PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Can/should a caster be harmed by the divine component of its own Flame Strike?

rmg22893
2012-04-10, 03:13 PM
I know by RAW it says nothing about the caster being immune to its own divine power, but does it make sense for the caster to be harmed by it? I just can't get over the imagery of a druid being swamped by enemies, then calling a pillar of flame down from the heavens. When the smoke clears, they stand unscathed in the midst of a pile of ash. This is, of course, assuming resistance or immunity to fire.

Garagos
2012-04-10, 03:30 PM
I don't know if there is any place in the books thats gonna rule one way or the other on this specifically. If I were the DM, I'd probably make you take the damage. Warlocks aren't immune to their own Eldritch Blast area effects (AFAIK), so I don't see why a divine caster should be immune to divine energy, even if its their own divine energy.

Alefiend
2012-04-10, 03:30 PM
It makes sense to me. Think of it as a chance at martyrdom.

Besides, just about no damaging effects in 3.5 include personal or ally immunity. If you hold a charge of Inflict Moderate Wounds and pause to scratch your wrinklies, you're in for a rude shock. :smallamused:

Diarmuid
2012-04-10, 03:31 PM
I'm going to agree with Garagos there. The energy is just energy. You're molding and shaping it into the destructive force by casting the spell. If you happen to be in the way, you're going to be effected just like anyone else in the AoE.

darkbuu_1
2012-04-10, 03:31 PM
I'd personally say yes, the ability to make a an explosion shouldn't make you immune to it regardless of what it's made off. But this is just how I'd rule it.

Edit: ... SLOW...

Rift_Wolf
2012-04-10, 03:52 PM
If you really want this with a druid, take the Fire Domain for Natures Bond. Otherwise, Fire Domain Cleric or Wizard/Sorcerer with ring of resist fire.

rmg22893
2012-04-10, 03:54 PM
If you really want this with a druid, take the Fire Domain for Natures Bond. Otherwise, Fire Domain Cleric or Wizard/Sorcerer with ring of resist fire.

I have immunity to fire through buffs. It's the half untyped divine power damage that I'm worried about.

Particle_Man
2012-04-10, 04:46 PM
Change your race to Treant and your class to Druid and cast Fire Storm? :smallbiggrin: