PDA

View Full Version : How does Malack do it?

Kaeso
2012-04-14, 06:00 AM
In the lastest panel all of the members of the new and improved Linear guild are suspended in the air. Tarquin is riding his winged mount, Sabine and the kobold have wings of his own, Nale is supported by his "devil-whore" and Zz'dtri has probably cast either fly or overland flight on himself. The question remains: how does Malack stay suspended in the air? The Cleric spell list (especially in core, which seems to be what most of the OotS-verse is based on) has no flight spells. The only spell that comes even close is air walk, which allows the caster to stand on air rather than actually fly. So, in conclusion, I'd like to know what spell Malack is using.

Man on Fire
2012-04-14, 06:13 AM
Probably the same way he did the tornado in new strip - wind control spells or something.

Bolt-on-headlamps
2012-04-14, 06:15 AM
Wind walk?

Surfing HalfOrc
2012-04-14, 06:34 AM
It looks like he's riding a Broom of Flying, but I don't see any bristles. At first I thought they might be under his robes, but both ends are bare.

Do Brooms of Flying need the bristles to fly? If Malak is a snake of some sort, could this just be some sort of flying snake perch? We have never seen his feet, and I know there was a bit of debate on whether he was a lizard or a snake.

Psychonaut
2012-04-14, 07:36 AM
I'm pretty sure that's just the staff he's been carrying in (almost?) every strip he's in.

Marlowe
2012-04-14, 07:43 AM
When I asked that question I got told "Wind Walk", although he doesn't LOOK like he's walking on air.

Clerics can get access to Fly through Travel Domain, and we have no evidence he doesn't have it. Trouble is Travel Domain only gives him one Fly spell per day, unless he took a Domain Spontaneity feat (non-core, and I think I'm the only person who ever takes those feats) or is a Spontaneous Divine caster (technically core, but it would be odd. And possibly mess with his observed metamagic). One Fly spell even with Extend wouldn't let him keep up with the others over a long flight. Travel Domain doesn't grant overland flight.

It's just barely possible he could be Persisting a Fly spell.

A possible explanation is that he hitched a ride on Tarquin's mount and started flying under his own power as they neared their destination. Or maybe it just is Wind Walk.

Kish
2012-04-14, 07:51 AM
Or Zz'dtri cast 3.0 Fly on Malack as well as himself.

zimmerwald1915
2012-04-14, 07:54 AM
We've seen what Wind Walk looks like in the comic, and Malack's legs (or tail, if he's a serpentfolk rather than a lizardfolk) haven't become contrails like Elan's and Durkon's did. I see no reason Zz'dtri couldn't have simply cast Fly on Malack. True, he apparently didn't cast it on Nale, but given the choice between Z and Sabine having their hands on his body, Nale's choice is...understandable.

Ninja'd by Kish.

Doxkid
2012-04-14, 11:20 AM
I would also go with castings of 'Fly' From Z.

Nale can't do much in the air except wand-cast, so he didnt get one. Tar prefers melee and *could* be set up for mounted combat, so it would be wasted on him.

Also, I'm happy that we now know Sab is a demon...or at least not a devil. I don't remember any similar non-demonic/diabolic creatures but I wouldn't put it past Rich to have something wierd just to trip us up.

Shadowknight12
2012-04-14, 11:30 AM
The Giant likes his full spellcasters to fly a lot, especially in combat (see: Tsukiko, Xykon, that bandit sorceress, V, Zz'dtri, sometimes Durkon), and the only exception that comes to mind at the moment is Redcloak (though it might perhaps indicate his distaste for flashiness), so it makes perfect sense for Malack to do so, particularly since he's less of an "armoured cleric" (like Durkon) and more of a "robed priest" (like a wizard).

KillianHawkeye
2012-04-14, 11:59 AM
Also, I'm happy that we now know Sab is a demon...or at least not a devil. I don't remember any similar non-demonic/diabolic creatures but I wouldn't put it past Rich to have something wierd just to trip us up.

We've known she was a succubus for quite some time, actually....

MReav
2012-04-14, 12:34 PM
We've known she was a succubus for quite some time, actually....

As far back as this comic. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0637.html)

Personally, I never got the idea that Sabine was any sort of lawful. As for the claims she didn't act like your typical succubus: a physical embodiment of Chaos not acting according to established patterns? What shock!

Morquard
2012-04-14, 12:35 PM
For all we know Malack could be a Mystic Theurge as well, or something else that gives him access to arcane spells. Just cause he's no full cleric doesn't mean he can't be high-priest.

Or he's not a cleric at all, but some other class that gives divine spells. I've no idea which ones there are though, but he's not wearing heavy armor, so he might be something else

Math_Mage
2012-04-14, 02:21 PM
For all we know Malack could be a Mystic Theurge as well, or something else that gives him access to arcane spells. Just cause he's no full cleric doesn't mean he can't be high-priest.

Or he's not a cleric at all, but some other class that gives divine spells. I've no idea which ones there are though, but he's not wearing heavy armor, so he might be something else

Malack is a cleric (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0737.html) (panel 1).

jere7my
2012-04-14, 03:03 PM

The third option would be daemons / yugoloths, which are neutral evil, and first appeared in Vault of the Drow (1978). They were codified as the third branch of fiends in the 1st edition Monster Manual II, and have appeared in every edition since then.

But Sabine is a succubus, and succubi are demons, not devils or daemons. (If she were a devil, she'd be an erinys. I don't think there is a sexy-seducer brand of daemon, unless you're hot for Ultraman.)

Herald Alberich
2012-04-14, 04:28 PM
It doesn't have to be "just" a Fly spell from Z - in comic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0835.html), Overland Flight can be cast on others.

MReav
2012-04-14, 04:38 PM
It could be an item, like a ring of flight.

Sith_Happens
2012-04-14, 05:12 PM
It doesn't have to be "just" a Fly spell from Z - in comic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0835.html), Overland Flight can be cast on others.

Or he has the Magic domain and cast it himself from a scroll.

Stormlock
2012-04-14, 05:17 PM
In short, there's pretty much no excuse for anyone of that level to not be able to fly. The OotS don't because... well lets be honest, they're basically total chumps. Durkon doesn't have control weather right now and he's praying to the god of thunder. :smalltongue: Maybe for his next trick he can deafen Belkar and V with Holy Word.

Both that and winds are air domain spells anyways.

t209
2012-04-14, 05:29 PM
What if the anti flight plan worn off (thanks to V) at the same time when Linear guild came?
I hope a sending spell came out in front of Roy and Tarquin like
How Gandalf came and stop the fight between dwarves, humans and elves to warn about the goblins? I wonder if Tarquin will apologize to his sons like Thorin Oakenshield to Bilbo.

The third option would be daemons / yugoloths, which are neutral evil, and first appeared in Vault of the Drow (1978). They were codified as the third branch of fiends in the 1st edition Monster Manual II, and have appeared in every edition since then.

But Sabine is a succubus, and succubi are demons, not devils or daemons. (If she were a devil, she'd be an erinys. I don't think there is a sexy-seducer brand of daemon, unless you're hot for Ultraman.)

Or Malack is ignorant over Demon and devils differentiation (or he prefers it).

Gift Jeraff
2012-04-14, 05:37 PM
There's precedent for Z casting Fly 3.0 on a fellow Linear Guilder and Sabine still carrying Nale. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0057.html) (And no, Thog can't fly on his own (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=486012&postcount=48). :smalltongue:)

It's the simplest answer, really.

thepsyker
2012-04-14, 06:00 PM
Or Tarquin is ignorant over Demon and devils differentiation (like how people have problems differentiating asians).
What does Tarquin have to do with this, Malack is the one who called her a devil.

Math_Mage
2012-04-14, 06:08 PM
What if the anti flight plan worn off (thanks to V) at the same time when Linear guild came?
I hope a sending spell came out in front of Roy and Tarquin like
How Gandalf came and stop the fight between dwarves, humans and elves to warn about the goblins? I wonder if Tarquin will apologize to his sons like Thorin Oakenshield to Bilbo.

...:confused:

I have no words.

Gift Jeraff
2012-04-14, 06:13 PM
Or Tarquin is ignorant over Demon and devils differentiation (like how people have problems differentiating asians).Tarquin knows she's a demon, based on the bounty (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0715.html), which he issued (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0723.html).

Gnome Alone
2012-04-14, 08:59 PM
...:confused:

I have no words.

Tarquin: Nale, Elan... if more of us valued ridiculously labyrinthine plans and stunningly naive optimism above totalitarian manipulation, it would be a merrier world.

Emanick
2012-04-14, 11:43 PM
Tarquin: Nale, Elan... if more of us valued ridiculously labyrinthine plans and stunningly naive optimism above totalitarian manipulation, it would be a merrier world.

You gotta admit, that's technically true. Oddly enough, I can also imagine that exact sentence coming out of Tarquin's mouth.

Math_Mage
2012-04-15, 12:32 AM

That's not really the part of t209's post that baffles me.

Marlowe
2012-04-15, 12:51 AM
Or Tarquin is ignorant over Demon and devils differentiation (like how people have problems differentiating asians).

Not wanting to come across like a wet blanket, but this is the second post in 24hrs, by unrelated people, that's compared Asian people to Fiends. Could we not do this? I know what you mean, but some people WILL take it the wrong way and it could cause a very ugly mess.

And yes, it's never really been in doubt that Sabine's a succubus. Haley's just not read the monster manual.

ZerglingOne
2012-04-15, 01:30 AM
There was a post an unknown number of weeks ago about Malack. To the point of we've never really seen him "walking" per se because he's either doing something else, or it's completely obscured by his robes. We do know he is in failing health, so flight would definitely be preferable to walking if you are weakened by age or disease as a method to prevent tiring out.

My guess is he has an item that allows him either to fly persistently, or to give him flight a number of times per day.

After all, "persistent flight" can be achieved with around 17,000gp of enhancements which is nothing to Malack and Tarquin at their advanced ages/levels.

ti'esar
2012-04-15, 01:34 AM

This certainly gave that post some redeeming value. And yeah, for some reason I can actually pick him saying that as well.

Gnome Alone
2012-04-15, 03:00 AM

Ah! Upon a more thorough read, yes I see what you mean.

Kaeso
2012-04-15, 06:43 AM
There's precedent for Z casting Fly 3.0 on a fellow Linear Guilder and Sabine still carrying Nale. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0057.html) (And no, Thog can't fly on his own (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=486012&postcount=48). :smalltongue:)

It's the simplest answer, really.

That makes sense actually. Perhaps I didn't consider that an option because Malack is a spellcaster while Thog isn't.

t209
2012-04-15, 09:25 AM
Not wanting to come across like a wet blanket, but this is the second post in 24hrs, by unrelated people, that's compared Asian people to Fiends. Could we not do this? I know what you mean, but some people WILL take it the wrong way and it could cause a very ugly mess.

And yes, it's never really been in doubt that Sabine's a succubus. Haley's just not read the monster manual.

Already changed it mate. Oh It was malack.

Or Malack is ignorant over Demon and devils differentiation (or he prefers it).

Look! I mean the Battle of Five Armies from Hobbit.
The part where Gandalf came in front of Humans, elves and dwarven armies to warn about the coming of Goblin armies. The apology part is about when Thorin (now mortally wounded) apologize to Bilbo for his attitude towards him and gave him gold.

Math_Mage
2012-04-15, 02:57 PM
Look! I mean the Battle of Five Armies from Hobbit.
The part where Gandalf came in front of Humans, elves and dwarven armies to warn about the coming of Goblin armies. The apology part is about when Thorin (now mortally wounded) apologize to Bilbo for his attitude towards him and gave him gold.

Yeah, yeah, I got that part, I just missed the part where there was any conceivable connection between that scene and this one. Or why you would hypothesize a Sending spell out of nowhere. Or how Tarquin apologizing to his sons would be ANYTHING like Thorin's apology to Bilbo. Or why V would have anything to do with the anti-flight spells. Or why one would need to hypothesize a fortuitous wearing off of those anti-flight spells when we know LG used Control Weather to handle them. Or...wait, I've run out of post to be confused about.

Suffice to say: :confused:

ti'esar
2012-04-15, 06:48 PM
t209, are you listening at all to the people who tell you to please stop making shoehorned comparisons to other media?

t209
2012-04-15, 06:59 PM
Well, let's forget about the Hobbit part and move on to something (I kinda talk about it before people told me to stop it).
How did malack manages to fly to the temple?
A. He is not lawful (Draketooths hates lawful)
B. The anti air magic worn off.
C. Luck.

Gift Jeraff
2012-04-15, 07:53 PM
I'm guessing the wind in Windy Canyon is natural, so there was no problem with Malack casting Control Winds. If it is magical or enhanced by magic, then the best answer is B, since we know that was the case for most of the canyon's illusions.

Math_Mage
2012-04-15, 09:07 PM
I'm guessing the wind in Windy Canyon is natural, so there was no problem with Malack casting Control Winds. If it is magical or enhanced by magic, then the best answer is B, since we know that was the case for most of the canyon's illusions.

I don't have a firm grasp of the RAW, but the Control Winds entry doesn't seem to have any proscription against using it on an area of magically induced wind. Is there some rules reason why that would be the case, and if so, is it the sort of reason Rich might have ignored as a matter of narrative convenience?

Gift Jeraff
2012-04-15, 09:21 PM
I don't have a firm grasp of the RAW, but the Control Winds entry doesn't seem to have any proscription against using it on an area of magically induced wind. Is there some rules reason why that would be the case, and if so, is it the sort of reason Rich might have ignored as a matter of narrative convenience?I'm just responding to t209's speculation that there was some kind of ward specifically against Control Winds.

KillianHawkeye
2012-04-16, 12:44 AM
I'm just responding to t209's speculation that there was some kind of ward specifically against Control Winds.

I believe the "anti air magic" he referred to is the one that prevents Vaarsuvius from flying in Comic 837 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0837.html), not anything having to do with control winds.

Personally, I believe the effect only prevents flight within the canyon, so it wouldn't stop somebody who knows the temple's location from flying OVER and going directly there.

Herald Alberich
2012-04-17, 02:25 AM
I believe the "anti air magic" he referred to is the one that prevents Vaarsuvius from flying in Comic 837 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0837.html), not anything having to do with control winds.

Is it possible that the Linear Guild was watching the Order already in that strip, and that Malack used Control Winds to smack V down himself?

Dr.Epic
2012-04-17, 10:25 PM
This wouldn't be the first time the writer has strayed from the official rules for the comic's plot.

KillianHawkeye
2012-04-18, 06:14 PM
Is it possible that the Linear Guild was watching the Order already in that strip, and that Malack used Control Winds to smack V down himself?

I suppose it's possible, but given the LG's high-speed mode of travel (flight), it seems more likely to me that they just caught up to the OOTS when Roy was coming out of the temple. Besides, the canyon was already well known to be windy (and wIndy).

Rizzer
2012-04-29, 05:03 AM
Malack appears to be riding his staff. I assumed he must have invoked a function of the staff, whether RAW (I'm not sure which DMG staff would have flight, must surely some of them must) or specially magicked into the staff.

SiuiS
2012-04-29, 05:34 AM
Magic item.

Tarquinius seems big on being prepared.