PDA

View Full Version : Tanking with out stealing the show?

killem2
2012-04-11, 12:50 PM
Looking for a review, I know a lot of it is going to be subjective as the DM can shift encounters and there is always a bigger fish. But I don't want to be mowing down everyone with out assistance but I want to be a barbarian who's up in everyone's face!

After about a good solid week of looking at options for my friends new campaign he'll be dm'ing, I decided on a Goliath Barbarian, because he allowed LA +1 race. He gave us 900 gp + max starting gold so for me, its 1060 gp and we start out at level 2, unless we chose a la + 1 race and we are level 1. We also rolled 5d6 drop 2 lowest for stats. I did alright, after racials, I'm sitting at:

Str 22
Dex 14
Con 20
Int 15
Wis 10
Cha 10

I bought a master work large greatsword (3d6) (with house rule to choose +1 to hit or damage) so I deal right now with my str/bab/mw, is 3d6 + 10.

He allows flaws, 2x actually, so I chose Shaky and Murky Eyed as my background story will support those flaws and I think they are fair.

I chose the whirling frenzy variant, so I won't get the con bonus, but I will go into insane multiattack rage.

I'm sure later levels, I'll start to wane, the only other info I know is, one of the other players is going to make a warlock.

deuxhero
2012-04-11, 12:51 PM
I think it is harder to do it WITH stealing the show honestly.

dextercorvia
2012-04-11, 01:03 PM
You have 17 HP (Probably the Wizard has 13~14 at this level) and plan to stand in the front line. You can only Rage 1/day, and you can only use your weapon well when you are raging.

What did you take for feats?

Taking the +1 to damage is the wrong choice most of the time here. The +1 to attack is going to give you more overall damage.

killem2
2012-04-11, 01:08 PM
That makes me feel better then :P.

I can change the hit, characters are never concrete until we sit down and open our mouths.

I took combat expertise, improved trip, and improved initiative.

gallagher
2012-04-11, 01:16 PM
you know what would be awesome to tank is if you got your party bard/wizard to cast Miser's Envy targeting an enemy and something you are wearing/holding. you wont be able to get it done yet, but maybe save up and buy a wand of it

dextercorvia
2012-04-11, 01:28 PM
That makes me feel better then :P.

I can change the hit, characters are never concrete until we sit down and open our mouths.

I took combat expertise, improved trip, and improved initiative.

Wolf Totem Barbarian gets Trip at level 2, without needing Combat Expertise or Int 13.

I would skip Goliath and just go Barbarian 2. If you want to give up a level to get bigger, dip Ardent or Psychic Warrior and get something for it.

Andorax
2012-04-11, 01:33 PM
Going a similar route myself for a "side" campaign...when the rest of the group can't show up.

Two players, we decided to try a non-caster group, so I'm going the route of the Goliath Barbarian, but with a bit of a focus on grappling, since the other member of the group is a rogue (I'll hold 'em, you stick 'em).

Anyways, the part I wanted to comment on was the flaws. Do you have only UA to go on, or can you use any of the published/Dragon flaws?

I went with:

Gullible (-2 to enchantment/illusion saves, -4 to sense motive checks)
No Time for Book Learning (can never become literate, -2 to all knowledge checks except for knowledge: nature).

killem2
2012-04-11, 01:37 PM
Going a similar route myself for a "side" campaign...when the rest of the group can't show up.

Two players, we decided to try a non-caster group, so I'm going the route of the Goliath Barbarian, but with a bit of a focus on grappling, since the other member of the group is a rogue (I'll hold 'em, you stick 'em).

Anyways, the part I wanted to comment on was the flaws. Do you have only UA to go on, or can you use any of the published/Dragon flaws?

I went with:

Gullible (-2 to enchantment/illusion saves, -4 to sense motive checks)
No Time for Book Learning (can never become literate, -2 to all knowledge checks except for knowledge: nature).

We can use dragon, I didn't know they had flaws! I'll ask him about these.

Andorax
2012-04-11, 01:51 PM
There are flaws in the following issues:

324 (druids)
324 (paladins)
324 (bards)
325 (barbarians)
326 (clerics)
327 (sorcerers)
328 (nonhumans)
329 (rangers)
330 (commoners, an April issue)
333 (wizards)

Mostly, they're in the Class Acts section in the back.

Kol Korran
2012-04-11, 02:08 PM
a few months ago i ended up DMing a campaign where one of the players played a half giant psiwar (quite similar, can become huge, and had some attacks that added 4d6 to his damage). he dealt very nice damage, and when he critted... lets just say he was mostly responsible for the damage 2 supposed-to-be-recurring-villains took before dying.

though he stole the show at times, it was from from all the time. for one thing- he took so many hits, so much damage the party's healer had to try and keep him alive half of the time. and there were challenges, in battle and outside of battle where the others shone more.

all in all i think he had quite some fun, but i don't think the others felt overshadowed. it's quite dependent on how you work as a team, how balanced the party is, and what challenges does the DM throw at you.

good luck! :smallsmile:

killem2
2012-04-11, 05:50 PM
Sounds good. I can't wait now. From the tone, it appears I might not be as over the top as I thought. Which is good!