PDA

View Full Version : Request: LA +1 Half-Drow

NeoSeraphi
2012-04-11, 05:00 PM
Half Drow

Type/Subtype: Half-drow are humanoids with the (Elf) subtype.
Size and Speed: Half-drow are Medium creatures. They have no penalties or bonuses associated with size. Half-drow move at a speed of 30 feet.
Racial Bonuses: +2 Int, +2 Cha- Half-drow are as forceful and seductive as their drow parents, and share their natural ingenuity, though they lack the grace of most elves.
Racial Resistance: Half-drow receive a +4 racial bonus to their saving throws against spells and spell-like abilities, as well as a +4 racial bonus to their touch AC against spells. Half-drow are not nearly as resistant to spellcasting as their drow parents, but they are still harder to affect than most creatures.
Vision: Half-drow have darkvision out to 60 feet.
Adaptation: As half-humans, half-drow are naturally more adept at a variety of talents. A half-drow receives 4 additional skill points at 1st level, and 1 extra skill point at each level after that.
Racial Skill Bonuses: Half-drow receive a +2 racial bonus to their Bluff, Intimidate, and Listen checks.
Power of the Shadows: A half-drow is able to cast darkness, as the spell, as a spell-like ability once per day, with a caster level equal to her character level. If the half-drow is at least 10th level, she may instead choose to cast deeper darkness when she uses this ability. (She gets one daily spell-like ability, chosen when she casts as to whether it is darkness or deeper darkness).
Light Sensitivity: Half-drow take a -1 penalty to attack rolls and Spot and Search checks while in broad daylight.
Racial Heritage: A half-drow is considered both a human and a drow for all purposes, including racial feats, racial prestige classes, and magic items. For example, a half-drow could take both the Able Learner feat and the Highborn Drow feat.
Automatic Languages: Common and Undercommon.
Bonus Languages: Any
Favored Class: Any
Level Adjustment: +1

Improved Racial Resilience
Prerequisites: Half-Drow, Base Fort Save +1, Base Will Save +1, Base Reflex Save +1, 6 HD
Benefits: Whenever you succeed a saving throw against a spell or spell-like ability that deals half damage or inflicts a partial effect on a successful save, you instead take no effect. (For example, succeeding a Will save against a harm spell would leave you completely unscathed, rather than taking half damage, while succeeding a Fortitude save against the cloudkill spell would also leave you unscathed, instead of taking one-half of 1d4 points of Constitution damage).

Solaris
2012-04-11, 06:42 PM
I'd take off the -2 Constitution. CON penalty and level adjustment hurts a lot, more than its abilities really compensate for.

NeoSeraphi
2012-04-11, 10:20 PM
I'd take off the -2 Constitution. CON penalty and level adjustment hurts a lot, more than its abilities really compensate for.

That seems like a seriously powerful template though, for LA +1. I mean, +4 stats and no penalty, with all this other stuff? Then the only problem is the +1 LA and the Light Blindness.

I'll wait and get some other opinions before I change it. If some other people say that they think it would still be balanced without the Con penalty, then okay.

Solaris
2012-04-11, 11:10 PM
That seems like a seriously powerful template though, for LA +1. I mean, +4 stats and no penalty, with all this other stuff? Then the only problem is the +1 LA and the Light Blindness.

I'll wait and get some other opinions before I change it. If some other people say that they think it would still be balanced without the Con penalty, then okay.

Aasimar have +4 stats and no penalty. They also have no drawbacks at all besides a +1 LA.

NeoSeraphi
2012-04-11, 11:11 PM
Aasimar have +4 stats and no penalty. They also have no drawbacks at all besides a +1 LA.

Hmmm...that's true. Okay then. Removing the Constitution penalty.

RoyVG
2012-04-12, 04:18 AM
Seems pretty decent, but that feat is like Evasion AND Mettle combined, and with a +4 Racial on all saves against Spells and SLAs. Divine Grace, and Profession(U can't touch this) and you're done. I feel that it is a liiiiiittle too strong, maybe reduce it to only 1 save, but that is just my opinion.

Otherwise, pretty good.

Solaris
2012-04-12, 05:12 AM
Or at least increase the requisites so you can't take it at first level. Maybe available about sixth level?

Veklim
2012-04-12, 05:32 AM
+1 to the 6th level thing for the feat. In and of itself, the feat is really nice, but as a starting feat is definitely OP. There are a fair few character level 6th feats out there which are far worse though.

Glad to see the Con penalty gone too, this is now an affordable Drow for PCs at lower levels, I approve sir!

NeoSeraphi
2012-04-12, 09:20 AM
Seems pretty decent, but that feat is like Evasion AND Mettle combined, and with a +4 Racial on all saves against Spells and SLAs. Divine Grace, and Profession(U can't touch this) and you're done. I feel that it is a liiiiiittle too strong, maybe reduce it to only 1 save, but that is just my opinion.

Otherwise, pretty good.

It's not nearly as good as Evasion, actually, since it doesn't not apply to a primary source of RefHalf damage (breath weapons). Off the top of my head, I can't think of any special attacks that allow a Fort or Will partial, but it wouldn't affect those either, since it's spell-only.

I am pushing it back to 6th, though.