PDA

View Full Version : Tsukiko and Divine Magic

Man on Fire
2012-04-14, 06:09 AM
Corret me if I'm wrong, but if I'm getting this straight, Tsukiko was Wizard and Cleric, probably had Mystic Theurge prestige class....so what God did she served to get divine spells? I remember her saying "Twelve Gods" in her last apperance. Is there any evil god among the Twelve? They seem rather getting along and I always saw them more as united collective. Or maybe Tsukiko wasn't a Cleric on her divine side? Can anybody clarify this for me?

shockeroo
2012-04-14, 06:39 AM
She's absolutely a Theurge, it's explicit.

I'm not sure about her god(s), perhaps someone else knows though.

Edit: Citation - http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0446.html

factotum
2012-04-14, 06:40 AM
There are Evil gods among the Twelve--Rat is shown as being one of the few friends the Dark One has amongst the older gods, for example. Those who worship the Twelve worship them all, regardless of their alignment--pretty sure the Giant said so himself.

Kish
2012-04-14, 06:40 AM
Rich has stated that both Tsukiko and the Sapphire Guard worshiped the Twelve Gods as a pantheon without regard for their individual alignments.

Rat is evil. Most of the others are unknown, though Rich once vaguely implied that Ox is Lawful Neutral.

KillianHawkeye
2012-04-14, 12:04 PM
It's probably a good guess that the 12 Gods have at least one member of every alignment, which would allow a Cleric of any alignment to worship the pantheon.

Ron Miel
2012-04-14, 02:44 PM
I don't think Rat is necessarily evil. He may be friends with TDO, and may even have sympathy for the cause of Equal Rights For Goblins, but that doesn't prove he's evil.

Good and evil characters can be friends, right? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0387.html)

Steward
2012-04-14, 06:46 PM
I can buy that Rat is one of those neutral gods that grants spells to evil beings, though I like the idea of the 12 gods representing every alignment.

Cor1
2012-04-14, 07:21 PM
If she worshipped the Twelve Gods as a whole, then she's free to choose her domains and stuff. There exist Clerics who follow the philosophy of their Domains instead of a God. Or who worship a whole pantheon.

Gnoman
2012-04-14, 10:47 PM
The Giant already explained this in another thread.

Also, this. The Twelve Gods are worshipped as a pantheon, by everyone, including evil characters like Kubota and Tsukiko.

ti'esar
2012-04-14, 10:50 PM
Also, Rat is evil - SoD explicitly says that the Dark One's allies were "among the evil gods", or something like that.

Marlowe
2012-04-15, 08:04 AM
So, as long as at least one of the 12 gods is evil (and one is) and they are considered a "tight" pantheon (they seem to be), Tsukiko is (was) free to be evil, have Cleric levels and powers, draw Domain abilities from any of the twelve, and receive Favoured Weapon benefits (if applicable) likewise. This has also been advanced as an explanation for how Durkon can be a lawful Cleric of a Chaotic god.

Morquard
2012-04-16, 05:14 AM
Actually since a cleric can be one step away from his deity's alignment, there doesn't need to be any evil gods in the pantheon.
All it really needs is a LN, a TN and a CN god, and all nine alignments are covered for clerics.
All it takes is a single god being any kind of neutral to allow evil clerics of him (however has to match that god's alignment on law-chaos axis then)

So the question is: Are ALL the gods good? If the answer is no, then being an evil cleric is quite possible.

However yes, I think it's been said that Rat is evil. Or at the very least, not good.

t209
2012-04-16, 11:50 AM
Don't forget about the good god's hypocrisy.
About their exemption of falling (well some paladins fell in Redcloak village massacre) and alignment shift in killing XP Fodder race (like goblins, Orcs, and ogres). Ironically, Orcs (look at Bozok and Therkla) and lizardfolk (Western Continent) got better treatment from humans.

Kish
2012-04-16, 12:46 PM
Half-orcs like Bozzok and Therkla are a player race. Always have been.

hamishspence
2012-04-16, 12:51 PM
Didn't they go through a period of not being a player race- maybe in 2nd ed?

For the same reasons as demons and devils were renamed tanar'ri and baatezu?

Kish
2012-04-16, 12:59 PM
They weren't in the 2ed Player's Handbook. I don't know how long it was before some manner of supplement readded them.