PDA

View Full Version : Religious Adept//Spirit Lion Barbarian

Larkas
2012-04-11, 08:00 PM
I'm thinking of making a spellcaster and, following Jaronk's tiers and house rule options (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=658), have decided to make a Religious Adept//Spirit Lion Barbarian gestalt.

The advantages are obvious. Being a divine spellcaster, the character wouldn't suffer from using the Barbarian's medium armor. Likewise, the Barbarian complements the Adept by having good Fort saves. The d12 hit dice is great, and the full BAB is a nice bonus for someone who can't cast Divine Power.

Really, an Adept//Warrior could already make a nice PC class in and of itself, maybe with too few class features; a Religious Adept//Spirit Lion Barbarian is great enough to boost the character straight to T3. I'm not sure about which domain to choose for the Religious Adept half, though. Travel seems like an all around good choice, both for the domain power and spells. Knowledge might be a nice one too, since Knowledge Devotion is so good, but the spells are quite crappy, and I don't really know if insight bonuses apply when you're raging. Strength, while crappy for a Cleric, can be good for this character, since Enlarge Person, Magic Vestment and Righteous Might are not usually in its spell list, not to mention it also being flavorful, but the domain power is still not great.

On the martial part of the build, I'm not dead set on Barbarian, but I think ToB classes would make this too powerful for the DM's taste, and going Fighter makes me lose more (d12 HD, Pounce, Rage, Uncanny Dodge, skill points, et al) than I would gain (heavy armor, bonus feats, combat casting for the lack of rage). Furthermore, I haven't thought of PrCs yet, specially because I don't really know if there are tiers for those, so I'll ignore them for now.

Anyways, what do you think? Am I missing any other options?

PS: If this campaign turns into Tier 3/4, would a Religious Adept//Fighter be balanced enough?

Gavinfoxx
2012-04-11, 08:01 PM
Use Transformation as your domain!!

Roguenewb
2012-04-11, 08:06 PM
How about Spell Domain? Use Anyspell to get some solid day-by-day versatility

Larkas
2012-04-11, 10:06 PM
Use Transformation as your domain!!

Not a great option. Adepts already have Polymorph in their spell list, and at a lower level than this domain's. Enlarge Person and Alter Self are nice, but not worth a domain over it, specially when you can get them using other domains.

How about Spell Domain? Use Anyspell to get some solid day-by-day versatility

Indeed, that versatility is good, and Spellcraft and Concentration bonuses are just nice. Mage Armor, though, is not really usable and I don't know what Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer does (is it even in the Spell Compendium? I'm shuffling pages here and just can't find it!). Silence and Break Enchantment are good enough, I guess. I just wish Adepts had access to 6th level spells, Greater Anyspell would be awesome :/ AFAIK, it is subject to ACF, unfortunately. The regular version lets me duplicate Enlarge Person and Alter Self, though, which, while it doesn't replace Strength entirely, since this has access to the former in earlier levels and Magic Vestment at 3rd, comes very close to it.

EDIT: On a side note, is there anyway to move along with my familiar short of mounting on it? It would be awesome to share Polymorph and Righteous Might with it, but that wouldn't work with Polymorph>Righteous Might>Pounce, since I would presumably be moving more than 5 feet away from it.

Gavinfoxx
2012-04-11, 10:08 PM
Hey, Flight, Burrowing, a Swim Speed, 8 points of natural armor... all at level 3, for 10 minutes / level, is nothing to sneeze at...

Larkas
2012-04-11, 10:17 PM
Hey, Flight, Burrowing, a Swim Speed, 8 points of natural armor... all at level 3, for 10 minutes / level, is nothing to sneeze at...

4th level, actually. It isn't bad at all. I just don't think that taking a domain just for Alter Self is worth it.

Gavinfoxx
2012-04-11, 10:18 PM
Oh right. Adepts are slower at that. Duh. Thought the extra caster level of the domain helped. Brain fart there.

Prime32
2012-04-12, 07:09 AM
Maybe Sentinel of Bharrai (BoED) on the adept side? You are a HOLY BEAR.

Larkas
2012-04-12, 07:32 AM
Oh right. Adepts are slower at that. Duh. Thought the extra caster level of the domain helped. Brain fart there.

No worries :smallsmile:

Maybe Sentinel of Bharrai (BoED) on the adept side? You are a HOLY BEAR.

Better yet, a HOLY RAGING BEAR! I wonder if Sentinel of Bharrai//Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian is too strong :smallamused:

While reading through the class, I've noticed that you can SPEAK while in bear form! That might mean you don't even need Natural Spell if the DM agrees that a bear can gesture the somatic part of the spell! Neat!

I just have to check with the DM to see if he's okay with this gestalt. It's a great option! You can always get other forms as needed with the Polymorph spell, anyways.