PDA

View Full Version : Cayden Cailean Cleric advice/thoughts

ursineoddity
2012-04-13, 01:32 PM
I'm making a cleric of Cayden Cailean for an upcoming campaign, and really drawing a blank on feats. It's a 15 point buy, and so far my stats are:
S 10 D 10 Co 10 I 10 W 16 Ch 14 with 5 points left to spend. I'm a human, and starting at lvl 1. He's part of a family of brewers, and uses his ability to create water/ale/wine to share samples of his family's various ales with the world. I don't really want to make a healbot, since clerics are decent healers anyway, otherwise I'd go for Extra Channel and Selective Channel right away. The other characters in our party so far are a rogue, a two-handed weapon fighter, and a druid, with the possible addition of a gnome fey bloodline sorcerer. His traits are Fast Talker and Good Natured, and he's CG aligned. I would appreciate any ideas that anyone thinks would help.

Should I resign myself to being a healbot?
Any thoughts on variant channeling (I was thinking bravery)?
Where should I spend those last 5 points...phys stats to make him a viable combatant, or Int or Cha to make him a better face man?
Seriously, what feats does a jolly drunkard take?

The Glyphstone
2012-04-13, 01:42 PM
How do you expect to hold your liquor with Con 10?:smallbiggrin: Bump that CON up regardless so you can take a hit or two - hard to heal your party if you're the first one taking a dirt-nap.

JonRG
2012-04-13, 03:52 PM
Is the druid a caster/controller type or does he plan to turn into a bear and maul faces with his animal companion, who is also a bear? If he's shooting for the latter, you'll be fine playing a caster cleric. Going that route, this seems like the ideal PB. (There's a thread (http://paizo.com/forums/dmtz4ehd?15-point-buy-cleric) on the Paizo boards of people discussing the same thing)

Cleric Human
Casting (15 point buy)
Str 8 Dex 10 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 17 Cha 14

There's no need to healbot. In a combat situation, it's typically better to prevent damage by killing or locking down an opponent. The druid, sorcerer and rogue can use CLW wands once you get up enough scratch to buy them.

The variant channels for Cayden Cailean are very situational in their utility. I would stick with the standard effect. Selective Channeling is a good choice.

As for feats, I searched the Paizo DB for Cayden Cailean feats, but didn't find any. Perhaps you should get drunk and select feats at random. That's the Cayden Cailean way. :smalltongue:

grarrrg
2012-04-14, 08:23 AM
I'm making a cleric of Cayden Cailean for an upcoming campaign,
Any thoughts on variant channeling (I was thinking bravery)?

BAD Ursineoddity, BAD!
How DARE you make a Cleric of Cayden Cailean and suggest ANY Variant Channeling other than Ale/Wine!
BAD Player, BAD!

Alleran
2012-04-14, 09:42 AM
How do you expect to hold your liquor with Con 10?:smallbiggrin: Bump that CON up regardless so you can take a hit or two - hard to heal your party if you're the first one taking a dirt-nap.
This. You'll need more CON to make sure you don't get out-drunk by anybody. A halfway competent elf could out-drink CON 10.

Oh, and being able to take a hit would be useful too, I guess.

JonRG
2012-04-14, 11:56 AM
If you be able to melee as needed, there's always the Channel Smite (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/channel-smite-combat)/Guided Hand (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/-guided-hand) chain.