PDA

View Full Version : Sonic Mailman - Statting a BBEG

Red_Dog
2012-04-14, 12:44 AM
Hello All ^^

I decided to finally try to stat one of my "antagonists" in the campaign which is =>

An Air Goblin Sorc who uses Primarily Sonic spells and nick named[in character] "Sonic Sax".

Currently I am working to options =>

Howling Dragon blooded Dragon Heart mage=>
Dragonblood Sorcerer 10/Dragonheart Mage 10
*I am NOT using spell-like ability sub. It says, he CAN, not MUST*
Bonus feats Howling Dragon heritage, Breath,
Pros=> A lot more feats[Arcane Grace, Power, Legacy], 3d6/lvl Sonic breath is snazzy, Howling Dragon Legacy is flavorful.
Cons=> terrible terrible losses on "Spell's known" front... At this rate getting only Towering Thunderhead as lvl9 spell. While a lot of lvl9 slots will metamagic'ed lower spells... still having things like Time Stop or Maw of Chaos[w/ born of three thunders, energy sub giving 2 free lvls to "metamagic" it] on the whim is nice...

Howling Dragon blooded Wild Mage=>
Dragonblood Sorcerer 10/Wildmage 10
Pros=> No spell losses! Actual Class features! They aren't great but something... Overall, its really the no spell loss without being 1-20 sorc
Cons=>DREADED magic aptitude... I mean REALLY? basically one less feat is BAD.. may be not as bad as loss of spells... but still bad.

What other PrC that can go well for Sorc? I really do not want to try to get into wizard classes [Mage of Arcane order and etc.] as its just not THIS character. Both above options fit this character really well [maniacal, power hungry, balor backtalking lunatic who is still sane enough to plan, and scheme]. But I guess I might have missed a goo PrC in the books somewhere. Perhaps the class has a lot of feats?, Vile Darkness, Dragonomicon and Savage Species in play.

=========================================>
What I need help with?=>

[B]Spell Selection. I was thinking 50% of all spells => dmg[I have few sonic once lined up, but help welcomed ^^ Sonic, Electro & Force is what I am shooting for], and 50% is a bag of dirty tricks, from basics[teleport, etc.] to horrible[celerity w/ quick recovery]. I do need help here, as its one of the few actually half-optimized magic users in my campaign. I do not want him completely unbeatable, just really really really scary, capable taking parts of armies by himself. This is something I do need help with.

Feats & Metamagic. Depending on a build, comments are welcome as always ^^
Current 4 Load-outs that on my mind for either builds would look like this=>
Draconic Heritage, Widen, Chain Spell[chain sonic lance combo], Energy Sub[Electro], Born of Three Thunders, Twin Spell or Repeat Spell[not sure which], Practical Metamagic[most likely Chain], Rapid Metamagic.
OR
Draconic Heritage[Bonus], Widen, Chain Spell[chain sonic lance combo], Twin Spell or Repeat Spell[not sure which], Practical Metamagic[most likely Chain], Rapid Metamagic, Residual Metamagic, Arcane Thesis[Cacophonic Burst or Sound Lance].
OR
Draconic Heritage[Bonus], Widen, Repeat Spell, Practical Metamagic[Repeat], Rapid Metamagic, Residual Metamagic, Force of Personality, Quicken Recovery.
OR
Draconic Heritage[Bonus], Widen, Repeat Spell, Force of Personality, Quicken Recovery, Energy Sub[Electro], Born of Three Thunders, Arcane Thesis[Cacophonic Burst or Greater Arcane Fusion].
*Last two, is more for Celerity/Born of Three Thunders Abuse*

[B]Items. I have an artifact in mind for him, but from basics I though Third Eye Clarity[to dodge daze from his spells] and few metamagc rods and those terrible sonic sea shells[free widen if no other metamagic is used]. But by enlarge, he doesn't really on items TOO much.

=========================================>

So there we have we it... I do hope for most help on spell selection & metamagic combos, as its always the issue. The goal is to deal enough damage to take out units of 60-80 Hp creatures without issues. If that can be done with relative easy and persistence, than using Celerity[and perhaps adding quick recovery & force of personality, for potential dual actions] to do that again the same turn.

So yeah... a Sonic Mailman. ^^ Thanks for reading, and I hope for some help! ^^

erikun
2012-04-14, 01:09 AM
The goal of mailman is to stack metamagic cheaply, which means metamagic reducers. Without those, you're basically just looking at a blasting sorcerer with a sonic flavor. If that's what you want, you might just look at a basic sorcerer with the Energy Substitution [Sonic] feat applied to everything - or just a Psion (Kineticist), who can select sonic-type damage for all their blast spells.

I doubt this character will be taking out "armies". Most mailman builds focus on a single-target, direct-damage spell to enhance. A Swiftblade/Abjurant Champion would probably be a better choice if you want to kill off large numbers of opponents quickly, assuming you don't want to be a summoner.

Don't give the character an artifact or any item that you don't want the party to have afterwards - because they will certainly be looting the body.

Note that a Destrachan (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/destrachan.htm) or a Yrthak (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/yrthak.htm) are some interesting companions for a sonic-themed caster. The latter could even make a nice flying mount, depending on the intended CR of the encounter.

Rapidghoul
2012-04-15, 02:25 AM
If you're going for a dragonblooded sonic mage, why not go for Dracolexi instead of Dragonheart Mage? So much more thematic; you get bonus Power Word spells, language-based spells, and (most importantly) Draconic Words that give you super powers based on language. You could easily refluff it so instead of valignat (burn) you could give it something like vebren (roar) to do the same effect but for sonic instead of fire. It also fulfills the metamagic bit of the mailman (valignat gives empower/widen, ssearth gives extend). Plus, Voice in Silence is kind of perfect for assuring your super-powered mage doesn't get screwed over by Silence or a deaf adventurer.