Shot).

Zombimode
2012-04-10, 04:59 PM

Then your internal organs should better go read some rulebooks :smallbiggrin:
From the SRD under the Two Weapon Fighting option (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#twoWeaponFighting):

Thrown Weapons

The same rules apply when you throw a weapon from each hand. Treat a dart or shuriken as a light weapon when used in this manner, and treat a bolas, javelin, net, or sling as a one-handed weapon.

Toliudar
2012-04-10, 05:07 PM
Hmm. How bad do you think it would be to allow this feat with a giant throwing boulders? With the justification that you're pinning bits of the character - feet, mostly, I suppose - to the ground instead of to a nearby wall.

Fax Celestis
2012-04-10, 05:11 PM
Wasn't there a movie about something like that? Climber got pinned by a boulder?

In all seriousness, a thrown boulder is still a thrown weapon. A large thrown weapon, sure, but a thrown weapon nonetheless.