PDA

View Full Version : Changing a Weapon's Damage Type

Menteith
2012-04-13, 09:16 AM
Is there a feat or class feature that can change a the type of damage a weapon deals? I'm looking for a way to cause the Harpoon (Frostburn) to deal Slashing Damage, instead of Piercing. I cannot use a weapon enhancement to do this - it need to be through something unique to the character, not to the item. Thanks in advance!

rmg22893
2012-04-13, 09:26 AM
I don't know of anything that would do this; a weapon's damage is usually set in stone. You can't really do slashing damage with a rapier or impale someone with a greataxe. It just doesn't work.

Menteith
2012-04-13, 09:30 AM
I don't know of anything that would do this; a weapon's damage is usually set in stone. You can't really do slashing damage with a rapier or impale someone with a greataxe. It just doesn't work.

I've not been able to find anything, but I'm always of the mindset that you can do anything if you look hard enough. That's the great part about 3.5.

Thurbane
2012-04-13, 09:49 AM
Certain weapon enhancements will let it count as slashing for overcoming DR...

hydraa
2012-04-13, 02:02 PM
You could use have a houserule that treats the harpoon as it does with alternate types of arrows. {normal arrow 5 cp}
Bludgeon
Ball 1 gp (kalamar) {-2 to atk}, Blunt 5 sp(Rotw) {subdual}
Slashing
Tigerclaw 1gp (kalamar)
Slashing and Piercing
SerpentsTongue 15 cp (ROTW) {ingnore up to hardness 5 on objects}, Zigzag5 sp (DR330) {double damage to object hardness 0

rgd20
2012-04-13, 02:08 PM
Certain weapon enhancements will let it count as slashing for overcoming DR...

in Pathfinder they have Versatile Weapon (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/v/versatile-weapon) which does get rid of the DR. Maybe you could have gloves of it?

The Winter King
2012-04-13, 04:46 PM
None that I know of but perhaps you could rule it as an improvised weapon? (-4 to hit and down one size with a chance of the weapon breaking) seems appropriate.

Spiryt
2012-04-13, 04:57 PM

Eh, that's not really true. Plenty of axes had very serviceable points, if we're looking at this like that.

http://www.freha.pl/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=5569

D&D generally omits stuff like that for the sake of simplicity.