PDA

View Full Version : Rogue Trader: Cold Dawn

Maddness
2012-04-13, 04:03 PM
It was not a rare sight to see a Rogue Trading vessel arrive at Port Wander, but still The Coming Dawn’s arrival was greeted by a large uptick in Vox chatter at her arrival. Lord-Captain Vronisgard, you and your trusted Retinue, have made the long journey to the Gate of the Expanse to meet a contact, who is willing to trade with you a great deal of Agricultural machinery and supplies (from Agri-servitors to frozen Grox embryos) that even now sits in your hold, destined for one of the rare colony voyages set for the expanse. However, within several hours of arriving at the Port you discover your contact is dead (of natural causes, Naturally) and the Colony mission has already departed, their quota filled with agricultural supplies by a fellow Rogue Trader who has since departed. You are now stuck with a great deal of machinery and supplies’ making a loss to you for every hour it sits in your hold taking up space.

However, there is hope. You have heard a rumour that another world in the expanse is greatly bereft of Agri-supplies, and willing to pay dearly for what you have. However, since the recent naval authority being reinstated aboard Port Wander they have required every Civilian Ship to take a full contraband check before travelling in or out of the expanse, A check that could take Months aboard The Coming Dawn and burn a substantial hole in your pockets. However, before you can despair you receive a personal vox message from the Station, from the Borvinn Merchants Cartel, Saying only “If you wish to enter the Expanse, meet me at the Blind Eye tavern.” Signed by Guild Master Vex Borvinn himself.

What do you do next?

Thelonius
2012-04-13, 05:14 PM
Victris Fadayra

''A lengthy check for contraband!'' Fadayra's nostrils flared. ''How dare they impede the course, laid out in front of us by divine providence, of he who watches over us.'' Shaking with outrage at the impudence of the Imperial Navy, he made his way to the command deck. ''I need a communication established to the Adeptus Ministorum.'' He tried to remember, what sort of sway the Ministorum held in the system. When he secured their assistance, they would be able to impress the importance of the ship's mission on the Navy. And perhaps the Emperor has prepared a mission for him here. Mysterious were his ways, but certainly he will bestow his grace and give opportunity for his pious servant to prove himself.

Skill Checks

Fadayra uses Common Lore (Creed) to remember specifics of the local Imperial Cult to aid in interaction with Ministorum.
Intelligence: 33+10 (Common Lore (Creed) = 43
Roll:

Fadayra tries to impress his personal importance on local Ministorum to secure their attention and help.
Fellowship: 24 (halved) + 5 (Charm Bonus) + 10 (Peer Bonus) = 39*
Roll: [Roll]1d100

*Any chance for a bonus from Secret Language (Ecclesiarchy) Skill?

I'm trying to get a Creed side mission and back-up plan, if Borvin Merchant's Cartel plan doesn't work out.

Vixsor Lumin
2012-04-13, 05:18 PM
"We don't have months to sit here and wait for a sweep of the ship. Besides, no one can fault us for going in for a few drinks. I say we go speak with Master Vex Borvinn, but as always I welcome thoughts and ideas from another persepective." Tristan Vronisgard says to the men assembled on the bridge of the Dawn.

Thelonius
2012-04-13, 05:34 PM
''Perhaps I should accompany you, Lord-Captain. You will need my wisdom and insight. My eyes have been blessed to discern deceit and evil intent. If it's a trap, I will see us safe'' murmured Fadayra, pleased with himself, for displaying such concern and generosity. His time was very valuable, but if he could prevent any mistakes, it would be well spent. And the goodwill of the Lord-Captain could serve him well in the future. And it can serve to strengthen his contacts with Vronigards. Their family was indeed poor, but Victris intended to live a long life and fortunes changed with the tides of time.

Vixsor Lumin
2012-04-13, 05:44 PM
Tristan sits and thinks for a moment, "Very well, I suppose your skills could prove valuable." he says and leans forward in his seat.

Daisuke1133
2012-04-13, 11:34 PM
"I should accompany you as well, my Lord-Captain. Plenty of troublemakers to be found in these parts." Grendel adds, looking forward to a chance for something more exciting than enduring a long contraband inspection.

DrK
2012-04-14, 01:53 AM
Twistcatcher Sarvus

THe senescheal sitting in his luxurious chair on the corner of the bridge looks looks anything but at ease. Glaring at the calculance and and the data slate the numbers again do not lie.

Damn that man dying he curses inwardly. A hold jammed full of agri-supplies and earth tilling equipment and no-one to supply them to. "Another world or catch that damned rat that stole our slot and hole him..." the 2 possible thoughs that pop into his mind.

At the message from the guild master he is very quick to support the Lord Captain going, quickly grabbing his pistol and activating the small power pack on his waist lest things become hostile. "My Lord Captain. We must attend this meeting if it can accelerate things."
he pauses as he glances around "Or My lord Captain... we know where the colony vessel is heading. If the other Rogue Trader were to have a misfortune and not arrive on time.... well first come first served."

huyche
2012-04-14, 07:23 AM
In the corner of the bridge a tall figure, covered in long, cloak-like robes, stands motionless. Livid and heavy, they completely obscure the shape of the being underneath.
The figure shifts uncomfortably at the mention of an inspection.

"My Lord-Captain, I believe the request to examine our cargo is nothing but ordinary routine," he says, his voice low and rustling. It was more of an attempt to convince himself of the fact than to reassure captain Vronisgard. "Nonetheless, the authorities will need a formal response sooner or later."
"If you have no need for my council during the meeting with the Guild Master, I would prefer to stay aboard The Coming Dawn and see that no harm comes to it in your absence." The thought of leaving the ship made him feel somewhat ill at ease.

Vixsor Lumin
2012-04-14, 10:01 AM
Tristan nods to Grendel thinking that another gun is never a bad thing. After Sarvus speaks Tristan stops to think for a second. "It would be nice to show the bastard who he is messing with, but I'm not sure what we could do. We might be able to beat them to the colony world though... well either way we need off this planet now, and to do that we need to talk to Guild Master Borvinn." then he looks to Sagittaruis and adds, "Thank you, once I leave you have the deck until I return." with that, he stands from his command chair and gets ready to leave the ship

Maddness
2012-04-14, 07:55 PM
The Party make their way down to one of the Dawn's auxiliary cargo holds, serving as a hanger for your vessel. It will still be several hours before the dawn can be towed by the void-tugs into a dock, meaning you will need to take a shuttle to the station for now.

The ride over is brief, but you are held up as you enter the claustrophobic guard station beyond the Air-gate, manned by several board looking members of the Administratum. A number of Arbites squad-members meet you as you are enter, each carrying combat shotguns and wearing strong looking flack uniforms. "I'm sorry gentlemen, we will need to relieve you of any weapons before you enter the station proper." Says one of the Arbites, clearly the leader with a Sargent's stripes emblazoned on his shoulder.

Vixsor Lumin
2012-04-14, 08:41 PM
Tristan looks the man up and down before saying, "I value my safety and the safety of my me. Now I'm not saying that you aren't doing your job, but weapons will eventually work their way into any port, and I want to be able to defend ourselves. I'm sure that you would try your best to avoid any conflict, but violence can happen at any time and your men can't be everywhere. I swear by the Throne that these weapons will only be used in our defense if they get used at all."

charm roll my Fel is 53
[roll0]

DrK
2012-04-14, 09:43 PM
Sarvus looks at the enforcers with a surprised glare. "You do realise you speak to the holder of the Vronisguard warrant of trade" .

Sarvus tries to look understanding, "we are happy to leave our king weapons on board the shuttle but we would rather retain our sidearms and ceremonial blades".

Charm vs ~50 or so [roll0]

Thelonius
2012-04-15, 02:29 AM
Victris Fadayra

Fadayra paused at the guard post, looking deep in thought. He was completely unconcerned about the order to surrender weapons, since it obviously didn't apply to him - the member of Ecclesiarchy.

Skill Check
Charm: (49/2) 24 + 5 vs. [roll0]

Daisuke1133
2012-04-16, 10:05 AM
Grendel disconnects his hellgun from its power source, allowing the cable to retract on its own. He holds the now unpowered gun in a loose grip, ready to hand it over on the Captain's order.

And only his order.

huyche
2012-04-16, 12:48 PM
With the Captain left, Sagittarius keeps his silent vigil at the bridge, overlooking the surrounding Void.

Can I make an extended Void Watcher test? Keep watching until our delegation returns back to the ship from the meeting. (In case it will be needed at all.)
Per Test [roll0] vs 48

Maddness
2012-04-16, 03:45 PM
Whilst the Sargent looks unimpressed at the Rogue traders title, clearly used to the Swaggering of such persons, he looks thoughtful at the Senechal's request.

"So long as you promise not to cause any trouble aboard the Station, then I think we can let you keep your sidearms. They'll need to remained sheathed and in plain view to our security forces whilst you are aboard."

He gestured to the Arbites, who lowered their weapons, then to the desk where the bored Administratum adept sat "Please hand over your primary arms there. You too Father." he said, addressing Missionary Fadayra directly.

----

Aboard the Coming Dawn Sagittarius tries to gaze out through the vial of reality to asses the surroundings of the port, but finds his vision blocked. The turbulent warp storms in this region have thrown forth a psychic flurry that makes even the simplest images blurry to the Navigator's senses.

Fate Re-roll, results below

DrK
2012-04-16, 03:58 PM
Sarvus gives a small smile making sure his sidearm hangs at a jaunty angle before addressing the Captain. "Shall we meet this guildmaster then? he had better be worth the time. If not its a race to colony world for us possily? At least no ship in the sector is as fast the Dawn".

As they head towards the Blind Eye the twist catcher whispers a few words into the Captain's ear. "My lord captain, if this does not go well. Might it not be better to misinform the Port here and register a false flight plan back into Imperial Space, perhaps avoiding the contraband check. Once out we can easily reverse course and make our way and fortune where you wish?"

Thelonius
2012-04-16, 04:02 PM
Victris Fadayra appears surprised at the request, but complies without rising a fuss.

Vixsor Lumin
2012-04-16, 04:58 PM
Not carrying anything but his sidearm and blade, Tristan stared at the Seargent thinking about what he could do to avoid people like him. As they walked away he whispered back, "Always nice to have a back up plan. We could try that, but I'm not sure it would avoid the check. Out here contraband is more common. They might try harder to keep it out of Imperial Space. My main concerns with a check are the time and the fact that they might find the hidden cargo holds."

Maddness
2012-04-17, 02:08 PM
With a sudden clarity Sagittarius' vision cleared, allowing him to see for several thousand kilometers around the Coming Dawn and Port Wander.

He senses the Multitude of small craft that drift around the port, their small scale plasma drives lighting up the void like beacons, ranging is size from tiny one manned craft to vast cargo-haulers, although few can rival the size of a mighty warp vessel such as the Coming Dawn.

The navigator also senses the many asteroids that surround the station, the vast planetary ring that played host to everything from mining operations and habs. He even sees the shipyards and repair stations S/814 R IX and B/017 C III. swarming with small ships as larger vessels slip into births roe upgrades or repair.

Everything seems normal for a port, appearing with unrivaled clarity to Sagittarius' eye. However, as the vision begins to lose some of its intensity, he spots a Warp rift opening, disgorging another warp vessel into the system, its hull a gleaming silver in the wan light of the local star. It appears to be a frigate of some kind, and its decoration marked it as something other then a Navel craft. although the Monitor Craft don't seem too worried by its appearance, continuing their patrol as before.

Maddness
2012-04-18, 05:29 AM
You leave the Air-gate and walk into the main station. Its corridors are almost like streets, high Gothic arches showing the star-field high above your heads. You walk through market districts and past Taverns of varying repute and hawkers selling everything from food (possibly?) to relics of long dead saints.

You finally make it to the Blind Eye, its metal sign having the shape of an eye, hollow, announcing it to the whole deck. It was busy, with people in varying sates of clothing, from the poor laborers to wealthy merchants.

Entering the tavern you are confronted with the typical sounds of taverns everywhere, raised voices, laughter, and the chink of drinking vessels, permeated by the smell of alcohol.

You are about to go over to the bar when you notice a robed figure gesturing to you subtly. You go over, sitting in the chairs provided for you. The figure does not look at you, their face hidden by their hood as they sips their drink.

"You're late." The voice said, clipped and cultured, but unambiguous in the extreme.

Vixsor Lumin
2012-04-18, 08:08 AM
"We got held up by the Arbites. Now, I believe you called this meeting to do business?" Tristan said as he played with the cable leading to his laspistol.

DrK
2012-04-18, 02:31 PM
Sarvus looks about the bar catching the eye of a waiting girl. "Amsec, the best you have. 2 bottles" he says with a smile before sitting down.

"As my colleague says, the arbites here hold up guests as easily as they hold up ships. Now we are here as is the Lord Captain. Please explain yourself?"

Daisuke1133
2012-04-19, 04:28 PM
Grendel slips into a chair near the captain, caring not one whit for the stranger's tone. But he holds his tongue, knowing that indulging in his desire to redress such slights would not be prudent.

He flags down a servant for a cup of water before turning his attention to the conversation at hand.

Maddness
2012-04-20, 06:28 PM
"Indeed, the Arbites have become a bother now that the Imperial navy has repossessed our fine port. But no matter, we have more urgent things to discuss." The robed figure places their drink on tabletop. "I have many ears and eyes in this port, and they have informed me that you have a need to get into the expanse, and do not have the time to indulge the Navy's paranoia. Thankfully my guild has the pull with station command to get you waved through the checks. However, there will be a price." The hooded figure took another sip from their drink, seeming to eye the captain from under their hood.

Vixsor Lumin
2012-04-20, 06:36 PM
"Oh? And what would this price be?" Tristan says as he folds his fingers on the table, and gives the man a deadpan stare.

Maddness
2012-04-23, 03:13 PM
The figure leans back "Your contact was not exclusive to your Dynasty, he had been running several deals at the time of his death, including an especially lucrative deal with my guild. He had discovered a valuable resource out in the expanse, and in return for substantial fees he traded exclusively with my guild. Needless to say, with his death the source of this resource has been lost to us."

The figure lent forward again "As with you, the longer we are without this trade the more money my guild losses, hence my contacting you. You have the ship and the speed to locate the source, and can only get into the Expanse with our help. So, what say you captain?" He asks the Rogue trader Directly.

Vixsor Lumin
2012-04-24, 01:19 AM
"I'm gonna need some more information on this resource. I've got an entire holds worth of cargo that's burning through my funds every hour that its in my possesion. If I'm gonna go trekking across the Expanse I need to be sure that I can cover my losses on this shipment, or that I'm going to be able to offload it on another buyer in time to take advantage of your offer." Tristan says leaning back in his chair. "If you want my interest, or the aid of the fastest ship in the Imperium, then your going to need to talk a bit more."

DrK
2012-04-25, 12:51 AM
Sarvus watches it all quietly but has his dataslate in hand, fingers flickering as he attempts to balance the profit/loss sheet for the hold of cargo that they have.

"My Lord Captain is correct. We would need far more details before we commit the resources of our warrant. Perhaps with details of where this resource is we could find an anlternative source for the agri-equipment."

Maddness
2012-04-25, 03:53 PM
There was a hiss from the Robed figure, "We will gladly allow you to conduct your business first. It should not take you any more then a few weeks, warp willing. Once completed your ship should be perfectly placed to locate and retrieve our cargo. As to what the cargo comprises, Lets just say the materiel is sensitive, and it would not be in out best interests to publicize its content to the authorities."