PDA

View Full Version : Dread Warrior Bards? (3.5)

Ason
2012-04-12, 11:37 PM
I recently acquired an interest in min/maxed necromancy as a theoretical exercise (or at least as a threat to wield against my players :smalltongue:), and an idea came to me. However, I'm not sure if it would actually work, so I turn to the Playground's collective wisdom for this, as my google-fu has failed me. Here's the scoop:

The "Animate Dread Warrior" spell from Unapproachable East creates an undead servant that retains many of its class features and feats. Bards who take the Requiem feat (LM 29) can affect undead with their bardic music. If a necromancer killed a bard who tricked out his inspire courage/DFI and who also took the Requiem feat, and then that necromancer animated the dead bard as a dread warrior, would the new undead still be able to use his bardic abilities?

If it works, I envision a shambling undead horde wielding every bardic buff imaginable as a squad of dread warrior bards blasts its alp horns of doom. Hilarity would not ensure for the living.

Keld Denar
2012-04-13, 12:24 AM
Um, I don't think that would work. Undead can't be Dragonblooded, so DFI would "turn off" since he no longer meets the prereqs. You could get normal non-DFI IC, but layering different flavors of DFI probably wouldn't work.

Endarire
2012-04-13, 01:22 AM
Though if you're the GM, you can have this work.

Ason
2012-04-13, 01:49 PM
Um, I don't think that would work. Undead can't be Dragonblooded, so DFI would "turn off" since he no longer meets the prereqs.

Even if the undead was a half-dragon prior to death and reanimation, it wouldn't work?

Thurbane
2012-04-13, 08:18 PM
Um, I don't think that would work. Undead can't be Dragonblooded, so DFI would "turn off" since he no longer meets the prereqs. You could get normal non-DFI IC, but layering different flavors of DFI probably wouldn't work.
I don't think becoming undead would necessarily remove the Dragonblood subtype. The Dragonblood sidebar in RotD and DM doesn't state anything about only applying to living creatures, and only mentions losing the subtype if you gain the Dragon type. The Twilight Guardian has the Dragonblood subtype, and it's a Plant, so it's not only restricted to Humanoids either.

There's also nothing specific to the Undead type or the Animate Dread Warrior spells that says you lose subtypes. The sample Dread Warrior, however, does not have the Human subtype, so it's a little unclear.