PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding resources for a speech.

BizzaroStormy
2012-04-11, 10:10 AM
In a couple days, i need to deliver a speech to my public speaking class. I won't mention the topic since it will likely cause a political debate but does anyone know where I can find data on the effects of humanitarian aid sent to 3rd world countries and countries his by disasters?

Savannah
2012-04-11, 07:50 PM
1) Google
2) Librarian (seriously, they're paid to help you find information)

Serpentine
2012-04-11, 08:27 PM
Google Scholar, in particular.

Dr.Epic
2012-04-11, 11:24 PM
1) Google
2) Librarian (seriously, they're paid to help you find information)

Also Wiki. I would just look at the cited sources and follow the links to those sites.

BizzaroStormy
2012-04-12, 09:22 AM
one problem is that google searches only tend to turn up results for AIDS, the disease. I also don't have a library for 40 miles and the one at the college doesn't appear to hire any sentient lifeforms.

Tirian
2012-04-12, 09:40 AM
You can search for "international disaster assistance" and get sites that seem pretty targeted.

BizzaroStormy
2012-04-12, 09:50 AM
im not looking for disaster relief though. I'm looking for general aid that is sent to assist nations that no longer provide for themselves. While I have found one article from a german magazine that gives great insight into the topic, that only covers one of the five sources im going to need.

Savannah
2012-04-12, 09:56 AM
Umm...I copy-pasted directly from your original post and googled "effects of humanitarian aid sent to third world countries" (a bit wordy, but still) and found no sites talking about AIDS -- they all seemed to be what you're looking for :smallconfused:

BizzaroStormy
2012-04-12, 01:08 PM
Umm...I copy-pasted directly from your original post and googled "effects of humanitarian aid sent to third world countries" (a bit wordy, but still) and found no sites talking about AIDS -- they all seemed to be what you're looking for :smallconfused:

i believe when i used google the first time, I didn't use the word "humanitarian" so most of the results were based on "effects of AIDS on 3rd world countries"

Person_Man
2012-04-19, 07:52 AM
First, try and find any conferences, roundtables, meeting, or similar events that have ever been held on your topic. It's highly probable that they've put their Powerpoint presentations online, and sometimes have meeting minutes. At the very least, you should be able to find agendas. Look at the names on the agendas, and try and find out if they've presented at other conferences, written any publications, or work for organizations that handle your topic.

Organization that works on your topic will almost always have publications supporting their cause. Even if it's just their annual report to their board of directors, it should contain a ton of information on your topic.

Also, look for staff members who work for that organization with a PhD. By definition they have a thesis, which will probably be on the topic you are speaking on.

UserClone
2012-04-22, 12:43 PM
In an unrelated point, your next speech topic should come from Everything is Going to Kill Everybody. Seriously, everyone should know the crap in that book. :smallwink: