PDA

View Full Version : Legacy Weapons [3.PF]

Mari01
2012-04-13, 06:44 PM
Would legacy weapons be worth it if the drawbacks were gotten rid of? Other than the feat and/or gold cost of course. Would they be too powerful then?

Gavinfoxx
2012-04-13, 07:01 PM
Getting rid of the drawbacks entirely and maybe removing the feat costs and making them just cost gold and customizing the abilities to the character in question seems to be about right. Items are supposed to increase the power of characters and are an overt reward system, after all.

Mari01
2012-04-13, 07:29 PM
I was thinking that if your character took the time to do the required ritual, they would get the feat as a bonus and the weapon abilities up to that point. Rinse and repeat.

The-Mage-King
2012-04-13, 08:55 PM
The feat is already a bonus. FYI.

But dropping the penalties alone might work for making them better. Not the rituals' gold cost, but just the penalties to stats.

Roncorps
2012-04-13, 10:58 PM
I looked at Weapons of Legacy and saw that the abilities were quite diversified ! But, I thought that the process of making one was pain in the ...

I know it's 3.0 material, but in Oriental Adventures/Rokugan, the book Magic of Rokugan give rule for something called Ancestral Daisho. They are weapons/armor that can get power like normal magic weapons/armor, but not as diversified as the one in WoL. The system use 3 things to work :

1. XP
2. Gold
3. [Feat] Craft Magic Arms and Armor

You could use this system to work with a WoL. It's between what WoL is and what was offer with Legendary Weapons in Unearthed Arcana (needing you to have a Scion prestige class). The weapons/armor got Int/Wis/Cha and Ego, like old Artifact in the time (AD&D and +)

I'm posting the Ancestral Daisho chart from Magic of Rokugan. It is OGC.

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/2105/ancestraldaisho.gif

Hiro Protagonest
2012-04-13, 11:15 PM
I looked at Weapons of Legacy and saw that the abilities were quite diversified ! But, I thought that the process of making one was pain in the ...

I know it's 3.0 material, but in Oriental Adventures/Rokugan, the book Magic of Rokugan give rule for something called Ancestral Daisho. They are weapons/armor that can get power like normal magic weapons/armor, but not as diversified as the one in WoL. The system use 3 things to work :

1. XP
2. Gold
3. [Feat] Craft Magic Arms and Armor

You could use this system to work with a WoL. It's between what WoL is and what was offer with Legendary Weapons in Unearthed Arcana (needing you to have a Scion prestige class). The weapons/armor got Int/Wis/Cha and Ego, like old Artifact in the time (AD&D and +)

I'm posting the Ancestral Daisho chart from Magic of Rokugan. It is OGC.

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/2105/ancestraldaisho.gif

That's not just 3.0. That's also not official.

Roncorps
2012-04-13, 11:20 PM
I know that it is not pure product from WotC but licensed one, but that don't make it crap and useless either as it is under the d20 system. I know they are case of licensed product being crappy, but not everything is.

The point here is the way the system of Daisho is working and to make a parallel to a way to change how acquiring/upgrading WoL could be done.

alchemyprime
2012-04-13, 11:30 PM
I've found it works best when you have:
No penalties
You still do the rituals
The rituals follow one of three paths.
{table=head]Item Type|1st Ritual Cost|2nd Ritual Cost|3rd Ritual Cost
Armor|2,500 gp|12,500 gp|40,500 gp
Weapon|3,500 gp|13,500 gp|43,000 gp
Wondrous Item|2,300 gp|12,700 gp|40,500 gp[/table]

At least, those were the costs we used. Made them standard between Legacy Weapon, Legacy Armor and Legacy Items. We had two guys with Legacy Swords, and another with Legacy Armor. The wizard had lost his Legacy Item (the Bright Evening Star. He liked it), but sadly my having to move interrupted the game. We found those worked pretty well, though; Ritual + Gold = Bonus Feat, and that made everything easier. Plus, it made the new villain kinda cool when he had the feats for Bright Evening Star and was using it too.