PDA

View Full Version : is there a good way to make Psion and Beast-master mesh?

big teej
2012-04-11, 01:55 PM
greetings playgrounders,

some time ago, I created a Psion that had 2 war-hounds to provide some extra muscle and protection.

it belatedly occured to me that, just like with mounts, the hounds will not grow in strength along with my Psion...

I don't like the idea of replacing my hounds every fight.

it occured to me that the Beastmaster (I think that's what it's called) allows you to have multiple companions that DO progress with you.

however, I'm fairly certain that psion doesn't mesh well with it.

so..... can it be made to work?

Akal Saris
2012-04-11, 02:25 PM
Well, there isn't a lot of synergy between the two, but it doesn't mean it won't result in a fun character.

Some suggestions:
-Look into Beast Heart Adept from Dungeonscape. It's similar to Beastmaster but the companions are all monsters (chimera, owlbear, blink dog, etc), which is pretty cool. The class features are also stronger.
-You won't progress your psion abilities, so try to get powers that don't rely too much on saving throws or scaling from level. Practiced Manifester (Complete Psi) will also help mitigate the pain a bit

-If you just want minions to aid your psion, maybe you could consider these options:
1. Astral Construct
2. Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) feat
3. Leadership
4. Thrallherd prestige class

Good luck!

eggs
2012-04-11, 02:44 PM
Between Natural Bond, Practiced Manifester, Ardent, a Major Bloodline and Beastmaster, you could get a 19th level druid companion and level-appropriate powers (up to level 9). But the PP would be abysmal, and you'd be a level behind for half your career.

Is Formbound Surger (http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/formbound-surger) an option? It makes the concept much easier to achieve.

big teej
2012-04-11, 06:56 PM
I think.... what I'm going to try and do.

is get the DM to okay Wild Cohort, and then have said cohort take leadership, thus still acquiring me a pack of war-hounds, preserve my psychic powers, and (hopefully) not completely shattering the game.

...I think I'd let people do that.... which is grounds enough for me to ask.

Lateral
2012-04-11, 07:47 PM
I think.... what I'm going to try and do.

is get the DM to okay Wild Cohort, and then have said cohort take leadership, thus still acquiring me a pack of war-hounds, preserve my psychic powers, and (hopefully) not completely shattering the game.

...I think I'd let people do that.... which is grounds enough for me to ask.

Your companion probably doesn't qualify for Leadership (and it doesn't really make sense for it to in the first place), but how about having your Wild Cohorts take Wild Cohort as a feat? It can be taken at 1st level with no prerequisites, so no worries there, plus you'll basically be able to get a pack of wolves as large as you want, plus a couple that could be more powerful if you're at higher levels.

Roguenewb
2012-04-11, 07:51 PM
Wild Cohort is good, but im pretty sure that animal companions are "totally typical for their type" and you can't change their feats by RAW

big teej
2012-04-11, 08:16 PM
Your companion probably doesn't qualify for Leadership (and it doesn't really make sense for it to in the first place), but how about having your Wild Cohorts take Wild Cohort as a feat? It can be taken at 1st level with no prerequisites, so no worries there, plus you'll basically be able to get a pack of wolves as large as you want, plus a couple that could be more powerful if you're at higher levels.

-handwave- semantics, I'm going to have a cohort who has cohorts that have cohorts.

:smalltongue:

Wild Cohort is good, but im pretty sure that animal companions are "totally typical for their type" and you can't change their feats by RAW

you are most likely correct, but my understanding is that creatures/monsters/whatever still get a new feat every 3 hd as well.

Flickerdart
2012-04-11, 10:17 PM
Just take Expanded Knowledge for Astral Construct, and then pick up a couple levels of Constructor so that you can plop down two at a time.