PDA

View Full Version : [3.5E] Heretic's Bane Armory Group

King Tius
2012-04-11, 03:06 PM
The chanting of the slaves dies down as the roars of the dragons grow louder. The rag-tag militia begin milling about, trying to take up defensive positions within the armory. While the building is quite large, with so many people and supplies inside it is difficult to organize.

Up on the roof, the men move into position and get ready to meet the dragon head on.

Armory Map

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg831/scaled.php?server=831&filename=armory1.png&res=landing

Those weird things in the bottom left are supposed to be wagons.

Note 1: Please place yourselves within the armory. Any directing of troops can be done IC or more quickly OOC as you see fit.

Note 2: Toliudar, the roof has the same footprint as the main map. Please use the grid coordinates to map out how you want the archers arranged. I'll get you a second map soon.

Since Mike wants to keep the three groups split up, feel free to post all OOC stuff in this thread as well. Please just make sure you mark it OOC so things are easier to keep track of.

thorgrim29
2012-04-11, 04:47 PM
I'm assuming Thordrek's here so here it goes:

Having finally figured out how the harpoons work, Thordrek put's the belt on and heads out to the roof, figuring that would be the best place to make order out of chaos and contribute to the fight.

((So, how do they work anyway? Imagine he threw them at the wall until he figured it out, he's a pretty smart guy))

mshady
2012-04-11, 08:26 PM
OOC: Thordek the Harpoon Commander...

I would assume he figured them out pretty quickly. He has seen immovable rods before. You just put them where you want them and will them to grab on to something. They're not going to move. Of course, what it is hooked into might move. If you put it on sod... well, its a patch of grass and there you go :)

Your cable, as strong as it is, might or the harpoon might get pulled out of its target but the rod isn't going to move.

The idea seems to be you connect the rod to the ground or a wall or something and throw the harpoon at the target. The target isn't getting away, at least without some extra damage.

Is Thordek carrying all four? I ask because they are fairly large... 4 - 5 feet long and a bit hefty.

thorgrim29
2012-04-11, 10:24 PM
What about the old dwarven belt they're hooked to? And yeah, he's taking them all. 2 other questions, are the harpoons themselves magical? And how long is the chain? what's it made of?

loopy
2012-04-12, 03:07 AM
OOC: Viktor and Tec'Lic will be in the Armory with us as well. Just remembered I've forgotten to outfit them. Should I create character sheets for them?

mshady
2012-04-13, 05:52 AM
The harpoons are magical. +1 Harpoons, effectively.

The harpoons are not attached to the belt or anything. The belt was just on a hook next to them. Presumably, being stronger helps you throw them, so hence the belt but that is all the relationship.

Mike

thorgrim29
2012-04-13, 07:25 AM
Soooo Belt of giant strength? Cool, +4, +6?

mshady
2012-04-14, 07:22 AM
Call it +4 Strength.

thorgrim29
2012-04-14, 10:28 AM
Sweet. Are they martial weapons, exotic? How long is the chain, what's it made of? What's their damage, range increment? There are 5 of them right?

Thordrek:

Changing his mind, Thordrek head's over to Johannes.

Do you think they'll fight? At least we don't have to worry about reinforcements, I'd bet that the others heard the big beasty.

He motions the harpoons

These might come in handy, fix the rod on the ground and shoot the wyrm while it's on the wing, ideally in it's gullet, that should do a fair bit of damage when it comes out. Unfortunately I've never used one of these so my accuracy might be off

mshady
2012-04-14, 12:11 PM
Harpoons:

I would assume they are martial weapons. They're big spheres, and Thordek's a big boy. He can figure it out.

Assume they are 1d12 + 1 + Strength throwing weapons. Crit on 19-20/2x

Range Increment is a beast: 10 feet - Because they are heavy.

The cable has 50 of line (seems like a good number) and is made out of adamantine cable. I'll figure out the burst check, but it is going to be fairly high but not impossibly so.

Should be 4 of them, I thought? Whatever I posted, go with that :)

thorgrim29
2012-04-14, 05:09 PM
Awesome.

Thordrek takes CLW potions until he's healed completely:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

He then uses a scroll he picked up, granting himself protection from cold damage, and spends a charge from his animalistic power wand and moves his iron wall rod to his belt

((What's the CL on the protection from energy scroll the wizard had?))

Well, I'm as ready for this as I'm likely to be, bring it on!

mshady
2012-04-15, 05:41 PM
Outside the Armory - Sable and Bundok

The two scouts stand behind the armory, looking at the stairs and wondering how soon they will have to run for their lives up it. Both have their ranged weapons out, ready to pelt anyone who came down it, but so far nothing...

That was when they heard the roar of the dragon. Of the dragons and shared a horrified look at realizing something they had been expecting but not hoping for had come.

"Ach, here come some more. Some more scaly lovelies!" Bundok says, with little enthusiasm.

Sable cringes slightly and looks up, with her bow following her eyes.

"Well, if there is good news, its coming from above and not down the stairs so we don't be the first it hits" Sable says calmly. "That also means we get to hit it instead of it hitting us"

"Oi! I be lik'n that idea, I do" Bundok smirks and pats one of his axes. Getting a taste of dragon blood for his axes would be a sweet thing. A stand up fight, however, wasn't quite his forte. His craft was his best defense, but there was little room for it here.

None the less, Sable seemed to have a plan...

King Tius
2012-04-15, 09:20 PM
Enter The Dragons
Those up on the roof and standing outside the armory look up to the great opening in the ceiling to see a truly terrifying sight headed their way. A dragon appears, swooping down into the cavern with its wings tucked to its sides as it plummets towards the Temple like a great white bullet. Almost as soon as it appears another dragon comes swooping down after it, similarly aiming for the Temple. Just when it seems like things couldn't get any worse, a THIRD dragon appears, considerably larger than the other two. Rather than nose diving, this one has its wings spread wide as it falls, slowing its descent. It is difficult to tell from this distance, but the dragon seems to be glistening like a great crystal, though it could just be a trick of the light off its scales.

The archers on the roof begin to murmur and shuffle about in a state of mild panic. One dragon was terrifying enough, but three?

Inside the Armory
The roars of three distinct dragons can now be heard as you wait for the hammer to fall. Judging by the shuffling sounds you hear from up on the roof, the brave souls who chose to face the dragons head on are none too pleased by this discovery. Whatever actions you want to take before the dragons get here, you better do it quickly...

Everyone please roll initiatives!

thorgrim29
2012-04-15, 09:46 PM
Thordrek turns to Johannes

Well that's not good, do you have a plan? Right now I'm thinking pray to the gods and buy the others time enough to set the stoneburner off, but any other idea would be welcome

initiative: [roll0]

mshady
2012-04-18, 05:40 AM
OOC: Viktor and Tec'Lic will be in the Armory with us as well. Just remembered I've forgotten to outfit them. Should I create character sheets for them?

Could you? Level 5 barb and Bard, I would think? Just do it on Myth-weavers, standard gear for level, and delegate King Tius, Strangie and myself as editors, ok?

Thanks!!

thorgrim29
2012-04-19, 10:21 AM
((So, I'm not all that clear on dragon repartition, each group gets one, and the big'un goes to the triage group? Is that it?))

mshady
2012-04-26, 05:09 PM
DM Post Move:

Eoin Shatterbond

Spoiler

Eoin, ready for battle, takes position at the rear of the room and waits for whatever monstrosity that may enter the armory. Eldritch energy crackles at his fingertips as he prepares for the battle.

(OOC: Eoin readies an Eldritch Spear to be fired at the first enemy he sees.)

mshady
2012-04-26, 05:12 PM
((So, I'm not all that clear on dragon repartition, each group gets one, and the big'un goes to the triage group? Is that it?))

Yeah, each group MAY get one. One group could get two, or more. We will see how King handles the split, than he will run a group and I will. Strangie might draw one too, if he wants. King should have posts up tonight or tomorrow.

King Tius
2012-04-27, 02:07 AM
On the Roof
The two dragons continue their swift descent and strike the top of the temple almost at the same time. The larger dragon settles down gently beside them, peering into the great hole. From this angle you can now see that the largest of the dragons has a rider on its back. With the ballista loaded and a few of your archers still around, it sees as good a time as any to start the attack.

The first volley of arrows go sailing towards the trio of dragons but fall well short of their marks. Adjusting for the distance, the second volley manages to land within the area with one arrow actually scoring a hit on one of the smaller dragons. It turns to regard the archers on top of the armory and takes to wing, headed straight for you. The two men at the ballista take aim and wait for the dragon to get closer before letting loose. As one of the smaller whites moves to attack you, the larger one with the rider (clad in armor but difficult to make out any other features) takes off towards the Triage group. The other white drops down out of sight inside the temple.

Down Below
With little to hear and even less to see, everyone inside the armory must wait nervously for the fight to come to them.

OOC: Still need the rest of those initiatives...Time to start posting in combat moves

Toliudar
2012-04-27, 10:04 AM
Sweet. Are they martial weapons, exotic? How long is the chain, what's it made of? What's their damage, range increment? There are 5 of them right?

Thordrek:

Changing his mind, Thordrek head's over to Johannes.

Do you think they'll fight? At least we don't have to worry about reinforcements, I'd bet that the others heard the big beasty.

He motions the harpoons

These might come in handy, fix the rod on the ground and shoot the wyrm while it's on the wing, ideally in it's gullet, that should do a fair bit of damage when it comes out. Unfortunately I've never used one of these so my accuracy might be off

Sorry - I just noticed the split off to this thread. Working to catch up now.

Initiative: [roll0]

Please oh please, can the mercenaries be up here with us? If I have no way of knowing Tec'lik is a bard, just let me know and I'll amend my post. But we could really, really use some Inspire Courage right now, and to not use the bard music effect when we have it is suicidally dumb.

Ret-Con

Johannes gestures to the coiled rope he has secured by the hiding spot he shares with Thordrek. He has a series of arrows with larger heads arrayed in his quiver, and the smell of resin fills the air.

"Plans? Always. Will they work? Well, that's why there are contingency plans. If we can keep at least most of these archers - and I use that term as a kindness - up here with us, we'll become a target for any dragon that comes with us. So plan A is to draw a dragon close but not too close, and have you throw that harpoon so that it sticks into the dragon and stays in place, keeping it out of reach of us. It's still a fantastically dangerous killing machine, but at least it's a fantastically dangerous killing machine that can't crush us.

"Plan B - pepper it with arrows to injure it, then slide down here and take cover by the stairs, and hope that the main force can distract the dragon.

"Plan C - negotiate. There's always something to negotiate."

Raising his voice as the dragons descend, he calls out to the 'troops' assembled on the rooftop.

"Remember. This fight is the difference between curling up into a ball and getting plucked like a chicken for roasting, and having a chance to take a stand. A chance at freedom and a long life.

"Right! Start firing as soon as you can see em. They can bloody well see us, and there's no point in skimping on the arrows. Tec'lik, if you've got any marvellous stories of men facing down dragons and winning, this is a great time to hear em."

--

Once the dragon is within 400', Johannes starts loosing arrows at it with a wild, frantic speed.

Johannes has pulled out his set of Dragonsbreath (ironic name) arrows, and is prepped to use them initially. If I get my prayers answered and we have a level 5 bard effect on us, add one to attack and damage rolls below.

Round before the dragons get into range: use wand of Hunter's Mercy on himself.

At 400', 2 range penalties, Rapid shot:
Arrow 1 [roll1] Piercing Damage [roll2] Acid [roll3] Fire 1 point, and a DC 15 reflex save or it catches fire.
Arrow 2 [roll4] Piercing Damage [roll5] Acid [roll6] Fire 1 point, and a DC 15 reflex save or it catches fire.
Arrow 3 [roll7] Piercing Damage [roll8] Acid [roll9] Fire 1 point, and a DC 15 reflex save or it catches fire.

If any of these hit, they are automatically a critical, and deal an extra [roll10] damage.

Next range increment, assuming 1 range penalty and rapid shot:
Arrow 1 [roll11] Piercing Damage [roll12] Acid [roll13] Fire 1 point, and a DC 15 reflex save or it catches fire.
Arrow 2 [roll14] Piercing Damage [roll15] Acid [roll16] Fire 1 point, and a DC 15 reflex save or it catches fire.
Arrow 3 [roll17] Piercing Damage [roll18] Acid [roll19] Fire 1 point, and a DC 15 reflex save or it catches fire.

All arrows count as magic.

Even if Tec'lik retreats below again, having him pop up to give an inspiring speech before the dragons descend would be a huge help. Let's be honest - these guys are probably not going to get more than a couple of shots off anyway.

thorgrim29
2012-04-27, 03:09 PM
Thordrek

You heard the man lads! Surrender and you die, run and you die, fight, get revenge and live! So commend your souls to your gods and hold steady!

As soon as he spots which dragon comes for them, Thordrek starts cranking his crossbow, fire all 5 bolts in his clip before readying the harpoon.

2 shots per round, last round, put the crossbow away and anchor the harpoon, apply whatever range penaltys are necessary, it has 120 foot range

1 [roll0] to hit [roll1] damage
2 [roll2] to hit [roll3] damage
3 [roll4] to hit [roll5] damage
4 [roll6] to hit [roll7] damage
5 [roll8] to hit [roll9] damage

thorgrim29
2012-04-27, 03:11 PM
critical threath for the second bolt, in the unlikely event it hit:

confirm [roll0]
extra damage [roll1]

King Tius
2012-05-02, 09:37 PM
Here's a map of the top of the Armory and the area just out in front of it. Everyone take a look and let me know if this works. There are two sets of stairs that come up from the armory to the roof. I'll be adding them to the interior map next time I update it. Assuming nobody needs to move around on the roof (or you move around quickly) we'll have a dragon on your doorstep in no time. The grey spot at the bottom is the facade of the Dwarf. It rises up above the roof level so it can be used as cover.

Armory Roof

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/768/armoryroof1.png

Toliudar
2012-05-02, 09:43 PM
Johannes would definitely want to be by an edge of the roof, where he can be ready to rappel down if need be. Assuming that the dragon is coming from the bottom of the map, he'd set up around R5.

He would also encourage the slaves/archers to spread out across the roof to make it more difficult for a dragon to one-shot us.

thorgrim29
2012-05-06, 04:22 PM
Thordrek is going to stick with Joh

King Tius
2012-05-12, 09:59 PM
At Johannes’ orders the archers on the roof spread out, making them less of a target. Shouting down the stairs, you call Tec’lik to the top of the stairs. He shouts out a few words of magical encouragement before retreating back down into the armory. As the dragon comes into range Johannes lets loose his barrage of arrows. The first three bounce harmlessly off the dragon’s hide or are knocked away by the flapping of its wings. His second flight, however, scores three direct hits. The dragon roars in pain and frustration as it is hit, but it does not slow its movement, nor does it catch on fire.

OOC: From the research I have done only the first successful hit with Hunter’s Mercy is an auto-crit. If that is not the case, please let me know where to look.

Thordek lets loose his crossbow bolts, one after the other in rapid succession. Only two are able to pierce the dragon’s thick hide, though one is driven quite deeply into its shoulder. The archers seem unable to do any real damage to the creature. With the dragon now in range, the ballista crew fires. Unfortunately the ballista bolt goes sailing way over its head. The two men give a shout and start reloading. Sable and Buna wait for the dragon to get closer to do some damage.

3 round of inspire courage left (+1 attack, +1 damage, +1 vs fear). The dragon is about 20 feet in the air above the roof.

The Map

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/2703/armoryroof2.png

Initiatives (so far)
(23) Thordek
(21) Johannes

Toliudar
2012-05-12, 11:06 PM
Thanks, Tius. If you're getting married soon, I have some tiny sense of how busy you must be.

Oh, and my understanding of Hunter's Mercy is the same as yours.

Any actions from Sable and Bundok as the dragon approaches?

Johannes curses low and in a curious blend of four languages as he sees the dragon begin to angle towards them. Glancing back, he waves frantically at the archers.

"That's it! But spread out MORE. You've formed a line. Don't do that! The dragon looks like it might land on the ground, so I'm going to meet it."

He glances at Thordrek with a small shrug, and slides his bow onto his back, taking the rope back in hand. Dashing to the side of the building, he takes a firm hold of the rope, jumps off and grunts as the line goes taut and he slams back into the side of the armoury about 5' above the ground. Releasing the rope, he drops the rest of the way.

All of which really is to say:
Move action to switch from bow to rope.
Move action to climb down in square R0, going as far as he can climbing (roll of [roll0] plus bonuses for the secured rope, penalties for trying to move at normal speed). Jumping the rest of the way if this doesn't get him all the way down off of the roof. [roll1]

thorgrim29
2012-05-13, 10:30 AM
Thordrek

AC: 26
HP: 90
Fort: 11
Reflex: 6
Will: 7

I'll join you soon enough.

Thordrek drops his crossbow and activates the first immovable rod harpoon. He then throws it at the dragon.

((Base ranged roll at 11, +1 for the bardic song, +1 from the weapon, -4 for range penalty))

To hit: [roll0] + 9
Damage: [roll1] + 6 (4 from str bonus, 1 from +1 weapon, 1 from inspire courage)

mshady
2012-05-13, 10:55 PM
Sable and Bundok:

The two share a cringe as they see one of the dragons immediately head for the top of the armory. It is hovering right above their heads, regarding the mass of vulnerable slave archers some fool thought was a good idea on the roof. The smart half would probably run, the other half would die in icy blasts. At least Sable and Bundok both knew Johannes was a competent leader and archer.

Arrows start flying at the dragon overheard, and while some manage to miss, others hit. A few arrows tumble to the ground below, landing in a rain around the two.

"Get the feeling we're in the wrong place, sir dwarf?" Sable asks Bundok. If she said anything else, it was drowned out by the twin roars of the dragons. It was enough to make their ear drums throb in pain, truly.

"Depends on yer perspective, I be thinking" Bundok replies gruffly.

"Well, lets improvise" she says, and knocks an arrow. "Give me a moment, trying to figure out where to shoot him. Where do you think a dragon's liver is? I never asked, mainly I just kill people" she says, completely serious.

thorgrim29
2012-05-13, 11:06 PM
((asides from "immune to cold, flies, doesn't like fire and spits frost, what does Thordrek know about the abilities of a white dragon that size?))

mshady
2012-05-15, 10:37 PM
OOC: He knows, like most dragons, the bigger ones can resist spells and white dragons are pretty savage, but not the strongest of dragons. All bets are off in that regard if they were fathered by a Chosen of Auril though.
Whites like to fight directly and with their breath weapons, and are not known for much magic. At least in theory.

Strangie
2012-05-21, 01:52 AM
Hey guys. I'm still waiting on some input from King but I do have the map and am working on getting this set up.

Although after I do this, I may have to bow out of DM duty as a bunch of stuff is springing up and making this difficult to work on. I am very sorry that you guys are being held up like this, but know that we haven't forgotten you.

Strangie
2012-05-29, 02:34 PM
Well, that didn't work.

Argh! I am sorry about this guys. I might just have to wing it on my own.

However the good news is I have a couple days off coming up tomorrow and Thursday so I'll have some spare time to get this finally sorted out. I also managed to get my hours changed from the dreaded 5:30 PM to 2 AM shift I used to have to something more reasonable, which will be effective as of next pay cycle.

I'll get this sorted out soon.

thorgrim29
2012-05-29, 04:03 PM
OK, sounds good to me

mshady
2012-05-31, 07:10 AM
Glad you got a better shift. Those were man killer hours, there. Welcome back to society. When things settle down a bit for me, you should come by my place for dinner or something? I'm in Bport, should be on the way back.

Don't worry about the DMing here. If you can get a turn up tonight, thats great. I'll take it from here though, no worries ok? Just enjoy the Temple group fight :)

Mike

Strangie
2012-05-31, 02:48 PM
I'd still like to contribute at least. I'll give you the plan I had for this turn and we can work out the details together.

mshady
2012-06-04, 03:39 PM
The Armory Group

Inbound…

Thordek: After cooperating with Johannes to rally the former slaves, Thordek takes to the edge of the armory. He places a foot on the ledge to steady his aim and starts to unload his repeating crossbow in one of the first times he has had to really let it rip. The iron bolts dart towards the dragon as it leaves the temple’s roof, and the bolts stab at the white dragon’s hide. Four of the shots connect with the dragon, while one misses the mark widely. Only one of the bolts sticks into the scales in what is presumably a wounding hit. If the hail even bothered the dragon, it was hard to tell. He ejects the clip and drops the crossbow. His harness holds the weapon and he swings it back behind him. He drops the harpoon’s rod to the ground and feels the rod lock into the ground.

Thordek’s second shot is a unconfirmed critical hit, and does 4 HP to the dragon.

Johanness: Along with Thordek, he moves towards the edge and looks down for a place to rappel down before looking for the dragon. He felt the dragon might be landing below first. He snaps out some orders to the other archers to spread out, so the dragons don’t frost them all.

“That’s it! But spread out MORE! You’ve formed a line. Don’t do that! The dragon looks like it might land on the ground, so I’m going to meet it” With some words of wisdom officially dispensed, he launches 2 volleys of arrows at the dragon, three shots a piece. The first miss their mark or otherwise do not wound it. Using Hunter's Mercy though, he scores 3 solid hits. Next, he takes the rope he anchored earlier, turns to face Thordek and gives him a wave before hoping backwards off the wall. He falls swiftly to the ground, the rope swooshing through his hand and through his belt loop before he slows his decent, making a perfect landing. There, he finds Bundok and Sable looking a little lost on what is going on. He offers them and bow, sweeping his hat in an elaborate manner.

“Little early to be gett’n off the roof, isn’t it Johannes?” Sable asks him, a smirk on her lips. She winks at the dwarf.

Johannes inflicts 11, 7 and 9 HP against the dragon, total of 27 HP. The acid of his arrows has no effect.

Sable and Bundok: With the arrival of Johannes noted, Sable takes aim at the dragon with that nail driver of a short bow she has been using. It is a diminutive weapon with quite a body count so far. Rather than firing off a barrage of arrows, she watches the dragon leap off the temple and into the air than cross over to the armory where she hears the slaves ordering each other about. The tip of her arrow was a purple sheen on it, for she has tipped its tip in some kind of exotic poison she had previously withheld from use. Or had she? This would be the rainy day one would save such things. With a careful flick of her fingers, the arrow itself glows as the dragon passes over them before she lets it fly. The arrow darts upwards and strikes the dragon’s belly, sinking far deeper than any of Thordek’s bolts did.

Sable does 7 HP to the dragon, and hits it with Purple Worm poison. However, the dragon makes it’s first save from the poison and beats the Death Attack DC as well.

Bundok watches Sable shot, but rather than only doing one shot, he sends six sling stones at the dragon. Most of the lead bullets connect with the dragon, for he is quite skilled, but its hide is so thick that the bullets do little more than bounces off the hide.

Eoin Shatterbonds: He feels the buzz in his mind as he sights the dragon and feels The Passenger chime in.

“You have an advantage here, if you can live. It is a white dragon, and you throw fire. You can hurt it, but it will recognize you quickly and you are a rather small, weak man” it says. Not the most encouraging partner, was he.

With a sigh, he draws upon the hellfire burning in his soul and a total of three blasts of eldrict blasts at the incoming dragon. The blasts are hot streaks of white hot light burning through the darkness towards the dragon. He just has to hope the blasts are strong enough to burn through its spell resistence… Yes, the Passenger had told him about that part too.

All three blasts hit the dragon, the first two sizzle and do nothing to the dragon besides draw its attention towards him. The third blast hits squarely, leaving a scorch mark and burned scales.

Eoin does 10 HP to the dragon, after vulnerability, and makes the dragon angry.

The Archers: The archers spread out, per Johanness orders and have enough time to get 2 volleys off. A cloud of 50 arrows go streaking towards the dragon, the bows all twanging in a rough unison that is somewhat deafening as the dragon hurtles towards them. With the little training they have though, only luck is enough to really harm the dragon. One particular arrow in the second volley hits the dragon’s nose, doing a minor wound to it. The rest of the arrows are either misses or the damage utterly shrugged off. Two more arrows stick in its scales, but do not seem to have harmed it.

One arrow does a confirmed critical, doing 6 HP to the dragon.

DM Note: Until I can get a map up, just give me a general idea what you are doing and I will figure it out. Make sure to include a stat block with your AC and any resistances.

Quick Retcon on Johannes actions. Added the damage from his second volley.

thorgrim29
2012-06-05, 09:56 AM
Wait, a 27 doesn't confirm the critical? This is gonna suck so hard...
I also have resist energy up, but I have no idea what the CL on the scroll was.

Here's my last post:

Thordrek

I'll join you soon enough.

Thordrek drops his crossbow and activates the first immovable rod harpoon. He then throws it at the dragon.

((Base ranged roll at 11, +1 for the bardic song, +1 from the weapon, -4 for range penalty))

To hit: [roll0] + 9 total: 27
Damage: [roll1] + 6 total 17 (4 from str bonus, 1 from +1 weapon, 1 from inspire courage)

Toliudar
2012-06-05, 03:03 PM
Johannes tosses Sable a wink and a half salute before turning his attention back to the dragon hovering above. He left the rope dangling, and tucked himself around the corner from Sable and Bundok so that the dragon couldn't reach all of them at once.

Lifting his bow again, the dwarf lets off a trio of arrows aimed at the great beast's underbelly.

Johannes:
AC: 23
HP: 53

Free action to draw bow.
5' step to move "north" along the wall of the building.
Full attack using rapid shot:
Shot 1: [roll0] Damage: [roll1] piercing, [roll2] acid
Shot 1: [roll3] Damage: [roll4] piercing, [roll5] acid
Shot 1: [roll6] Damage: [roll7] piercing, [roll8] acid

mshady
2012-06-10, 07:54 AM
Wait, a 27 doesn't confirm the critical? This is gonna suck so hard...
I also have resist energy up, but I have no idea what the CL on the scroll was.

Here's my last post:

DM Note: Caster Level on the Scroll would be three. Unless otherwise noted, assume a scroll or potion is always the minimum level to cast.

mshady
2012-06-10, 11:28 PM
Armory Group Turn 1

Thordek (Initiative 23): Taking the harpoon in hand, Thordek hefts the unwieldy weapon and draws it back. The dragon was in range now, if he lofted it just right. Damn, if it was not big. Not as big as expected a dragon to be, but it was surely the biggest thing he had ever fought before.

He aims and throws the harpoon at the dragon, and the heavily weighted weapon flies awkwardly right at the dragon’s broad chest and punches through its scales. The harpoon lodges there, and the cable hangs slack for the moment. Rivulets of blood flow from the wound, hot and steaming as they call to the ground…

Thordek easily made the Touch AC attack against the dragon. It is now harpooned, but with 50 feet of cable, not much other effect right now to that.

Johanness (Initiative 21): He lifts his bow and fires three shots at the dragon’s exposed belly as it hurtles towards the group. As he fires, he watches all 3 shots strike the dragon’s exposed belly to no effect at all. He can still see several other arrows sticking out of its scales, but few seem to have wounded it. Once again, it seems his acid does next to nothing to it, which was frustrating. Deciding not to draw too much attention to himself, Johannes moves back against the wall.

All 3 shots miss, and Johannes takes a 5 foot step away.

Eoin Shatterbonds (Initiative 20): “Don’t make yourself an obvious target” the Passenger says, inside his mind. Like that was easy. Where could he hide? Deciding it would be best to try and hurt the wounded dragon and scare it off with fire, he sends a blast of Eldrict Fire hurtling towards it. The blast of fire lights up the sky, and couldn’t make Eoin more obvious as the caster.

Sable (Initiative 14): She fires two more arrows at the dragon, but neither penetrate its thick hide.

Bundok (Initiative 11): No luck either...

White Dragon (Initiative 5): The dragon flares for a moment, breaking its momentum before it unleashes a white blast of its frost breath in a massive cone that expands as much as 40 feet or more. For now, it is focused on the largest concentration of opposition. While the barrage of arrows that hit it from these groups did not wound the dragon, clearly it did not like getting hit by barrages of arrows regardless.

The blast envelops one of the groups right at the wall, and the cloud of high velocity frost rolls over the group behind it as well. Men and women, all recently freed slaves, scream in terror and pain at the blast. When the blast clears, 20 men and women are dead, frozen to death or nearly so. Extremities are solid ice, and as they topple over, limps and fingers and even noses break or even shatter. The very few survivors moan of the ground, teeth chattering briefly before the instant hypothermia takes them into sleep, or perhaps deeper and with more finality. Ice covers the ground now, the frost stained red from broken bodies…

The triumphant roars mightily now, having just demonstrated its power. All in the dwarf’s party feel the dragon presence and something primal in all of them seems programmed to make them run from the great beast.

Two of the three remaining groups of archers, even with Tec’lis’s inspiration, see the quick death of their companions and drop their bows, and run anywhere not here. They stream towards the staircase in a panic. The third, and last, group stays in place.

Slave Group 5 (Initiative 1): As their comrades around them die or run, the last group stands fast and sends another volley of arrows at the dragon. The arrows mostly hit, two strike in the neck even, but no shot is hard enough to drive the arrow all the way through its thick scales.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/441/armory1.jpg/

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/4615/armory1.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/441/armory1.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

thorgrim29
2012-06-10, 11:57 PM
Thordrek

resist cold 10

Thordrek blanches as he sees firsthand the result of a dragon's wrath. Of course, he had read about it, heard tales, even spoken to a few dragonslayers over a pint, but nothing that could have quite prepared him for the experience. He mutters a prayer and activates the other immovable rods. (I'm guessing that takes at least a turn, not too clear on how many move actions you can fit in a turn)

Toliudar
2012-06-11, 12:43 AM
Johannes

The Patriarchate had better be paying great bonuses for this. Insane dangers, the chance of getting completely obliterated by a bomb, numbing cold, and now...dragons.

Realizing that he wasn't taking his own advice about not clustering up, Johannes waves to Sable and Bundok to scatter a bit.

Seeing little point in doing otherwise at the moment, Johannes takes a step back and away from the wall and fires another trio of arrows upward, hoping to find a gap in the scales.

Mike, thanks for taking this up again. Can I check: is the dragon now on the ground, hovering in midair, or flying in circles overhead (or something else that I'm not thinking of)?

5' step southeast. Full attack with rapid shot on the dragon.

Arrow 1 Attack [roll0], damage: [roll1], acid dmg: [roll2]
Arrow 2 Attack [roll3], damage: [roll4], acid dmg: [roll5]
Arrow 3 Attack [roll6], damage: [roll7], acid dmg: [roll8]

mshady
2012-06-11, 12:59 AM
The dragon is flying right now. It flared to blast the group, but is not hovering.

The roof is about to look like a Salvador Dali painting.

Toliudar
2012-06-11, 01:19 AM
The roof is about to look like a Salvador Dali painting.

Hopefully, this one. (http://www.dalipaintings.org/images/saint-george-and-the-dragon.jpg)

mshady
2012-06-11, 06:02 AM
Haha, very nice!

I think if I said a Robert Maplethorpe picture, the implications might have been.. if less scary, certainly more concerning.

loopy
2012-06-19, 02:10 AM
Eoin Shatterbond

The warlock readies another blast at the oncoming dragon, before trying to duck out of sight. Gods, this day just keeps getting worse.

Hit: [roll0]
Confirm: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

A panicked twitch to his fingers made the blast spray out wide and unfocused, a molten copper and electric blue wave shooting off into the ether. Eoin dives for cover as the white dragon swoops closer.

mshady
2012-06-19, 09:05 AM
Turn 2

Thordek (Initiative 23): Blanching at the effects of the dragon’s breath killing so many, he knows that he has a measure of payback already by sticking that harpoon into it. Unfortunately, the length of cable was so long that it was not restricting the dragon’s movements. At least the effect of it being torn from its hide might wound it some more. So Thordek reaches for another harpoon and slams the rod into another stone. The rod vibrates for a moment and bites into the massive cut stone that make up the roof of the armory.

Johanness (Initiative 21): Down on the ground, Johanness only has a moment to shoot at the dragon before it flies over the roof of the armory and out of his line of sight. His three shots zip upwards into the dragons belly, but he has just enough time to watch two of the shoots bounce off the scales and the third stick, but not deeply enough to hurt it and that was a nearly perfect shot! Than it was gone, wings beating and moving quickly…

Eoin Shatterbonds (Initiative 20): The warlock readies another blast of eldrict energy to send hurtling towards the dragon, while thinking to himself what a lousy day he had had. First it was a nail in his skull and surgery, now a dragon? He would ask himself which powers he had offended that could put him in such a predicament, but The Passenger answered for him.

Quite a few powers, actually. You do realize if you die here, your soul will be my thrall instead of me yours, yes? Extra motivation to shoot better.

The motivation seemed to have helped, as chilling as it was, for the blast of molten copper leaping with electric blue energy and outright flame hits the dragon hard, spearing it right near the wing. He holds his breath a moment to see if the spell would burn the dragon’s hide or disintegrate again into a splash of useless magic energy but this time he does indeed land a solid hit! Now it was time to move! Eoin heads for the wagons, hoping to find some cover there.

Keep shooting like that, and you may yet delay your fate of pleasuring a hamatula (barbed devil). Har! The Passenger laughs darkly. Was a pact for the power to survive truly worth this sarcasm?

Well yes, yes it was.

Eoin uses a Ranged Touch not a direct attack here, and use has to overcome spell resistence, which he did with a roll of 19. As a Daggerspell Mage (level 2), I would say he does 6d6 not 5d6 damage with his blasts. Eoin does 10 HP still, but rolled 19 HP. The dragon shrugged of 10 fire damage due to a ward, but having half the damage be slashing helped him out here, a lot

Sable (Initiative 14): Sable takes her bow and snatches an arrow out of her quiver and fires. She has another arrow on the way before the first had even hit the target. The first arrow strikes its belly and sinks deep, while the second hits the dragon’s hide and bounces off.
Sable rolled an unconfirmed critical hit (natural 20) and an 18 on her second shot. Her bow does 6 hp against the dragon.

Bundok (Initiative 11): Not having high expectations helped here, but Bundok was nonetheless frustrated that his next two bullets from his sling had no more effect than the last ones. Indeed he has to dodge one falling back towards him, as it bounced off the dragon’s hide. He cursed himself right now for not taking one of the Patriachate’s pistols with him. The thought of being flammable and useless in wet weather seemed far less important right now!

“Hey Johannes, now what do we do down here if it’s up on the roof, eh mate? It’s a slaughter up there!” Bundok growls at Johanness, actually deferring to the other dwarf for instruction.

White Dragon (Initiative 5): Having taken a few wounds now, the dragon looked a little worse for wear but had an enormous amount of fight left in it. Unaware of the cable attached from that nasty spear stuck in its side, it beat its wings and flew high for a moment than dove for the mass of slaves. The dragon roars as it approaches, and its mere presence begins to frighten and unman the once motivated slaves. Just that enough is to send all three remaining groups into a complete panic. The archers throw down their weapons and run for stairwell, screaming in terror.

Which is exactly where the dragon lands.

It lands with a thud, and immediately it bites at one of the slaves and bites at the slaves head. With a pull from its powerful neck, it yanks the slaves head clean from his shoulders and straightens its neck to swallow the morsel. The attack elicits even more screams of terror. Not done yet, the dragon swings its neck back towards the towards the slaves and as it sweeps by it bites another man in the leg, up ends him and sends him flying off the side of the armory. His death scream stops abruptly as he hits the ground below.

Slave Group 5 (Initiative 1): “Run!!” cry the slaves, as they crash into each other and try to get away. There is nowhere to go though, for the dragon has blocked the stairs going down. Two slaves from the farthest group simply leap off the walls to escape. One group runs for the debris pile, while another runs north while another goes south. The one going south, and those ones find Johanness rope.

“Quick, down the rope!” someone says, and they start heading towards it..

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/845/armorybattle2.jpg/

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/7869/armorybattle2.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/845/armorybattle2.jpg/)

Toliudar
2012-06-19, 12:10 PM
Johannes

The slender dwarf shoots a look back at Bundok. This was the day that people started actually listening to his opinion?

"There's a rope there, Bundok my dove - climb it if you want. But do it quick, because I suspect that there'll be a load of people coming down in a few seconds. Me. I'm going to try to get into position to shoot it if it comes to the lip of the roof. Remember, we shouldn't clump up, so don't follow me."

Taking bow to hand, he dashes away from the treasury.

Double move, or run action if required, in order to get to a point where he can see the dragon on the rooftop again. Johannes strong preference would be to move away from the gorge and in the direction that he thinks that the group will need to be moving eventually anyway. If I'm doing the geometry correctly, and assuming that the armoury is about 20' high, Johannes will need to move about 60' away in order to see the dragon.

thorgrim29
2012-06-19, 01:41 PM
Thordrek

resist cold 10

Thordrek might not have fought dragons before, but he did know that while they were fearsome close quarter fighters your best hope for taking one down is to keep it on the ground. So, he started to wrap the chain of the harpoon he just fixed around 4 merlons, shortening it.

While working, he shouted out to the slaves and his companions on the ground

I need a hand here people, we need to act while Eoin has it's attention

loopy
2012-06-20, 12:55 AM
Eoin Shatterbond

OOC: Oh yeah, forgot about the ranged touch. Also, just so you know, Eldritch Blast does default untyped damage, unless one of my invocations adds fire damage (like Brimstone blast, which I may get in the future). Unless you've decided to make Eoin different, of course. :smallsmile:

The warlock smiles dryly to himself as eldritch energy continues to build throughout his body. You know, Passenger, you'd be a much more pleasant traveling companion if you weren't constantly threatening me with damnation.

Drawing upon the dark power he'd been granted, he raises his voice to a challenging roar, spitting defiance in the face of the dragon. "HEY! WHITEY! GET AWAY FROM THE FREEDMEN AND ATTACK SOMEONE YOUR OWN SIZE, YOU OVERGROWN LIZARD! GET AT ME, YOU MISBEGOTTEN SPAWN OF NEWTS!" He fires an eldritch spear to emphasise his point.

Intimidate: [roll0]
Hit: [roll1]
Confirm: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

The blast furrows into the ground next to the white dragon, causing fragments of broken stone to blast upwards. Cursing, Eoin readjusts his aim. You know, I really need to stop trying to pretend I'm heroic.

mshady
2012-06-28, 12:39 AM
Turn 3

Thordek (Initiative 23): Knowing his best hope for fighting a dragon was to keep it on the ground, and that he already had one harpoon in the dragon and another ready to go, Thordek knew he had to do something.

Thinking for a moment, he realizes there is far too much slack on the cable to ever limit the dragon’s movement and maybe, just maybe, he could keep it off of that Eoin fellow long enough for the dragon to take a few more shots from the… whatever the hell he was.

Thordek starts whipping the cable around several crenelations, working furiously to shorten the cable and tie it around the ancient stone. He manages to shortening the available cable from 50 feet to only 30 feet, leaving enough slack for the dragon to not realize what is going on.

Johanness (Initiative 21): Shocked that someone was listening, Johannes paused a moment and replied…

"There's a rope there, Bundok my dove - climb it if you want. But do it quick, because I suspect that there'll be a load of people coming down in a few seconds. Me. I'm going to try to get into position to shoot it if it comes to the lip of the roof. Remember, we shouldn't clump up, so don't follow me."

Taking bow to hand, he dashes away from the treasury. He falls back 60 feet, bow in hand and hoping to get a clear shot over the walls and at the dragon. He was a deadly archer, sometimes even surprised himself, but he needed to actually be able to see the target! There were disadvantages to being on the ground, but at least that dragon was not near him.

Eoin Shatterbonds (Initiative 20): The warlock smiles dryly to himself as eldritch energy continues to build throughout his body. You know, Passenger, you'd be a much more pleasant traveling companion if you weren't constantly threatening me with damnation.

Drawing upon the dark power he'd been granted, he raises his voice to a challenging roar, spitting defiance in the face of the dragon. "HEY! WHITEY! GET AWAY FROM THE FREEDMEN AND ATTACK SOMEONE YOUR OWN SIZE, YOU OVERGROWN LIZARD! GET AT ME, YOU MISBEGOTTEN SPAWN OF NEWTS!" He fires an eldritch spear to emphasize his point.

His sphere of energy stabs into the ground and it blows a shower of stones into the air. The dragon snarls, but seems unimpressed by his attempt at intimidation. The dragon did not seem to bite, it would seem.

Sable (Initiative 14): The rogue stops for a moment and looks up, to see Thordek rapidly coiling a cable around the stones on top of the armory. With the dragon out of sight for the moment, she had a moment to think about the scene. Having watched Thordek throw the first harpoon to begin with, she assumed he had hit his mark and was shortening the cable.

“Bundok, I’m going up. I’ve decided I’ve never been chased by a dragon before, and I would be remiss to not seize the opportunity” she says, a grin on her face that is betrayed only by the seriousness of her eyes.

She knocks an arrow to get ready, and then her fingers weave a quick pattern in the air. A moment later, Sable is floating in the air and a moment after that, she is hurtling upwards into the air and then floating 20 feet above the walls. She looks at the cable and smiles for a moment, than silently says a prayer to Tymora for good fortune.

“Hey, up here stupid!” Sable yells at the dragon. She draws her bow and gets ready to shoot it, if she has the time…

She also points to Thordek, now that she has his attention and makes a throwing motion…

Bundok (Initiative 11): Watching Sable go flying upwards and Johannes fall back away from the scene, the ranger huffs in irritation. “Now what?” he asks himself. He looks at his axes and grimaces, for his sling had not been effective so far. He reaches for the rope that Johanness had left, and starts hauling himself upwards, one hand after the other. The massively strong ranger barely uses his legs. Some of the former slaves look like they are making their way for the rope, and Bundok bellows at them.

“Get outta the way! Dwarf coming up!”

White Dragon (Initiative 5): The dragon immediately notices Sable’s presence in the air and its long head whips around to follow her movement as she bobs in the air. For a moment, it is like watching a cat’s attention suddenly drawn to a new toy. Judging her more amusing than a threat, however, the dragon surges towards Eoin. It roars as it approaches as the cable plays out, tooth snapping as it comes near Eoin, careful to stay out of his immediate reach and attacks.

It’s neck snakes forward and snaps at Eoin’s arm, and as Eoin throws an arm up to protect himself, the dragon’s jaws clamp down on his arm and tear his flesh, turning his forearm to shreds. The force of the dragon’s bite nearly throws him to the ground. With blood on his teeth, the dragon snarls at Eoin, ready to kill off his primary tormentor.

The cable lays slack on the ground, 5 feet short of the end of its line.

The dragon bites Eoin for 15 HP.

Slave Group 5 (Initiative 1): Panicked by the dragon’s attack, the slaves hide near the walls. Some more from each group jump from the walls of the armory, their arms flailing as they fall to ground. Half tumble when they hit the ground, some of the others land with a sickening crunch, legs breaking as they fall. The prospect of jumping was apparently far less terrifying than the prospect of facing the dragon…

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/232/armoryt3.jpg/

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/3297/armoryt3.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/232/armoryt3.jpg/)

loopy
2012-06-28, 02:12 AM
Eoin Shatterbond

The dragon's fangs release, to be replaced by searing white agony. Blood starts seeping from the wounds, turning the warlock's hand red. Eoin curses and stumbles a step back, then calls upon his magic to teleport him behind one of the wagons.

A surge of energy, and the real Eoin disappears, leaving an image of himself cowering in front of the dragon. Hiding behind the bulk of the wagon, Eoin tries to make himself scarce, hoping the dragon is sufficiently confused enough to give him a chance to regroup.

HP: 31/45 After DR.
Eoin uses Flee the scene, which allows him to Dimension Door up to 30ft and leaves a Major Image at the place that he disappears from, which lasts for 1 round.
Hide: [roll0]

Toliudar
2012-06-28, 04:16 PM
Johannes

The archer double checks, confirming that he's moved far enough away to draw a bead on the dragon. The feather on his hat was, very briefly, completely still.

"All righty now. Let's make these good."

Carefully raising his magic bow, he sighted, took a deep breath, and released. Watching the path of the first arrow, he nocked and released again, nocked and released again.

Full attack, then a 5' step further away from the armoury.

Arrow 1 attack: [roll0] Piercing damage: [roll1] Acid damage: [roll2]
Arrow 2 attack: [roll3] Piercing damage: [roll4] Acid damage: [roll5]
Arrow 3 attack: [roll6] Piercing damage: [roll7] Acid damage: [roll8]

Toliudar
2012-06-28, 04:17 PM
Crit confirmation on second arrow:

Arrow 2 attack: [roll0] Piercing damage: [roll1]

thorgrim29
2012-07-02, 01:21 PM
Thordrek

resist cold 10

Having tied the harpoon as much as he can, Thordrek throws it at the dragon.

Damage: [roll1]

If it hits, he then moves to N15, if not, he retrieves the harpoon by pulling the chain.

thorgrim29
2012-07-05, 03:25 PM
BTW I'm off from tomorrow till sunday and I have no idea what my Internet situation will be. So on the off chance it's needed, Thordrek will throw at the dragon the harpoon he so pathetically missed with. If engaged in melee he will attack it with his axe.

mshady
2012-07-11, 01:50 AM
Turn 4

Thordek (Initiative 23): Having tied the harpoon as much as he can, Thordrek throws it at the dragon. The harpoon flies through the air, arcing towards the dragon due to its range. The harpoon sticks into the dragon’s hip, sinking deeply enough to draw the dragon’s attention. It swings its neck around behind its body and it notices not only the harpoon but the cables now as well… He then moves up to a better location.

Thordek makes his ranged touch attack and does a 15 hp wound to the dragon.

Johanness (Initiative 21): The archer double checks, confirming that he's moved far enough away to draw a bead on the dragon. The feather on his hat was, very briefly, completely still.

"All righty now. Let's make these good."

Carefully raising his magic bow, he sighted, took a deep breath, and released. Watching the path of the first arrow, he nocked and released again, nocked and released again. Johannes shoots 3 arrows at the dragon, but only one of them hits the dragon squarely enough to wound it. Or so he thought…

The dragon’s wards send the arrow careening away at the last possible moment, swept away in a vortex of magic.

Johannes’s shot failed the miss chance check.

Eoin Shatterbonds (Initiative 20): The dragon's fangs release, to be replaced by searing white agony. Blood starts seeping from the wounds, turning the warlock's hand red. Eoin curses and stumbles a step back, then calls upon his magic to teleport him behind one of the wagons.

A surge of energy, and the real Eoin disappears, leaving an image of himself cowering in front of the dragon. Hiding behind the bulk of the wagon, Eoin tries to make himself scarce, hoping the dragon is sufficiently confused enough to give him a chance to regroup.

Eoin uses Flee the scene, which allows him to Dimension Door up to 30ft and leaves a Major Image at the place that he disappears from, which lasts for 1 round.

E is for Eoin, MI is for Major Image

Sable (Initiative 14): Floating in the air above the armory, Sable draws and shoots her bow twice. The first shot goes wide, but the second strikes the dragon fir a light hit. The arrow hits the dragon’s skull, dealing a light but bloody blow above the eye.

“Come on! I hear Auril’s just a stupid snowman!” Sable yells at it.

Really, I had something better for this. I really did.

Bundok (Initiative 11): Atop the armory now and near the dragon, Bundok bangs both his axes together with a loud clang to announce his presence.

“Get away from him, you sonofabitch!” he yells at the dragon. He bangs his axes together again.

Bundok’s anger builds, and he feels his muscles bulging and things getting hazy.

White Dragon (Initiative 5): The dragon recoils from the arrow shot, flinching away from the pain. Ice begins to crystallize on its teeth again and clouds of icy vapor coil from its nose once again. Rather than blasting the image, the dragon’s wings pound again and it lifts off into a hover. Now airborne, it launches into a furious, screaming attack at the image. Almost immediately it realizes its error as the image shatters as the dragon tries to bite the fake image of Eoin.

Slave Group 5 (Initiative 1): The ones left alive run for their lives.

Removed from play.

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/7869/armorybattle2.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/140/armorybattle2.jpg/)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/140/armorybattle2.jpg/

loopy
2012-07-11, 10:34 AM
Eoin Shatterbond

Blood coursing down the gash in his arm, Eoin lets it fuel the fury welling inside him. Extending his hand, he mutters under his breath and another lance of arcane energy arcs out towards the dragon.

Crit confirm: [roll1]

thorgrim29
2012-07-11, 11:39 AM
Thordrek

resist cold 10

((you forgot to move Thordrek on the map, I'm assuming he's where I wanted him to be))

Thordrek takes a step towards the dragon to position himself (5 foot step down) and calls out to bundok in dwarven

Bundok! Let's flank it, aim for the wings!

Hoping his savage comrade would follow his lead, Thordrek went on to do one of the stupidest things in his life and charged a dragon (charged to column K)

Delzouuuuuuuunnnnnn!

Attack: [roll0] +16

Damage: [roll1] +5

(if we're still under inspire courage or another buff that might have slipped my mind, add it to those numbers))

Toliudar
2012-07-11, 12:52 PM
Johannes

The final exhalation turns into a grunt of frustration. This was not going well. On top of all of the normal things - that dragons were legendary killing machines whose scales were the pinnacle of hardness - it was now obvious that this particular dragon had some way to bounce arrows away from its skin at will. Briefly, he considered running now, but decided that the time for that contingency had not yet come. And he'd become fond of Thordrek. It would be a shame to feel responsible for his death.

Even briefly.

Lifting his bow to hand again, Johannes lets fly with another trio of arrows, hoping that fate will help guide them to their intended target in the dragon's neck.

Well, if I'm only hitting on twenties, and not even all of those, I might as well spam a lot of arrows. Full attack, using rapid shot:

Shot one attack: [roll0] Piercing damage: [roll1] Acid damage: [roll2] Miss chance (high is a miss): [roll3]
Shot two attack: [roll4] Piercing damage: [roll5] Acid damage: [roll6] Miss chance (high is a miss): [roll7]
Shot three attack: [roll8] Piercing damage: [roll9] Acid damage: [roll10] Miss chance (high is a miss): [roll11]

Also, spellcraft to try to figure out what effect is giving the dragon miss chances. [roll12].

Finishing off with a 5' step northeast.

loopy
2012-07-12, 09:12 AM
Eoin Shatterbond

Crit damage: [roll0]

"BURN!" Eoin roars, the lance of energy leaves his hands in a flash of iridescent light, skittering over the dragon and leaving deep wounds, like those made by a thousand sharp blades... Or a dragon's bite. The warlock grins, and backs away, preparing to cast another incantation.

Eoin backs directly away from the dragon for his whole 30ft move speed.

mshady
2012-07-12, 11:14 PM
Turn 5

Thordek (Initiative 23): “Bundok! Let's flank it, aim for the wings!” Hoping his savage comrade would follow his lead, Thordrek went on to do one of the stupidest things in his life and charged a dragon.

“For Delzouuuuuunnnn!!” Thordek cries out. He charges towards the dragon and just as he is about to strike the dragon, his foot catches on a flag stone. He stumbles and finds himself looking right at the dragon’s ice like eyes, and it seems either annoyed or amused at his attack… right before it lunged at Thordek. It’s teeth bite down and shake Thordek. He feels the burning pain as it bites through his shoulder plate, crunching the armor there.

Thordek takes a 20 HP bite from the dragon’s attack of opportunity, which was a confirmed critical hit.

Johanness (Initiative 21): Just barely able to see the dragon now, Johanness stands back and fires another volley. Two of the arrows, while they looked aimed well enough, miss. The third though, strikes the dragon and it takes another wound. The acid seems to have no effect. Johanness is happy to just be able to land a hit against the dragon. He pauses for a moment to try and figure out what spells it has protecting it. A warded dragon was pretty damn scary.

Spellcraft roll of 9.

Try as he might, he can’t figure out what the dragon actually has protecting it.

Knowledge Arcana roll of 16

He wasn’t sure what else it had, but if it was a cleric who buffed the dragon, it had to be an Entropic Shield spell, and that was not going away any time soon.

Eoin Shatterbonds (Initiative 20): Finding himself standing in near proximity to a freaking dragon, the only thing Eoin can really do is to just keep blasting away. He sends another blast hurtling towards the dragon, and the blast puts a deep cut into the dragon’s side.

The dragon takes a 19 HP. Eoin cannot confirm the crit.

Sable (Initiative 14): Flying in the air, Sable narrows her eyes and hopes the poison will take effect. Once again, she draws and fires her bow at the dragon. Not worried about hitting Thordek, she aims for the dragon’s head. She manages to stick another arrow into the dragon’s neck, and the number of wounds are beginning to slow the dragon down.

Sable gets another hit on the dragon, it takes a 5 HP wound.

Bundok (Initiative 11): Taking a deep breath, he roars out his battle cry and charges at the dragon and trusts that Thordek isn’t suicidal. What choice was there? He charges towards the dragon as well, and swings his adamantine waraxe. He jumps at the dragon and chops down at its wing, but his axe too is deflected off the dragon’s hard scales as he doesn’t hit it at the right angle.

The dragon turns its bloody maw towards Bundok and bites at the vulnerable Bundok, biting into his arm and shredding flesh.

Bundok takes a 16 HP bite wound from an attack of opportunity.

White Dragon (Initiative 5): The dragon, surrounded by two dwarves, finally decides to lash out at one of them. The dragon judges Bundok to be more vulnerable, but more dangerous with his two axes, he attacks the dwarf. Its jaws snap, claws fly and wings batter the dwarf. Bundok is pummeled, and only manages to duck under a couple attacks. Blood flies and he is staggered by the wild attack.

Bundok takes 45 HP of damage from the dragon’s full attack.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/4/armorybattle5.jpg/

Map

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/2184/armorybattle5.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/4/armorybattle5.jpg/)

Toliudar
2012-07-12, 11:46 PM
Johannes

Could it be a blurring effect? No, there'd be clear visual change. Blinking would be even more obvious. The priestess might have cast Entropic Warding, but normally those priesty types can only use it on themselves. Puzzling. It meant either that this dragon had the power to cast priest magic, or else an exceptionally potent Heirophant was at work.

He winced as he watched Thordrek and Bundok both be mauled by the dragon. Johannes was feeling better and better about having gotten the hells off the roof when he did.

Lifting his bow again, he fired off another trio of arrows. He couldn't decide which god to pray for, so he sort of scattered a plea to half a dozen. Moradin, of course, but he also managed to work in Marthammor, Kelemvor, Silvanus, Bahamut and, what the heck, Auril for good measure. He didn't particularly care who was going to answer his prayers, as long as someone did.

Full attack, then a 5' step north.

Shot 1 attack [roll0] Damage: [roll1] Acid: [roll2] Miss chance (high is a miss): [roll3]
Shot 1 attack [roll4] Damage: [roll5] Acid: [roll6] Miss chance (high is a miss): [roll7]
Shot 1 attack [roll8] Damage: [roll9] Acid: [roll10] Miss chance (high is a miss): [roll11] - attack should have been 5 lower, so 20.

thorgrim29
2012-07-12, 11:57 PM
Thordrek

HP: 70
resist cold 10

Owwwww. That was embarrassing, and painful

Thordrek moves his shoulder a bit and, sure enough, he is in pain. However, he is able to move it well enough.
He takes a step to the left and motions for Bundok to do the same. After the other warrior follows suit, he attacks.

((5 foot step to the left, then delaying my action until Bundok provides a flanking bonus by taking a 5 foot step to the south-west, then, full attack))

Attack 1 [roll0] +16
Damage [roll1] +5

Attack 2 [roll2] +11
Damage [roll3] +5

loopy
2012-07-17, 08:18 AM
Eoin Shatterbond

Crit Confirm: [roll1]

Eoin fires another blast, head darting around. Where are Viktor and Tec'Lic? I haven't seen them since everything went to hell... Gritting his teeth, he prepares to flee if the dragon turns to engage him again.

King Tius
2012-07-21, 01:33 AM
OOC: Mike has asked me to run this turn. MWAHAHAHAHA

Turn 6

Thordek (Initiative 23): Thordek takes a five foot step and shouts at Bundok to move into position, waiting for the other Dwarf before taking his action…

Johanness (Initiative 21): As Johanness continues to muse about the spell effects warding the dragon, he sends another three arrows streaking towards it to further test its defenses. Having zeroed in on the distance, all three arrows hit their mark but fail to pierce the dragon’s tough scales.

Johanness misses with all three arrows

Eoin Shatterbonds (Initiative 20): Bemoaning the disappearance of his two companions, the disturbed and wounded man is still able to focus his diabolic/demonic power at the dragon and deliver another powerful hit. While the scores of arrows being shot at the dragon aren’t having much effect, Eoin’s blasts are packing quite a punch.

Eoin hits the dragon for 26 damage

Sable (Initiative 14): From her (relative) safety high in the sky, Sable sends another pair of arrows shooting towards the dragon. The first catches a bad draft off the dragon’s beating wings and clatters onto the roof. The second ricochets harmlessly off the dragon’s scales.

Sable misses with both attacks

Bundok (Initiative 11): Seeing the wisdom in Thordek’s idea, Bundok steps to the side and slashes furiously at the dragon. His first attack is deflected by the dragon’s scales, as is his second attack with his mithral Waraxe. His follow up strike, however, is rewarded with a spray of blood as he finds a weak spot between its scales, showering himself in steaming red dragon’s blood.

Bundok confirms a critical hit with his second attack for 33 damage.

Thordek (Initiative 23) - Delayed: Now in a better position and flanking with his ally, Thordek is able to score a blow, getting his own spray of blood as a prize.

Thordek hits the dragon for 15 damage.

White Dragon (Initiative 5): Enraged and reeling from the damage it took, the dragon strikes out with all its fury at Bundok. It lands attack after attack, easily overpowering Bundok’s defenses. It’s maw latches onto his arm and twists, snapping one of the bones in his forearm. With the Dwarf held, the dragon rears back smacking him with both its wings as it shifts its weight onto its haunches. Bundok somehow manages to deflect one of its claw attacks but the second catches him right across the face. Feeling the Dwarf’s body go limp, the dragon whips its tail at Thordek, smacking him solidly in the leg, square on the knee. Luckily his armor is able to prevent the dragon’s tail from smashing his kneecap to pieces.

Bundok takes 51 damage and goes unconscious. Thordek takes 17 damage from the tail slap.

The Map

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/3503/armory6.png

thorgrim29
2012-07-22, 04:39 PM
Thordrek

HP: 53
resist cold 10

Crap....

Thordrek is stunned by the ferocity of the attack, wondering if he had not made a terrible mistake and cost at least another his life.

oh well, in for a garnet, in for a diamond. Oi worm, how dyou like fire?

He casts scorching ray at the dragon

So, casting defensively, dc 17, +19 modifier, autosuccess

I'm not sure if I need to roll to overcome SR twice, but I think that makes sense so here it goes (caster level 8 +2 from spell power)

SR1 [roll0]
SR2 [roll1]

To hit 1 (ranged touch attack): [roll2]
Damage 1: (fire damage) : [roll3]

To hit 2 (ranged touch attack): [roll4]
Damage 2: (fire damage) : [roll5]

edit: where, there goes my last spell (and, probably, last round of conciousness), fizzling against it's spell resistance, we're doomed

Toliudar
2012-07-24, 02:18 AM
Johannes

The archer grimaced and shifted slightly, hoping for a new perspective on the dragon. His heart sank as he watched Bundok fold and fall out of his view. Unfortunate. Most unfortunate. Well, as long as the dragon was at least nominally tethered there on the roof, he could see little alternative to continuing to fire away, hoping that the dragon's protective magics would be finite.

5' step north.

Shot 1 Attack [roll0] Damage[roll1] Acid [roll2]
Shot 2 Attack [roll3] Damage[roll4] Acid [roll5]
Shot 3 Attack [roll6] Damage[roll7] Acid [roll8]

loopy
2012-07-31, 10:23 PM
Eoin Shatterbond

Another blast of eldritch energy arcs out as Eoin launches another blast towards the white dragon. Would this thing just die already? I've already faced death quite enough for one contract.

mshady
2012-08-01, 01:50 AM
Turn 7

Thordek (Initiative 23): With the sudden reversal of fortunes, Thordek reaches for the last spell he knew of significance.

“How do you like fire?” he snarls at the dragon, as it looms over the fallen Bundok. Two torches of fire, fist sized in diameter, scorch the dragon. He hopes to see its battered scales curl and be blow away by the fire and scorch real dragon flesh.

While the heat is real, they are still things of magic and the dragon ‘s hide shrugs off Thordek’s last real spell, and he knew that the dragon had resisted the spell.

We’re doomed, he thinks…

Johanness (Initiative 21): Hanging back still, Johanness continues to volley his dwindling supply of arrows at the dragon. Of his three shots, all hit, but none penetrate the things hide. Once again, a trio of arrows has no effect.

Gods be damned!

Eoin Shatterbonds (Initiative 20): Standing his ground, Eoin sends another eldritch blast sizzling towards the dragon. This blast too connects with a solid thump, that sends scales flying and a spray of blood.
Sable (Initiative 14): Drawing and firing again, Sable sends two more arrows at the dragon. One of the arrows penetrates, doing a small amount of damage.

Sable inflicts 5 hp.

Bundok (Initiative 11): He continues to bleed out.

White Dragon (Initiative 5): The dragon turns away from the fallen Bundok and ignores Eoin’s attacks, apparently deciding to deal with the closest threat first. The dragon lunges with its bloody maw and tries to tear out Thordek’s throat but instead clamps down on his shoulder. Metal squeals in protest as the teeth puncture the armor blood pours from the wound. Only Thordek’s earthsilk arming jacket lessens the pain from that blow, and a rain of others…

It than attacks with its tail, but it is not Thordek that it aims for but Bundok. The heavy tail whips upwards and comes crashing down on Bundok’s chest. There is a sickening crack as his ribcage is shattered by the blow, and his breathing ceases…

Thordek takes 31 HP damage, and Bundok is killed by the dragon’s tail.

No map this round, as position are unchanged, with the exception of Bundok’s death.

thorgrim29
2012-08-01, 04:39 PM
Thordrek

HP: 22
resist cold 10

See you in the Halls Bundok

Thordrek reflecs sadly, the considerable pain of his wounds forgotten for a moment. Thinking quickly, he lets out a cry of not entirely faked terror and runs away from the dragon at top speed, hoping to force it to tighten the chains.

(so, withdrawing to the left)

Toliudar
2012-08-01, 05:37 PM
Mike, is it possible that we have a different reading of damage reduction? Attacks that hit and did damage in the first round of combat are now missing, or perhaps hitting and doing no damage. If it's a dragon's normal DR, Johannes arrows should be penetrating. If it's entropic warding, that's only 20% and there's some seriously wacky probabilities happening. If it's stoneskin or something, then we've done enough damage to bring down 150 points of absorption.

Unless I hear otherwise from you, though, I'm going to assume it's none of these, and the dragon is simply immune to arrows. In which case.

Reaching down reflexively to his quiver, Johannes is shocked to find it empty. He winces again as he hears what he imagines to be Bundok's spine snap like a twig.

"All righty then. Bug ger this for a lark."

He slides another sheaf of arrows from his pack and begins to sidle to his right, towards the exit tunnel. He unleashes another arrow over Thordrek's head, but without much hope of helping.

Move action: move 30' towards exit.
Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1] Acid: [roll2]

How big is the exit? How far away is the entrance?

mshady
2012-08-02, 12:04 AM
Well, I think the math shows the AC at this point. You guys need a 30 to hit the dragon, due to some buffing. The dragon is wearing a coating of ice as well, which is functioning effectively like a stoneskin although not quite as effective and pretty much useless now. If I'm reading the results right of your stuff, it seems the last few volleys have missed.

With the exception of desperation shot as you withdrew. That actually hit pretty hard.

So, I think we are on the same page and the dragon is seriously hurt right now.

Toliudar
2012-08-02, 10:04 AM
Ah, thanks! I was metagaming a bit, and the first round's attacks hit a 25, so I will now consider those happy, happy flukes. AC 30 plus stoneskin and a miss chance...so, about that exit tunnel?

loopy
2012-08-03, 10:45 AM
Eoin Shatterbond

As the tail lashes down and ends the dwarf's life, Eoin swallows hastily. This... is not going well. The warlock fires another blast, and then looks around for an exit.

loopy
2012-08-03, 10:47 AM
Eoin Shatterbond

OOC: Oops.
[roll0]

mshady
2012-08-09, 11:43 PM
The Armory

Thordek (Initiative 23): Deciding that going one on one against the dragon was not the wisest move he could make in managing his future mortality after watching Bundok’s gruesome death, Thordek decides to withdraw with an almighty haste.

As he withdraws, the dragon’s long neck affords it plenty of time to snap at Thordek. The dragon grabs on to Thordek’s cloak, grabs and shreds it and just narrowly missed grabbing Thordek by the neck and riding him down.

Johanness (Initiative 21): With Bundok down, possibly dead, and Thordek backing off, Johanness started to think this might be a good time to make himself scarce. Discarding one quiver and reaching for another, he sends a parting shot at the dragon. The booming shot arcs and connects with the dragon, with the arrow sticking into its neck and it’s a gusher, by the Gods!

At least something went right, after feathering it with a whole quiver beforehand.

Looking over his shoulder, the stairwell is 100 feet away. It is wide and sweeping, and in another context, it might even be considered grand. His nose tastes fresh air for the first time in…Gods, who knew how long?
For a moment though, his keen ears catch something else. A faint ticking sound? Like a distant clock? It was only a moment, and in the echoes of this place it could come from anywhere. Was it the stairs? Some sort of great clock?

Johanness strikes the dragon for 16 HP.

Eoin Shatterbonds (Initiative 20): Holding position for the moment, Eoin sets his feet and summons another lethal blast. It surprised even him a bit that he was apparently the heavy hitter here.

“Nervous yet? A dragon’s tender affection are not what you desire” the voice says in his head. The Passenger says. Eoin would have preferred it stay quiet, except that not hearing it at all was odd.

His blast of sizzling blue magic stabs into the dragon’s side once again, but instead of a gout of blood and crackling energy, it looked more like he threw a fist full of flour at the dragon.
“Bound to happen sometime. It’s okay. It happens when you get older” the voice says with mocking assurance.

Sable (Initiative 14): With the situation disintegrating, Sable let her bow fall back into her harness and swooped forward. As she moves, she reaches for her rapier and lands on the ground next to the dragon. She interposes herself between the dragon and Thordek and fluidly moves into a guarding stance with her rapier held high and buckler facing the dragon. With a smile and a flick of the wrist, and her jet black rapier blazes to life with a pulsing blue fire.

“My name is Sable, and my sword’s name is Perfect Grace” she informs the dragon politely. “I wanted you to know that name before I killed you with it, wyrm”

Sable’s image destabilizes as she begins to blink in and out of phase with this Plane, as the dragon looks at her with fascination and bloody minded anger.

Sable appears to be under the effect of a Blink and Haste spells, and is in a maximum defensive stance.

White Dragon (Initiative 5): With its maw covered in Bundok and Thordek’s blood, as well as its own, the dragon’s chest heaves as it regards Sable speculatively. It roars suddenly, louder than it had before. The bellow blows back Sable’s hair and leaves a ringing in everyone’s ears. The thing was angry. Incensed someone had challenged it so blithely.

It launches itself into a full attack against Sable, as she tries to run interference to allow Thordek and Eoin to carry on. The dragon lunges at her and tries to bite her, but Sable spins away from the attack. The dragon sweeps one claw at her, but she ducks underneath it than sidesteps the next blow with comparative ease. Each time, she reaches out and smacks the dragon with the flat of her rapier’s blade and blackening its scales, more as an annoyance. The wide sweep of the dragon’s wings are first ducked under and then redirected just enough for her to step into its arc. The second time though, the dragon continued the movement and swept its deadly tail right at Sable as she recovered from her last dodge, and this time the tail connects solidly with Sable. The same tail that just killed the massively strong, solidly built dwarven ranger plowed into the nimble Sable.

Only the tail passed right through her, as she blinked out of existence at just the right moment. That one was more luck than skill, but she had always preferred to be lucky than good.

That was why she favored Tymora, after all.

Underneath them, the violent gyrations of the heavy dragon on the weakened roof finally begin to take their toll on it. Some of the stones fall away now on the already weakened roof, and everyone feels the roof sag a little, feel the building shift…

Below them, they hear something else. Sharp bangs. Pops. Creaks, The smell of alchemical fire. A song that seemed to vibrate the stone in the center of the building.

For below them, were another 50 slaves and what was left of the Wayward Sons.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/407/armoryy.jpg/

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/5224/armoryy.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/407/armoryy.jpg/)

thorgrim29
2012-08-10, 09:54 AM
Thordrek

What?

Thordrek knows Sable is formidable in her own way, but he also knows that does not include going five rounds with a dragon. He was about to charge back when he smells the fire below and it clicks into place. He cries out to her in dwarven, seing as the dragon gave no sign of understanding that language earlier.

Sable! I'm assumin' you've got a brilliant plan, don't know if you've noticed the bloody thing's thetered to the roof with adamantium chain and immovable rods

He pops a potion of CSW

[roll0]

loopy
2012-08-10, 11:50 AM
Eoin Shatterbond

The Song of the Sons swells in the deep. Over four dozen voices raised in defiance against the doom that enclosed around them.

"Adrift, outcast, and far from home
Always outmatched but never alone
Til all our foes are hewn to bone

You'll be a Wayward Son"

The memories of a hundred nights rushes back, of roaring fires, crowded inns, and long campaign marches with friends and brothers. Eoin throws his head back and joins in the song.

"When heroes fail, so great and bold
A company of legends is freely sold
When all that glitters is really gold

You'll have the Wayward Sons!

A war chant rings from every tongue
Singing now the fights begun
We raise our swords, our bows are strung

WE ARE THE WAYWARD SONS!"[/I]

As the last word roars out, he unleashes yet another Eldritch blast at the white dragon before him.

Crit: [roll1]

EDIT: Wow, a botch. That's... really disappointing. I spent an hour typing that up. I guess he got a little distracted by singing.

Toliudar
2012-08-10, 04:26 PM
Johannes

A smile plays across Johannes lips at the sound of Eoin singing from the rooftop. Indeed. Perhaps it was not quite time to make the leap.

Quickly, Johannes racked his brains for the names of gods of archery, and came up with six in total. He squeezed in a quick prayer to each of them before coming back to Marthammor Duin for good measure.

"Unfortunately, I'll probably never find out which one helped me."

His hand falling back into a steady rhythm, Johannes sends another trio of arrows arcing over the edge of the armoury towards the dragon.

Rapid shot:
Shot 1 attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1] Acid: [roll2]
Shot 2 attack: [roll3] Damage: [roll4] Acid: [roll5]
Shot 3 attack: [roll6] Damage: [roll7] Acid: [roll8]

Then taking a 5' step towards the exit tunnel. Can I get a sense of the distance to and size of the tunnel.

mshady
2012-08-15, 01:00 AM
Hey guys, could you add a "Spoiler" section like they are doing in the Temple thread so I can see what your AC and spell effects would be? It would make resolving your turns much easier :)

mshady
2012-08-15, 01:01 AM
Thordrek

What?

Thordrek knows Sable is formidable in her own way, but he also knows that does not include going five rounds with a dragon. He was about to charge back when he smells the fire below and it clicks into place. He cries out to her in dwarven, seing as the dragon gave no sign of understanding that language earlier.

Sable! I'm assumin' you've got a brilliant plan, don't know if you've noticed the bloody thing's thetered to the roof with adamantium chain and immovable rods

He pops a potion of CSW

[roll0]

What is Thordek's HP total? Is it 22 before, or after, that potion?

thorgrim29
2012-08-15, 01:07 AM
Before. And, yeah, sorry about that.

mshady
2012-08-15, 02:04 AM
Thordek (Initiative 23):

What?

Thordrek knows Sable is formidable in her own way, but he also knows that does not include going five rounds with a dragon. He was about to charge back when he smells the fire below and it clicks into place. He cries out to her in dwarven, seeing as the dragon gave no sign of understanding that language earlier.

Sable! I'm assumin' you've got a brilliant plan, don't know if you've noticed the bloody thing's tethered to the roof with adamantine chain and immovable rods!

He pops a potion of CSW.

Thordek heals himself 18 HP, bringing himself to a total of X HP

Johanness (Initiative 21): A smile plays across Johannes lips at the sound of Eoin singing from the rooftop. Indeed. Perhaps it was not quite time to make the leap.

Quickly, Johannes racked his brains for the names of gods of archery, and came up with six in total. He squeezed in a quick prayer to each of them before coming back to Marthammor Duin for good measure.

"Unfortunately, I'll probably never find out which one helped me."

His hand falling back into a steady rhythm, Johannes sends another trio of arrows arcing over the edge of the armoury towards the dragon. The trio of rapidly fired arrows fall around the dragon, and with it engaged in melee, only a luck shot would seem to hit it here. None of the shots were that lucky, however.

Looking behind him as his arrows miss once again, he checks behind him. He figured the distance to the stairs was 100 feet. The tunnel itself is pretty wide and total. Like most things his people built, it was grand. Grand enough that the damned dragon could probably chase him up the stairs if it wanted to.

If it saw him leave. Hmmm. What was up the stairs though? He might escape the dragon, but could he possibly escape the Stoneburner? Buelyir would blow it if the fight was lost, killing them all anyways. He was a hard case like that…

Eoin Shatterbonds (Initiative 20):

The Song of the Sons swells in the deep. Over four dozen voices raised in defiance against the doom that enclosed around them.

"Adrift, outcast, and far from home
Always outmatched but never alone
Til all our foes are hewn to bone

You'll be a Wayward Son"

The memories of a hundred nights rushes back, of roaring fires, crowded inns, and long campaign marches with friends and brothers. Eoin throws his head back and joins in the song.

"When heroes fail, so great and bold
A company of legends is freely sold
When all that glitters is really gold

You'll have the Wayward Sons!

A war chant rings from every tongue
Singing now the fights begun
We raise our swords, our bows are strung

WE ARE THE WAYWARD SONS!"

As the last word roars out, he unleashes yet another Eldritch blast at the white dragon before him. Just as he does so, he feels his arm move sharply and uncontrollably. Instead of hitting the dragon, the deadly spike of arcane energy hurtles to a specific point just short of the dragon’s feet. It bites into the stone beneath the dragon. Some of the stones are throw aside or disrupted, but the ones directly impacted simply explode from the energy, sending shards of stone flying.

Beneath the dragon, the roof groans and settles inward and giving the entire roof a slope downward. A tremor shakes the building now, as the old building is tortured by the weakened roof and supports, along with a dragon flailing about on its top.

Sorry about that, old chap! I had a better idea. I think this one could be much more fun, don’t you? Eoin is informed cheerfully (?) by his Passenger.

Even if it happened to be right, it was frankly disturbing it could exert control like that. Wasn’t it?

Sable (Initiative 14): Aware of what was going on beneath her, Sable was determined to try and keep the dragon in place long enough for whatever was going to happen to happen. She just hoped she would be able to escape it. Returning to her defensive stance, she looks up at the dragon and looks the massive creature right in the eyes. It was hard to get a reading on this killing machine, but she did know it was incredibly aggressive and had already killed many today. The top of the roof was awash with the blood of slaves and dwarfs alike. Poor Bundok!

"I always have a brilliant plan! Its called kill it!" Sable responds in a strange sounding, human accented dwarven.

Now that she had its attention though, she bobs to the left and right, and watches the dragon’s head follow her movements as its long neck allowed it to follow her moves. Seeing that it had her movement covered, Sable turns her back to flee away from the dragon.

No sooner did she start to fall back did the dragon lunge at her, moving faster than something that large had any right to do.

As she turned though, she finished her turn and fell back as the dragon lunged for her. As the dragon’s great maw shot towards her, Sable’s rapier flash out in front of her as she fell back and the dragon drove its own head right into Sable’s deadly rapier. The rapier was driven right into the dragon’s bottom jaw, shooting out from the bottom of its mouth and spearing its tongue all the way through as well for good measure. The dragon roared in fury as it snapped its head back, trailing a stream of blood from the smoking hole in the bottom of its jaw. Blood poured from the hole like from a hose, a similarly, blood sprayed from its mouth as the dragon roared in anger at Sable’s actions.

Sable successfully executed a feint against the dragon, and then rolled an unconfirmed critical on the dragon. Since it was flat footed, she received a sneak attack bonus as well. Sable inflicted 23 HP damage on the dragon, and royally ticked it off in the process!

White Dragon (Initiative 5): With blood dripped from its mouth, the dragon slams its claws into the roof in fury from the pain. Even though it had just been badly stabbed by this lone human female, its coiled its long neck back for a moment and shot out at Sable to bite her and tear her apart, but to no avail as the bite passed through her as she “blinked” again for the moment. Once again, the damned human smacked it with the flat of her sizzling blade as it missed her!

Next, the dragon sends both of it bloody claws flying towards Sable in a vicious and powerful slashes. The first slash misses Sable, as she pirouettes away from it and sends a claw into the increasingly unstable roof. The stone it hits falls downwards, punched out of roof and driven downwards. The second wild slash goes high, and Sable falls under it with a sudden split, before rolling back to her feet with an acrobat’s dexterity. The dragon’s bone wing ridge comes flashing next at her like a scythe, but the first swing is missed, followed by a second one. Sable had dodged the first by ducking underneath it, and barely needed to adjust her position to avoid the second. As the wings swish past her, she follows each with another smack of her blade.

Once again, the dragon whips its tail at Sable like a massive club and once again, she doesn’t have time to get away from the whip like tail. It connects with her, but once again it catches her just as she is out of phase for a moment, blinking away between here and the ethereal plane, much like Buelyir was known to do. Instead, the tail hits the roof and hits it hard and a fissure shoots down half the length of the roof. It rumbles and sags, but the furious dragon is only concerned about killing this infuriating human woman for now. Not the roof or the two harpoons with their whipping cables…

Same map as last round, everyone!

Down below, they could all hear the song now, along with more sharp bangs and groans. It would seem the remaining slaves were trying to bring the roof down on top of themselves, doing whatever the could.

The Breakers

It occurred to both Thordek and Eoin that the roof may not be the safest place to be in the near future...

thorgrim29
2012-08-15, 10:51 AM
Thordrek

HP: 40
resist cold 10

Thordrek takes another CSW potion and moves towards the stairs

[roll0]

Toliudar
2012-08-15, 12:50 PM
Having some inkling of what the freed slaves within the armoury might be trying to accomplish, and what sacrifice this might entail, Johannes' heart swells with pride and empathy. Look at what he had inspired!

Standing his ground for the moment, Johannes gets to work emptying a second quiver of arrows at the dragon.

Volley of three arrows:

Shot 1 [roll0] Damage: [roll1] Acid: [roll2]
Shot 2 [roll3] Damage: [roll4] Acid: [roll5]
Shot 3 [roll6] Damage: [roll7] Acid: [roll8]

loopy
2012-08-22, 03:34 AM
Eoin Shatterbond

The warlock wrenches his hand back into position, snarling audibly as he rebukes the Passenger. Never do that again! He fires another lance of eldritch energy, then starts to retreat to one of the exits from the roof.

"Johannes, Sable, and...!" Mentally searching for a name, he draws a blank. "...soldier dwarf. I think it's time to get clear!"

mshady
2012-08-25, 12:12 PM
Thordek (Initiative 23): Seeing which way things were heading, and not wanting to be on the roof when it did, Thordek prepares to move out. He guzzles another potion from a lead vial held on his bandolier and heads for the stairs. As he moves, he goes past dozens of dead slaves. Some are still alive and groan in pain, calling for his help as he goes. There just isn’t the time for him to do anything more than spare a glance at Sable and hope the crazy human woman was not planning to ride the rubble down with the dragon when everything collapsed.

He takes some relief by remembering that she was one of Buelyir’s mercenaries and not a Patriarchate dwarf. She wouldn’t willing sacrifice her life for their cause, would she? Buelyir might willing sacrifice her, but she had to have another plan.

Right?

Assuming the dragon did not drag her down with it. It was still a helluva risk…

Johanness (Initiative 21): Having some inkling of what the freed slaves within the armoury might be trying to accomplish, and what sacrifice this might entail, Johannes' heart swells with pride and empathy. Look at what he had inspired!

Standing his ground for the moment, Johannes gets to work emptying a second quiver of arrows at the dragon.

The dwarf sends three more arrows booming towards the dragon in a high arc, but the rapidity of his shots are not doing him any favors here again. Two of the arrows stick into the dragon’s tough hide once again, but it does not appear they sunk deeply enough to do any damage.

Damn that thing!

Eoin Shatterbonds (Initiative 20): The warlock wrenches his hand back into position, snarling audibly as he rebukes the Passenger. Never do that again! He fires another lance of eldritch energy, then starts to retreat to one of the exits from the roof.

Drawing upon his well of eldrict power, Eoin sends another azure bolt of sizzling energy lancing towards the dragon’s broad torso. His attack connects easily enough, but instead of stabbing into the dragon and causing another nasty wound, the bolt of energy splashes off the dragon. It creates a rainbow colored omnidirectional splash of light and energy, which is utterly harmless to the dragon.

"Johannes, Sable, and...!" Mentally searching for a name, he draws a blank. "...soldier dwarf. I think it's time to get clear!"

Sable (Initiative 14): Sable spares a quick glance to the floor and can feel the roof swaying and buckling beneath her. It felt like being on a ship in increasingly rough seas. Ancient stone starts to fall randomly from the roof all around her, no doubt pummeling anyone beneath with a hard rain of deadly stone. She pitied anyone directly below, but thanked them for it. The Blur spell she cast keeps stuttering, sending her in and out of this Plane in a random pattern and causing that familiar nausea but she remained.

“Come on, you dumb old lizard! Catch me if you can!” she exclaims. Her hands flash and she sends a tanglefoot bag flying at the dragon’s left rear foot, trying to glue the wyrm to the flagstone roof. It moves its foot just enough to avoid the worst of it, but the leg is still fouled and she knew she just limited its movement at a crucial time.

Come on, fall already!

White Dragon (Initiative 5): The dragons neck snakes around to look at its leg and snarls at the odd looking glue and then snaps back to regard Sable.

“Stupid Cow!” the dragon snarls at her in a guttural, unsettling form of Common. It snaps at Sable, and this time her fancy moves and spells fail her as the dragon grabs her arm. Its teeth stab into her forearm and shake her violent. One of the teeth goes straight through her arm and she cannot help but scream at the pain, and she barely avoids being thrown to the ground.

“Xurdotter a-hungry!” rages the dragon, as it finally tastes that hateful woman’s blood. Two more claws flash. The first one connects and sends her sword, Perfect Grace, flying off of the rooftop, spinning wildly as it tumbles to the ground on the side opposite of where Johanness is. The second raking blow just misses Sable’s vulnerable neck.

The barrage of wings follows now, and she avoids the first blow with ease. The second catches her hard in the torso, knocking the wind out of her with a “huff”.

The dragon’s tail goes flashing towards the disarmed Sable again as well, and it comes at a height that just might have took her head off at the shoulder, but this time she manages to time her Blur spell just right and the tail passes right by her.

Sable takes 23 HP damage from the dragon this time, with her luck finally failing her. She is also currently disarmed of her sword.

The dragon’s wild movements though do the roof no more favors. With a groan, some of the stones beneath the dragon’s right foot fall away…

“Run! All of you run!” Sable cries out as the roof lets go, finally. She watches as Bundok’s body disappears from the roof, falling downwards 50 feet in a rain of falling stone as well…

loopy
2012-08-27, 10:58 AM
Eoin Shatterbond

"RUN!" Eoin screams, eyes widening. "RUN!" He'd witnessed a cave-in once, when an entire slum in Luskan collapsed into the Underdark. He'd vowed that he'd never follow them into the black... Gods, just another promise he'd broken.

A falling boulder hurtles from above as he runs. Disappearing into the darkness, he appears a good thirty feet closer to the exit and keeps running.

thorgrim29
2012-08-27, 11:09 PM
Thordrek

Feeling well enough for the moment, Thordrek decides his previous plan of going down the stairs is a bad idea. Figuring the ledge might be spared by the collapse of the floor and that if he's wrong he would rather fall hard then be crushed by a few tons of rock, he stands between two of the merlons closest to him and curses his lack of rope as he prepares to thow himself down if it appears necessary

Toliudar
2012-08-28, 12:09 PM
Johannes

Johannes sees Thordrek lunge towards the edge of the roof and raises his voice.

"Thordrek, you lunkhead! To your left a bit, the rope that I used to climb down. It's still there!"

Sixty feet away from the building, Johannes felt comfortable in holding his ground. Besides, he didn't particularly want to be the first one up the exit tunnel. Who knew what unpleasantness might have been left by the Aurilites? Instead, he tries to make sure that the fall will indeed kill the dragon, adding another three arrows to the sheaf already sticking out of it.

Arrow 1: [roll0] Damage: [roll1] Acid: [roll2]
Arrow 2: [roll3] Damage: [roll4] Acid: [roll5]
Arrow 3: [roll6] Damage: [roll7] Acid: [roll8]

thorgrim29
2012-08-28, 01:20 PM
Thordrek

Thanks

Seing the rope, Thordrek instead starts lowering himself with it, thankfull for the boost the belt gave his arms.

mshady
2012-08-28, 10:29 PM
Falling Down

As the stone roof of the ancient dwarf armory starts to pull apart, Thordek and Eoin clear out and Johannes sends three more arrows booming towards the dragon, to no more effect than before. Stones from the roof fall into the armory below as the former slaves continue to weaken the ancient supports. Dozens of acid bombs hurled at the roof or poured into supports do their work, and the center under the dragon sags.

Atop the roof, the dragon’s wings beat as it tries to lessen its weight on the roof and still continue its fight against Sable. After the terrible wound she had done to its pride and the maiming of its mouth, it refused to give up the fight until the woman was torn apart. Sable’s second, and last, tanglefoot bag did the trick though and fouled the dragon’s right wing and the dragon’s full weight again fell on the roof as the old iron below screamed in protest. It attacked with a fury again, catching Sable one more time and sent a spray of blood as her leg was flayed open by the dragon’s claws.

Still though, the crumbling roof held for another moment as grapnels below pulled on the stubborn old beams. While Johannes might think this act was by his inspiration, the self-sacrifice was one motivated by a hate for their captors, for their dragons. For being worked to death by their slavers and fed to their masters. If they all died in the next few moments, taking one of those dragon’s with them would be counted as worth it.

With Eoin and Thordek clear, the staggering Sable tosses a pained smile and a wave to the dragon and pops back into the air, leaving the roof behind her. The dragon lunges at her and misses, than tries to launch itself into the air at Sable. It’s wing sticks though, and its foot causes him to hesitate in its leap. As it tried to lift into the air though, the two adamantine cables pull taut and it costs the dragon any momentum before it crashes back into the roof.

Several thousand pounds of raging, wounded, dragon falls twenty feet onto the weakened roof. Crashes into it and through it in an avalanche of stone that pounds the ground, and slaves below. Some are turned into a red paste or a spray of fluid by the old, heavy, stones. Arresting the dragon’s fall are the adamantine cables from the well places harpoons, presents left by Thordek. The rods hold just long enough for the dragon to flail in protest and swing like a massive wrecking ball into the wall.

Dozens of slaves scream in fear as the beast crashes into the gallery, sending several tumbling away from the gallery they were standing on. The weight of the dragon carries though, and the middle of the wall crashes away, taking the merlons the rods are secured to with them. The wall crashes onto the ground, the wall that Thordek had just rapelled down and run from. Blocks of stone tumble and roll on the ground as what remained of the roof fell away and even the back half of the armory falls away now as well. Tangled in the cables and half buried in the stone, the badly wounded dragon lays on the ground now. Its long neck is still free, snapping and roaring but even the neck is covered in blood. One wing is completely snapped, sideways and torn, bone exposed and jagged.

The dragon was wounded, but the dragon was still alive. The dragon throws one of the blocks off its chest and the rubble heaves…

What remains of the slaves stand in the remains of the armory and look at the dragon in wonder. Wonder that it had been brought down. Wonder that it was still alive.

Half of their number lay crushed under the stones or crushed under the dragon. Several screams echo through the area, the screams of the maimed yet living.

At the front of the temple, the old and massive dwarf statue stands its eternal guard, unmoved by the collapse of the armory behind it.

thorgrim29
2012-08-28, 11:55 PM
Thordrek

You MUST be kidding

As the dust clear, a dazed Thordrek watches as the indomitable dragon still seems to have some fight left in it, fortunately, so did he. He walks towards it, staying well outside the range of it's breath weapon. While waiting for the others, he pleads with that dragon, hoping it is not too blood-maddened to heed his words. He lays it a little thick, hoping to appeal to the dragon's pride.

Xurdotter, you fought well, and our bards will sing of this battle for centuries, but make no mistake it is over, and as we were by far the group least ready to face one such as you I am confident your wingmates are dead or dying. Give your word that you will not attack, and we'll make your end as painless and swift as possible, else we'll be forced to fill your head with arrows and fire, hardly a fitting end for one as mighty as you.

Toliudar
2012-08-29, 12:26 AM
Johannes trots a bit closer to the collapsed ruin of the treasury, still wary of the massive dragon's swiveling head. He had just been formulating how best to deal with the situation of a dragon that was mostly dead but not the crucial part dead, when Thordrek stepped in so capably. Johannes wasn't actually clear about what the priest was offering the behemoth, but more importantly, the focus was on someone other than him.

For the moment, Johannes was content to be 'just' an observer, holding his bow at ready in case the dragon proved intractible.

Move action as needed in order to maintain line of sight to the dragon.
Standard action to ready an action to shoot the dragon if it starts to take any kind of offensive action. [roll0] Damage: [roll1] Acid: [roll2]

mshady
2012-08-29, 12:47 AM
Thordrek

You MUST be kidding

As the dust clear, a dazed Thordrek watches as the indomitable dragon still seems to have some fight left in it, fortunately, so did he. He walks towards it, staying well outside the range of it's breath weapon. While waiting for the others, he pleads with that dragon, hoping it is not too blood-maddened to heed his words. He lays it a little thick, hoping to appeal to the dragon's pride.

Xurdotter, you fought well, and our bards will sing of this battle for centuries, but make no mistake it is over, and as we were by far the group least ready to face one such as you I am confident your wingmates are dead or dying. Give your word that you will not attack, and we'll make your end as painless and swift as possible, else we'll be forced to fill your head with arrows and fire, hardly a fitting end for one as mighty as you.

It takes the dragon a moment, but it's powerful forearm rolls another stone off its chest. It lands with a thump. The stone block is stained red, and both Thordek and Johannes can see strains of long, blonde hair matted on it. With a quick brush of its claws, it sends the remains rolling off its just to join the stain on the ground.

The dragon's long neck snakes upwards, looking upwards at the massive sky light that it and its two comrades had descended from minutes ago. The dragon calms itself and than cranes its neck to face Thordek, who wisely keeps his distance.

The screams in the rubble are mostly moans now, as the dragon looks at Thordek. Its eyes are still bright and alert, and Thordek can see the ruthless intelligence of the mind behind those eyes. Its only weakness had been its rage here, it seemed.

Blood trickles from the nasty hole in the bottom of its jaw, thanks to Sable's last blade. Cold vapor rolls out of the dragon's nostrils as it looks at Thordek.

"Dwarf" it says, its voice rumbling, deep and odd. "Unlike dwarfs, dragon's do not lay down! They do not beg! Xurshin's children fight!!" it pronounces, it s voice full for force and violence. It's words turn to a roar. A powerful one.

This dragon had fight left in it.

If mundane arrows barely hurt it, would falling rocks?

It looks up again suddenly, up into the sky light, than back down at Thordek, before it did something profoundly unsettling.

It began laughing, a rumbling, sadistic laugh. It heaved another stone off of its chest with a thump now as well, but still remaining pinned.

Toliudar
2012-08-29, 02:34 AM
I think that we can consider that a sign of ongoing aggression. Johannes action will proceed.

thorgrim29
2012-08-29, 08:28 PM
Thordrek

HP: 56
resist cold 10

Oh well, guess I'll have to add dragonslayer to my name then, no time like the present

With a grim grin (try saying that 5 times), Thordrek charges the wounded dragon, aiming for the neck

(point of order, is the dragon prone? If so add 4 to my to hit roll, also, I'd argue that it doesn't get attackf of opportunity because I'm attacking it's head and not it's body, therefore negating it's reach))

Attack: [roll0] + 16
Damage: [roll1] +5

mshady
2012-08-30, 10:32 PM
OOC: The dragon is prone, so I'll grant you that but Johannes get a -4 in return.

I would say the dragon's neck, even prone, does give it reach still. Have fun with that. I know I will... :)

thorgrim29
2012-08-30, 10:53 PM
Remember that as it's prone it has -4 to hit

mshady
2012-08-30, 11:00 PM
Thordek's Last Charge?

Thordek charges at the dragon, eager to end the wicked creature's existence. The beast is partly covered in precisely cut and ancient blocks of granite that weigh on it heavily, but not too heavily...

He surges forward and watches the half buried dragon's neck rise over him as he approaches it. Suddenly, the dragon snaps at him before he could get close enough for his own charge to strike home. The dragon's wounded head plows past Thordek's shield and its bite strikes his shoulder and neck with vice like strength.

The dragon rolls a 28 and does 16 HP to Thordek. He is now at 40 HP

The dwarf pushes past the dragon and jump cuts past a block of stone to try and strike at the dragon's neck. He remembers what happened last time he had charged this dragon. Bundok had been torn apart by the thing.

Thordek's own attack is fouled, as he stumbles on a stone and the powerful chop of his axe is turned away by the battered dragon's tough scales.

Distantly, Thordek thinks those scales might make excellent armor some day... Here or in Moradin's Halls.

Xurdotter the White lunges at Thordek again, but instead of taking a bite out of the reeling Levtokuld, it goes for Thordek's axe instead!

Thordek swings at it, but once again those scales turn away even an adamantine axe (Thordek rolled a 23), and the dragon latches on to the blunt rear of the axe, along with its hilt and gives it a mighty pull! The axe is too big to snatch away, or even swallow, but snaps its neck and tosses the axe 5 feet to Thordek's left.

Xurdotter rolled a 36 and Thordek rolled a 26.

Thordek has now been disarmed of his axe.

Johannes' arrow zips past Thordek and strikes the dragon in the exposed neck, but it only sticks into a scale and the acid sizzles uselessly on the scales around it.

Thordek has the option to Withdraw, at the expense of an Attack of Oppurtunity.

Edit: For earthsilk DR and adjustment of rolls.

thorgrim29
2012-08-31, 12:12 AM
Thordrek

resist cold 10

AGAIN?

Fortunately, or unfortunately, Thordrek was used to being disarmed in battle, he would really have to ask the quartermasters if something could be done about that. He simply draws his other axe and strikes at the dragon, while it is not nearly as sharp as the adamentine one, he has forged this weapon himself and knew it intimately.

to hit [roll0] + 18
Damage: [roll1] + 5

As his axe bites into dragonflesh, he smiles in satisfaction and calls back:

Guys? She's not going to stay buried in the rubble forever, Thordrek Dragonslayer sounds good but surviving this fight sounds better, help!

loopy
2012-08-31, 04:57 AM
Eoin Shatterbond

The pent up stress was getting to be too much. A throbbing pain had started behind his eyes, spiking anew with every heartbeat. After all that he had been through today, couldn't the dragon have had the common decency to die already?

Toliudar
2012-08-31, 10:49 AM
Johannes

At some point, when they were in a warmer place, perhaps with a fire and a second bottle of wine nearby, Johannes would have a brief, cheerful and heartfelt chat with Thordrek about the usefulness of throwing axes.

In the meantime, however, he simply raised another arrow and released, raised and released, raised and released, trying to adjust for the smaller profile the prone dragon provided.

5' step back towards the armoury.

Shot 1 attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1] Acid: [roll2]
Shot 2 attack: [roll3] Damage: [roll4] Acid: [roll5]
Shot 3 attack: [roll6] Damage: [roll7] Acid: [roll8]

mshady
2012-09-01, 03:49 PM
The Armory

Thordek:

Now disarmed, Thordek curses his luck. There was something about people trying to disarm him that really, really was getting on her nerves. Rather than retreat, Thordek reached for his other axe and hoped the opening he gave the dragon would not be big enough for the damn thing to hit him.

You would think a pulverized dragon, pinned under some rubble would not be as dangerous as it was, but it was still a dragon, right?

So Thordek dug deep, and reached for his other axe. The axe he had made himself and served him many years. It snaps down at Thordek, crashes past his shield and bites at his arm but the chainmail gussets and plate metal hold.

Growling through the pain, Thordek grips the axe as tightly as he still can, and swings at the dragon’s neck as hard as he possibly can and still hit the fast moving target but he connects with it.

The waraxe cuts through the scales, finally, and sinks deep in Xurdotter’s neck, and he is rewarded with a spray of blood and a dragon’s scream. His own battle cry was just barely drowned out by it.

The dragon takes a 12 HP wound, but still remains alive.

Xurdotter

As Thordek yanks the waraxe free, the dragon neck arches straight down and its jaws clamp down hard on Thordek’s helmet and crunches as hard as it can, twists and yanks back as hard as it can. Thordek head comes flying off.

Or so Johanness and Eoin thought, for it was only Thordek’s helmet that was torn away!

Breathing a sigh of relief, Thordek squares himself against the dragon and gets ready for the next attack. Blood blasts from the wound in the dragon’s neck with every icy breath.

Eoin

Joining the fray, Eoin fights off a pain as it feels like his head was about to split in two. He sends another bolt of eldritch energy streaking towards the dragon, aiming for the base of its neck and trying not to hit Thordek in the process.

The blast hits hard, burning the dragon’s neck right near where Thordek had just struck with his axe. The dragon goes reeling backwards from the wound.

Eoin connects with the dragon for a 20 HP wound.

Johanness unloads as well, sending three more arrows streaking towards the dragon. With its reduced profile, even his best shot fails to penetrate the dragon. One of them does strike the dragon right in the back of the head though and it snaps his back from the impact.

It occurs to Johannes maybe he should be shooting there to distract it (i.e. the DM will allow an Aid Another on a good shot).

Sable

With a soft “poof”, Sable reappears out of a cloud of darkness and shadows. Blood runs down her leg now and her arm looks more like hamburger. Her arm is strained red from the wound. In her hands is a long whip covered in silver rings with small barbs on it.

“Remember me, bitch?” Sable says, and snaps the long whip. It cracks with a resounding bang and the dragon turns its attention to her for a moment and roars.

The whip in her hand came from Sigil and was wielded by the Black Orc from the arena battle where Grathalmor had nearly been killed.

thorgrim29
2012-09-01, 04:02 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#handyHaversack

Retrieving any specific item from a haversack is a move action, but it does not provoke the attacks of opportunity that retrieving a stored item usually does.

mshady
2012-09-01, 04:10 PM
OOC: Didn't specify it was in the haversack, so I had no idea. Of course, where else would you put it, right?

I'll adjust

thorgrim29
2012-09-01, 04:18 PM
Thordrek

resist cold 10

When he saw the dragon try to bite him in half, Thordrek bent at the knees and managed to almost evade the attack, loosing his helm but suffering no injury.

He turns his head slightly at the crack of the whip, keeping the dragon in sight

Good to see you still in the fight Sable, I must admit your plan was a brilliant one

Emboldened by the presence of his allies, he can't resist riling up the dragon a bit more

Look, I'm flattered that you're trying to get me naked and all, but I really don't go for dragons, plus your breath smells like death, you'd think frost dragons would have a fresh breath but no

He chuckles as he attacks again

attack 1 to hit [roll0] +18
attack 1 damage [roll1] +5

attack 2 to hit [roll2] +13
attack 2 damage [roll3] +5

Edit: Well, I figure it would either be in the haversack or at his belt, in any case that means no AOO. Also, wow the faildice strikes again. It's funny, you can always tell when I'm doing my annual rereading of the Dresden Files, Thordrek starts being a ****.

Toliudar
2012-09-03, 01:12 AM
Johannes is delighted that Sable has decided to stick around. He is once again amazed at the number of people who wish to get within biting distance of a dragon. Especially since he's very clear that he is not one of them.

"Clearly, this dragon has forgotten that the head is not a dwarf's vulnerable point."

He stands his ground, firing three more arrows into a dragon that he hoped was just as weak as it was stupid.

Arrow 1 attack [roll0] Damage [roll1] Acid [roll2]
Arrow 2 attack [roll3] Damage [roll4] Acid [roll5]
Arrow 3 attack [roll6] Damage [roll7] Acid [roll8]

mshady
2012-09-03, 03:48 PM
Thordek:

With his new axe in hand and close to the dragon now, Thordek swings at its neck again. He can see there is not much rubble left holding the dragon down, and while the harpoons are stuck fast into it, the stones the rods were attached to were little more than loose rubble now.

He makes two quick attacks on the dragon's neck, trying to finally open its neck up, but fails to get his axe through the damn things toughened scales.

Xurdotter:

Thordek's close proximity and its own inability to move very well caused it to lunge at Thordek but get a snout full of rubble this time. The dragon recoils from its attack, a red stain on some rubble next to him and fragments of shattered teeth. Xurdotter recoils and roars at the pain...

Xurdotter rolled a natural 1 and broke some teeth. Subsequent attacks will be at a -1 damage. VERY lucky!

Not bothering with another attack, the dragon tries to lift itself out of the rubble again, and rubble tumbles free as it rises. Two of the dragon's claws are now free, but only one could be used without the weight of the rubble pressing it back into the pile again.

Eoin

"Finish the dragon now, Eoin! Finish it and we'll drink of its blood together!" the Passenger in Eoin's head blasts into his consciousness. The psychic pain of those words was almost enough to make him cross his eyes.

He sends another blast of eldritch energy hurtling towards the dragon, the bright light of it illuminating the dimness of the area. Despite the passenger's eagerness, the bolt of arcane energy strikes the dragon and splashes off its scales rather than scarring it.

"Frak!" both Eoin and the passenger snarl.

Johannes

Presented with a bigger target, the standoff-ish archer sends another volley hurtling towards the dragon. One of the arrows is a clean miss, but he feathers the dragon's neck with two more arrows. It was starting to look like a head dress. If only he had some magic left!

He did have some uses of his Hunter's Mercy rod left. What about that? His shirt of chains would give him some resistance to the dragon's bite. Plus, he was behind it, and had a sword. A fine one. He could.... Before it came to that, he would be heading elsewhere. Someone had to survive this, right? What about that shrunken barrel of flaming oil? Not that this one seemed bothered by fire, or acid. Damned magic!

Sable:

Newly arrived in the fight, Sable runs at the dragon and struck with the heavy chain whip and wrapped it around one of the dragon's legs. She tried to pull the dragon's leg out from under it, and somehow manages to do just that! With a snarl, the dragon collapses back under the rubble and roars at Sable. With the chain wrapped around its leg still, the dragon snaps at Sable. Its jaws clamp down on her leg and she screams from the pain as blood bubbles out of the wounds, The dragon violently shakes its head and tries to rip off Sable's leg, but she punches the dragon in the nose as hard as she can. Xurdotter relinquishes her hold and withdraws, blood dripping from her teeth, along with scraps of leather and flesh.

Recovering for a moment, and still holding the whip, she flashes the dragon a savage smile and there is a soft "click" from the handle of the axe. All of the chains seem to tighten around Xurdotter's leg, and than she drops the handle of the whip on to the ground.

The hilt of the whip stands up pin straight when it hits an exposed section of the flagstone floor beneath her feet.

"Gotcha" Sable pronounces with satisfaction. dwarf.

"Thordek, hurry up over there!" she yells across the way to the dwarf.

thorgrim29
2012-09-03, 05:56 PM
Thordrek

resist cold 10

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm

Standing up from prone is a move action that provoques an AOO, so I'll roll for it here

to hit AOO [roll0] +14
Damage AOO [roll1] +5

Thordrek gives Sable a small salute

Yes Ma'am

He attacks again

to hit 1 [roll2] +18
Damage 1 [roll3] +5

to hit 2 [roll4] +13
Damage 2 [roll5] +5

Toliudar
2012-09-04, 12:17 AM
Johannes

The slender dwarf sees Xurdotter rise, and takes some hope from the fact that the dragon was once again a massive target. Now they just had to keep her shut down. He looked around at the surviving slaves, those he had armed with bows.

"Come on! After that extraordinary act of bravery, don't give up now. Fire! Fire at will!"

He follows up with his own shots.

All of Johannes' arrows count as magic, whereas his sword wouldn't. Based on your reference from the previous post, I just wanted to make sure that was clear. And if there was a stoneskin effect, it should have worn off some time ago.

Arrow 1 attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1] Acid: [roll2]
Arrow 2 attack: [roll3] Damage: [roll4] Acid: [roll5]
Arrow 3 attack: [roll6] Damage: [roll7] Acid: [roll8]

mshady
2012-09-05, 12:21 AM
Thordek: When the dragon tried to rise out of the rubble, Thordek had managed another quick cut against the dragon’s exposed breast. He managed to score another wound, his axe cutting underneath its scales and he hears the crack of another rib. He yanks the axe free, and is rewarded with frothy blood from the wound. Thordek had managed to puncture one of the dragon’s lungs finally, either with his axe or from the bone fragments. He knew enough to know this was perhaps a mortal wound.
Eventually was not good enough though.

Thordek inflicts 13 HP on the dragon.

Thordek pounded the dragon with two more attacks, but his axe blows rebounded off the dragon’s thick, bloodied neck scales. Still though, the wounded beast had a wound on its neck that nearly opened its wind pipe and another tearing open its chest now. How much more could it take?

Xurdotter: Presented with two targets now, the dragon weighs which foe is more threatening. Seeing that Sable is presently disarmed, it returns its attention to Thordek. The dragon roars and snaps at the dwarf, grabbing him about the shoulders and neck. Its teeth sink in deeply and it tries to lift Thordek off his legs, but his weight is a bit too much for the dragon. It settles for violently shaking the dwarf, and it is all he can do to get it to relinquish its grasp by bashing it with his shield desperately. When the dragon finally withdraws, it rips the right shoulder pauldron away, tearing away the straps and snapping the pins. The armor is stained red and pierced in a several places. With a mouth full of metal instead of flesh, the furious dragon spits the piece of armor out and roars.

So far the dragon had ripped off his helmet and part of his armor. If this kept up, it should think about buying him dinner! - 1AC

Once again, the dragon tries to lever itself out of the rubble and it sends several blocks tumbling as it does so. With the wyrm distracted from its own defense, Thordek lunges forward and chops at the dragon. Once again, his axe strikes true and sinks into the base of the dragon’s neck. Hot dragon blood pours from the wound, leaving a deep gash. Thordek thinks he feels the dragon catches on the dragon’s vertebrae. A little harder, he might have accomplished something.

The dragon rolls a confirmed critical, striking Thordek for 20 HP after damage reduction. Thordek’s armor has accumulated -1 damage as well.

Thordek’s attack of opportunity inflicts 13 HP on the dragon, and it is reeling now. It is now standing, and has one left free to strike. The other is bound by Sable's whip for now although that would not impede it rising.

Eoin: Keeping his distance, Eoin sends another blast of energy towards the dragon. He aims for its head and misses low, hitting right below in the neck again. This bolt sizzles and explodes in a ball of crackling white fire and the dragon screams from the wound. Blood runs from the wound, its flesh torn open, and blood drips rapidly from wound, forming a pool beneath it and even Thordek is caught in the spray of blood.

Johannes: Firing another flight of arrows, Johannes sticks two arrows in the back of the dragon’s beck to no effect, but it drives the third arrow is driven into the base of the dragon’s neck, right behind its bony skull. This one sinks deep, finally! The dragon stiffens and more blood oozes from wound, and it whips its neck around in pain. The wound hurts it badly, and Johannes rejoices, but the damn thing refuses to go down!

The arrow does 15 HP damage to the dragon, but the acid itself is harmless.

Sable: Wounded and her contribution made, Sable pulls back and reaches for a potion to keep her on her feet. With her wounds, one more blow could have easily killed her and she was not about to take that chance.

thorgrim29
2012-09-05, 12:41 AM
Thordrek

AC: 26 (or is that 25?, not clear on that)
resist cold 10

Once again, Thordrek escapes the dragon's maw alive, but this time severely wounded. he spits blood and phlegm at the dragon's feet. Normally, he would consider retreating at this point, but he feel that letting the thing have a go at Sable again would be poor repayment of her help so far. He decides to tough it out, whatever happens.

He is breathing heavily, and each deep inspiration hurts as his crushed armor presses against his wounds. Still, he keeps the taunts coming, better him then the others.

Told you dear, I am NOT INTERRESTED

He punctuates the last two words with attacks

to hit 1 [roll0] +14
damage 1 [roll1] +5

to hit 2 [roll2] +9
damage 2 [roll3] +5

mshady
2012-09-05, 12:59 AM
OOC: It's AC25.

Toliudar
2012-09-05, 01:02 AM
Johannes

Johannes hikes an eyebrow briefly as the battle continues to reveal more and more of Thordrek. He risks drawing some additional attention to himself by calling out.

"Ah, Thordrek, your lips say no, but your axe says yes."

Heartened by the belated success of his last flight of arrows, Johannes sends another trio arcing towards the dragon.

All arrows count as magic.
Arrow 1 Attack [roll0] Damage: [roll1]
Arrow 2 Attack [roll2] Damage: [roll3]
Arrow 3 Attack [roll4] Damage: [roll5]

mshady
2012-09-05, 01:47 AM
"...and down goes Frasier!"

Thordrek

Once again, Thordrek escapes the dragon's maw alive, but this time severely wounded. he spits blood and phlegm at the dragon's feet. Normally, he would consider retreating at this point, but he feel that letting the thing have a go at Sable again would be poor repayment of her help so far. He decides to tough it out, whatever happens.

He is breathing heavily, and each deep inspiration hurts as his crushed armor presses against his wounds. Still, he keeps the taunts coming, better him then the others.

“Told you dear, I am NOT INTERRESTED!”

He punctuates the last two words with attacks. The first blow is all that is needed though, as his heavy steel waraxe chops deeply into the dragon’s neck. He strikes in the same place as the last blow to its throat, and this time the axe tears open the dragon throat and cuts through the tough flesh, through its trachea and continued through the other side. With the blow, he cut through one of the dragon’s jugular arteries as well.

There is a spray of blood from the passage of the axe, and blast of frothy blood as the fluid pours into the dragon. The beast tries to roar, but it comes out as a loud gurgle and a wet rumble. Xurdotter flails about, its throat chopped wide open in a definitively mortal wound and collapses back into the rubble. It tries to rise again, blood pouring from the wound and washing over the dragon’s front.

Thordek motions for everyone else to step back from the dragon, unsure of what would happen during its death throes. It convulses and rolls, sending stone tumbling around it. It tries to roar again and rise, several times even, but each attempt is weaker than the next. The dragon claws forward, trying to drag its way out of the rubble before finally becoming still. Half buried in the rubble still, the dragon finally stops moving. Its heart continues to pump for another full minute as the last of its blood pumps from the wound in its throat, forming a pond of blood around its throat.

Standing by the dragon, the group looks at the fallen dragon. Further back, the remaining slaves watch it as well. They’re in hurry to approach the thing either.

Regarding the dragon, Sable walks over to it and squats near its head. She holds a hand out near the dragon’s snout and sees if she notices any last, faint breath. Sable sits quietly by it for the better part of a minute, than looks at Thordrek.

“Well, I do believe it’s dead” she says and stands abruptly. Then she delivers a sharp kick right to the side of the dragon’s skull with her steel tipped boot, and wet thump can be heard.

"That's for Bundok" she says quietly. Sable straightens the tunic covering her armor for a moment, stiffens and walks towards Thordrek.

"Lets go find where the other one went" she tells Thordrek and points towards the stone bridge over the river they had crossed to get here.

She turns and casts a suspicious look at the massive stairwell behind them by about a 100 feet that would appear to lead to the surface amd bites her lip.

"I need to see Carmard" Sable says grimly. She touches her throat for a moment and swallows, and looks decidedly pale for a long moment.

thorgrim29
2012-09-05, 09:48 AM
Thordrek

NOw that the fight is done, Thordrek sits down wearily, drinking potion after potion until he only feels shockingly tired and weary.

(I have 3 CMW and 6 CLW potions, I'll roll for all of them and consider he stops taking them when within 5 points of full HP)

CMW 1 [roll0] +3 OR 11
CMW 2 [roll1] +3 OR 11
CMW 3 [roll2] +3 OR 11
CLW 1 [roll3] +1 OR 5
CLW 2 [roll4] +1 OR 5
CLW 3 [roll5] +1 OR 5
CLW 4 [roll6] +1 OR 5
CLW 5 [roll7] +1 OR 5
CLW 6 [roll8] +1 OR 5

Once that's done, he forces himself up, retrieves his axe, helmet, and the bits of armor the dragon forced off. Then, he goes through the rubble to find the harpoons and immovable rods. If he finds Bundok's corpse, he goes through his pack for anything useful in getting away or something to give to his family, and arranges his corpse with as much dignity as possible.

We're sending you out with a bang my friend

mshady
2012-09-05, 09:32 PM
End Of Line