PDA

View Full Version : Marshal Aura's for the Dragon Shaman and two variant ideas.

the Blue Morpho
2012-04-10, 01:44 PM
Another friend of mine is gearing up for the second chapter of a campaign, with a Pirate theme. My character was a Dragon Mind variant Druid that evolved into a Cleric/Apostle of Peace (Story point). At the end of the previous chapter, he broke his vows to kill who he thought was the lead villain. This new chapter, we're allowed to retool our characters, so Ive decided to make mine a Gold Totem Dragon Shaman to represent his connection to dragons, divinity being pissed about breaking his vows, keeping some healing potential, and I think it would be fun. Dont bother mentioning DFA, Im not interested in Dragon Breath trying to be Eldritch Blast or their 1/2 BAB.

I've read in a few forums that DM's might allow the Major Aura's available to the Marshal from the Miniatures Handbook available to the Dragon Shaman. This makes sense to me, but Im wondering how often this occurs. Also what would the rationale behind not allowing it be?

Looking at the Shamanic Invocation Variant from PHBII, It looks like a must to take. What Im curious about is why they did not set it up to take multiple times-- each time losing an aura for a Least invocation or improving a previously taken invocation to the next grade (Least-> lesser->greater->dark). At best the DS could have any where between 7 least invocations, 1Dark and 1 Greater, or any combination thereof. The DFA would still outshine in the invocation department and the DS would gain some flexibility in it's utility.

Finally, I'd like to propose another variant for the DS that substitutes the 14th level special ability 'Commune with Dragon Spirit' with one DFA breath effect that is BELOW 15th level. This removes a helpful ask the DM a question ability for a sliver of combat flexibility.

nedz
2012-04-10, 02:53 PM
I've read in a few forums that DM's might allow the Major Aura's available to the Marshal from the Miniatures Handbook available to the Dragon Shaman. This makes sense to me, but Im wondering how often this occurs. Also what would the rationale behind not allowing it be?

Quite reasonable IMHO.

Note you can do this the other way around already with the Draconic Aura feat from Dragon Magic. This allows you to choose 1 Aura from the Dragon Shamen selection. How about turning your build around to see if it matches your concept better using these already extant auras ?