PDA

View Full Version : Touch spells and Holding the charge?? Help pls

shaga
2012-04-14, 01:09 AM
From PHB page 175 under the "Range" paragraph:

"Touch: You must touch a creature or object to affect it. A touch spell that deals damage can score a critical hit just as a weapon can. A touch spell threatens a critical hit on a natural roll of 20 and deals double damage on a successful critical hit. Some touch spells, such as teleport and water walk, allow you to touch multiple targets. You can touch as many willing targets as you can reach as part of the casting, but all targets of the spell must be touched in the same round that you finish casting the spell."

Form PHB page 176 under the "Duration" paragraph for spells:

"Touch Spells and Holding the Charge: In most cases, if you don’t discharge a touch spell on the round you cast it, you can hold the charge (postpone the discharge of the spell) indefinitely. You can make touch attacks round after round. If you cast another spell, the touch spell dissipates. Some touch spells, such as teleport and water walk, allow you to touch multiple targets as part of the spell. You can’t hold the charge of such a spell; you must touch all targets of the spell in the same round that you finish casting the spell."

My questions are these:
1. Can you cast inflict wounds light (an instantaneous spell) on a target and if you miss the touch attack, hold the charge and repeat the touch attack again and again until you succeed in the touch attack??
1.b If you do hold the charge after a missed touch attack, are you considered armed with the charge on your hand? even if you dont have other weapons? Do you have a threating area and there for AoO.
2. Can you cast inflict wounds light and choose NOT to make the touch attack on the same round but hold the charge for later??

Initially (before seeing the "touch spells and holding the charge" section) I thought you can only hold the charge of a touch spell if the spell has a duration longer than instantaneous, like Touch of idiocy OR if the spell allows for multiple touch attacks per level, like chill touch but now I am not so sure. Still I thing if you miss on your touch attack the spell cant hold the charge. If you miss the spells touch attack it discharges harmlessly, because you missed and touched the wall next to your target or his shield or something else.

APersonAmI
2012-04-14, 01:43 AM
From PHB page 175 under the "Range" paragraph:

"Touch: You must touch a creature or object to affect it. A touch spell that deals damage can score a critical hit just as a weapon can. A touch spell threatens a critical hit on a natural roll of 20 and deals double damage on a successful critical hit. Some touch spells, such as teleport and water walk, allow you to touch multiple targets. You can touch as many willing targets as you can reach as part of the casting, but all targets of the spell must be touched in the same round that you finish casting the spell."

Form PHB page 176 under the "Duration" paragraph for spells:

"Touch Spells and Holding the Charge: In most cases, if you don’t discharge a touch spell on the round you cast it, you can hold the charge (postpone the discharge of the spell) indefinitely. You can make touch attacks round after round. If you cast another spell, the touch spell dissipates. Some touch spells, such as teleport and water walk, allow you to touch multiple targets as part of the spell. You can’t hold the charge of such a spell; you must touch all targets of the spell in the same round that you finish casting the spell."

My questions are these:
1. Can you cast inflict wounds light (an instantaneous spell) on a target and if you miss the touch attack, hold the charge and repeat the touch attack again and again until you succeed in the touch attack??
1.b If you do hold the charge after a missed touch attack, are you considered armed with the charge on your hand? even if you dont have other weapons? Do you have a threating area and there for AoO.
2. Can you cast inflict wounds light and choose NOT to make the touch attack on the same round but hold the charge for later??

Initially (before seeing the "touch spells and holding the charge" section) I thought you can only hold the charge of a touch spell if the spell has a duration longer than instantaneous, like Touch of idiocy OR if the spell allows for multiple touch attacks per level, like chill touch but now I am not so sure. Still I thing if you miss on your touch attack the spell cant hold the charge. If you miss the spells touch attack it discharges harmlessly, because you missed and touched the wall next to your target or his shield or something else.

1: Yes, you can try to hit with it until the point that you either use it up or cast another spell.
1b: While I can't remember where, I know there are abilities that specifically make it possible to take AoO's with touch attacks. If you don't have an ability that specifically gives you AoO's with spells, I'd say no.*Edit*: Incorrect: Check post under this one.
2: Yes, you could. You don't need to miss with it to keep it, it remains until discharged.

candycorn
2012-04-14, 02:52 AM
1b: Yes. If you already have the spell cast, and are holding a charge, you threaten as normal, and can make AoO's with the touch spell. The feat that is suggested allow you to cast and deliver a touch spell as an AoO. Without the feat, you may deliver an AoO with a touch spell, but you may not cast the spell as part of that AoO.

APersonAmI
2012-04-14, 02:55 AM
1b: Yes. If you already have the spell cast, and are holding a charge, you threaten as normal, and can make AoO's with the touch spell. The feat that is suggested allow you to cast and deliver a touch spell as an AoO. Without the feat, you may deliver an AoO with a touch spell, but you may not cast the spell as part of that AoO.

I am corrected, then. I apologize for the incorrect information:smallredface:

Dairuga
2012-04-14, 06:00 PM
Pardon me if I am being stupid, but there is a feat out there that lets you both cast, and use a touch spell as an AoO? I apologize profusely if I am being downright blind, but the people above says "The feat that was suggested", and I cannot for the life of me find this feat.

What feat is it that is being spoken of? I would truly enjoy giving it a look, as it looks like a highly delectable feat to take.

Autopsibiofeeder
2012-04-14, 06:54 PM
Pardon me if I am being stupid, but there is a feat out there that lets you both cast, and use a touch spell as an AoO? I apologize profusely if I am being downright blind, but the people above says "The feat that was suggested", and I cannot for the life of me find this feat.

What feat is it that is being spoken of? I would truly enjoy giving it a look, as it looks like a highly delectable feat to take.

Hmmm, Opportunity power (http://dndsrd.net/psionicFeats.html#opportunity-power) does it for psions. I do not recall an equivalent for 'magic' users, but I would not be surprised if it is out there.

Curmudgeon
2012-04-14, 07:04 PM
The instantaneous effect of Inflict Light Wounds is to charge your body. After that you can deliver the charge in any way that works for you (a touch attack, an unarmed smack, or other natural weapons if you've got them).