PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Paxton Fettel, Ghost Warlock

Heatwizard
2012-04-11, 06:08 AM
I've been playing Fear 3, and Fettel is totally a ghost with Warlock levels. Anyway, in my campaign, mid-game chatter wandered onto the topic of 'It's OK if I die, I have a backup character statted and backgrounded out and ready to go at a moment's notice!'. A wizard, focused conjurer, to be exact. The rogue says 'Hey what a coincidence, my backup character is also a wizard!' Oops. I thought about what I should keep on hand as a second backup, in case I don't get first dibs on the wizard slot, and I recall that the elf cleric got in a scuffle with his brother in his backstory and accidentally killed him. It's a sign!

Elf SS Ghost (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a) 1/Warlock 3/Ghost +1/Warlock +3/Ghost +1/Warlock +3/Ghost +1/Hellfire Warlock 3/Warlock +4 (Ghost 4/Warlock 13/Hellfire Warlock 3)
Str 8, Dex 16, Con --, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 18

1st level: Frightful Blast
2nd: See The Unseen
Ghost 2: Telekinesis
4th: Eldritch Glaive
6th: Flee The Scene
8th: Hellrime Blast
Ghost 4: Malevolence
10th: Curse of Despair? Dead Walk?
11th: Vitriolic Blast
13th: Chilling Tentacles
15th: Penetrating Blast?
16th: Utterdark Blast

I was pondering what I could do with Malevolence, aside from have fun possessing dudes and screwing with their friends, and then slicing my own throat open when I'm done. Simultaneously, I was bemoaning the fact that I can't use Hellfire because I don't have a Con score. It took me longer then I'd like to figure out that these things fit each other very well; possess a man, use his Con to power Hellfire Blasts. When he's out of Con, go find someone else who isn't! Rendering dudes shaken via Frightful Blast lowers their will saves, making Malevolence more likely to succeed; plus, as a will save blast itself, I can use it to get a feel for how the opposition's will saves are. And since I'll be investing in Intimidate to get into Hellfire, I can intimidate them past shaken and then shoot them again into panicked. I'll have 16 health a level and a 50% miss chance all the time, on top of how I the ghost don't take damage when the meat-shell I'm driving gets attacked, so I'll be hard to kill, on top of the level check to come back. Plus, when things start being bad, I can just sneak back into the Ethereal.

I don't have any feats. I figure I'll start out with Flyby Attack, since I'm a zombie goast and I get a fly speed from day 1; but other then that, I'm not really sure what to do with 'em, aside from shell out for extra invocations. Anyone got any bright ideas? It's not a high-op game, so feel free to suggest goofy fun stuff.

jara
2012-04-11, 08:22 AM
i was about to get on you about the no con score, then i kept reading. brilliant idea.

as for the feats, i would say flyby attack is hilarious with incorporeal undead. lurk 5ft under the floor, pop up to eldritch blast, then pop back down. you'll almost never be hit. it may get a bit old with the group if you do that too much, though. also, that's only when you're not possessing someone.

other than that, maybe pick up a few extra invocations, like you said. point blank shot and precise shot are decent choices for a warlock, and they can lead into ranged disarm, which is loads of fun. there are also the meta-SLA feats, like maximize, which are be useful.