PDA

View Full Version : Faction Human Sub-Races (Divergent, 3.5 Race, PEACH)

NeoSeraphi
2012-04-12, 11:45 AM
I don't know if anyone has read the book Divergent, by Veronica Roth, but I have and it's really fascinating to me, so I decided to make some sub-races of humans based on the five factions presented in the book.

The following sub-races are all Medium humanoids with the (human) subtype, have a land speed of 30 feet, have the automatic language Common and the Bonus Languages: Any, as well as Favored Class: Any. The Level Adjustment for all of these sub-races is +0. All other racial traits of humans (bonus feats, bonus skill points) are replaced by the traits described below.

Abnegation
The Abnegation faction was formed by a group of humans who believed that human selfishness was the main cause of the problems in the world. Abnegations wear gray clothes and avoid mirrors, as well as any other conveniences of pleasantries. They share responsibility at home and give generously to those in need. Abnegations believe that the key to peace and harmony is the negation of the self and preserving the interest of the community as a whole, making them well-suited for careers as political leaders.
+2 Con, -2 Cha- Living the harsh life of negation and suffering has strengthened an Abnegation's natural resilience to hunger and fatigue. However, Abnegations are naturally quiet and reserved, often regarded as "weird" by the other groups.
Vow of Charity: An Abnegation's removal of selfishness is only half of his goal. The other half is to give generously to others and help those less fortunate. Whenever an Abnegation gives an object or coin of at least 1 gp to another person (with no intention of ever getting that object back), the Abnegation receives a +1 morale bonus to all attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, ability checks, and opposed checks for 1 hour. This ability does not stack with itself (though it does reset the duration).
Vow of Selflessness: An Abnegation who breaks his code of selflessness by allowing himself to possess something glorious is often at odds with himself, and the guilt gnaws at him. While an Abnegation is in possession of a magic item(s) worth at least 2000 gp, the Abnegation takes a -3 morale penalty to all d20 rolls. This can be reduced to -2 while the bonus from Vow of Charity is active.
Vow of Poverty: An Abnegation's resolve is so strong that it protects him, to the point where he can resist deadly blows as if he was wearing extravagant armor. While an Abnegation is wearing a gray robe or some other colorless, non-magical clothing, he receives a racial bonus to his Armor Class equal to one-half his character level, rounded down, with a minimum of +4. This bonus applies to touch attacks and when the Abnegation is flat-footed or helpless, but is lost when the Abnegation is unconscious or when he receives an armor bonus to his AC of +1 or higher (such as from a bracers of armor or the mage armor spell).

Candor
The Candor faction was formed by a group of humans who believed that human dishonesty was the main cause of all the problems in the world. Candor members are trained to say what is on their mind, because they believe that keeping thoughts to yourself is another form of dishonesty. As a result, Candor are extremely chatty, to the point where they can sometimes get on other factions' nerves, but you can always trust a Candor to tell you the truth. As such, Candor are well-suited to careers in crime investigation and law.
+2 Wis, -2 Cha:- The Candor's extensive understanding of human behavior has left them extremely perceptive, but their brutal honesty has a tendency to offend others.
Vow of Honesty:- A Candor is not incapable of lying, but he has been so conditioned to telling the truth that even if he attempts to lie, he has to learn how first. A Candor treats the Bluff skill as a Trained Only skill, and cannot make Bluff checks without ranks in the Bluff skill. (This does not mean automatic failure. It means your character actually is physically incapable of attempting to give someone else information he believes to be false without at least one rank in the Bluff skill). Additionally, Bluff is never treated as a class skill for Candor characters, even sorcerers, bards or rogues treat Bluff as a cross-class skill.
Seeker of the Truth: A Candor knows when others are lying. Candor characters always treat Sense Motive as a class skill, and receive a racial bonus to Sense Motive checks equal to their character level. Additionally, when a Candor succeeds a Sense Motive check that opposed a Bluff check, he can make a Wisdom check (DC 10+(the creature's CR-the Candor's character level)), and if he succeeds, he identifies that creature's "tell", the sign that creature gives when it is lying. A Candor receives a +5 insight bonus to Sense Motive checks made against a creature when he knows their tell (either he sees them using it and knows they're lying, or notes its absence and is able to sense truth in their argument).

Amity
The Amity faction was formed by a group of humans who believed that the main cause of the problems of the world was simply humanity's tendency to result to violence as a solution to its problems. The Amity faction prefers to express themselves through art and joy, instead of anger and aggression. Amity members find jobs as poets and musicians, as well as farmers.
+2 Cha, -2 Str- An Amity member is often unsure of his own strength, and rarely understands how to use his muscles to their fullest extent, hindering their melee attacks and other aggressive actions like grappling. However, their carefree natures and gentle smiles make them fun to be around.
Vow of Peace: An Amity member receives the Vow of Nonviolence and Vow of Peace feats (BoED) as bonus feats. He need not meet the prerequisites. Unlike the normal feat, an Amity member may recover his Vows if he properly atones, generally by allowing the creature he harmed a free shot at him and then asking a cleric to grant him an atonement spell.
Charming Smile: An Amity receives a +2 racial bonus to Diplomacy and Perform checks, and a -2 racial bonus to Intimidate checks.

Erudite
The Erudite faction was formed by a group of humans who believed that humanity's ignorance was the main cause of all the problems in the world. Erudites devote their time to the pursuit of knowledge and are constantly clamoring to discover things they don't know. Erudite make fantastic researchers, scholars, teachers and professors.
+2 Int, -2 Dex:- Erudites are incredibly intelligent and can pick up a variety of skills with little effort, however, their constant pursuit of knowledge has resulted in a serious lack of grace and mobility.
Gifted Scholar: The Erudites are genuinely intelligent, and rarely don't have an answer to a question you ask. An Erudite treats all Knowledge skills as class skills and receives a +3 racial bonus to any Knowledge skill that he has at least 1 rank in.
Masters of Lore: An Erudite can collect random information better than any other bard. An Erudite who has a Lore class feature (such as a bard or a loremaster or a cloistered cleric) receives a +2 racial bonus to all Lore checks.
Uncoordinated: The Erudites are not gifted athletes. Erudites receive a -2 racial penalty to all Strength and Dexterity-based skill checks.

Dauntless
The Dauntless faction was created by a group of humans who thought that humanity's cowardice was the main cause of the world's problems. The Dauntless see themselves as warriors who live for their own enjoyment, performing daring acts in order to prove their bravery and train their bodies. Dauntless are well-suited to careers as guards or soldiers.
+2 Str, -2 Wis: Dauntless are incredibly athletic and powerfully built, but they tend to perform acts that most people would not refer to as "sane".
Fearless: A Dauntless is not magically immune to fear or anything like that, but when you've leaped off a hundred story building plummeting towards the ground, a dragon really doesn't seem that scary to you anymore. Dauntless receive a +2 racial bonus on all saving throws versus fear. This bonus increases to +4 if the Dauntless's Base Will save from his class levels equals or exceeds +4.
Natural Athlete: A Dauntless receives a +2 racial bonus on all Strength-based skill checks and opposed Strength checks (grapple, trip, etc).
Open-Minded: In a Dauntless's life, everything goes. Dauntless are trained to have no mercy, no inhibitions, and most of all, to never say "no". However, this leaves them incredibly susceptible to outside influence. A Dauntless takes a -2 racial penalty to all saving throws against mind-affecting spells and effects, unless they also have the [fear] descriptor.

NeoSeraphi
2012-04-13, 09:22 AM
No one has anything to say? I thought that these were an interesting alternative to the standard human without losing too much power.

Phosphate
2012-04-13, 11:52 AM
Read the book, immediately fell in love with Candor, not so much with the main character for some reason.

Dunno why you gave constitution bonuses to abnegation. They were kind of the shortest in the books, and nothing suggested they would be tougher than others. Actually, if I were you I would give them a wisdom bonus, since altruism is the path of the wise.

Also, Erudites shouldn't have their dexterity penalized. Remember, before being taken out by Peter, Edward was the best at fighting (and Will was also close to the top). I would rather reduce their charisma, since they're so arrogant.

That's pretty much all. If you could also make the Divergent race, that would be really cool. Or make it like a template that allows you to mix 2 or 3 of the factions together.

NeoSeraphi
2012-04-14, 01:56 PM
Read the book, immediately fell in love with Candor, not so much with the main character for some reason.

Dunno why you gave constitution bonuses to abnegation. They were kind of the shortest in the books, and nothing suggested they would be tougher than others. Actually, if I were you I would give them a wisdom bonus, since altruism is the path of the wise.

There's no reason to give the same bonus to two different races. After all these guys are all comparing to each other. If I gave them +2 Wis, -2 Cha, it would make them too similar to the Candor.

Also, Erudites shouldn't have their dexterity penalized. Remember, before being taken out by Peter, Edward was the best at fighting (and Will was also close to the top). I would rather reduce their charisma, since they're so arrogant.

That would give me 3 races with a Charisma penalty, and also wouldn't be balanced in the slightest. Intelligence is one of the best ability scores in the game, and Charisma is the worst. Plus, most classes that need Intelligence (factotums, wizards, archivists) have Charisma as a dump stat. Dexterity is really the only score other than Constitution that I can safely penalize and still keep the race as an LA 0.

That's pretty much all. If you could also make the Divergent race, that would be really cool. Or make it like a template that allows you to mix 2 or 3 of the factions together.

Divergents don't really have any traits, other than

immunity to compulsion, which is really strong for a racial trait, so I don't see how I could really make them a sub-race. As for the template, it's not like Divergents were a mix of the group, just that they were too self-aware to be placed into so narrow a category.

If I had to make a Divergent, I would say the PHB human represents most everything about Divergents perfectly. Nothing particularly special or unique, but they are adaptable in their own way.

Phosphate
2012-04-14, 03:05 PM
There's no reason to give the same bonus to two different races. After all these guys are all comparing to each other. If I gave them +2 Wis, -2 Cha, it would make them too similar to the Candor.

Hmm, ok. Honestly I have no other idea of what stat you can penalize from them. Except maybe Dexterity cause they're quiet, peaceful, slow moving people - and I'd guess react slowly.

Intelligence is one of the best ability scores in the game, and Charisma is the worst. Plus, most classes that need Intelligence (factotums, wizards, archivists) have Charisma as a dump stat. Dexterity is really the only score other than Constitution that I can safely penalize and still keep the race as an LA 0.

Hm...I don't think your Erudites are top of the line LA 0's. I mean, they are good at knowledge, which is a nice perk sometimes, have a completely insignificant lore thingie and a decent physical penalty. I can safely say that Gray Elves, which also gain a racial bonus to Intelligence, are better than your Erudites while still being within the norms of LA 0.

By the way, a stat that would make sense to penalize from Erudites would be rather wisdom. Ala bit deranged scientist that does risky stuff in the NAME OF SCIENCE stereotype.

If I had to make a Divergent, I would say the PHB human represents most everything about Divergents perfectly. Nothing particularly special or unique, but they are adaptable in their own way.

Hm...that actually makes perfect sense. It also transforms into fridge horror if you think about it: so the Divergents are not special people, but the perfectly normal ones. It's the others that have been altered away from their nature. Good fluff.

NeoSeraphi
2012-04-14, 03:33 PM
Hmm, ok. Honestly I have no other idea of what stat you can penalize from them. Except maybe Dexterity cause they're quiet, peaceful, slow moving people - and I'd guess react slowly.

+2 Wis, -2 Dex? Nah. The Abnegations were not particularly perceptive. Sure, you may think that being generous to others over yourself is a wiser action, but that has nothing to do with being able to hear or see better, nor does it allow Abnegations to perceive other's actions better or have a stronger Will or comprehend medicine...basically everything the Wisdom score represents. Candors are much more perceptive than others because they have a tendency to pay attention to others. Abnegations, on the other hand, are a generous people, but they are usually quite introverted, leading to a general ignorance of the world.

Hm...I don't think your Erudites are top of the line LA 0's. I mean, they are good at knowledge, which is a nice perk sometimes, have a completely insignificant lore thingie and a decent physical penalty. I can safely say that Gray Elves, which also gain a racial bonus to Intelligence, are better than your Erudites while still being within the norms of LA 0.

By the way, a stat that would make sense to penalize from Erudites would be rather wisdom. Ala bit deranged scientist that does risky stuff in the NAME OF SCIENCE stereotype.

Gray elves get a penalty to the Constitution score, which hits them where it hurts, hit points, Fortitude saves, Concentration checks. Meanwhile, penalizing Wisdom wouldn't affect a wizard or a factotum in any way really.

If I'm going to give Erudites an Int bonus, I want them to take a penalty to a score that is not a dump stat for Wizards. So my options are Con and Dex. And Dex makes more sense and affects more things.

Hm...that actually makes perfect sense. It also transforms into fridge horror if you think about it: so the Divergents are not special people, but the perfectly normal ones. It's the others that have been altered away from their nature. Good fluff.

Yes. I think that's what Veronica Roth was getting at anyway. Choice is what influences us more than anything else.

Phosphate
2012-04-14, 04:13 PM
Strength penalty, actually (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elf.htm)

NeoSeraphi
2012-04-14, 04:16 PM
Strength penalty, actually (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elf.htm)

These traits are in addition to the high elf traits.

Emphasis not mine. Grey elves get -2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Con, +2 Int. They have two penalties. One of them is relevant to all classes, the other helps interfere with potential gish builds from elf wizards who want to get cute and actually use that free longsword proficiency.