PDA

View Full Version : Master Spellthief + Sublime Chord shenanigans

Arakune
2012-04-13, 06:44 PM
This is my proposed build. I want to know if it is viable, and even if it isn't how much CL do I get out of this monstrosity. Ignore XP penalties from multiclassing and infinity in the build.

Wizard 5/Bard 1/Spellthief 1/Knight of the Weave 1/Sublime Chord 1/Ultimate Magus 10

kulosle
2012-04-13, 09:20 PM
So explain what you are expecting this to do and where is Knight of the Weave from?

Kuulvheysoon
2012-04-13, 09:42 PM
So explain what you are expecting this to do and where is Knight of the Weave from?

Knight of the Weave is a FR-specific class from... Power of Faerun?

Master Spellthief is an.... interestingly worded feat from Complete Scoundrel that allows some loose interpretations on CL stacking rules.

Jack_Simth
2012-04-13, 09:47 PM
This is my proposed build. I want to know if it is viable, and even if it isn't how much CL do I get out of this monstrosity. Ignore XP penalties from multiclassing and infinity in the build.

Wizard 5/Bard 1/Spellthief 1/Knight of the Weave 1/Sublime Chord 1/Ultimate Magus 10
Let's see... Wizard-5, obvious - get 3rd level Arcane Spells.
Bard-1, obvious, need bardic music for Sublime Chord.
Spellthief + Master Spellthief: I'm guessing the point is making all casting stack? There's a catch: The wording is "Your spellthief and arcane spellcaster levels also stack when determining your caster level for all arcane spells. " - even under the somewhat generous interpretation that Ultimate Magus is an Arcane Spellcasting class, you're only stacking spellcaster levels in the actual classes, which means your caster level tops off at 20.
Knight of the Weave: We have the first problem: At this point, you don't have the ability to spontaneously cast 3rd level spells. They're prepared. Nor do you have BAB+5 at this point. There's certain shenanigans you can pull to get that, so we'll ignore it for now. The big thing you seem to be after is that your Knight of the Weave caster level is equal to the sum of your other arcane caster levels, plus Knight of the Weave.
Sublime Chord: Another problem: Skill rank requirements here prevent it from being taken before 11th level. You have to have 13 ranks in certain skills, so you qualify with your tenth level, and can take this at 11th. You're taking it for your 9th level, that doesn't work. There's certain shenanigans you can pull off to bypass this, so we'll ignore it for now. Again, like Knight of the Weave, the big bonus is that you get to pick one arcane casting class for which caster level stacks (plus it's your casting chassis workhorse).
Ultimate Magus: Obviously, because of the dual progression of caster levels.

If we ignore the problems... you've got a caster level of about 40 for your workhorse spells, I think....