PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Cohort for Hire?

aphoticConniver
2012-04-11, 05:17 PM
Alright, the situation is my character is a CN Druid 10/Warshaper 1. At 12th level, with DM permission, I would like to take Leadership, to take advantage of a 16 CHA that does relatively little at the moment. Our party consists of a NE Ex-Paladin 10/Blackguard 1, a NG Rogue 10/Shadowdancer 1, and a NG Cleric 10/Radiant Servant of Pelor 1. What would a good choice of class for our cohort be?

Also, I read into the feat and it just confuses the hell out of me. I know you get a cohort and such, but what are the exact benefits?

Feralventas
2012-04-11, 05:54 PM
Okay, so you know that chart that has Followers listed by it?

You get that many people according to your leadership score. They show up, are impressed, or have heard of you and want to help out. They're not all that powerful on their own, but they can still be of use and contribute in their own way.

You also get a Cohort, who is someone that's nearly as powerful as you (if your leadership score is reasonably high, but never more than your ECL-2)

As you gain levels and other atributes that raise your Leadership score, you gain more followers. Your cohort will pretty much level with you if you maintain your leadership score.

Namfuak
2012-04-11, 06:01 PM
It looks like you are lacking in arcane power, so a bard would be a nice choice, just build him so that he is focused on buffing.

As for the feat itself, here is how it works:

You have two leadership scores, one is for your cohort and one is for your followers. Both have a base leadership score of Character Level+CHA, which for you is 15. Add or subtract any bonuses or penalties to each one as indicated on the two tables, keeping in mind that bonuses and penalties are separate (so getting a follower killed does not influence your ability to take a cohort, and having an animal companion does not affect the number of followers you can have). From there, look at the table to figure out how many followers you get based on your follower leadership score, and your cohort's maximum level based on your leadership score. Keep in mind that your cohort can not have an ECL higher than your ECL -2 (note it says character level, so I'm assuming it means ECL), even if your leadership score would allow you to have a cohort that is higher level than that. There is no such restriction for followers; you can have as many as your adjusted leadership score will allow.

I'm assuming you can figure out how the cohort leveling works, since it is listed pretty explicitly.

aphoticConniver
2012-04-11, 06:03 PM
Ok, so let me see if this makes sense.

12 (Character Level) + 3 (CHA Modifier) - 2 (Animal Companion) + 2 (Our group has a stronghold.) = 13 Cohort Score and a 17 Follower Score.

So I would be allowed to recruit a 9th level cohort, as well as the minions for various uses.

Is this correct? Also, what would be a suggested class for the cohort, depending on our party makeup?

Starbuck_II
2012-04-11, 06:10 PM
Ok, so let me see if this makes sense.

12 (Character Level) + 3 (CHA Modifier) - 2 (Animal Companion) + 2 (Our group has a stronghold.) = 15

So I would be allowed to recruit a 10th level cohort, as well as the minions for various uses.

Is this correct? Also, what would be a suggested class for the cohort, depending on our party makeup?

Yeah, 10th level since you are 12th level.
I say Bard, Dragon Shaman, or a fellow Druid (he gets an animal companion too). Bardor DS both buff party with their auras (well inspire courage is like an aura). Druids are Jacks of All trades so always useful.

aphoticConniver
2012-04-11, 06:20 PM
Yeah, 10th level since you are 12th level.
I say Bard, Dragon Shaman, or a fellow Druid (he gets an animal companion too). Bardor DS both buff party with their auras (well inspire courage is like an aura). Druids are Jacks of All trades so always useful.

I enjoy the Bard idea. But a question, and this is a bit off-topic: if I use most of the Bard's WBL, could I feasibly make an "electric" guitar with magic strings, that replicated 0-level damage spells? Or would that be A) Too expensive, or B) Too far out there.

Namfuak
2012-04-11, 06:41 PM
I enjoy the Bard idea. But a question, and this is a bit off-topic: if I use most of the Bard's WBL, could I feasibly make an "electric" guitar with magic strings, that replicated 0-level damage spells? Or would that be A) Too expensive, or B) Too far out there.

You are getting into DM ruling territory here. WBL and stats for cohorts is something that has to be decided by the DM. Some DMs may allow you to start your cohort with full WBL for his level, and others might give him less than that or have him in mundane gear and let you deck him out out of pocket. As for stats, he can let you use the point-buy/roll system you used for characters, use a weaker point-buy/roll system, or have you use the elite/non-elite array (if he makes you use the normal 10s and 11s array, don't bother with the feat).

As for your score, you are correct, although I would probably argue that unless you are playing in a high-power world, a 12th level character is going to be considered to have a "special power," allowing the cohort to be 10th level. Also, you may have "Great Renown," again YMMV.

In terms of followers, you actually in theory have to attract them in some way, so you should probably make a plan with your DM on how that will work in terms of story.

EDIT: That electric guitar with 0-level spells from the strings is an awesome idea though, you should definitely run it by your DM and maybe ask the homebrew forum about making it.

Toy Killer
2012-04-11, 06:59 PM
I had a gnome bard with a ukulele, and Craft:wondrous. I asked the DM if I could make a wondrous item that would allow me to burn Bardic Music uses in return for increasing my charisma for as long as my Bardic music was still under effect. It was a horrible idea, in hindsight, but was allowed... so I made a Magic Amp for his Ukelele. it could only use 11 uses of Bardic music at a time.

Yes, it goes to 11 :smallcool:

anyway, we priced it as if it would increase my Charisma for a brief while, with a few discounts on the basis that it was only work with Bards, used up Bardic music, etc. It came out pretty reasonably priced for how little I actually used it.

point is, magic items should be priced based of what they do, not what spells 'power' it.

Starbuck_II
2012-04-11, 07:00 PM

Are you speaking at will or 2/day each spell?
That matters pricing wise.
But, very doable.

Complete Arcane/Magic Item Compendruim has a few: pg 148 (MIC 161), 1/day 4 0th level spells. In addition, boosts some Bard music abilities.

The Chime of Harmonic Agony (3K) in Magic Item Compendruim, lets you spend a Bard use for 3d6 + Cha Sonic damage. Reflavor as a Electric Guitar.