PDA

View Full Version : Living spell does This work?

Harry
2012-04-13, 02:23 PM
Hello playground i want to make a living spell but I am not sure if this works the living spell is a wish/shapechange first do these spell qualify? Second what happeneds when he engulfs someone? Do they gain unlimited wishes? It will be a sentry ooze also what will this thing look like? I am guessing a ooze with warping features melting And reforming over and over again correct?

Zonugal
2012-04-13, 02:26 PM
I have always imagined that a living spell sentry ooze would look like the Smoke Monster from LOST.

http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/smoke.jpg

Necroticplague
2012-04-13, 03:14 PM
You can't directly have a living wish directly (though a wish simulating another spell could work) or a living shapechange, because neither of them have areas.

Harry
2012-04-13, 03:24 PM
You can't directly have a living wish directly (though a wish simulating another spell could work) or a living shapechange, because neither of them have areas.

Disintegration is not a aoe yet still works but ok could I add a spell with a area then add wish and shapechange?

Necroticplague
2012-04-13, 03:33 PM
Disintegration is not a aoe yet still works but ok could I add a spell with a area then add wish and shapechange?

They specifically say in the online article that some of those examples are exceptions to the rule, including disintegrate, confusion, and (a modified) flesh-to-stone. I have not read living spell template in a while, so I'm not even sure if you can make living spells with multiple spells in them, or if these tacked-on spells have to qualify.

Daftendirekt
2012-04-13, 03:39 PM
Living Spell has to be applied to an AoE -- fireball, cloudkill, etc. Things with instantaneous effects like Wish, or even targeted spells like Ray of Enfeeblement, would not work.

Obviously, if you're the DM, you can ignore that and make it whatever spell you want.

Harry
2012-04-13, 04:00 PM
Living Spell has to be applied to an AoE -- fireball, cloudkill, etc. Things with instantaneous effects like Wish, or even targeted spells like Ray of Enfeeblement, would not work.

Obviously, if you're the DM, you can ignore that and make it whatever spell you want.

Ok I will it's just I hate using dm fiat also does any one have a idea for a living spell that works by raw? The wish/shapechange is a miniboss so the new can be stronger

nedz
2012-04-13, 04:06 PM
The best living spells are combos of two, or more, other spells.

This sounds like an optimisation challange.

Fighting Talk !
Can the playground resist ? :smallbiggrin:

Harry
2012-04-13, 04:47 PM
The best living spells are combos of two, or more, other spells.

This sounds like an optimisation challange.

Fighting Talk !
Can the playground resist ? :smallbiggrin:

Shall I make a new thread?

Emperor Tippy
2012-04-13, 05:09 PM
Living Disjunction is a pain to fight.

If you want something real nasty to throw at your players, use a Sentry Living Disjunction Sorcerer 20. It has a base charisma of 29. Or 45 after items, inherent bonuses, and level up points. You might want to throw in a maximized Awaken Ooze to pick up 20 Int.

Living Wail of the Banshee is also fun to let loose, those will wipe a battle field clean in minutes.

Harry
2012-04-13, 08:14 PM
Living Disjunction is a pain to fight.

If you want something real nasty to throw at your players, use a Sentry Living Disjunction Sorcerer 20. It has a base charisma of 29. Or 45 after items, inherent bonuses, and level up points. You might want to throw in a maximized Awaken Ooze to pick up 20 Int.

Living Wail of the Banshee is also fun to let loose, those will wipe a battle field clean in minutes.

So a living disjunction/wail of the banshee sentry Ooze sorcerer 20 which has been maximized awaken'ed awesome:smallbiggrin: P.S. I should mention its going to be fused with a pit fiend psion 20

Kazyan
2012-04-13, 08:24 PM
Living Black Tentacles/Doomtide = lockdowns. Lockdowns, everywhere.

Eisenfavl
2012-04-13, 11:25 PM
Living Black Tentacles/Doomtide = lockdowns. Lockdowns, everywhere.

Oooo, use the Faerun energy draining version of black tentacles! Negative levels AND grapples for erryone.
Don't forget that we can arbitrarily boost the clvl of the ooze.

Tippy, wouldn't that ooze be CR ~39?

Kuulvheysoon
2012-04-13, 11:32 PM
Oooo, use the Faerun energy draining version of black tentacles! Negative levels AND grapples for erryone.
Don't forget that we can arbitrarily boost the clvl of the ooze.

There's also a poisoned version of Black Tentacles in Serpent Kingdoms, if I recall correctly.

And I believe his Imperial Majesty was referring to a Disjunction or a Wail of the Banshee, not and.

Emperor Tippy
2012-04-13, 11:42 PM
Yep.

That is the downside of Living Disjunction being CR 17 on it's own.

Eisenfavl
2012-04-13, 11:44 PM
There's also a poisoned version of Black Tentacles in Serpent Kingdoms, if I recall correctly.

And I believe his Imperial Majesty was referring to a Disjunction or a Wail of the Banshee, not and.
I was refering to a sorcerer 20 living disjunction.

Hmmm, we can make better oozes then this. An ooze optimisation challenge, perhaps?
Edit:
Sentry ooze adds like ~10 charisma, doesn't it? That makes the DC's of living spells significantly higher.

Harry
2012-04-14, 12:54 AM
I was refering to a sorcerer 20 living disjunction.

Hmmm, we can make better oozes then this. An ooze optimisation challenge, perhaps?
Edit:
Sentry ooze adds like ~10 charisma, doesn't it? That makes the DC's of living spells significantly higher.

This seems like a series of threads I think I'll call it creature optimizing challenge

nedz
2012-04-14, 01:35 AM
This seems like a series of threads I think I'll call it creature optimizing challenge

Naah stick to living spells, it would be far too silly otherwise.

We would really need to parametarise this, a DC 39 Living Spell is obviously a handful.

Options:

Iron Chef Style: DC 20 Living Spell
Level 1 style: Best DC 1 Living Spell
Handbook: Living Spells
Handbook: How to Advance Living Spells

Just out of interest: How do you awaken a Disjunction Living Spell, I mean without it like Disjoining the Awaken ?

Harry
2012-04-14, 04:44 AM
Naah stick to living spells, it would be far too silly otherwise.

We would really need to parametarise this, a DC 39 Living Spell is obviously a handful.

Options:

Iron Chef Style: DC 20 Living Spell
Level 1 style: Best DC 1 Living Spell
Handbook: Living Spells
Handbook: How to Advance Living Spells

Just out of interest: How do you awaken a Disjunction Living Spell, I mean without it like Disjoining the Awaken ?
Considering how my pcs are way in to epic dc20 won't help and I don't quite know hot awaken works on it:smallconfused:

Hanuman
2012-04-14, 06:26 AM
Hallucinatory Terrain + Shatter

Can you imagine how confused the players would be?

"The hall slowly turns into a forest, you hear a loud ringing sound approach and objects appear to break. The ringing sound is now very loud and you hear your potions explode within your bag, an intense vibration washes over you and shows no sign of stopping."

PANIC

Chronos
2012-04-14, 12:24 PM
I'm going to go ahead and recommend against using Disjunction, because that spell is just a pain. Not as in, it's hard for the characters to overcome; as in, it takes hours of time around the table to resolve it. Just think how many different magic items you have by that level. Now, just think of having to look up and roll the saves for each and every one of them.

Jigokuro
2012-04-14, 01:00 PM
I was once in a level 50 epic campaign as a dragonwrought Kobold swiftblade. My favorite trick to avoid death (DM pulled no punches, as he shouldn't at 50) was time stopping pretty much at will with innervated speed. My second most enjoyed ability, however, was...
supernaturally Shapechanging into a living M Disjunction.
"So the entire plane has permanent magical silence over it from the god that made it? It is magical though right? About that...":smallbiggrin: