PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about watching Xena and Hercules

pffh
2012-04-12, 05:17 PM
Right as the title says I am thinking about watching Xena and Hercules since well they look like fun sword, sandal and sorcery shows. Now I have never watched these shows before but I've heard that they are somewhat intertwined and am wondering if there is any specific order that is best to watch them in. Say for example should I watch the first season of Xena and then Hercules or up to episode X of one and then up to episode Y of the other and then switching back and forth at certain points.

Dr.Epic
2012-04-12, 07:17 PM
You could just go onto wikipedia, check when each episode premiered, and watch it in that order.

warty goblin
2012-04-12, 07:35 PM
It really doesn't matter. At least with Xena if you can't follow the plot you are probably braindead. This is OK because one doesn't watch Xena for plot. One watches Xena for homoerotic fishing.

Dr.Epic
2012-04-12, 07:40 PM
Anyone know if the episodes are on Hulu? I liked to give them a shot maybe.

Mewtarthio
2012-04-12, 07:44 PM
Anyone know if the episodes are on Hulu? I liked to give them a shot maybe.

Hulu's got all of Xena, but it doesn't seem to have Hercules for some reason.

Dr.Epic
2012-04-12, 07:46 PM
Hulu's got all of Xena, but it doesn't seem to have Hercules for some reason.

Odd. How 'bout Netflix?:smallconfused: They got shows I hear.

Mewtarthio
2012-04-12, 08:00 PM
Odd. How 'bout Netflix?:smallconfused: They got shows I hear.

Yep, both are available for instant streaming.

Dr.Epic
2012-04-12, 08:30 PM
Yep, both are available for instant streaming.

That's crazy! Now all I need is Netflix. Or to find out if any of my friends have Netflix.

Traab
2012-04-12, 09:31 PM
They are good series, you could always alternate episode by episode if you are worried. Because yes, there is some overlap from time to time. Not a lot, but it is there, and I dont recall if it had much in the way of spoilers. Xena got kind of odd towards the end iirc. Joxxur the Mighty will become your personal hero, i even stole his theme song for when i would roleplay in everquest online.

TheThan
2012-04-13, 01:28 AM
Just keep in mind that they are extremely corny and slapstick. So don't expect to watch something that's supposed to be serious. Just sit back, make some popcorn and have fun with it.

Devonix
2012-04-13, 05:05 AM
Also you have to watch the entire first season of Hercules before you watch Xena. In fact even knowing that there is a show called Xena is a bit of a spoiler .

Tirian
2012-04-13, 09:37 AM
This is OK because one doesn't watch Xena for plot. One watches Xena for homoerotic fishing.

One actually watches Xena to build up ones tolerance for third wave feminist camp. Once you're strong enough, you can safely experience the full awesomeness of Cleopatra 2525.

Traab
2012-04-13, 12:24 PM
One actually watches Xena to build up ones tolerance for third wave feminist camp. Once you're strong enough, you can safely experience the full awesomeness of Cleopatra 2525.

Oh god, I almost forgot about that show. You are a vile bastard for reminding me. Wasnt that some sort of matrix ripoff where robots are in control and people are hiding out underground or something?

Friv
2012-04-13, 12:46 PM

... the main character in Cleopatra 2525 was a stripper who got cryogenically frozen when her boob job went bad. I'm not sure there was anything feminist about that show.

I mean, as the first show I know of to have Gina Torres in it, it gets some points, and it was hilariously bad. But feminist?

Traab
2012-04-13, 01:39 PM
... the main character in Cleopatra 2525 was a stripper who got cryogenically frozen when her boob job went bad. I'm not sure there was anything feminist about that show.

I mean, as the first show I know of to have Gina Torres in it, it gets some points, and it was hilariously bad. But feminist?

Yeah but I think it turned into some sort of girl power fest as the trio of scantily clad ladies proceed to do all sorts of improbable things that revolve around being scantily clad and kicking all sorts of ass.

warty goblin
2012-04-13, 02:34 PM
Yeah but I think it turned into some sort of girl power fest as the trio of scantily clad ladies proceed to do all sorts of improbable things that revolve around being scantily clad and kicking all sorts of ass.

Ah, so nineties pulp feminism then. The best kind.

TheCountAlucard
2012-04-13, 05:28 PM
I'm fond of both shows, but the special effects really don't hold up in the 21st century.

Tirian
2012-04-13, 06:52 PM

Traab hit towards this, but yeah. The doctrine of third wave feminism is that women are powerful and in control of their sexuality, and a scantly dressed guerrilla strike force taking on the robot conquerors of Earth is right up that alley. The other exciting thing about third wave heroines is that they aren't obligated to be socially upright or even morally responsible, so you're doing things like replacing Wonder Woman with the Powerpuff Girls (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU7CuHR39CA). At the same time, it does take endurance to ignore the very real possibility that these women are exploiting themselves for our pleasure, but that was part of the fun of the age.

Cespenar
2012-04-13, 08:51 PM
Just keep in mind that they are extremely corny and slapstick. So don't expect to watch something that's supposed to be serious. Just sit back, make some popcorn and have fun with it.

Heh. I remember a Groundhog Day episode, where she resolves the whole deal simply with her chakram.

tyckspoon
2012-04-14, 12:35 AM
Heh. I remember a Groundhog Day episode, where she resolves the whole deal simply with her chakram.

Xena is *mostly* a bit more serious than Hercules, IIRC, although this may mostly be because Kevin Sorbo is a hammier actor than Lucy Lawless- Xena left a lot of the silliness to the supporting cast where Hercules let the lead character be kind of goofy (although with a supporting cast including characters like Joxxur and Xena's portrayal of Aphrodite they weren't too far behind.)

Nekura
2012-04-14, 02:23 AM
I used to watch both shows and enjoyed them. Don't remember why I stoped watching Hercules but IMO when Xena starts to add religon other then greek gods would be a good time to quit.

Cespenar
2012-04-14, 08:06 AM
Xena is *mostly* a bit more serious than Hercules, IIRC, although this may mostly be because Kevin Sorbo is a hammier actor than Lucy Lawless- Xena left a lot of the silliness to the supporting cast where Hercules let the lead character be kind of goofy (although with a supporting cast including characters like Joxxur and Xena's portrayal of Aphrodite they weren't too far behind.)

I had mostly watched Xena and only a bit of Hercules, but IIRC the goofiness factor in Xena steadily increased with each season.

Not that it was a bad thing.

Tiki Snakes
2012-04-15, 08:17 AM
Hercules was noticeably lighter in general, because it starts with the concept of an adventuring Hero, a thoroughly good guy going around righting wrongs.
Xena in comparison, starts from a slightly different and ever so slightly darker place, with the main character more being someone seeking redemption for past wrongs. The differences in tone kind of flow naturally from there.

But yeah. Kevin Sorbo is cheesy as all get out.

Traab
2012-04-15, 08:37 AM
I had mostly watched Xena and only a bit of Hercules, but IIRC the goofiness factor in Xena steadily increased with each season.

Not that it was a bad thing.

Yes, it really does get sillier as the seasons move on. Its not like they have entire silly seasons, its just that you start to see more silly episodes randomly pop up. But like Tiki said, Xena has darker overtones due to its backstory and the events that happen from time to time with reoccurring bad guys. Hercules is hilarious because instead of high flying fancy martial arts and weaponry combat, you got a guy punching the heck out of everything around him really, really, hard. And yeah, Nek, the mythology jumping in season 5 confused the hell out of me too. I think I actually stopped watching it for awhile.