PDA

View Full Version : Help with psion/wizard build please

shaga
2012-04-14, 02:02 AM
I am making a psion/wizard character and planing to take the prestige class Psychic Theurge later but my group is full of rogues and they are chaotic neutral with tendencies towards evil, so I want to take some ranks in spot/listen and maybe even sense motive, to avoid being tricked/robed all the time.
Is there a prestige class that would give me those skills and add caster levels on the wizard side, that doesn't require a level in rogue already??

Calanon
2012-04-14, 02:17 AM
I am making a psion/wizard character and planing to take the prestige class Psychic Theurge later

I think you mean Cerebremancer :smallconfused: and I believe Wizard/Erudite is the most common way to go on that build

my group is full of rogues and they are chaotic neutral with tendencies towards evil, so I want to take some ranks in spot/listen and maybe even sense motive, to avoid being tricked/robed all the time.

Detect thoughts "Oh Billy, stealing from me right now of all times would just be foolish... especially since I prepared explosive runes on each coin in that bag"

Hirax
2012-04-14, 02:43 AM
The planar touchstone feat allows you to grab any cleric domain power. The sky domain makes spot a class skill.

Feralventas
2012-04-14, 04:54 AM
I am making a psion/wizard character and planing to take the prestige class Psychic Theurge later but my group is full of rogues and they are chaotic neutral with tendencies towards evil, so I want to take some ranks in spot/listen and maybe even sense motive, to avoid being tricked/robed all the time.
Is there a prestige class that would give me those skills and add caster levels on the wizard side, that doesn't require a level in rogue already??

Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, and other social interaction skills do not, IIRC work in RAW against other players; if they're going to lie and cheat against you, they must do so with wits rather than dice and numbers.

That said, keep your eyes open; just because they can't use their dice doesn't mean they won't still try it, it just means that you'll need to take the ranks Yourself :3.

That said, a dip into rogue or something like it will let you go into Spell Warp Sniper for a low cost and a good set of skills. I'd say Unseen Seer, but that's aimed more at Rogues with a 'caster dip than 'Casters with a Rogue dip.

Urpriest
2012-04-14, 01:44 PM
In all honesty unless this is a campaign with a focus on PvP they shouldn't tricking and robbing you. Talking to them out of game will be a much more efficient solution.

FMArthur
2012-04-14, 03:16 PM
Inquisitor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#inquisitor) seems like it'd be a pretty useful psionic feat, but honestly in this group the whole thing sounds like a lost cause because they will try to beat it and probably succeed. Take the Eidetic Spellcaster ACF to go without a spellbook and spend money on grafts or something similarly permanent after you've bought the spells you need at each level (which are stored in your mind).

Randomguy
2012-04-14, 05:46 PM
A 1st level spell can help you out: It's called hoard gullet, from dragon magic (I think). Just swallow all your valuables. There's no way to get at them without dispelling the spell. Shrink item will also help, since you can only store things you can actually swallow.

Sadly, you can't take the stuff out one at a time, you need to do it all at once. Applying the transdimensional spell metamagic feat to mage hand should let you take it out, though.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-04-14, 05:58 PM
A 1st level spell can help you out: It's called hoard gullet, from dragon magic (I think). Just swallow all your valuables. There's no way to get at them without dispelling the spell. Shrink item will also help, since you can only store things you can actually swallow.

Sadly, you can't take the stuff out one at a time, you need to do it all at once. Applying the transdimensional spell metamagic feat to mage hand should let you take it out, though.

Does this work? If so, it's equal parts awesome and horrifying.

AFB, but doesn't the spell create a miniature Bag of Holding? Transdimensional spells cross dimensional barriers (Ethereal, Shadow, etc...) but I don't think that it would in this case.

Autopsibiofeeder
2012-04-14, 07:04 PM
Does this work? If so, it's equal parts awesome and horrifying.

AFB, but doesn't the spell create a miniature Bag of Holding? Transdimensional spells cross dimensional barriers (Ethereal, Shadow, etc...) but I don't think that it would in this case.

In my copy, the spell does not mention any 'transdimensionality'.

Randomguy
2012-04-14, 07:47 PM
"It otherwise functions as a bag of holding", so it should work. I guess the DM calls it.

Cor1
2012-04-14, 08:16 PM
"Extraplanar Stomach Pocket accessed with Transdimensional Mage Hand."

It's... beautiful... ;_;