PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Character Creation advice/tips/thoughts

Dyzon
2012-04-12, 08:35 PM
So I am now joining a Kingmaker Campaign that is already off the ground. The setting isn't the normal Kingmaker, rules yes but not the area and story.

Back story: Bane (LE Forgotten Realms God) Has found a way to travel to Galorian and is now wanting to become a god in Galorian, he cant do it because his power comes from how many and how strong his followers are, like all gods. So he contracted a Forgotten Realms epic level party to start a following of Bane. As most intelligent beings they outsourced, hiring a few Galorians to do their bidding (enter my party). They, the party, decided to get started on the edge of Sargava/ Mawagi Expanse. The Shackle Pirates are currently "protecting" the Sargava country from the fleets of Cheliax. So we have a way to establish a coup/revolt and attempt to solidify a following of Bane.

My issue: Party consists of...
11 Oracle (Blind, Main Healer)
10 Cleric (Necromancer, Negative Channel)
11 Rouge (Diplomat, Skill Monkey)
10 ME Unknown???

So the party is in desperate need of a front line, thus I was thinking of either a...
Fighter (2Handed Archetype) great for Combat 20-26 AC; 25-30dmg **WITHOUT** rolling :smallbiggrin:
Fighter (Sword & Board) Average everything 26-30 AC; 10-20dmg

Is there anything else that's a decent class/archetype. I have messed with a lot of the fighter versions/archetypes that I can think of and not wanting to play Phalanx Fighter (OH NO GUNS EITHER)

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED :biggrin:

timekart
2012-04-12, 10:41 PM
Well your character should depend on you and your DM. If you have a DM that is out to try and have a good time you shouldn't be worried about have an entire party composition. I'm starting up a campaign and I wasn't allowing my PCs to tell each other what they were playing just so each one could be what they wanted and play for enjoyment.

That being said, I feel like two-handed weapon is always a much stronger choice than sword and board. If you pick up a falchion and just start swinging for crits, you don't need to worry about full attacking. Full attacks are the only way I can see sword and board worth it. The AC benefits provided aren't that great and from what I've seen D&D is about killing things faster than they have a change to retaliate.

So, two-handed > sword and board
Unless you wanted to be a TWF paladin. Your full attack smites would be great.
Hopefully this helps.

EDIT: I didn't notice you were pro-Bane, Scratch the paladin idea... Unless you went anti-paladin, the full attack smites would be pretty similar.

Dyzon
2012-04-13, 08:31 PM
Thanks it helps a lot and I most likely will be going 2handed vs the sword-n-board hell I might pick a shield up just encase.

Thanks again :smallsmile:

Mithric Gunn
2012-04-13, 11:10 PM
hmm. Magus/skirnir wouldnt be good. bit lighter on ac at low levels, but would give your party a decent arcane that can do some tanking, especially with buffs. Alos throw out some control spells, so you dont have to take all the hits every round. math wins fights, penalties are better than damage.

Armoured hulk barabarian has some good offensive options, while still having full plate ac

Cavalier is probably the best option, especially if you're dm will let you skin a samurai as a more martial knight.
Heavy armor, bonuses to defense and offense. The mount is just gravy, unless you want to focus on mounted combat.

Monks have several options to turn them into decent tanks. decent dmg, with some maneuver goodness as well. Sacred mountain is solid(heh).

Also consider a druid focusing on shapeshifting, synthesist summoner(if your dm allows them, theyre kinda broken)
Synth summoner can easily be practically untouchable with very little investment, very maneuvarable as well.

One of the great things about PF is that most classes have a wide range of party roles they can fill, if built right.

Dyzon
2012-04-17, 02:44 PM
So I have created a Half Elven level 9-2WpF & 1-HK Order of the Nail he's in shot Judge Dread :smallsmile:

18/22 str --> +2 belt of str/dex
14/16 dex -> +2 belt of str/dex
15 con
11 int
10 wis
14 cha

x2 +1 Falcatas (able to use them bc Ancestral Arms 1/2elf trait)
+1 MW Spiked HK plate Mithral +10ac

Feats:
Dodge; 2-Wp Fighting; Wp Focus/Special(falcata); Power Attack; Step Up; Double Slice; Dodge; Imp Crit(falcata); Intimidating Prowess(for flavor)

Amulet nat armor +1; Cloak Resistance +2; Ring/Sust(flavor "the law never sleeps")

He's doing a decent amount of damage and able to take a few hits as well. Please if you guys have any advise let me know

-THANKS!!! :smile: