PDA

View Full Version : How to Face an Unknown Attacker [3.5]

kulosle
2012-04-10, 02:30 PM
So my group and I were discussing what would be the best action to take against an unknown attacker. So the theory we came up with is that through barely making a listen check. So you know something is coming at you quickly but still a bit off. Your in a jungle or thick forest or some other area that would limit sight. One friend suggested that you should hide and summon a creature and see what happens to the creature. I suggest buffing and fight defensively and ready an action to attack anything hostile. Both ideas have their flaws but what would you guys suggest?

TroubleBrewing
2012-04-10, 02:34 PM
Well, first off, what resources do you have at your disposal? What race are you? What class? What level?

kulosle
2012-04-10, 02:48 PM
We assumed any random well balanced group with the typical divine caster, arcane caster, fighter, and skill monkey. Assume you have what ever you want. The point of this is exercise is to find out what you should bring on an adventure.

As for what level I would like to see peoples response for low mid and high level situations. Or ideas that would work at multiple levels.

Fearan
2012-04-10, 02:59 PM
Arcane caster: - celerity -> timestop -> Gate solar. -> Foresight.
Or celerity -> teleport whole party on personal demiplan

You really should specify the level

Aeryr
2012-04-10, 03:06 PM
Divination/gather information/survival ASAP to know what you are facing.

In case that seems impossible, hiding/invisibility (it can be achieved at different levels of efficiency depending on character level) + major image (or other illusions, maybe adding ghost sound or prestidigitation) so the illusion is attacked giving a surprise action, making the enemy waste resources and with clever positioning gain terrain advantage.

Illusions are better than summons imo since maybe the enemy is stalking you (the party) specifically and disguise a summon as the party is harder than just creating an illusion of the party.

kulosle
2012-04-10, 03:08 PM
Lets go pre stupid high levels. Most campaigns seem to end at around level 12 so lets not go too much higher than that because then the answer is obvious. And no clarity or contingency shenanigans. So lets say at levels 1, 6, and 12.

Tokuhara
2012-04-10, 04:51 PM
Plan A: Wizard uses a fire spell and burns the jungle down. Fight target as normal.

Plan B: See Plan A