PDA

View Full Version : Which D&D Deities Have the Most Traction? (Any Edition)

RufusCorvus
2012-04-13, 06:34 PM
D&D has a lot of gods. A lot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dungeons_%26_Dragons_deities). I'm curious--out of every edition, splatbook, or campaign setting (or even video game, if there are any that introduce new gods) released in D&D lifespan, which deities are the ones considered the best or, at least, most enduringly popular? Or, hell, which do you consider personal favorites? Is there any reason to it that you can articulate or is it just a gut feeling? If you were going to make a campaign setting and you were restricted to choosing between, say, twenty and thirty pre-existing deities to make up your pantheon(s), which would you choose?

This is mostly for the benefit of my own curiosity.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-04-13, 06:38 PM
Ao.

/thread

erikun
2012-04-13, 11:00 PM
Pelor, Moradin, Corellon, Vecna, Lolth, and Tiamat are probably the biggest and most memorable names in the game. Asmodeus, Heironeous, Hextor, Selune, and Bahamut are no doubt high up there as well. Let's not forget Mystra and her repeated deaths.

I'm a fan of Pelor, Eilistraee, Helm, Selune, Ulutiu, and Tharizdun.

alchemyprime
2012-04-13, 11:55 PM
Oh, I love this one.

I tend to like to have Sune, Denier, Olidammara, Kord, Heironius, Hextor, Kelemvor, the Silver Flame... those are some good ones. For baddies, I do tend to love Thardizun, the Princes of Elemental Evil and the Demon Lords. And, of course, Asmodeus.

Set
2012-04-13, 11:56 PM
The gods chosen for 3.0 and 4th edition are probably the gods that the D&D gurus consider tp have the most 'traction,' such as Pelor and whatnot.

For Greyhawk, my favorites included; Celestian, Wee Jas and Trithereon
also Heironeous, Hextor, Xan Yae, Zouken, Ehlonna, Istus, Phaulkon, Rao.

For the Realms; Tymora was number one with a bullet, but also Torm, Jergal, Auril, Loviator, Talona, Mielikki, Red Knight.

Elves; Aerdrie Faenya, Solonor Thelandira, Deep Sashelas
Gnomes; Flandal Steelskin, Baervan Wildwanderer
Halflings; Arvoreen, Urogalan
Dwarves, Orcs, Drow, Dragons, etc.; none

None of the Eberron choices really floated my boat.

Almost all of the Scarred Lands gods, on the other hand, rocked my world. Corean, Madriel, Tanil, Enkili, Chardun, Belsameth and Nemorga were all favorites.

I'm fond of fickle luck gods, death goddesses, shining knight gods, and quirky gods, mostly.

I like gods that defy expectations. Istus, the goddess of both fickle fate and lockstep predestination grants access to both the Chaos *and* Law domains. That's fun. Urgolan is a halfling *death-god.* Xan Yae and her subordinate Zuoken are gods associated with monks and psionics. Celestian is a *god of space travel.* Jergal and Aerdrie Faenya may or may not predate the races that currently worship them... Cool stuff.

Good gods with domains like Darkness, Death, Destruction, Madness or Scalykind, or evil gods with domains like Artifice, Community, Glory, Healing, Nobility, Protection or Sun automatically intrigue me.

WitchSlayer
2012-04-14, 12:53 AM
I, personally, an a big fan of Erathis and St. Cuthbert.

TARDIS
2012-04-14, 01:02 AM
From personal experience: Lloth, Tiamat, Pelor, Mystra, Vecna and Asmodeus tend to be the ones that come up the most often. Mystra and Pelor because they tend to have the appearance of the "big good" god of the setting (even though they aren't - I'd argue that Heironeous and the Triad of Tyr, Torm, and Illmater are, but hey that's me, not my players) so if people default, they go to the good god they're most familiar with. And then Lloth, Tiamat, Vecna and Asmodeus are screwing around on all the planes - ALL OF THEM! and thus have kinda multiversal status as potential baddies :smallwink:

Mordin and Corellon I guess also have a kind of traction, but basically as the default go-to god for elves and dwarves, so...

nedz
2012-04-14, 06:42 AM
It depends upon the game. Basically which ever diety the parties cleric chooses becomes central to the plot. If there are multiple clerics, with multiple dieties, then there the party can get pulled all over the place.

Yora
2012-04-14, 07:51 AM
Starting with Forgotten Realms, I really think Cyric, Bane, and Shar are the most interesting. Yes I know, they have fanboys and fangirls, but they have a strong presence. Talos and his gang of Auril and Malar are also very cool. I also like Selune. Even though it's a chaotic good faiths of goody two shoes, I always have the impression that the deity, and all the clergy are all a little bit off. Ever so slightly a tiny bit crazy. A bit of loonies, pun completely intended. :smallbiggrin:

Though I find greyhawk boring, you can't really say anything bad about Vecna and Wee-Jas. They are cool. Also Lolth, depending on how you see her. "Some people simple want to see the world burn", and she's one of them. She doesn't have plans, she really just likes to see people desperate and confused.
There is also something great about Tiamat. It's a big damn dragon!

Otherwise, honorable mention to Vol. Not exactly a god, but has one of the greatest religions. While we're at it, throw Graz'zt and Demogorgon in as well.

It's not that I am a particularly big fan of evil characters, but almost all of the good gods are really quite boring. Awsome deities need to be exiting, which none of them are.

Lostbutseeking
2012-04-14, 08:43 AM
I'm a great fan of Ilmater personally

J-H
2012-04-14, 09:28 AM
Gruumsh, Helm, Lolth, Cyric... yeah, yeah, I played BG2 first.

Eloel
2012-04-14, 10:37 AM
I'm not sure if she's even considered a deity, but The Lady is my favorite, by far.

Yora
2012-04-14, 11:09 AM
What Lady?

hamishspence
2012-04-14, 11:12 AM
I hypothesise he means The Lady of Pain- from Planescape- powerful enough to ban deities from her planar city of Sigil, at least.

Yora
2012-04-14, 11:18 AM
It's wise to only hypothesise. Don't call her a deity. :smallbiggrin:

Eloel
2012-04-14, 12:00 PM
It's wise to only hypothesise. Don't call her a deity. :smallbiggrin:

Anything that can kill deities at her whim could be hypothesised to be a deity. Calling her one could be offensive, yes :smallsmile:

Dimers
2012-04-14, 01:57 PM
I thought it was just worshipping her that she punished? ...

I think Tiamat wins top prize. She began in real-world mythology and has appeared in edition after edition. Players also seem pretty dedicated to keeping Thor around, though he's not as big in official published material.

JadedDM
2012-04-14, 03:17 PM
Paladine, Takhisis, Reorx, Mishakal, Gilean...

But not Mina. Never Mina.

INDYSTAR188
2012-04-14, 07:43 PM
I'm a big fan of Oghma, Torm, Sune, Moradin, Bane, and Cyric. Also, I'm running a game where the PC's will eventually fight and kill Orcus (although the big surprise is the one who actually lands the final blow will 'become' the next Orcus).

Elfinor
2012-04-15, 05:57 AM
Pelor, Bane, Vecna, Asmodeus and Kord are among the most 'biggest' faces of D&D. The head racial deities: Corellon, Moradin, Tiamat, Lolth and Bahamut rarely change.

In terms of personal favorites..

Greyhawk/Core: Wee Jas is easily my favorite.

Forgotten Realms: The entire squabbling dead Drow Pantheon, Auril (specifically her aspect as the Queen of Air and Darkness), The Red Knight, Tiamat (for slaying Gilgeam), Deneir (for writing himself into the Weave), Cyric (for the backstabbing), Velsharoon (for ascending and cheating Talos) and Mystra (for the magic-ness). It's a little amusing that a lot of them are dead now.

Dragonlance: I present to you... the dullest collection of deities ever. Takhisis and Zeboim are occasionally entertaining.

Talakeal
2012-04-15, 12:03 PM
The lady of pain is explicitly NOT a deity. She managed to kill a deity (Aoskar), and then barred all deities from sigil. If she ever became a deity her own restriction would bar her from Sigil, and thus worship of the lady is punishable by death as belief can cause divine ascension in Planescape.

The-Mage-King
2012-04-15, 12:20 PM
Assuming that Pathfinder counts...

Cayden Cailean. Flat out, best god ever.

Why?

God of Adventurers, Freedom, Bravery, Ale, and Wine. Who go his divinity by doing a drunken bet.

Otherwise, most of the setting dieties are terrible, IMO.

Zarae
2012-04-15, 12:25 PM
my main two characters are an Eilistraeen and a Vhaeraunite...so that kinda gives it away

Othesemo
2012-04-15, 12:43 PM
I'm partial to Olidamarra, Cyric, Asmodeus and St. Cuthbert, myself.

ScionoftheVoid
2012-04-15, 01:24 PM
Vecna, Boccob and Wee Jas are probably my favourite deities. I am very much a fan of casters, as those choices might suggest.

Otherwise, racial deities, particularly ones in opposition to another, can be very interesting. Lolth and Corellon Larethian, as well as Garl Glittergold and Kurtulmak each have nice dynamics between one another.
Maglubiyet has a really cool name, dwells in Acheron (probably my favourite plane) and is the patron deity of goblinoids, so he's awesome.
No list of deities would be complete without Blibdoolpoolp, goddess of Kuo-Toa, if only because of that ridiculous name.

Can't think of any other great ones by name, off the top of my head.

RufusCorvus
2012-04-15, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the replies, everyone. And, because I need a short break from this research-paper-writing business I'm currently in, I've decided to tally up the responses thus far. I'm just counting up positive mentions. Just the deities, no liches or demon princes or squirrels in a dress (though I appreciate that input nonetheless).

Five or more mentions
Vecna: 5
Lolth: 6
Tiamat: 5
Asmodeus: 5
Cyric: 5

Four mentions
Moradin: 4
Corellon: 4
Wee Jas: 4

Three mentions
Pelor: 3
Heironeous: 3
Hextor: 3
Mystra: 3
Torm: 3
Auril: 3
Bane: 3

Two mentions
Selune: 2
Bahamut: 2
Eilistraee: 2
Helm: 2
Tharizdun: 2
Sune: 2
Deneir: 2
Olidammara: 2
Kord: 2
Red Knight: 2
St. Cuthbert: 2
Ilmater: 2

One mention
Ao: 1
Ulutiu: 1
Kelemvor: 1
The Silver Flame: 1
Celestian: 1
Trithereon: 1
Xan Yae: 1
Zouken: 1
Ehlonna: 1
Istus: 1
Phaulkon: 1
Rao: 1
Tymora: 1
Jergal: 1
Loviator: 1
Talona: 1
Mielikki: 1
Aerdrie Faenya: 1
Solonor Thelandira: 1
Deep Sashelas: 1
Flandal Steelskin: 1
Baervan Wildwanderer: 1
Arvoreen: 1
Urogalan: 1
Corean: 1
Madriel: 1
Tanil: 1
Enkili: 1
Chardun: 1
Belsameth: 1
Nemorga: 1
Erathis: 1
Tyr: 1
Shar: 1
Talos: 1
Malar: 1
Gruumsh: 1
Thor: 1
Paladine: 1
Takhisis: 1
Reorx: 1
Mishakal: 1
Gilean: 1
Oghma: 1
Velsharoon: 1
Zeboim: 1
Cayden Cailean: 1
Vheraun: 1
Boccob: 1
Garl Glittergold: 1
Kurtulmak: 1
Maglubiyet: 1
Blibdoolpoolp: 1

I might update this if there's continued strong response.

Thanks again, everyone.

Werekat
2012-04-15, 04:44 PM
My personal favorites - Boccob, Vandria Gilmadrith (yes, I know the lady gets a lot of flac, but the way I see elves, she fits in perfectly), and Elebrin Liothiel (because they need to get their food from somewhere). I play casters and elves, yes. :D

Communard
2012-04-15, 05:09 PM
Bhaal. It's a family thing.

The_Snark
2012-04-15, 05:14 PM
It's hard to say for sure, but I'd hazard a guess that Flarlanghn has the best traction. Good shoes are important when you do as much walking as he does—you don't want to be slipping and sliding around with every step.

Kidding aside, I have a soft spot for Eberron's Path of Inspiration.

Redshirt Army
2012-04-15, 05:32 PM
Assuming that Pathfinder counts...

Cayden Cailean. Flat out, best god ever.

Why?

God of Adventurers, Freedom, Bravery, Ale, and Wine. Who go his divinity by doing a drunken bet.

Otherwise, most of the setting dieties are terrible, IMO.

Seconded.

charlimit

hierophant
2012-04-15, 07:02 PM
Favourite ever? Umberlee from FR. Hands down the best title any deity has ever had.
Other contenders are Vecna and Wee Jas.
I find all the good deities fairly interchangeable. I'm (lawful/chaotic) and I like (healing/strength/whatever).
Neutral and evil deities tend to be slightly more interesting, I reckon.

Excession
2012-04-15, 07:51 PM
For me, Bane and Tiamat (4e core versions) are my favourite evil dieties. Partly becuase both of them have qualities that aren't entirely evil. There's some depth there, neutral characters can follow most of their ideals without instantly becoming evil.

Bane isn't the frothing horde of always choatic evil monster of the week, he's the prepared, practiced, ever vigilant soldier. It's just that he's prepared, practiced and ever-vigilant for violent wars of aggression and conquest that go a good bit beyond self defense.

Tiamat, beyond being a giant awesome dragon, is basically the goddess of killing people and taking their stuff. Isn't that what adventurers do anyway?

For good dieties I don't find the 4e ones espcially exciting, they seem a little two dimensional. Ilmatar and Llira from FR are more interesting to me.

Surrealistik
2012-04-15, 07:58 PM
Asmodeus is easily my fav amongst the Evil gods; love his cunning, urbane qualities, his status as the ultimate puppetmaster. The fact that he had a Samuel L Jackson 'Mother****ing snakes' moment with the Abyss, twirled it over his head, and booted it into the sun (bottom of the Elemental Chaos), thus ending the Blood War just makes him all the more awesome. Tharizdun and Bane are runners up. Vecna gets honourable mention.

I don't really care for most of the good gods; as others have stated they tend to be boring, though of them, Pelor, and Amaunator appeal the most.

Noedig
2012-04-15, 08:03 PM
How has Tymora only been mentioned once?:smallannoyed:
And her sister hasn't been mentioned at all.
Blasphemy.
Tymora in my opinion is queen in the Realms. Everyone needs luck, so everyone (G,E,L and C) at least pays her lip service. Sometimes you wish people to have bad fortune. Beshaba is your go-to-girl.
Even people who don't believe in luck, full-stop, give a nod to Tymora. It'd be stupid not to.

Aside from Tymora, the vengeance side of St. Cuthbert is pretty awesome. Sort of like someone got a bit of 40k in D&D.

Malimar
2012-04-15, 08:04 PM
Pelor is usually the go-to god for PC clerics (because he's so healing- and turning-focused, and the groups I play with don't tend to be high-op enough to make non-healing-and-turning-focused clerics.)

Vecna is the go-to god for Mysterious Cults.

I've got a DM who loves Olidammara because he's so easy to make plots about. "An elaborate prank" and "for the lulz" are the only phrases you need to know to justify anything Olidammara or his followers ever do.

And Tiamat's just classy.

boomwolf
2012-04-15, 08:39 PM
Pelor, as the burning hatred, not his usual self, is probably the most badass DnD deity ever.

Vecna is interesting, so are Lolth, Tiamat, Ao, Hextor and Bane...

Alleran
2012-04-15, 10:44 PM
Favourite ever? Umberlee from FR. Hands down the best title any deity has ever had.
The Bitch Queen?

Eh, not really a fan. For my part, I'll say Cayden Cailean, Shaundakul, Wee Jas, Sharess (can't go wrong with Sharess :smallbiggrin:), Mystra, Vecna for having the sneakiest god-blooded template ever (you can't actually get it without his agreement!), and maybe Bahamut as an outlier. Honourable mention to Velsharoon (getting Talos to sponsor him as a deity, then stabbing him in the back, then running to Mystra and Azuth for protection, and getting away with it all), and to Zeus for being Zeus (he's statted out, so he counts).

Also, anybody who says Pelor had better be talking about The Burning Hate.

Agrippa
2012-04-15, 11:01 PM
Two pages already and no one else mentions Murlynd (http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Murlynd)? I'm kind of disappointed.

erikun
2012-04-15, 11:13 PM
I will mention the Raven Queen as my favorite new deity in D&D4, as well. My first character was a warlord dedicated to her, and she seems like a rather fun deity to RP for (if a bit bland and stereotypical).

Eldan
2012-04-15, 11:16 PM
I must say that I barely know the names of the FR gods. I've heard about the domain of one or two of them, but I never much cared about the setting.

I mainly know the gods in the PHB for 3.5, and even for most of those only the short description.

OUt of those, I'd say Vecna and Wee Jas, as I have read at least a bit about them. Apart from that, I know the various Pseudo-gods like arch devils and demon lords pretty well.

And a few of the real mythological gods used in D&D, of course. The Greeks, the Celts, the Egyptians, the Chinese and Japanese gods...

kieza
2012-04-16, 12:27 AM
I'm a fan of any that can't be summed up as "Like <Insert greco-roman deity> with a different name." In 3.5, Hextor was basically Ares, Heironeous was arguably Athena, Moradin had some parallels with Hephaestus, and so on. Wee Jas was marginally interesting, and I kind of liked the weird faiths like the Path of Inspiration and Blood of Vol from Eberron.

My homebrew setting has an odd approach to religion, partly because of this. One of the few things theologians agree upon is that it's impossible, or at least hard and dangerous, for a mortal to know the name of a god. So, all of the gods in this setting are only referred to by titles and poetic epithets, e.g. "The Lawmaker," "The Veiled," or "The Bright Lady." One major source of religious conflict is whether some of the minor gods are actually just obscure titles of major gods, being worshipped as a distinct religion. This is helped along by the fact that the gods have never shown up in person or provided a provable miracle, and the angels who supposedly serve them refuse to say anything on the matter.

Welknair
2012-04-16, 03:50 AM
I'm a fan of Io... Surprised no one else has mentioned him.

Acanous
2012-04-16, 07:18 AM
Murlynd, for being the first PC to become a god.
Bahamut, for being so awesome, he invaded other gaming systems.
Moradin, because he's so cool even some drow worship him.
Also, whomever said "Mordin", I'd second that, if he was a god.I am the very model of a scientist salarian
Hextor is probably the best god for evil adventurers to worship. There's very little you'd do as an adventurer that he'd disapprove of.

DogbertLinc
2012-04-16, 11:28 AM
Bahamut, Tiamat, Tharizdun, Selune, Corellon, Xerbo, Lolth. Because these are the ones that have showed up in games for me.

And then the Norse/Celtic gods, because I live the mythology.

ScionoftheVoid
2012-04-16, 01:13 PM
It's been mentioned now, and reminded me, that Pelor, as the Burning Hate, is rather interesting. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19558798/Pelor,_the_Burning_Hate) His default presentation is bland and really not very inspiring, to me at least.

MukkTB
2012-04-16, 01:25 PM
Pelor - Classic good god. The symbolism of the sun w/o serious L/C connection provides a easy rallying point for people trying to be heroes. He isn't complicated or morally ambiguous by default.

Vecna - When you want something evil and nasty Vecna works. Mostly I remember him from KODT.

Gruumsh - Another straightforward guy. Hes unlikely to be behind the BBEG, but the BBEGs orc mooks? Yeah.

Kord - Krom

Alleran
2012-04-16, 06:58 PM
Pelor - Classic good god. The symbolism of the sun w/o serious L/C connection provides a easy rallying point for people trying to be heroes. He isn't complicated or morally ambiguous by default.
*cough* (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19558798/Pelor,_the_Burning_Hate)

Check out his holy symbol in comparison with Zarus, too. It looks like Zarus just grew a beard and made one or two minor stylistic changes.

Io always felt a bit too detached to me, so it falls under the same auspices as Chronepsis.

Oh, and I'll add Kelemvor to my list. After he became a more LN god of death, that is.

Morithias
2012-04-16, 07:02 PM
Estanna, Laisai, and Loviator are my personal favorites from 3rd edition.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-04-16, 07:10 PM
In Eberron I am big Fan of Balinor and the Host in general, they are really interesting themselves, though The Traveller is quite fun and interesting too.

RufusCorvus
2012-04-17, 07:57 PM
List update! With more levels because it was getting kind of top-heavy.

Ten or more mentions

Vecna: 12

Seven to nine mentions

Tiamat: 9
Lolth: 8
Wee Jas: 7

Six mentions

Asmodeus: 6
Bane: 6
Pelor: 6

Five mentions

Moradin: 5
Hextor: 5
Bahamut: 5
Corellon: 5

Four mentions

Mystra: 4
Tharizdun: 4

Three mentions

Torm: 3
St. Cuthbert: 3
Olidammara: 3
Cayden Cailean: 3
Selune: 3
Kord: 3

Two mentions

Sune: 2
Boccob: 2
Tymora: 2
Ao: 2
Path of Inspiration: 2
Murlynd: 2
Pelor, the Burning Hate: 2
Gruumsh: 2
Kelemvor: 2
Loviator: 2

One mention

The Silver Flame: 1
Mielikki: 1
Arvoreen: 1
Tyr: 1
Talos: 1
Malar: 1
Garl Glittergold: 1
Vandria Gilmadrith: 1
Elebrin Liothiel: 1
Bhaal: 1
Umberlee: 1
Amaunator: 1
Beshaba: 1
Sharess: 1
Zeus: 1
Shaundakul: 1
The Raven Queen: 1
Blood of Vol: 1
Io: 1
Xerbo: 1
Estanna: 1
Laisai: 1
Balinor: 1
The Traveler: 1

Maryring
2012-04-18, 04:49 PM
I have a certain fondness for Mystra myself. I really don't like the racial gods, except maybe Yondalla and Arvoreen, but that might be because I like Halflings as a race. I also like Aramunator. I am also very torn about Helm, who swings from being very much disliked, to seeming pretty cool.

Telonius
2012-04-20, 01:30 PM
My personal favorites are "gods of the road" or trickster types. Fharlanghn, Olidammara, Garl Glittergold, The Traveler (Eberron). Selune and Sune are nice too.

Never had any support for it, as far as I'm aware, but I always thought the Xammux (BoVD) would be a great deity to have as an antagonist.

Winter
2012-04-20, 02:06 PM
Lathander, Tyr, Talos, and for style and awesomeness: Selūne.

Ao is technically no "god", he is a Gods' God and as such another class of being.

Adindra
2012-04-20, 05:26 PM
Thanks to the intervention of my players i typically allow for almost any pantheon on my game (including homebrew ones that i ok)

but my personal favorites are probobly
Afflux (blood for the blood god)
Nerull (idk if its in the fluff but in my worlds hes always seated on a skull throne)
Evening Glory (for sneaking necromancy past those pesky good types)
Any of the Asgaurdian Pantheon (i always make sure they have their temples in my games) {because the first cleric i had a hand in building was a dwarven cleric of Tyr from this pantheon}

Hiro Protagonest
2012-04-20, 06:50 PM
I'm a fan of any that can't be summed up as "Like <Insert greco-roman deity> with a different name." In 3.5, Hextor was basically Ares, Heironeous was arguably Athena, Moradin had some parallels with Hephaestus, and so on. Wee Jas was marginally interesting, and I kind of liked the weird faiths like the Path of Inspiration and Blood of Vol from Eberron.

My homebrew setting has an odd approach to religion, partly because of this. One of the few things theologians agree upon is that it's impossible, or at least hard and dangerous, for a mortal to know the name of a god. So, all of the gods in this setting are only referred to by titles and poetic epithets, e.g. "The Lawmaker," "The Veiled," or "The Bright Lady." One major source of religious conflict is whether some of the minor gods are actually just obscure titles of major gods, being worshipped as a distinct religion. This is helped along by the fact that the gods have never shown up in person or provided a provable miracle, and the angels who supposedly serve them refuse to say anything on the matter.
...Hextor is too lawful for Ares, Ares is the only Greek god that can even be given an alignment with more confidence than "tentative", and that alignment is CE. He *might* have some connections with Mars, but Mars is less evil.

I only like 4e Io.

On that note, 4e's default setting has Bane. And he's a lot cooler than FR Bane, if only because of Chernoggar.

AslanCross
2012-04-22, 08:12 PM
FR: Torm and Bane. Bhaal was also up there thanks to Baldur's Gate.
Eberron: Silver Flame. It's awesome that its church can double as an ally or as a villainous organization.

Tiamat is a great villain in any setting. Even if Dragonlance insists Takhisis != Tiamat, I think they're close enough in terms of ideology and appearance to be interchangeable.

Urpriest
2012-04-22, 08:53 PM
I have to mention Wee Jas to keep her numbers up, and Murlynd because the dude is an early Roland Deschain. I've got a soft spot for Malar but mostly because of various awesome stuff out there for his worshippers. Iuz only as a sneaky way to include Iggwilv, who is cooler than most gods despite not being one.

The Aboleth pantheon is actually really cool, and some of the better-written fluff in Lords of Madness IMO. Also, thanks to the guy who mentioned Xammux, I had forgotten about that thing.

Alleran
2012-04-22, 10:30 PM
I have to mention Wee Jas to keep her numbers up...
Cayden Cailean isn't getting enough respect in this thread.

Endarire
2012-04-22, 11:46 PM
Eberron
I remember the Silver Flame due to DDO's respawners being Silver Flamers. The Sovereign Host is, again, DDO, but also due to the Sovereign Speaker PrC. I remember the Dark Six because of the somewhat silly name, "Dark Six." Individual deities aren't worth remembering unless they grant me stats.

Greyhawk
Due to being around Greyhawk deities the most, these ones come to mind: Fharlangh, St. Cuthbert, Pelor!, Boccob, Vecna, and Wee Jas. (The last one for the Ruby Knight Vindicator class.)

Faerun
I remember Mystra for the Initiate of Mystra feat and the Cheater of Mystra build. I remember Mielikki for the "heavy metal Druid" phenomenon. (She lets Druids wear metal armor.) I remember Shar for the Twice-Betrayer of Shar build. The others are pretty insignificant to me due to their lack of spiffy stats.

RufusCorvus
2012-04-23, 01:16 PM
I suppose an update is in order.

Ten or more mentions

Vecna: 13
Tiamat: 10

Seven to nine mentions

Wee Jas: 9
Lolth: 8
Bane: 8
Pelor: 7

Six mentions

Asmodeus: 6
Mystra: 6

Five mentions

Moradin: 5
Hextor: 5
Bahamut: 5
Corellon: 5
Selune: 5

Four mentions

Tharizdun: 4
Olidammara: 4
Torm: 4
Cayden Cailean: 4
St. Cuthbert: 4

Three mentions

Kord: 3
Sune: 3
Murlynd: 3
The Silver Flame: 3
Boccob: 3

Two mentions

Tymora: 2
Ao: 2
Path of Inspiration: 2
Pelor, the Burning Hate: 2
Gruumsh: 2
Kelemvor: 2
Loviator: 2
Arvoreen: 2
Amaunator: 2
The Traveler: 2
Garl Glittergold: 2
Tyr: 2
Io: 2
Bhaal: 2
Takhisis: 2
Talos: 2
Malar: 2
Xammux: 2
Fharlanghn: 2
Mielikki: 2

One mention

Vandria Gilmadrith: 1
Elebrin Liothiel: 1
Umberlee: 1
Beshaba: 1
Sharess: 1
Zeus: 1
Shaundakul: 1
The Raven Queen: 1
Blood of Vol: 1
Xerbo: 1
Estanna: 1
Laisai: 1
Balinor: 1
Yondalla: 1
Lathander: 1
Afflux: 1
Nerull: 1
Evening Glory: 1
Iuz: 1
The Sovereign Host: 1
The Dark Six: 1

Winter
2012-04-23, 01:27 PM
Btw, it's Selūne. Those thingies need to go where they belong (just like in Faerūn etc). :smallbiggrin:

RufusCorvus
2012-04-23, 01:45 PM
I don't believe in the circumflex. :smallcool:

Pronounceable
2012-04-24, 07:45 AM
Bane, Lloth, Cyric, Vecna, Helm, Mystra and Tiamat are all obviously iconic of DnD. Bhaal is also very famous thanks to BG series.

If only Gork and Mork were DnD... They have the biggest traction evar.

Malachei
2012-05-02, 09:37 AM
Tharizdun.

Calanon
2012-05-03, 02:44 AM
Whenever a Mystra dies magic is completely changed in some way shape and form (Hell this change is so powerful that sometimes magic stops working) so I'd say that the tender to the weave (whomever she is) has the most traction in any edition. :smalltongue:

Nai_Calus
2012-05-03, 10:52 AM
Corellon Larethian. Obviously.

Tamer Leon
2012-05-04, 11:18 PM
She has no name, and yet all pay her respect.
By her whim do farmers slay gods and heroes fall; her favor is as fickle as the tides, coming and going as easily as breath.

She never answers prayers, but when it comes down to it, she controls all.

She simply answers to... The Lady.

Calanon
2012-05-05, 12:43 AM
She has no name, and yet all pay her respect.
By her whim do farmers slay gods and heroes fall; her favor is as fickle as the tides, coming and going as easily as breath.

She never answers prayers, but when it comes down to it, she controls all.

She simply answers to... The Lady.

O lips full of lust and of laughter,
Curled snakes that are fed from my breast,
Bite hard, lest remembrance come after
And press with new lips where you pressed.
For my heart too springs up at the pressure,
Mine eyelids too moisten and burn;
Ah, feed me and fill me with pleasure,
Ere pain come in turn.

Translation:

Cause I may be bad, but I'm perfectly good at it
Death in the air, I don't care, I love the smell of it
swords and spears may break my soul
But spells and war excite me!

-Ri-hannah, The Songstress of Undeath (Bard/5 Dirgesinger/5)

Lets face it we all know who and what the Lady of Pain is based on and I just find it down right offensive that nobody pokes fun at it... :smalltongue: Shes based on a Dominatrix