PDA

View Full Version : Lets think of cool Ranger combat styles extras!

ngilop
2012-04-10, 05:44 PM
Hey guys, I am trying to 'buff' the ranger's combat styles.

the problem is.. i am pretty terrible at it, like really really bad at it.

so bad that i really only have the first combat style down to a place where I think its nice..

what I have thought out so far is this

{table=head]Level|Archery|Dual wield | Progression
2nd|Bonus Damage|Temporary HP|Combat Style|
6th|???|???|Improved Combat Style|
11th|???|???|Supreme Combat Style|
16th|???|???|Combat Style Mastery|
[/table]

bonus damage is the first successful attack in a round via archery combat style path deals an extra 1 damager per ranger level.

Temporary hit points are teh first successful attack in a round gives teh ranger a number of temporary hit points equal to 3+ 2 per ranger level. (this effectively allows the ranger to 'dump' consitition and be able to front line fight some bad guys withotu worrying about his low HP)

other than this I have no idea what I should do, so I come here to seek help from your fellow GITPers

Yitzi
2012-04-10, 09:57 PM
You want stuff that actually synergizes with the chosen style. So here's an idea of some extras (I'm not adding supreme combat style, as there is no such thing; mastery comes at 11th):

Archery:
-The basic style allows you to add DEX to damage with all ranged attacks, up to a maximum of half your class level.
-The advanced style lets you reduce all concealment-based miss chances (e.g. displacement, blur) by 2% per class level, and reduce all ranged-specific miss chances (e.g. Entropic Shield, or Wind Wall with anything other than arrows and bolts) by 5% per class level. In addition, you treat all "ranged attacks don't work" effects (such as Wind Wall vs. arrows, or Deflect Arrows) as a 100% miss chance, so you have a 5% per level chance of bypassing it.
-Mastery allows you to ignore half of all armor, shield, and natural armor bonuses to your target's AC.

2WF:
-The basic style allows you to attack once with each weapon as a standard action or AoO.
-The advanced style allows you to parry, similar to the Pathfinder duelist ability. You don't need a piercing weapon for this.
-Once you attain mastery, every successful hit decreases the target's AC by 1 until you go a full round without hitting him.

If you want grandmastery at 16th, how about:

Archery: Your threat range increases to 2-20 (every hit threatens a critical.)
2WF: If you hit with both weapons, you deal rend damage, and get to attack with both weapons again.

ngilop
2012-04-11, 05:38 PM
those are some good ideas

though i have to say that I heartily dislike the fact that you do manage to say in teh very first sentance
I'm not adding supreme combat style, as there is no such thing; mastery comes at 11th):

that very astute of you.. also equally astute is the fact that you come to a homebrewed thread in a homebrewed forum with a homebrewed new set of rules and say that that same homebrewed item does not exist so you are going to ignore it.

Grod_The_Giant
2012-04-11, 06:30 PM
Copied from my Ranger homebrew:

{table=head]Level|Archery|Two-Weapon Fighting
Basic|You never provoke attacks of opportunity for using ranged weapons, and you may add your Dexterity modifier to damage rolls. You also gain Precise Shot* as a bonus feat, even if you do not meet the prerequisites.|When wielding a weapon in each hand, you may add your Dexterity modifier to damage. You also gain Two-Weapon Fighting* as a bonus feat, even if you do not meet the prerequisites.
Improved|Your arrows are unaffected by nonmagical winds. You may ignore the miss chance from magical winds and barriers such as wind wall or entropic shield as long as your attack roll exceeds your target’s armor class by 5 or more.|When wielding two weapons (or a two-sided weapon) and attacking a foe with damage reduction, each consecutive hit ignores an additional five points of DR. For example, against a creature with DR 10/—, damage from your first attack would be reduced by 10, damage from your second attack would be reduced by 5, and damage from your third attack, and any subsequent attacks, would not be reduced at all. This reduction resets at the end of your turn.
Greater|As a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity, you may make a single ranged attack against every enemy in a 20ft radius, centered anywhere within one range increment of your currently wielded weapon.|When wielding two weapons (or a two-sided weapon), and attacked in melee, you may make an opposed attack roll. If successful, you block the attack and suffer no ill effects. If you succeed by 5 or more, you may immediately make a single attack with your off hand. You may use this ability a number of times per round equal to your Dexterity modifier. If you have the Deflect Arrows feat, you may use this ability to block ranged attacks. If you succeed by 5 or more, you may chose to deflect the arrow into any target within 30ft, using the original attack roll.
Master|When wielding a ranged weapon, you may make ranged attacks of opportunity against any target within one-half the range increment of your currently wielded weapon, rounded down. You may make a number of ranged attacks of opportunity each turn equal to your Dexterity modifier. This does not stack with the Combat Reflexes feat.|When wielding two weapons (or a two-sided weapon), as a standard action you may move up to your speed and make a full attack. You do not provoke attacks of opportunity for this movement.
Perfect|As a standard action, you may move up to your speed and make a number of attacks at your full base attack bonus equal to your Dexterity modifier. You do not provoke attacks of opportunity for this movement.|When wielding two weapons, any time you are capable of making one or more melee attacks, such as an attack of opportunity, you may make a full attack.[/table]

Yitzi
2012-04-11, 09:35 PM
those are some good ideas

though i have to say that I heartily dislike the fact that you do manage to say in teh very first sentance

that very astute of you.. also equally astute is the fact that you come to a homebrewed thread in a homebrewed forum with a homebrewed new set of rules and say that that same homebrewed item does not exist so you are going to ignore it.

If you're going to name three of your four levels after existing ones, you should really make it clear that the new level is part of a homebrew and not some sort of mistake. In case it wasn't a mistake, I did add suggestions for the fourth level as well, although you should leave "mastery" at 11th and have 16th be "grandmastery" to avoid confusion.

Steward
2012-04-11, 10:41 PM
If I'm reading that right, Supreme is intended to come in between the two existing levels, right? Kind of like an "intermediate" + 1 or something? (It's better than Improved but not on the level of Mastery).

ngilop
2012-04-11, 10:52 PM
yes you are correct steward. looking at the combat style progression iw as liek uh.. why does it just suddenly END at lvl 11?

of course I still let the rangers keep theri feats during those points ( i medled two weapon rend and Imp two weapon fighting into the same feat onyl rend deals 1d6+1 per BaB)

i was thinking to put it in terms of equal poweered abilities

that the basic shoudl equal 1st level maneuvers from ToB
(the TWF one is reminsicent of stonebones.. i think?)

so at 6th you get what equals a 3rd level maneuvers
11th a 5th and finally at 16th a 7th.

i by equal i mena in terms of Power and usefulness.

was thiking of maing the 11th level archeyr style where he counts as threaneing as if one were in melee, does that sound cool?

Steward
2012-04-11, 11:23 PM
yes you are correct steward. looking at the combat style progression iw as liek uh.. why does it just suddenly END at lvl 11?

You're right! I mean, I know multiclassing is very popular, but I've always felt that every base class should be designed to progress up to level 20. Players can multiclass if they want, especially if they want to optimize for a specific purpose, but they shouldn't have to in order to be viable. Apart from a few boosts to their Hide skill and an enhancement to favored enemy ability, rangers really don't get anything new after 11th level, actually.

And I never really noticed that part too, but their main class feature (combat style) just stops at level 11! Can you imagine if any other class was built that way? If a sorcerer's spell progression just stopped advancing at level 9, or if a rogue's sneak attack didn't improve past level 6 or something? Bizarre!