PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Big Weapons

Zubrowka74
2012-04-12, 12:26 PM
What would be the biggest weapon a level 1 character could start with in Pathfinder core ? Is there even a monkey grip equivalent ?

APersonAmI
2012-04-12, 12:28 PM
What would be the biggest weapon a level 1 character could strat with in Pathfinder core ? Is there even a monkey grip equivalent ?

Half-Giant (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/races/half-giant) race (from Psionics Unleashed) means you can start with a weapon one size larger, no penalty. More expensive, thought.

Titan Mauler (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/archetypes/paizo---barbarian-archetypes/titan-mauler) archetype Barbarian does essentially the same thing, but at level 6. Massive Weapons is essentially Monkey Grip, but usable. Jotungrip is absolute crap, but the rest of the Titan Mauler ACF's range from ok to pretty good.

Stone Heart
2012-04-12, 04:52 PM
I think it should be pointed out that Titan Mauler does not work by RAW, but any sane gm will see the RAI and let you use it. Its just that the way they worded its abilities don't allow you to wield larger weapons, just reduces the penalty for the ones you could have. Effectively the biggest weapon you could use with it by RAW is a huge light weapon (because the handedness increases as size goes up), and the best one for that would come out to 2d6 damage and would need to be wielded with 2 hands. Sound a lot like a greatsword, doesn't it?

But again, unless your GM is a ridiculous stickler for RAW, then they will see the RAI and allow you to use it

Blyte
2012-04-12, 06:10 PM
lvl 1 druid, take the feat throw anything.

use a large sized club as an improvised great club, then cast shillelagh.

rock on.

Benly
2012-04-12, 11:11 PM
One of the options on the Variant Tiefling Abilities table is oversized limbs that allow you to use Large weapons without penalty. Unfortunately, you're supposed to roll for it, and it's one option on a 100-item list, but the possibility is technically there.

APersonAmI
2012-04-13, 01:19 AM
One of the options on the Variant Tiefling Abilities table is oversized limbs that allow you to use Large weapons without penalty. Unfortunately, you're supposed to roll for it, and it's one option on a 100-item list, but the possibility is technically there.

Oh god, the Variant Tiefling. Really, it's a way to fit out a character concept in detail and also make it workable for just about every class there is, so long a the feat drain isn't to massive.

And then they made the process random.

It, it... it just makes me angry. Especially since I've wanted to make a charisma-based Tiefling for ages, and the Kyton Variant would be perfect in every way...

Benly
2012-04-13, 08:38 AM
Oh god, the Variant Tiefling. Really, it's a way to fit out a character concept in detail and also make it workable for just about every class there is, so long a the feat drain isn't to massive.

And then they made the process random.

It, it... it just makes me angry. Especially since I've wanted to make a charisma-based Tiefling for ages, and the Kyton Variant would be perfect in every way...

The Variant Heritages table actually has an explicit option for the GM letting you choose. It's just the Variant Abilities table that's supposed to always be random, which is still pretty obnoxious, because it ranges from incredibly good (telepathy, partial fortification, at-will levitation, oversized weapons) to incredibly minor or essentially cosmetic (+2 bonus on saves vs. disease, free non-masterwork dagger once per day). You should probably always take the roll regardless, since 1/day darkness is pretty far at the low end of the possible range, but it's really not good design to make such a variable level of power reliant on a random roll in chargen.

APersonAmI
2012-04-13, 04:12 PM
The Variant Heritages table actually has an explicit option for the GM letting you choose. It's just the Variant Abilities table that's supposed to always be random, which is still pretty obnoxious, because it ranges from incredibly good (telepathy, partial fortification, at-will levitation, oversized weapons) to incredibly minor or essentially cosmetic (+2 bonus on saves vs. disease, free non-masterwork dagger once per day). You should probably always take the roll regardless, since 1/day darkness is pretty far at the low end of the possible range, but it's really not good design to make such a variable level of power reliant on a random roll in chargen.

Yeah, I know, my Heritage table has an option aimed at the GM to let me choose, the Variant Abilities does not. The thing is, I think this feat is just about the single greatest feat I have personally witnessed, opening up options for innumerable creative character concepts and ideas, both optimized and thematic, with tons of abilities pretty much unheard of for PC's (Small creature with Str Bonus? Paladin having conversations with her Demon dad once a week? See In Darkness, something pretty much only Darkness domain clerics get, at 1/2 their cleric level rounds per day?) and yeah, I can see that making it random was a way to "balance" that mess of abilities, but making it random also destroys the opportunity for deliberate character concepts. In short, it takes away from the opportunities that, in my opinion, makes that feat great.