PDA

View Full Version : [3.5/3.P] Fastest Possible Land Speed

Kansaschaser
2012-04-14, 07:23 AM
I would like to figure out the fastest possible land speed you can achieve in D&D. Let's assume the following.

1. 32 point buy for stats.
2. You can make the character with 3.5 or Pathfinder. What ever is most beneficial.
3. You can be a maximum of level 20.
4. Appropriate wealth by level.
5. No Pun-Pun shenanigans.

Also, I'd like to know if the character can do special things due to movement. Such as, walking on water, running up walls, making turns while charging, or running without getting tired.

Cor1
2012-04-14, 09:29 AM
There WAS Chuck the Ruby Knight Vindicator, but it got errata'd.

"What can do" with running at seven times the speed of light? There are some things. The original used its ridiculous movement rate to throw a whole battlefield's worth of foes into the sky For Massive Damage. Other things can be done with move-activated maneuvers.

The basic idea is to Persist+Extend the spell Footsteps of the Divine, which has a duration fixed enough to do so, then discharge it to multiply the 10-ft bonus that the spell gives by the number of rounds remaining in its duration. 10ft *28,800 rounds = a lot.

Otherwise, well, the spell itself is useful, and can still be Extended, then discharged. So you'd get CL * 2 * 10ft bonus movement for one round, and that's not bad.

I personally like the idea of playing Chuck from lvl 1 to the point where he can do the full trick, which should happen by the end of the campaign, and use THAT one for one-shotting the Big Bad Boss.

Kansaschaser
2012-04-14, 11:20 AM
That's not really what I'm looking for.

That "burst" of speed only lasts for one round. I'm looking for a build that can run really fast for extended periods of time.

Aegis013
2012-04-14, 12:04 PM
If you use a 30ft speed race (or a higher speed race if it exists) with barbarian or any class that provides fast movement, plus cleric for DMM: Persist and Extend, with buffs that increase your movement speed (longstrider from travel domain is an early option). Then purchase a permanent Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis from Tome of Magic. You can get to at least 60ft base movement that way. I'm sure other people can get it higher.

Template stacking would probably help. Feral Creature from Savage Species gives another +10 base land movement. I'm sure there are others too (you can get Dark Creature from Tome of Magic instead of the Collar)

If you go with RKV, since Shadow Hand is one of the RKV's schools you can pick up Shadow Jaunt/Blink (50ft teleport for a standard/swift action) and teleport repeatedly outside of battle.

tyckspoon
2012-04-14, 01:18 PM
Catfolk (base 40) Barbarian/some other Fast Movement granting class or ACF (+10) making use of a Persistent Expeditious Retreat (+30) gets 80 feet all day.

NeoSeraphi
2012-04-14, 01:27 PM
Chaos Monk 18/Barbarian 1/Catfolk 1. Take the Run feat, as well as an item of continuous expeditious retreat, as well as a continuous collar of umbral metamorphosis. Your total move speed is 150', 300' if you double move, or 750' per round while running.

Toy Killer
2012-04-14, 02:01 PM
Anthromorphic Light horse has a base speed of 50' with no LA, I Believe... and if you can get access to the celerity domain, you can increase it by 10'. I don't know if Fast movement stacks though.

meriru
2012-04-14, 02:30 PM
Pathfinder Synthesist (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/spellcastingClassOptions/summoner.html#synthesist-(archetype)) (Summoner (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/baseClasses/summoner.html) who wears the eidolon as armor):
2 Point Evolutions:
Limbs (Ex): An eidolon grows an additional pair of limbs. These limbs can take one of two forms. They can be made into legs, complete with feet. Each pair of legs increases the eidolon's base speed by 10 feet.

At level 20 (without taking Extra Evolution feats, and without Half-Elf favored class bonuses) you get 26 evolution points, which would make for 13 pairs of legs, so base speed 130 (legs) + 40 (quadruped base speed) = 170 per round.

Not much in the way of tricks with that, but if you cut it down by a few levels you can 1) splash Cleric [and take the Travel domain (+10 ft base speed)] which gives you access to divine spells and wands without UMD, or 2) splash 1 level of Oracle (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/baseClasses/oracle.html) (CHA based divine caster) and take Sidestep Secret (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/baseClasses/oracle.html#sidestep-secret) to get a really high AC and then 3) take a few levels of Master of Many Styles (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCombat/classArchetypes/monk.html#master-of-many-styles-(archetype)) (monk archetype) and learn Panther Style (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCombat/ultimateCombatFeats.html#panther-style) (kick them in the face when they attack you with AoOs as a swift action) and Panther Claw (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCombat/ultimateCombatFeats.html#panther-claw) to make it a free action (usable up to your Wisdom modifier per round). So now you run around deliberately provoking AoOs, (usually) not getting hit because your AC is ridiculous, and then kicking them in the face (or using some other unarmed attack--ASK YOUR GM: YOUR SYNTHESIST'S NATURAL ATTACKS MAY WORK HERE).

KicktheCAN
2012-04-14, 03:48 PM
The Quick trait will get you +10 feet, the Fleet of Foot feat will get you another +10 feet.

The most important thing you need is Rapid Wrath, a magic item from Ghostwalk that doubles your speed.

FearlessGnome
2012-04-14, 04:44 PM
Shadow Template, Lords of Madness. Inherited +2LA template that gives you +50% to all movement modes.
The Geomancer PrC can net you +5 for being 'swift as an elk', but the class does not lend itself toward easy dipping.
Flame Footed or some such, for Spontaneous Arcane caster with Familiars who have the Fire Bloodline feat, gives +10 as well.

Gnarph
2012-04-14, 06:55 PM
FYI point buy works differently in 3.5 and Pathfinder, with 32 points in 3.5 being roughly equivalent to 25 point buy in Pathfinder.

TurtleKing
2012-04-14, 07:36 PM
That Expeditious Retreat unlimited item could be Tooth of Dahlver-nar: Ronove. Cost is 9,000gp and since you replace a tooth it is considered slotless. Do watch out for the type of bonus speed since many of them are enhancement which doesn't stack with others.

Khedrac
2012-04-15, 01:58 AM
You may also want to look at Wild Shape - get the right base animal and you are applying all those enhancement bonuses to move to a much faster base speed for as long as you can remain shifted (wild-shaper level × number of shapes/day). You can also go a lot faster with this if you allow flying forms and you have access to swimming forms too. A quick look at the SRD gives cheetah and wolf with base move 50', but I am sure people can find faster out there.

Golden Ladybug
2012-04-15, 02:41 AM
Shadow Catfolk Focused (Abrupt Jaunt) Conjurer 1/Wildshaping (Mystic) Ranger 2/Whirling Frenzy Barbarian 1/Scout 3/Whildshaping (Mystic) Ranger +8/Fleet Runner of Ehlonna 2

Feats: 1) Expeditious Dodge
F) Mobility
F) Run
3) Sword of the Arcane Order
6) Swift Hunter
9) Catfolk Pounce
12) Cheetah's Sprint
15) Improved Skirmish
18) Fleet of Foot

Traits: Quick

Spells: Expeditious Retreat

Items: Greater Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis
Rapid Wrath

Base Speed of 40+10 (Wildshaping Ranger) +10 (Scout) +10 (Barbarian) +10 (Fleet Runner of Ehlonna) +10 (Fleet of Foot) +10 (Dark Template) +(50%) (Shadow Template) +30 (Expeditious Retreat) x2 (Rapid Wrath) = 360ft

Now, using Cheetah's Sprint, we can sprint at x10 that by spending a Wildshape Attempt, so 3600ft, which is pretty damn fast.

Not to mention it gets 11th level (Mystic) Ranger Casting, Wizard Spells, +4d6/+3 Skirmish (+6d6/+5), Wild Shape, Pounce and lots of other nifty benefits.

With LA Buyoff, preferably, so we can do some stuff with those three levels. Well, if I were to think of something cool to put into those three levels, like something else that grants Fast Movement, or take Exemplar for some Jumplomancy (you could fit that in the normal build if you wanted to, I guess) :smalltongue:

Khedrac
2012-04-15, 06:33 AM
Base Speed of 40+10 (Wildshaping Ranger) +10 (Scout) +10 (Barbarian) +10 (Fleet Runner of Ehlonna) +10 (Fleet of Foot) +10 (Dark Template) +(50%) (Shadow Template) +30 (Expeditious Retreat) x2 (Rapid Wrath) = 360ft
Scout: +10' movement enhancement bonus
Expeditious Retreat: +30' movement enhancement bonus

I have not checked the others but those two won't stack to start with - sorry.:smallfrown:

On the other hand Cheetah's Speed (not sprint) makes your base movement 50' for one hour (in exchange for a wildshape attempt) as well as allowing the one-off 10 times speed charge so the base speed starts at 50' not 40'. :)

TurtleKing
2012-04-15, 01:45 PM
Did anyone not notice for just 9,000gp you can have a spell up all day provided recast every five minutes? Get a Teeth of Dahlver-nar: Ronove so can cast Expeditious Retreat at will. Since you replace one of your teeth it takes up no magic slot. Another benefit is not having to be a spellcaster to have the spell. Can find it in Tome of Magic the magic item section of the Binder.

Another thing is don't have to take Barbarian and Wildshape Ranger as get the class feature twice. Plus look into Speed of Thought psionic feat which adds +10ft as an insight bonus.

Fluffy_1.0
2012-04-15, 04:02 PM
5901426336 ft/round is the speed limit.

Why yes, that is the speed of light in ft/round.

Yorrin
2012-04-15, 04:13 PM
Race: Nezumi (40ft) with the Trait Quick (+10ft)
Relevant Feats: Fleet-footed (+10ft), Dash (+5ft), Bind Soulmeld: Cerulean Sandals (+5ft), Martial Stance: Absolute Steel (+10ft)
Item: Perpetual Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis (+10ft), Feindish Graft: Fast Leg (+10ft)
Cleric 1 with Celerity Domain (+10ft)
Ranger 9 who uses ACF chaining to gain wildshape and Barbarian's fast movement (+10ft) and then gives wildshape up for Monk's speed bonus (+30ft) and also takes the ACF in C.War to give up spellcasting (+10ft)
Bladedancer 10 (OA) for 3x Multiplier

=480ft
Which should be good enough for most purposes. Make jump checks with a +180, which is all sorts of win.

Gavinfoxx
2012-04-15, 04:17 PM

Don't you mean 5901426335 ft/round? You can never get all the way to the speed of light, and isn't speed generally done in units of 5 anyway?

Gavinfoxx
2012-04-15, 04:22 PM

Don't you mean 5901426335 ft/round? You can never get all the way to the speed of light, and isn't speed generally done in units of 5' anyway?

Empedocles
2012-04-15, 04:32 PM
This probably isn't the fastest possible but...

Anthropomorpic light horse, which is base land speed 60 ft. That's ECL 2.
Quick trait, +10 ft. speed
Collar of umbral metamorphosis +10 ft. move speed
Monk 18. That's all your class levels. At this point, speed is 140 ft./round
Something to give you expeditious retreat. Now your speed is 170 ft./round
The Run feat will obviously make you much faster while moving above average speed.
Fleet of Foot feat: +10 ft. land speed. 180 ft./round now
Rapid Wrath item doubles your speed. Base speed is 360 feet now, and a full on run puts you at 1800 ft.
Also lots of ways to boost your speed temporarily. For example, having sapphire sprint, improved essentia capacity, and bonus essentia x4 (not that it'd be worth the feats, mind you) you could add in 20 ft. of speed, which is doubled to 40 ft. due to the rapid wrath and brings your run up to 2000 feet :smallbiggrin:

It's possible that not all of these things stack though. Just keep that in mind.

Yorrin
2012-04-15, 04:39 PM
Rapid Wrath

Good call on that- totally forgot it. Brings my above build up to 640 base speed. And that's before spells/running.

Bahamut Omega
2012-04-15, 04:41 PM
I'm sure some magic items would help this along, but a Xeph Barbarian 1/Monk 18/Psychic Warrior 1 moves 100' per move. Add on the Xeph's burst of speed ability and you get to 130' per move action. If you manifest the Burst power, you get another 10' for one round, bringing you to 140' per move. Given dragons' terrible maneuverability while flying, you should be able to escape one with ease. Catching one would probably require you to fly.

Yorrin
2012-04-15, 04:45 PM
Oh, forgot the Feindish Graft: Feathered Wings. Grants flight at double your land speed. So again using my above build that's a fly speed of 1280ft. Once again- before spells like Expeditious Retreat and the like.

Empedocles
2012-04-15, 04:48 PM
Oh, forgot the Feindish Graft: Feathered Wings. Grants flight at double your land speed. So again using my above build that's a fly speed of 1280ft. Once again- before spells like Expeditious Retreat and the like.

Change race from nezumi to anthropomorphic light horse (as in my build) and make that a neat 1300 ft. (at this point more speed is just plain stupid).

Also, ardent with the freedom mantle gains +10 ft. (or mantled psychic warrior) much like a cleric with celerity.

tyckspoon
2012-04-15, 05:01 PM
It's possible that not all of these things stack though. Just keep that in mind.

They don't. The most common conflict is probably the Monk speed boost; it's an Enhancement bonus, which is the most common type among other spells and magic items- it conflicts with Expeditious Retreat and/or the Haste spell.

Essence_of_War
2012-04-15, 07:09 PM
Also lots of ways to boost your speed temporarily. For example, having sapphire sprint, improved essentia capacity, and bonus essentia x4 (not that it'd be worth the feats, mind you) you could add in 20 ft. of speed, which is doubled to 40 ft. due to the rapid wrath and brings your run up to 2000 feet :smallbiggrin:

Pretty sure you can only take bonus essentia once :smallamused:

Sutremaine
2012-04-15, 08:13 PM
You'll need a Ring of Sustenance to properly use a Tooth of Ronove, otherwise you'll take a -1 penalty to attack rolls, saves, and checks as soon as you eat or drink something. And a Tooth needs 24 hours to attune, so you can't pop it out at night like it's a set of dentures.

Empedocles
2012-04-15, 08:47 PM
Pretty sure you can only take bonus essentia once :smallamused:

Ouch. That was stupid of me :smalleek:

But you could still get the essentia via feats...just take random incarnum feats (again, it wouldn't be worth it).

Empedocles
2012-04-15, 09:23 PM
Anthromorphic Light horse has a base speed of 50' with no LA, I Believe... and if you can get access to the celerity domain, you can increase it by 10'. I don't know if Fast movement stacks though.

It's actually 60 ft I think.

Golden Ladybug
2012-04-15, 10:01 PM
Scout: +10' movement enhancement bonus
Expeditious Retreat: +30' movement enhancement bonus

I have not checked the others but those two won't stack to start with - sorry.:smallfrown:

On the other hand Cheetah's Speed (not sprint) makes your base movement 50' for one hour (in exchange for a wildshape attempt) as well as allowing the one-off 10 times speed charge so the base speed starts at 50' not 40'. :)

Another thing is don't have to take Barbarian and Wildshape Ranger as get the class feature twice. Plus look into Speed of Thought psionic feat which adds +10ft as an insight bonus.

Ah, that's a shame. I thought all those Fast Movements used the language of the Barbarian's, which is untyped (at least according to the SRD and my copy of the PHB :smallwink:). Since the Wildshaping Ranger and Barbarian both grant an untyped +10ft to your Landspeed, they should stack (unless I can't read the Stacking rules to save my life). Let's try this again, and get it right this time.

Shadow Longstride Shifter Wildshaping Mystic Ranger 5/Reach Runner 4/Mantled Psychic Warrior 2/Fleet Runner of Ehlonna 2/Whirling Frenzy Barbarian 1/Forest Reeve 2/Holt Warden 2

1) Expeditious Dodge
WSR1) Track
3) Dash
WSR3) Endurance
6) Cheetah's Speed
9) [OPEN]
Reach Runner 4) Run
PsyWar1) Mobility
PsyWar2) Freedom Mantle
12) Speed of Thought
15) [OPEN]
18) [OPEN]

Items: Tooth of Dahlver-nar: Ronove
Ring of Sustenance
Greater Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis
Rapid Wrath

50 (Cheetah's Speed) +20 (Longstride Trait) + 10 (Wildshaping Ranger) +10 (Reachrunner) +10 (Fleet Runner) +10 (Celerity Domain, granted by Fleet Runner 1 (Can't believe I missed this the first time around)) +10 (Barbarian) +10 (Dark Template) +5 (Dash) +10 (Speed of Thought) +10 (Freedom Mantle) +10 (Forest Reeve) +10 (Holt Warden) +30 (Tooth of Dahlver-nar: Ronove) +50% (Shadow Template) x2 Rapid Wrath = 515ft (5150ft when Sprinting)

All of the bonuses from Class are untyped, and based on the language of all Prestige Classes that grant the ability, I can presume it stacks. Fleet Runner of Ehlonna grants a Domain at level 1, which I completely missed the first time, so Celerity goes there, and the Mantled PsyWar gives us the Freedom Mantle. I don't really know what else this character would be doing besides running really freaking fast, but I suppose with some WBLmancy you could get a high enough strength to carry a Whale up with you when you jump 200ft in the air and then drop it on people :smallamused:

But its pretty cool to be able to run almost 2 kilometres in 6 seconds.

VGLordR2
2012-04-15, 10:03 PM
I'm not really sure that this works, but I'll post it anyway for the hilarity.

Step 1: Find a friend.
Step 2: Ready the action to ready an action and take a five foot step, triggered to when your friend readies an action.
Step 3: Have your friend ready a similar action, triggered to when you ready an action.
Step 4: Repeat as needed to go anywhere in the world in six seconds.

As I previously mentioned, I don't really know how valid this is. It's based on the facts that Ready Actions are Standard Actions, you can use a Ready Action to prepare a Standard Action, you may take a five-foot step on a Ready Action, and you may choose any trigger for the ready action. This is probably of questionable legality, and certainly won't be allowed by any DM with a brain.
Either way, I thought it was hilarious when my friend came up with it, and found it worth sharing.

Aegis013
2012-04-15, 10:14 PM
I'm not really sure that this works, but I'll post it anyway for the hilarity.

Step 1: Find a friend.
Step 2: Ready the action to ready an action and take a five foot step, triggered to when your friend readies an action.
Step 3: Have your friend ready a similar action, triggered to when you ready an action.
Step 4: Repeat as needed to go anywhere in the world in six seconds.

As I previously mentioned, I don't really know how valid this is. It's based on the facts that Ready Actions are Standard Actions, you can use a Ready Action to prepare a Standard Action, you may take a five-foot step on a Ready Action, and you may choose any trigger for the ready action. This is probably of questionable legality, and certainly won't be allowed by any DM with a brain.
Either way, I thought it was hilarious when my friend came up with it, and found it worth sharing.

I remember reading about a build, I believe I read about it here on gitp, which used something like this, using a cleric domain that let you create a temporary copy of yourself and sleight of hand to move infinitely everywhere while simultaneously stealing stuff or moving stuff. I don't quite remember how it worked though.

Kansaschaser
2012-04-15, 10:43 PM
Wow, I'm thoroughly impressed will all these suggestions. Most of the builds I've come up with cap out at about 200ft per round. Where is Rapid Wrath located?

Empedocles
2012-04-15, 10:53 PM
Wow, I'm thoroughly impressed will all these suggestions. Most of the builds I've come up with cap out at about 200ft per round. Where is Rapid Wrath located?

It's an item in the Ghostwalk supplement. If you can't get that, just know it's a +1 shortspear that doubles your fastest speed (so it could double your fly speed if that was higher then your land speed).

candycorn
2012-04-16, 01:46 AM
Catfolk (base 40) Barbarian/some other Fast Movement granting class or ACF (+10) making use of a Persistent Expeditious Retreat (+30) gets 80 feet all day.

Try shapeshift druid 1 (predator form has 50 speed) / Barbarian 1 / Cleric 1.

DMM Persist expeditious retreat. +30
Quick trait: +10
Celerity domain: +10
Speed of Thought feat: +10

That's 110 foot speed, all day, which lets you outrun a flying air elemental.

That's at level 3.