PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) The Chessmaster, WIP, PEACH

dragonsamurai77
2012-04-12, 08:08 PM
http://images.wikia.com/megaman/images/5/5d/KingEXE.jpg

HD: d6
Skill Points: 4+Int/level, (4+Int)*4 at level 1
Class Skills:
Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Knowledge (all) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex)

NAME OF CLASS
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Army Points

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|Army|3

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|Tactics|7

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+3|Class Ability|13

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Battlefield Sight|21

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Class Ability|31

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+5|Class Ability|43

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+5|Class Ability|57

8th|
+6|
+2|
+6|
+6|Class Ability|73

9th|
+6|
+3|
+6|
+6|Class Ability|91

10th|
+7|
+3|
+7|
+7|Class Ability|111

11th|
+8|
+3|
+7|
+7|Class Ability|133

12th|
+9|
+4|
+8|
+8|Class Ability|157

13th|
+9|
+4|
+8|
+8|Class Ability|173

14th|
+10|
+4|
+9|
+9|Class Ability|201

15th|
+11|
+5|
+9|
+9|Class Ability|231

16th|
+12|
+5|
+10|
+10|Class Ability|263

17th|
+12|
+5|
+10|
+10|Class Ability|297

18th|
+13|
+6|
+11|
+11|Class Ability|333

19th|
+14|
+6|
+11|
+11|Class Ability|371

20th|
+15|
+6|
+12|
+12|Class Ability|411[/table]

The Chessmaster is proficient with all simple weapons and light armor, but not shields.

Army: A Chessmaster's most notable ability is his ability to summon an army of mindless pieces to do his bidding. At the beginning of an encounter, the Chessmaster automatically summons several pieces whose total cost is no greater than his Army Points. These pieces disappear at the end of the encounter. He can summon each piece into a square up to 5 feet away per class level.

Out of combat, he can summon one piece with total cost no greater than half his total point allowance, rounded down. It cannot use its SLAs, if it has any. This piece disappears when the Chessmaster enters combat.

As a swift action during his turn, the Chessmaster may mentally command one piece, enabling it to take up to a full action. Because it is a swift action, he can command but one piece a turn. However, he may take this swift action even if he would normally be prevented because of a previous immediate action. Pieces never take any actions unless commanded.

A Chessmaster begins play with access to the basic piece, and can create one additional type of piece per point of Intelligence modifier he has. Each type of piece created can cost no more than his total Army Point allowance. A Chessmaster can also create (Int modifier) new types of pieces each time he levels up, and also improve any number already-created pieces, up to his Army Point maximum per piece. When a Chessmaster improves a piece, he loses access to its old version. However, he always has access to the basic piece.

Tactics:
Starting at level 2, a Chessmaster can use advanced tactics to manipulate the battlefield to his advantage. At the beginning of an encounter, after summoning his army, he gains access to a pool of Tactic Points, equal to his class level plus his Intelligence modifier, which he can spend for various effects.

Battlefield Sight: Starting at level 4, a Chessmaster can, as a free action, look through the eyes of any of his pieces.

Pieces:
The basic piece is a Medium Construct with 1 HP and Armor Class equal to 10 plus its summoner's level plus its summoner's Intelligence modifier. It has Base Attack Bonus equal to 3/4 of its summoner's level, and a slam attack with a base damage of 1d6. It has 14 Strength, 10 Dexterity, no Constitution or Intelligence score, 10 Wisdom, and 1 Charisma, and moves 20 ft per round. All new pieces are originally built off of this base piece.

Piece Abilities:
Armored: The piece gains 2 AC per point spent.

SLA: The piece can use one 1st level arcane or divine spell as a Spell-like Ability once, with Caster Level equal to its summoner's Chessmaster level. This ability costs one point. Higher level SLAs can be added, but at a higher point cost:
{table=head]Level|Cost
2|3 (starting at Level 4)
3|7 (starting at Level 7)
4|13 (starting at Level 10)
5|21 (starting at Level 13)
6|31 (starting at Level 16)
7|43 (starting at Level 19)
[/table]
An additional use of a SLA may be added for half the original cost, rounded up.

Strength: The piece gains 2 Strength per point spent.

Agility: The piece gains 2 Dexterity per point spent.

Heavy Hitter: The piece's base weapon damage increases by 1 step per point spent, up to 3d6 damage.

Multiple Limbs: By spending 3 points, the piece gains the Multiattack feat and one additional slam attack, doing 1 damage step lower than its normal attack.

Range: By spending 2 points, the piece gains a ranged attack, dealing its normal melee damage plus its Strength bonus.

Speed Boost: The piece gains 10 ft of land speed per point spent.

Flight: For 10 points, the piece gains a fly speed equal to its land speed, with poor maneuverability. Each 8 points spent afterwards increase its fly speed by 20 feet and its maneuverability by 1 step, to a maximum of good.

Spell Resistance: The piece gains Spell Resistance 15 for 3 points. This resistance is increased by 2 for every additional point spent.

Tactics:

Castling: When the Chessmaster or one of his pieces is targeted by an attack, he can spend 3 TP in order to switch places (as an immediate action) with the attacked piece, or to switch places with the closest piece if he is the one being attacked. The attack resolves as normal against the new target.

Promotion: When a piece downs an enemy, the Chessmaster can spend any number of TP (max 2/level) in order to grant the piece temporary abilities with total cost no greater than the number of TP spent. These abilities last until the piece dies or the encounter ends.

Double Move: The Chessmaster can give up his standard action for the turn in order to command two pieces. This ability costs 8 TP.

Triple Move: The Chessmaster can give up his entire turn in order to command three pieces. This ability costs 15 TP.

Battlefield Manipulation: The Chessmaster can cast Dimension Shuffle (PHII) on one piece. This ability costs 1 TP.

Battlefield Mastery: The Chessmaster can cast Dimension Step (PHII) on all of his pieces. This ability costs 5 TP.

Protection: As a move action, the Chessmaster can cause any number of his pieces to disappear from the battlefield. They reappear (in the same positions) one round later, but the Chessmaster can pay 1 TP/round to extend their disappearance. This ability costs 2 TP.

masterstalker2
2012-04-12, 09:00 PM
This seems good but needs much expansion

I suggest you make a list of example pieces and costs, maybe using the pieces of chess for it, with a King or queen piece using up a good chunk of points but being one of the most powerful

radmelon
2012-04-12, 09:27 PM
Very cool idea, reminds me of the battlefield from Homestuck. I know it's unfinished, but I hope more gets added. Word of advice: Rather than having summoning a piece be a free action once per turn, just make it a swift action.

dragonsamurai77
2012-04-12, 09:49 PM
Very cool idea, reminds me of the battlefield from Homestuck. I know it's unfinished, but I hope more gets added. Word of advice: Rather than having summoning a piece be a free action once per turn, just make it a swift action.

All of your pieces are summoned as soon as combat starts; directing them is a free action, though you can only move one per turn.

radmelon
2012-04-12, 09:58 PM
Right, yes that. Either way, a swift action is identical to a free action, but with the 1/turn built right in.

dragonsamurai77
2012-04-12, 10:01 PM
Right, yes that. Either way, a swift action is identical to a free action, but with the 1/turn built right in.

I see what you mean now. Changed.

gooddragon1
2012-04-12, 10:04 PM
Also, if you put a target in "check" your other pieces can get bonuses maybe. If you put them in "checkmate" those bonuses could be even more significant (I.E. if they can't move out of check with a 5 foot step).

Eloel
2012-04-13, 01:49 AM
Might I direct you here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/astralConstruct.htm) and there (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625b) for some extra ideas?

Merchant
2012-04-13, 10:19 AM
I gave a few suggestions for this chess type base class. I just want to show some ideas because I'm very interested in how you are going to use tactics and how you are creating pieces.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218374

I had the thought of when you create your pieces you can choose the material that you use. Those DR bypassing material comes in intervals, but similar in the way that certain pieces might play a different role. I think that each type of piece should have a set of unique materials.

Ex: Pawn
clay-bonuses to disguise
glass-bonus to hide

not sure about others. Just food for thought.

dragonsamurai77
2012-04-14, 06:29 PM
Added some Tactics and one new class feature.

danzibr
2012-04-14, 07:56 PM
Did I toooootally miss it or is there no description for the pieces?

dragonsamurai77
2012-04-14, 08:00 PM
Did I toooootally miss it or is there no description for the pieces?

You make them by adding abilities to the base piece; there are no specific pieces you have to choose from. This Chessmaster is far more versatile than the real one.