PDA

View Full Version : Cam Studio Help

Forbiddenwar
2012-04-12, 07:33 PM
I'm trying to get Camstudio to work to do some lets plays, but I can't figure out how to record my silly voice AND the game sounds. Any advice/tips/tricks is appreciated.
Alternatively, if you don't use Camstudio, can you recommend another free video capture software?

Opperhapsen
2012-04-12, 08:37 PM
Could you not just do it seperately?

Start recording your voice with one piece of software, the game with another, and then merge?

Whoracle
2012-04-13, 02:51 AM
I do it with Fraps, which isn't free, and with Audacity for the voice recording.
My workflow should work with CamStudio, too. It's a bit long, but pretty straightforward.

- Start Audacity
- Start audio recording
- Start the game
- start video recording
- Do something audible in the video/game, like switching through the menu with the keyboard to generate distinctive sounds, and say "sync" or something with each keypress, so you can later sync up the audio with the video
- Play your game
- Extract the audio track from the finished video (Avidemux and VirtualDub can do this pretty easily)
- Import the audio from the game into the audacity project
- Sync the two tracks with the marks you did earlier
- Cut the voice audio to the length of the game audio track or less
- Export the whole shebang
- Import the new audio into the video
- Cut the video to your liking
- Export it
- Upload it somewhere

If you need help with any of the steps, PM me.

Forbiddenwar
2012-04-13, 09:53 AM
Wow. I didn't realize how much work is involved. I may have to rethink this.

Edit: Okay, did some rethinking. It might take me a while to learn all the various programs, but I do enjoy the challenge of it. I know a LP is far better with a voice AND game sounds.

Whoracle
2012-04-13, 10:17 AM
It's not that involved, really. It's a lot of steps, sure, but you only require a handful of clicks in each program, and it's worth the effort. Like I said, I'm willing to help iff the need arises.

Loki_42
2012-04-13, 10:11 PM
Huh, I don't do nearly so many steps. I just run Fraps and set it up to record external input from my webcams mic. I was worried that the sound quality would suck, but it turned out surprisingly good. I'm not going to say the more professional way isn't better, but you can do it cheaper and easier and it will work just fine.
Of course, all this still ends in me not knowing a thing about Camstudio and being unable to help you, but hey, what are you going to do?:smalltongue:

Forbiddenwar
2012-04-13, 10:57 PM
Huh, I don't do nearly so many steps. I just run Fraps and set it up to record external input from my webcams mic. I was worried that the sound quality would suck, but it turned out surprisingly good. I'm not going to say the more professional way isn't better, but you can do it cheaper and easier and it will work just fine.
Of course, all this still ends in me not knowing a thing about Camstudio and being unable to help you, but hey, what are you going to do?:smalltongue:

Hey, if Fraps means quicker and easier, then I might just buy it . . . when I can.

Whoracle
2012-04-14, 05:03 AM
Hmmm... he's right. As long as you do solo commentary and don't want to edit your voice track, his way'll be much less involved and still get you the results you want.

Loki_42
2012-04-14, 09:59 AM
I was even able to get decent results with multiple people, but that might just be a fluke.