PDA

View Full Version : Classes Based around Electricity

VGLordR2
2012-04-11, 12:25 PM
Hey, guys. I've been looking for a base class that primarily uses electricity/lightning. I think something like that would be really cool to base a character around. However, much Googling has not turned up any class like this; the best I've found is a homebrewed Lightning Warrior.If you know of anything from any sourcebook, please let me know. Thanks in advance. :smallsmile:

BillyBobJoe
2012-04-11, 12:29 PM
... *snerk*. The Lightning Warrior's a joke class, by the way, and not intended for actual use. Anyways, you could probably use the Electrokineticist (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625e) from here, if you wanted to go that route. There's also some from Races of the Wild, Stormwrack, and maybe Frostburn.

deuxhero
2012-04-11, 12:33 PM
How is it a joke class? Sure it sacrifices power for flavor and doesn't have a familiar, but...

Flickerdart
2012-04-11, 12:35 PM
It's pretty simple to build a blaster that focuses on Electricity spells or powers. Generally, what you're looking for is too narrow a focus for a base class to have.

DoctorGlock
2012-04-11, 12:43 PM
Stormlord of Talos, CD i think

Stormcaster (Stormwrack)

Stormsinger (Complete Psi)

Storm Disciple (Frostburn)

All are prestige classes, but grab an caster and go for them, boom, instant electroman

nedz
2012-04-11, 12:58 PM
Warmage, but only cast the lightning spells.
Sorceror, but only know electric spells.
Wizard, but only learn ...
Druid, but ...

Top any of these off with Elemenatal Savant, just to make sure.

Igneel
2012-04-11, 01:23 PM
Warmage, but only cast the lightning spells.
Sorceror, but only know electric spells.
Wizard, but only learn ...
Druid, but ...

Top any of these off with Elemenatal Savant, just to make sure.

Throw in the Storm Bolt Reserve feat in Complete Mage, and as long as you have a 3rd or higher level electric spell you always have a 20ft lightning bolt that deals 1d6/level of highest electric spell. According to the book, you don't need to roll an attack, but I think it was edited to include an attack roll (I forget).

Flickerdart
2012-04-11, 01:24 PM
Throw in the Storm Bolt Reserve feat in Complete Mage, and as long as you have a 3rd or higher level electric spell you always have a 20ft lightning bolt that deals 1d6/level of highest electric spell. According to the book, you don't need to roll an attack, but I think it was edited to include an attack roll (I forget).
Storm Bolt was given errata for a Reflex save to deal half damage.

The Ogre
2012-04-11, 01:26 PM
At level 2, a dragonfire adept can choose either cold or lightning as a breath effect to augment their breath weapon. Choose lightning and go to town by breathing electricity on your enemies. With the addition of metabreath feats, a dragonfire adept can pull his weight around and contribute quite a bit to the party.

Igneel
2012-04-11, 01:34 PM
Storm Bolt was given errata for a Reflex save to deal half damage.

Goes to show that I need to hunt down more of the errata's since apparently I don't have them all... Still, if the DM doesn't know about it... *shifty eye*

At level 2, a dragonfire adept can choose either cold or lightning as a breath effect to augment their breath weapon. Choose lightning and go to town by breathing electricity on your enemies. With the addition of metabreath feats, a dragonfire adept can pull his weight around and contribute quite a bit to the party.

*Insert arbitrary argument about ways to get Metabreath legalized* (personal favorite is either the Dragonborn way, or the Dragon Graft way pending starting level)

Besides that, a once every other round (same breath effects can only be applied every other round) and unless you stick with DfA (which I don't see why you wouldn't) it doesn't scale with your level. But at least you will always have it to fall back on!

Flickerdart
2012-04-11, 01:37 PM
Some of the CMage errata is in the ToB errata, maybe that's why you missed it.

Darth Stabber
2012-04-11, 01:38 PM
I'd make sure to have something else up you sleeve other than electricity, because resistance/immunity exist. And avoid elemental savant like the plague (not enough caster progression and makes your other energy typed spells terrible).

I'd say go psion(kineticist) or wilder focused on psychokinesis. Pick up a bunch of energy powers and manifest them as lightning. As soon a lightning isn't working you can switch up to a more effective type for the job. I reccomend bringing the thunder (sonic).

*Insert arbitrary argument about ways to get Metabreath legalized* (personal favorite is either the Dragonborn way, or the Dragon Graft way pending starting level)

Neither of these will allow a metabreath feat to apply to DFA's breath weapon, only to the breath weapon you qualified with. In fact there isn't such a way to my knowledge, because you would have to find a way to give your breath weapon a cooldown.

Dragon shaman is qualified, no shenanigans needed (but the class kinda sucks).

Flickerdart
2012-04-11, 01:56 PM
Entangling Exhalation isn't metabreath, and nobody cares about the other ones.

eggs
2012-04-11, 02:04 PM
Just rattling off the options I'm seeing:

There are a couple really stupid ones like Storm Disciple and Shining Blade. Storm Disciple can at least be recovered, since Ardents are pretty good.

Duskblade and Magus are built around spamming Shocking Grasp at low levels.

Stormsinger, Storm Lord and Storm Caster are solid and balanced Bard/Cleric/[any spellcaster] prestige classes.

Druid, Cleric and Battle Sorcerer (or a more involved build; BS is just easy) all have spells that can make energy weapons that only require touch attacks to hit. With the Born of Three Thunders feat, those weapons deal Electric/Sonic damage and force saves against being stunned and knocked down with every hit. Those builds can be really fun.

Changing Swordsage into a lightning-themed fighter takes just as long as saying "Desert Wind is an electric discipline now."

Energy Substitution makes basically any casting class work.
Dragon Heritage or a Dragon Shaman dip + Dragonfire [Assault/Strike] make basically any melee class work.

Igneel
2012-04-11, 02:39 PM
Neither of these will allow a metabreath feat to apply to DFA's breath weapon, only to the breath weapon you qualified with. In fact there isn't such a way to my knowledge, because you would have to find a way to give your breath weapon a cooldown.

Dragon shaman is qualified, no shenanigans needed (but the class kinda sucks).

Which is where some of the argument comes in as I hinted at.
Some Dm's see metabreaths as metamagic feats in that if you have multiple classes/features that grant an ability that it can be applied to (ex: Wizard/Sorcerer class with metamagic feats) that it can be used in such a way. So with these Dm's if you get a breath that has a cool down, you can use it on ones that don't but transition the 'needed recharge'.
While some say that metabreaths only work for breaths with a cool down. (which is the correct method as I understand it.)
Of course I mentioned those methods above only because they are 'Official' material that can be referenced to easily as opposed to the feat in a Dragon magazine that give a cool down to your DfA breath as a '1 round cool down'. This method works, just have to find a Dm that allows Dragon Mag material. I've had both types of Dms, and I'm just pointing out that some of both do exist and allow such things.

But we aren't here to argue that, so I will concede and I will agree on both fronts of the Dragon Shaman.

lol, agreed on this as well, especially any DfA (or breath weapon capable class) worth his breath weapon should have this feat.

JadePhoenix
2012-04-11, 03:12 PM

Oh, the metabreath feats are fun. How about dealing fire damage to the entire planet for a thousand years?

Talionis
2012-04-11, 03:27 PM
Born of Three Thunders Feat works with Energy Substitution to make all your spells like Fireball, Lightningball. Then stun everything. Find ways to make it so you don't hurt yourself.

I also like Dragonfire Adept, Dark Invocation Instill Vulnerability.

The Ogre
2012-04-11, 05:48 PM
Oh, the metabreath feats are fun. How about dealing fire damage to the entire planet for a thousand years?
This.

Plus, I like to end encounters with a Clinging, Enlarged, Heightened, Lingering, Maximized, Quickened Fivefold Breath of Tiamat (aka Tiamat's Tactical Nuke).

Why does the evil alignment get all the cool toys?

Darth Stabber
2012-04-11, 05:55 PM
Which is where some of the argument comes in as I hinted at.
Some Dm's see metabreaths as metamagic feats in that if you have multiple classes/features that grant an ability that it can be applied to (ex: Wizard/Sorcerer class with metamagic feats) that it can be used in such a way. So with these Dm's if you get a breath that has a cool down, you can use it on ones that don't but transition the 'needed recharge'.
While some say that metabreaths only work for breaths with a cool down. (which is the correct method as I understand it.)
Of course I mentioned those methods above only because they are 'Official' material that can be referenced to easily as opposed to the feat in a Dragon magazine that give a cool down to your DfA breath as a '1 round cool down'. This method works, just have to find a Dm that allows Dragon Mag material. I've had both types of Dms, and I'm just pointing out that some of both do exist and allow such things.

But we aren't here to argue that, so I will concede and I will agree on both fronts of the Dragon Shaman.

lol, agreed on this as well, especially any DfA (or breath weapon capable class) worth his breath weapon should have this feat.

As a GM I tend to be very selective DragonMag content (though I am fine with the bulk of dragon compendium, minus dvati). With that I wouldn't allow the thing that makes DFA able to take metabreath, mostly because it is the only shtick that Dragon Shaman has that's worth anything, whereas DFA has effective stuff it can do without it.

Soranar
2012-04-11, 05:58 PM
While it's not the most powerful class, there is a variant of a pyrokineticist which adapts all of it's powers to another element.

Madcrafter
2012-04-11, 07:29 PM
Born of Three Thunders Feat works with Energy Substitution to make all your spells like Fireball, Lightningball. Then stun everything. Find ways to make it so you don't hurt yourself.

I had a wizard in my party once that did exactly this, and prestiged into stormcaster (I think it was that one). It definitely worked for the electricity caster vibe, plus since he was a wizard, he didn't have to be afraid of not having a backup plan. The stun usually got saved against, but it still got a guy or two most fights.

Roguenewb
2012-04-11, 07:45 PM
Born of three thunders is super cool, but if you wanna be really snazzy....I have an idea. Step 1: get your DM to allow you to take born of three thunders as a metapsionic feat with +0 power points (just spending focus). Step 2: play an educated wilder who knows one or two of the Energy X powers (I recommend Stun and Ray for the lightning theme). Step 3: Only when its thunderstorming (hopefully you pick up an item/class feature/DM fiat that gives you some control of this), Wild Surge as hard as you can on every power and only uring this surges add "Born of Three Psionic Thunders", saying you're channelling the might of the storm. I dunno if this is any good, but i think its crazy flavorful.