PDA

View Full Version : Birthday Themed Adventure

DeathOfAMailman
2012-04-11, 12:56 PM
So it's my friend's birthday on the 13th, and he's decided he wants to run a game for us. Getting past the question of why he would want to subject himself to our group's insanity on what is supposed to be a happy day, I offered to help him out with designing monsters for a birthday-themed adventure. Does anyone have any ideas for the mechanics for things like cupcake golems, terrifying birthday clowns (it will be Friday the 13th!) or pinata dragons? Any birthday themed adventure stories?

DeathOfAMailman
2012-04-11, 07:29 PM
Because I would really like help with this, I feel a little bit justified in bumping.

Roguenewb
2012-04-11, 07:40 PM
Um...isn't there an official calzone golem somewhere? And the Dragon Compendium has the Jester class, you could use that for evil clowns.

skycycle blues
2012-04-11, 07:44 PM
Calzone Golem is here. The stats for it should help making something like a cake monster or something like that.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20010413a

DeathOfAMailman
2012-04-11, 09:43 PM
Calzone Golem is neat, I can definitely use that. I might just use a Grey Jester for the clowns.

Fyermind
2012-04-12, 03:40 AM
Probably too late now, but a prince is having a birthday. To celebrate his father has hired an acting troop to come and perform. But the actors have no interest in performing. The Grey Jesters and a few hags are let into the castle but immediately start causing mayhem. The guests of the prince (the players) are called upon to save the castle from the pranks and chaos, protect the birthday cake, and salvage the day.

Draw out a simple great hall with tables. Attach a kitchen and pantry. Get stables, a living quarters for staff, a smithy barracks for soldiers, armory, and a nice house for the prince. Find a few things about how each room should be and what could be done to damage it. Release the evil critters and a few minor ones like imps or pixies to just cause mischief. Cityscape and DMGII both have rules for swarms of big creatures. One of them has stats for a stampede. Release the stables!

Generally have fun, be silly, but try to keep the premise plausible is my advice. It is much easier to control a group and have a good time when the jokes are in game not out of game.

DeathOfAMailman
2012-04-12, 11:08 AM
Probably too late now, but a prince is having a birthday. To celebrate his father has hired an acting troop to come and perform. But the actors have no interest in performing. The Grey Jesters and a few hags are let into the castle but immediately start causing mayhem. The guests of the prince (the players) are called upon to save the castle from the pranks and chaos, protect the birthday cake, and salvage the day.

Draw out a simple great hall with tables. Attach a kitchen and pantry. Get stables, a living quarters for staff, a smithy barracks for soldiers, armory, and a nice house for the prince. Find a few things about how each room should be and what could be done to damage it. Release the evil critters and a few minor ones like imps or pixies to just cause mischief. Cityscape and DMGII both have rules for swarms of big creatures. One of them has stats for a stampede. Release the stables!

Generally have fun, be silly, but try to keep the premise plausible is my advice. It is much easier to control a group and have a good time when the jokes are in game not out of game.

This is brilliant! I'll definitely try to make use of this :smallsmile: