PDA

View Full Version : Inner planar summoning

Sampi
2012-04-12, 03:38 AM
Hi,

I'm running a magic-heavy game, and encourage my players to invent new spells for themselves. Some of them have taken this to heart and created some nasty and/or interesting spells. One of them is a close-to-nature type of character, and he wanted a summoning spell to call elemental subtype creatures to do his bidding, instead of the magical menagerie that Summon Monster does. It's called Inner Planar Summoning.

I'm all for it. However, I need some help to decide what kind of creatures the man can summon with the lower end of this spell. I need one kind of creature with each elemental subtype for each tier of the spell. So far I have:

I: ??
II: Small elemental
III: ? (Azer or Thoqqua on fire)
IV: Mephit / Medium elmental
V-IX: Not really an issue at these levels.

So if anybody has suggestions on where to find Elemental plane monsters of CR2 or equivalent or of below CR 1, I'd be very happy. Especially the Summon I monsters would be important. Also extra monsters of CR1 would be fun to bulk out the second tier with things other than basic elementals.

As of now, I'm winging it, and bringing out something called elemental motes, which are Tiny, have 4 HP, can do 1d4 typed damage and have special abilities based on the plane of summons. Fire burns, Air flies and makes gentle breezes, Earth burrows and Water can both douse fires and freeze water.

All input is appreciated. All splatbooks allowed.

Steward
2012-04-12, 11:04 AM
As of now, I'm winging it, and bringing out something called elemental motes, which are Tiny, have 4 HP, can do 1d4 typed damage and have special abilities based on the plane of summons. Fire burns, Air flies and makes gentle breezes, Earth burrows and Water can both douse fires and freeze water.

That reminds me of the Elementite Swarms from the Planar Handbook, which are basically infant elementals. They pretty much have the same powers you just described actually!

Some good low-level elementals include Dust twisters, fire bats, magma hurlers , magmins, and walking walls. The first four are CR 3 while the walking walls are CR 4 though. If you want CR 2 or below, your best bet are the ones with the word "elemental" in their names -- apart from the ones you listed, check out storm elementals (from Monster Manual 3), stone spikes (from Monster Manual 2), and shadow elementals -- evil-only -- from Tome of Magic.

bloodtide
2012-04-12, 05:08 PM
So if anybody has suggestions on where to find Elemental plane monsters of CR2 or equivalent or of below CR 1, I'd be very happy. Especially the Summon I monsters would be important. Also extra monsters of CR1 would be fun to bulk out the second tier with things other than basic elementals.

*Complete Psionic has the Elemental Stewards, CR 2 monsters for each basic element.

*Complete Arcane has the Elemental Grues, CR 2 monsters for each basic element.

In Planescape they called them Fundamentals(get it? ha, ha)

Sampi
2012-04-13, 01:59 AM
Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for! I'll check out those sources as soon as I get my hands on them.

Ashtagon
2012-04-13, 05:45 AM
http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Elemental_Creature_%283.5e_Template%29

No idea how balanced this is.

Sampi
2012-04-13, 07:10 AM
http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Elemental_Creature_%283.5e_Template%29

No idea how balanced this is.
Interesting. Easy way to gain ridonkulous speeds, apparently. (100' fly, perfect?)

Seems to be designed for midlevel creatures, so won't help me at this time. Thanks anyway.

Ashtagon
2012-04-13, 07:42 AM
Manual of the Planes (3.0e, but an update to 3.5e is available to download) has half-elemental creature templates, as well as element creature templates. Both of these are essentially the same role as that other one I linked to.