PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Cloudy Conjuration Clarification

Unusual Muse
2012-04-10, 05:07 PM
Cloudy Conjuration states that you can place the center of the 5' radius cloud in or adjacent to your square, or in or adjacent to the square of your target. I don't see anything that prevents it from harming the caster, so why would you ever want it to affect your square or the one next to you?

The Mentalist
2012-04-10, 05:09 PM
Because you're Warforged or Necropolitan (sp?) and are immune to it. :smallcool:

eggs
2012-04-10, 05:17 PM
Cloudy Conjuration states that you can place the center of the 5' radius cloud in or adjacent to your square, or in or adjacent to the square of your target. I don't see anything that prevents it from harming the caster, so why would you ever want it to affect your square or the one next to you?
It's Total Concealment. That can be a major buff (blocks targeted effects, 50% miss against things like arrows or rays), and if you aren't making attack rolls or saves, Sickened doesn't necessarily hurt.

Swiftest
2012-04-10, 10:23 PM
Just as Eggs says, I can think of many times when I'd trade the sickened condition for 50% concealment. It all depends on the situation. If you've got a bunch of archers who are all going to be shooting at the dreaded enemy spellcaster in the next round and you're out of wind walls (or want to do something else) then 50% concealment looks pretty good.

FMArthur
2012-04-11, 09:53 AM
Radii for effects are centred on the vertices of the D&D grid, not the spaces themselves. A 5ft radius cloud is 4 squares in two-dimensional space, not 9. When you place the effect in a particular space, you choose any of the four corners of that space to centre it. So when you are told the effect can be in an adjacent square to you, you can then choose a distant corner of that square. That way you're not in the effect if it's only a 5ft radius.