PDA

View Full Version : Sneaking...lurking...it's all the same! (Help for character)

Empedocles
2012-04-14, 08:28 PM
Okay, first off this is not a thread requesting help with a build. I have handbooks for that, and they've served me well in the past :smallcool:

Right now, our party is 1st level and, well, still being made because I can't decide on some stuff. We have an interesting party makeup: A dwarf Knight (PHB II), a Warlock using a glaivelock build, a totemist, an eidolon debuffer, and a dragon shaman. We're a very melee oriented party, and the idea is that the dragon shaman and knight are secondary buffers to the warlock and totemist's main damage output, but our buffers are still big damage dealers. Warlock and eidolon gives us a tiny bit of versatility in a few levels as does the dragon shaman, but we're still low on options.

Therefore (this is a no-arcane/divine magic world. Psionics is the default "magic" and incarnum is a rare alternative) I began thinking about a Psion build, specifically a shaper that could help out my party with constructs and still make full use of our enormous buffing potential.

I thought a little bit more, and basically decided against this for a few reasons. Besides a soulknife that got butchered in a few moves I've only really played caster types. So here's my thought: a psychic rogue. It adds versatility, skills, and it works perfectly with my fellow party members since it can sneak attack while flanking add taking advantage of all of our buffs. In tandem with the eidolon (who's freaking MANEUVERABLE. All I've got to say on that) we could get into position fast, stay moving and kill everything quickly, but I'd be the most useful out of combat.

Any better ideas for a class? I'd been considering an eidolon (even asked about it on these forums) but my fellow player made a much better eidolon character. I don't want a broken class or character (please, no one suggest psion), and I want it to be able to take advantage of our party's maneuverability and buffing. My other thought was a lurk, but it's skill selection isn't excellent....

Oh, and by the way, my race is tibbit from the Dragon Magazine Compendium which lets me turn into a tiny cat. YAY!

Particle_Man
2012-04-15, 01:37 PM
I guess in a world without arcane casters, the origin of your race as magicked up wizards' familiars got reflavoured a little. :smallsmile:

Anyhow, nothing wrong with psychic rogue in that situation AFAICT. There are other options (ranger, rogue, ninja, scout, swordsage, monk, factotum) but you already likely know about them.

There is a "sneaky" incarnate prestige class that you might want to look into (can't remember the name but it is the only "sneaky" one in magic of incarnum. Dark something?

PoisonAlchemist
2012-04-15, 06:01 PM
This harkens back to a game I was in. You say "Takes advantage of buffing" and the first thing that comes to mind is Malconvoker. With your magic system I am not sure how any sort of summoner would function.

My fiance was playing this bard who would sing and grant dragony buffs to all allies, summons included. There was some talk of the entire party taking this build, each of us choosing a different dragon and buffing each other into unstoppable killing machines.

1 Bard 1
2 Dragon Shaman 1
3 Crusader 1
4 Crusader 2
5 Crusader 3
6 Crusader 4
7 Warrior Skald 1
8 Warrior Skald 2
9 Warrior Skald 3
10 Warrior Skald 4
11 Warrior Skald 5
12 Warrior Skald 6
13 Warrior Skald 7
14 Crusader 5
15 Crusader 6
16 Crusader 7
17 Crusader 8
18 Crusader 9

I suppose depending on the type of buffs you want a large number of attacks from summons, or from two-weapon fighting. If constructs are a problem though a straight up ba****y thing is probably the only other option. Or you could always conform to peer pressure and have everyone be buffers/hitters.