PDA

View Full Version : 3.5: Of beasts and animals...

Dhx711
2012-04-12, 01:37 PM
I'm getting ready to bring a new druid character into an on going campaign and I'm pre-readying stats for potential wildshapes. I was reviewing the MMII for potentials and saw that there are a few creatures under the "Beast' sub type (dinosaurs, forest sloth, megalodon, rampager, razor boar, warbeast.)

Provided I qualify to take the shape (HD, size, etc...) is there any rule stopping me from using one of the creatures or does that fact that they are beasts and not animals stop me right there?

Gavinfoxx
2012-04-12, 01:40 PM
Beast is a depreciated subtype from D&D 3.0e. Remember, you are looking at a 3.0e book. It was removed when 3.5e came out. The animals within were either folded into Magical Beast or Animal.

Dhx711
2012-04-12, 02:00 PM
Wow never considered that the MMII is 3.0.

I guess looking at the description of the types would give me an answer.

Animal: An animal is a nonhumanoid creature, usually a vertebrate. All the animals included in this book lived on the planet Earth in historical times, or are larger versions of such creatures.

Beast: A beast is a nonhistorical, vertebrate creature with a reasonably normal anatomy and no magical or unusual abilities.

Does anyone know of an "official" ruling on these beasts fall in 3.5?

eggs
2012-04-12, 02:13 PM
The official ruling is that they're just not beasts anymore. If you want something more specific, the MM2 3.5 update is here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a).

Dhx711
2012-04-12, 02:33 PM
Thanks Eggs