PDA

View Full Version : That Character you have always wanted to play...

Gerrtt
2005-12-20, 10:03 PM
We've all had a class that we've wanted to play but haven't been able to because either someone else in the group already was that class or the DM you were with said no, or even not wanting to play it because you knew it wouldn't be long term. Let's hear it, what would you play if you were gonna start a game tomorrow and could play whatever you want?

For a long term game I would really love to play a Wizard/Loremaster, preferably Dwarven or Gnomish.

For a short term game I would really like to play a halfling rogue, because I would like to mess around with a thrower character before I play it long term.

Munchy
2005-12-20, 10:16 PM
I'd like to play a non-evil lich/demilich wizard+psion gestalt in a high level/epic campaign. Sweet immunities, awesome powers and a cool thing to roleplay. Very muchkin, but very cool IMHO. Unfortunately my DM doesn't like powergaming too much so it is out of the question for now...

Sciurusaurus
2005-12-20, 10:18 PM
I've always wanted to play a Mind Flayer.

I love Mind Flayers. I actually have to control myself not to put them in every single adventure I make, regardless of level. OK, it's not really that bad, but close ;)

Edit :
I particularly love step 4 of their "example tactics when boss monster" : "Eat brains" :)

Sir_Banjo
2005-12-20, 10:24 PM
I've always wanted to play elvish ranger/knight (not neccessarily a paladin) who applies his races finesse to using a large weapon, such as a bastard sword or even greatsword. I'd take feats such as Mobility and Improved Initiative. Unfortunately I've never really been able to transfer this idea into a satisfactory series of game mechanics. There is some light though, as I recently discovered the CG paladin PrC in Complete Divine so perhaps that'll be the next character I play. I almost wish my current character would die.

Munchy
2005-12-20, 10:24 PM
Mind flayers are cool. I've considerd polymorphing into one and eating the brains out of an NPC (In combat) just to see how my party reacts... :D

Sciurusaurus
2005-12-20, 10:30 PM
Sadly, a non-classed Mind Flayer PC is the equivalent of a 15th level character :/ Oh, and it would take a very special party composition to allow a non-Drizzty Mind Flayer indeed.

Gerrtt
2005-12-20, 10:33 PM
That certainly would be a fun party though...a mind flayer arcanist, a drider warrior, tiefling rogueish character, and a vampire cleric... just think of the fun at parties!

Raptor13x
2005-12-20, 10:51 PM
I've always wanted to play a Chaos Knight. I even made up a whole class for it, totally balanced with and opposite the paladin, just like the Blackguard but with chaotic instead of evil alignment. In exchange for all the undead powers and remove disease/sneak attack, he gains the rage ability and some other cool features. Smite Law, other good stuff :)

But, I'm always the DM, because everybody else sucks at being DM, lol, so now I get to make the party encounter them! And if they decide to fight MY favorite new class, they are in for a beating :)

Time to smite the dirty lawdogs!! :D

valadil
2005-12-20, 11:16 PM
I've always wanted to do a thieving rogue. Usually robbing people takes away from game time too much so I don't get to steal everything. I've been toying with the idea of a game where all players play the same class. The idea would be that they have to define their characters in ways other than by existing as a class. Rogue or wizard would probably be the class I use for something like that.

Other than that I've wanted to do a straight fighter type who is very live by the sword, die by the sword.

I also like the idea of a barbarian who had been a bastard son in some noble family, but was left for the wolves rather than embarass the family. The character would be kinda nuts and want to siege his parents' lands.

That Lanky Bugger
2005-12-20, 11:28 PM
I've always wanted to play a Fighter/Rogue type who specialized in a fighting style ala the Prince of Persia... But have never been able to strike the right balance between skills, feats, and classes to pull it off successfully...

Sciurusaurus
2005-12-20, 11:33 PM
I also like the idea of a barbarian who had been a bastard son in some noble family, but was left for the wolves rather than embarass the family. The character would be kinda nuts and want to siege his parents' lands.

That would be an awesome campaign idea :D At least if the family made a habit of that kind of behavior. Imagine a party of "wild" classes with a vengeance to wreak upon said family (which would of course be too powerful to touch for quite a while).

Fhaolan
2005-12-20, 11:36 PM
There's only a few characters that I've never been able to play. The problem is, those characters *are* unplayable. I realize that. Which is why I've never played them. But the ideas just... niggle at me.

A pacifist paladin. He was a LE warlord who had some kind of revelation, complete with alignment and religion changeover. Now, he completely rejects all lethal force as the easy way (He's still allowed subdual stuff). When 3.0 came out, I rethought him as a fighter/cleric, but the idea was the same. And just as unplayable. :)

Darkie
2005-12-20, 11:44 PM
I've always wanted to be a Paladin of Kelemvor. In FR, he's the only death god of that setting that has Paladins...

Gritty undead hunters! Should be fun ;D

TheDarkOne
2005-12-20, 11:58 PM
I've always wanted to play elvish ranger/knight (not neccessarily a paladin) who applies his races finesse to using a large weapon, such as a bastard sword or even greatsword. I'd take feats such as Mobility and Improved Initiative. Unfortunately I've never really been able to transfer this idea into a satisfactory series of game mechanics. There is some light though, as I recently discovered the CG paladin PrC in Complete Divine so perhaps that'll be the next character I play. I almost wish my current character would die.

Look in Races of the Wild. This is basically what Champion of Corellon Larethian is.

Gralamin
2005-12-21, 12:14 AM
artificer, too bad i'm the dm and have hard time npcing and playing.

If I could just find an eberron game I could join...

valadil
2005-12-21, 12:33 AM
That would be an awesome campaign idea :D At least if the family made a habit of that kind of behavior. Imagine a party of "wild" classes with a vengeance to wreak upon said family (which would of course be too powerful to touch for quite a while).

The real reason I want to play the character is I love the image of a lone barbarian rolling a catapault up to a castle. Clearly that image comes from the fact that I've played too much Savage, and my explanation of the character come from the fact that I've read too much George R.R. Martin.

Another character I've always wanted to play is a dwarven pirate. I'd love to see him take out a pickaxe and mine the deck of a ship to get to the loot in the hull, while his crew looks on in disgust, complaining to the captives "he does this every high seas robbery, it's so embarassing."

luffy316
2005-12-21, 01:32 AM
A halfing barbarian raised by orcs who's strong enough to pick up a human single-handedly. And his secret weapon; a gnomish artificial arm that could punch a hole through an ogre with a chaingun for emergencies (would have to be reloaded/repaired by professional mechanics to make it interesting and harder to abuse).

I love the idea of being the tiniest thing in a party while being the phsical strongest

tyr
2005-12-21, 02:24 AM
Ditto on the Prince of Persia thing. There's a feat for wall-running but it's psionic and I've never liked diluting martial classes with nonmartial char. levels. And no sane dm would allow time manipulation to that degree. I suppose the dagger is a legacy weapon with charges of time stop.

Recently I got my dm to allow me a minotaur, since I nerfed the race so much. I have to gain 6 levels in minotaur before I get a real class. It's all good though, I got a spiked chain out of purest spite. Luckily he thinks this is funny.

Tynan
2005-12-21, 03:04 AM
Hmm. There's two things that come to mind when I think of this. A character I would love for the RP, and a character I would love for, well, the fun of it.

RP Character: A Half-Celestial Paladin. I understand why no DM in their right mind would allow that template, and I'm very rarely a player, at any rate (it's been about 7 months since I was a player. I miss it :'().

Fun Character: A vampire. I think the RPing could be fun with a character like this, but I also completely understand why it's not allowed. If a player is turned into a vampire, it becomes an NPC.

Also. A Minotaur with the Monster of Legend (is that it? It's from 2nd or 3rd MM...) Template. Fun.

Edit: Spelling... Gah.

Darkie
2005-12-21, 03:10 AM
Further considerations on a Paladin of Kelemvor...

After mentioning it, I went and looked up his Ethos. While it's extremely straight forward regarding undead, it's much less so regarding traditional LG Paladin duties. It'd be one heck of an interesting RP to consider when a creature is supposed to die, and who meets an "untimely" end.

White Blade
2005-12-21, 03:33 AM
The Reluctant Hero. I really, really want to play one of these guys, torn between his life and the world of heroism beyond it. But damn it, I play like all PbP and none of them are 1st level.

Reltzik
2005-12-21, 04:01 AM
Bard.

High charisma.

Perform specialty: Oration.

Several ranks of Know:Religion.

Membership in the church.

Mass suggestion: "And now, as we pass the offerring plate around..."

.... it just wouldn't work well in an ADVENTURE game, though....

(And now I'm getting the image of bards as Salvation Army bellringers.... and now, as employees of the advertisement industry.)

AtomicKitKat
2005-12-21, 05:12 AM
Sadly, a very munchkin one. The Grafter(forget exact name) from Lords of Madness, with about 20 tentacles(some are Fiendish grafts, others from feats, like the one in LoM that grants you them), and some 20'+ of reach via Extended Reach(I think that's the name, also from LoM), Stretch Tentacle(Savage Species), and possibly one or two others. Coupled with Epic Combat Reflexes, maybe Large and In Charge, etc. The sort of fellow who can essentially keep you at bay all day(barring the cheesiness of Force-cage and its "You cannot break me, neener neener neener" nonsense.)

Maryring
2005-12-21, 09:43 AM
A wizard. I never get to play wizards. I love playing wizards, but I always has to be the Tank or the Healer for the rest of my party.

Vik
2005-12-21, 09:55 AM
A halfing barbarian raised by orcs who's strong enough to pick up a human single-handedly. Hey, I've done that ;D
My halfling had a starting 16 Str, and with Rage he was up to 20, at level 1. Barbarian is really the perfect class for boosting a small character, giving Str boost and Fast movement. And it's fun to play the little strong guy 8)

pocketwatch
2005-12-21, 10:22 AM
I usually play clerics or wizards because few of my party members want to deal with the spells system. I want to play something involving less standing at the back of the party casting. Maybe a paladin. Yes, I too have dreams of playing a minotaur. Though I don't think a minotaur paladin is what I'm looking for.
I am also considering experimenting with a very neglected class: the bard. I want to try playing a bard in a race with charisma penalties. Naturally, this won't be a high level character. Maybe an orc, or a tiefling. Must find a party without elves...

Goumindong
2005-12-21, 10:41 AM
Go Orc, alternate Bard/Barbarian.

Enjoy.

One_Half
2005-12-21, 11:18 AM
As for the Prince of Persia/wall walking, check out The Book of Iron Might: http://www.montecook.com/cgi-bin/page.cgi?mpress_BOIM. There’s a feat tree in there for that thing, or in a later chapter there are alternate skill uses. So you can spend 3 feats, or 1 feat and make 2 checks (Balance and Climb), IIRC.

I’d like to play a Machine Mage from Chaositec. The problem is that my group kinda freaked out when I introduced chaositech in my game, so it’s off limits. A Machine Mage stores some of his spells into “spell circuits”, implants on his body that grant a 1/day use of various meta-magic feats. Couple that with some chaositech devices, which are Frankenstein style pseudo-science, and the fact chaositech and chaos magic make you insane, and there’s much fun I’m not having. But just the mention of it gives some of my players panic attacks. The funny thing is, they only saw a few chaositech devices and got in only one fight, but I guess the description was too much for them.

luffy316
2005-12-21, 05:43 PM
I am also considering experimenting with a very neglected class: the bard. I want to try playing a bard in a race with charisma penalties. Naturally, this won't be a high level character. Maybe an orc, or a tiefling. Must find a party without elves...

I DMed for a friend who almost begged to be a half-orc bard. He didn't really have to beg, since i was already laughing as soon as he mentioned it. Balthas Giggleberry wound up multi-classing as a warrior too, but he poured most of his stats into charisma.

Though he did wind up relying on direct combat most of the time, using his spells for his own amusement most of the time. Though he does find a good use for them sometimes, and he uses the class skills well enough too.

Seffbasilisk
2005-12-21, 06:05 PM
I want to play a fighter or barbarian STRAIGHT build. I DM (hence if I make one, I have to control too many factors for it to be fun.)

I used to multiclass or go spellcaster (party needed, and I needed to understand gaming better). Once I got a (near) solid grasp on the gaming system, my group broke up and I started DMing (first campaign was a crash-course for me).

So I just want to play a fighter. Or a barbarian. Under a good DM. not much...jus' once a week. For a race...nothing out of the core. Probably Human, Dwarf, Halfling or Gnome.

Umbral_Arcanist
2005-12-21, 06:07 PM
A chameleon, sadly no one ones races of destiny in my group. Wizards released the class on their site in a preview, but i don't know one of the feats required (since its in races of destiny) Curse You Able Learner!!! for dystroying my dreams!!!

o well i am happy with my halfling warlock right now

Don Beegles
2005-12-21, 06:20 PM
I always have one crazy idea or another. Right now the one I want to play is a spirit shaman/warmage/geomancer who wields Two-Bastard Swords. I saw teh Oversized TWF feat, and the geomancer prestige class and thought I needed some way to combine the two. Spirit Shaman and Warmage was just th eoddest combination I could find. The crazy thing is I actually have a plausible backstory cooked up for it.

Toliudar
2005-12-21, 06:30 PM
The characters I'm instinctively drawn to often don't fit the mechanical needs of the game. Basically, it's hard to play these games with a character who DOESN'T have a high capacity for violence. So, when I think of the middle-aged sage who is writing a book on famous dungeon sites - or a pacifist priest - or the wandering female traveller who provides all the "damsels in distress" for others to rescue - they're just not contributing enough to the kill ratio. Sigh. Maybe I need to give a d20 modern game a whirl.

sniffles
2005-12-21, 07:52 PM
I want to go back to my 3.0 rogue/sorcerer and level him up enough to get into the Eldritch Master PrC (an old one from Dragon that was never updated to 3.5). But I don't think that campaign will ever be resurrected. :'(

A fighter or ranger with archery skills to imitate Legolas from the LOTR films. ;)

A Green Star Adept. I just love that PrC.

A warlock/Blood Magus. Creepy cool.

A dwarf artificer in Eberron. Actually, I just want to play something in Eberron! ;D

Leperflesh
2005-12-21, 08:18 PM
I want to play a fighter who thinks he's a cleric.

He's got too low of a Wis to ever cast cleric spells, but he's a member of the church and he insists on sticking to clerical activities. He'll even gamely try to turn undead. He memorizes all the sacred texts, and quotes from them frequently, because he fervently believes that if he just sticks to it faithfully, eventually his god will grant him spells. Alas, he's just not wise enough to grasp the meanings and lessons behind the scriptures.

He'd be great fun to play, I think. Especially if I didn't tell the other players that he's not really a cleric... they'd have to figure that out for themselves, and then decide whether they are willing to try and convince my character to find a new career choice.

Ultimately the character, if he managed some particularly hard quests, might find magic capable of raising his wisdom score, allowing him to (finally) gain levels in Cleric, which would be the ultimate vindication and affirmation of his faith (to him).

-Lep

That Lanky Bugger
2005-12-21, 08:33 PM
Leperflesh, that idea is awesome. Like any good DM, I must now pilfer the idea for an NPC.

Another thing I'd personally love to try would be a three-quarterling. Nothing special about him except for some Halfling blood in his past (though stastically he'd still count as a Human), but he's just really damned short and has slightly pointy ears. Cheerful nature, but a little sensitive about his height.

I think it'd be fun.

Jural
2005-12-21, 09:46 PM
A character who isn't all the special, but end up just being insanely lucky. There are feats in multiple sourcebooks (The Wheel of time has the Devil's own luck, Eberron has action points, etc...) which make this feasible, but the character should have at least one level in cleric (the Luck domain) to make it really work...

Also, I thought it would be great fun to play a dwarven barbarian/airship pirate in Eberron. He would dual wield pistols and have an awful Scottish accent. My group vetoed that (justifiably) as he was so colorful compared to the rest of the group that he would have dominated the experience.

Renloth
2005-12-21, 10:03 PM
Anyone taken those ability score quizes?

I've always wanted to adapt my life into DnD terms.
Sure, it might be under powered, but the RP of the idea just calls to me... It really would make me think how I would react to things.

Sounds stupid I suppose, but its the question the thread poses.

That Lanky Bugger
2005-12-21, 10:06 PM
I've taken a few of those Ability Score quiz things. They say I'm barely acceptable as a Fighter, and not much else. ;D

How I'd react... Again, would depend on my mood. I think I'd probably be CN under Alignment Terms, and I know EVERY DM hates CN characters.

bosssmiley
2005-12-21, 10:14 PM
Dream character to play? A wereskunk, or possibly an awakened Otyugh scholar fighting for the acceptance of his race! ;D

Between them, the cannibalistic halfings, the Drunken Master monks and the sheltered militaristic Warforged I'm currently playing my DM would *really* hate me. ;)

bosssmiley
2005-12-21, 10:23 PM
Anyone taken those ability score quizes?
See the sig... ;)

I've always wanted to adapt my life into DnD terms.
Sure, it might be under powered, but the RP of the idea just calls to me... It really would make me think how I would react to things.

Sounds stupid I suppose, but its the question the thread poses.
That's not daft. I remember a game where the GM had us playing characters based on ourselves. It was using the old 0-level characters rules given in the 1st Ed. "Greyhawk Adventures" book. That was a mad storyline!

Dark Knight Renee
2005-12-21, 10:33 PM
... A good-aligned drow without being accused of Drizzt-cloning. I plan to see what any DM things of this whenever I find a group I don't have to DM for ::)

What ability score quizes? ???

Gerrtt
2005-12-21, 11:02 PM
I love everyones crazy responses...the Spirit Shaman/Warmage/Geomancer really caught my attention. Keep them coming guys.

Mephistopheles
2005-12-21, 11:07 PM
Firstly, I did something like that, Renloth. I'm running (sort of, we haven't played in forever) a D20 modern game where all of our characters are modeled after ourselves. I figured, to make it more realistic, to use 25 point buy, starting at 8, so our stats reflect weaknesses as well as strengths. And D20 modern uses an entirely different class system and makes it much much much easier to adapt your real life to it, since it is made for, well, real life. Heh. But you should check it out if that's what you're looking for.

And, as for stuff I'd like to play... a shugenja, from Complete Divine. It just seems like it would be fun, but I've never had a chance. I'd like to actually play an effigy master sometime. I had one in one campaign, but it was designed more like an RTS than a D&D game so I didn't really get to play it, and in another game, I played it from 1st level, and on my 8th freaking level, the level I took effigy master, before I could finish crafting anything, the campaign fell apart because we had gotten too much crap from this module we were running, which gave us way too much loot. *sigh* Oh well. Um, I'd also like to play a drunken master, and a million other things that refuse to come to mind at this particular moment.

But, alas, I'm in no D&D games right now, just a star wars one, and the D&D game I will be in is going to be X-Crawl, which is D&D SmashTV. And for that I plan to be an argent savant, and overuse all of the bigby's _____ hand spells. A lot. Should be fun, and hopefully the game will actually last.

Fhaolan
2005-12-22, 01:56 AM
Are we limited to d20, or can I mention a 'Werewolf' character?

I've never actually played 'Werewolf' or 'Vampire' or any of the White Wolf games. I have some of the rules, but none of my friends are interested in that kind of game, and all the other groups I have run into were not really... socially compatable with me. :)

In brief, I wanted to play a Metis. For those who don't know, a Metis is what happens when two werewolves love each other... :) And they are always born sterile and deformed. The tricky part is this: I wanted the deformity to be that the werewolf couldn't shapeshift. He was permanently stuck in the Crinos form (half-man half-wolf). This also made the character pretty much unplayable, as shapeshifting is kinda the point in the Werewolf game. :)

Niasen
2005-12-22, 04:16 AM
I wish I could play my Ogre Barbarian again, or at least a variation of him. He had a few shining moments like using a Human being tied to the end of a rope as an improvised range weapon and then being chopped up and sold as components by a mage, but I had SUCH high hopes for him. I want to play someone with LOTS of strength, because I want to be able to use that strength in weird and different ways (Look at my improvised weapon above for example). For instance, instead of just kicking a door down and getting swarmed, kick it open gently, rip it off its hinges, and PRESTO, instant Large shield to be used for bullrushing ;D

luffy316
2005-12-22, 04:18 AM
I want to play a fighter who thinks he's a cleric.

A similar thought you've inspired:

Have a fighter who does everythingl he can to find a item like a Rod of Healing, or at least buys dozens upon dozens of healing potions. Then have him leap at every chance to heal others, especially when the team's cleric had just offered to. Put the choir boy out of a job ;D

Leon
2005-12-22, 04:59 AM
RP Character: A Half-Celestial Paladin. I understand why no DM in their right mind would allow that template, and I'm very rarely a player, at any rate (it's been about 7 months since I was a player. I miss it :'().

ive had a H-C Paladin in a game i was Dming, yes it was powerful but on the flip side still weak - he had less hp than the sorcerer and he found flying in fullplate rather difficult

Katonta
2005-12-28, 12:53 AM
What i've always wanted to play is a mute bard that knows telepathy in all languages :). Then I would choose one character and only talk to (s)he so the rest of the party would never belive (s)he that i could use telepathy. But that would be almost impossible because mute bards are about useless (unless (s)he used signlanguage).

Nerd-o-rama
2005-12-28, 01:35 AM
I've gotten to play a few unusual but fun characters through freeform games on this forum: a Gish build that I didn't have to painstakingly min/max to be effective (and also a pragmatically dark hero), a God of Physics, and soon, an insane goblin cleric. I gained a lot of admiration for the little guys in Army D&D, and now I get to play one who's not an utter mook.

Umm...better pretend I didn't say that last one. It's kinda supposed to be a secret...

katonta: Just have him play an instrument. Those don't require speech. Flutes are archetypal for mute musicians, though any could work just as well.

Gnomick
2005-12-28, 03:26 AM
I've always wanted to play an Elocator. For those who don't know, it's a psionic prestige class which focuses on mobility and travel. It would be realy fun to play a mobility-trip-monkey Elocator, but he would suck before 12th level.

I just like the idea of being impossible to pin down, of being able to go anywhere anywhen for anyreason, and of having a solid party role besides "kill stuff."

I also realy want to play a half-elf urban-ranger/seer/slayer with leadership, expanded knowledge (read thoughts), and lots of ranks in autohypnosis. He would run an information trafficking business in the depths of Sharn's seedy underbelly. He would have a goblin monk/rogue as his bodyguard and second-in-command, as well as a secret network of moles.

His moles would be people from all walks of life, whom are compelled either through blackmail or debt of kindness to follow the orders of the mysterious voice echoing in their heads. They know that if they go where they are told, or grab this or that useless scrap, that they'll be rewarded duely. What they don't know is that my seer is looking through their eyes with sense link, and that when the useless scrap they grabbed later disapeers it ends up my seer's hand as the subject of an object reading.

By now you must be saying to yourself "that's all well and good, but how does this seer fit into a standard party?" My seer, thanks to the slayer PrC, fills the role of skirmisher as well as support/utility caster. With a couple dorjes he can also fill the role of ranged fighter or blaster. When he's out adventuring his goblin cohort gives his moles fake missions to ensure they don't think they're off the hook, and to ensure they stay loyal.

Ditto on the Prince of Persia thing. There's a feat for wall-running but it's psionic and I've never liked diluting martial classes with nonmartial char. levels.
You realy aught to read through the psionics rules (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/psionic.html) again. You missed a couple points. Mainly that you don't need to multiclass to take the Up The Walls feat. It's a psionic feat, which just means you need to have a powerpoint reserve to take it. You can get a powerpoint reserve very easily without multiclassing. There is a feat called Wild Talent which is specifically made to give any character a powerpoint reserve. It has no prerequisites.

In order to pull off what he does in Prince of Persia- Sands of Time, the prince would have to have the following feats: dodge, mobility, spring attack, wild talent, and up the walls. He would also need lots of ranks in tumble, jump, balance, and climb. I think he would have mostly levels in rogue and monk. Possibly four each.

The sword, whatever else it is, definatly has the ability to manifest time regression (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/psionicPowersQtoW.html#time-regression) at least once a day.

If you ever do play a psionic class make sure you remember the golden rule of psionics; "you can not spend more power points on a single power than your manifester level." And there are two martial psionic classes, FYI. Three if you count certain Wilder builds.

What i've always wanted to play is a mute bard that knows telepathy in all languages :). Then I would choose one character and only talk to (s)he so the rest of the party would never belive (s)he that i could use telepathy. But that would be almost impossible because mute bards are about useless (unless (s)he used signlanguage).
Once again psionics comes to the rescue. Play a thought-singer (http://www.bossythecow.com/classes.htm). It's a psionic base class which is essentially a bard retooled to work with psionic game mechanics and flavor. They have inate telepathy, and use empathic projection to inspire their allies rather than music.

The thought-singer was written by Keith Baker, the creator of Eberron.

Ladoran
2005-12-28, 05:10 AM
There is one character idea which I would like to play but I'm not sure I could pull it off properly and it would take some cooperation from the DM.

A diviner specialist wizard who has dreamt his entire life but forgotten it again. He gets flashes of his dream once in a while and this has driven him to study divination. It also gives small premonitions and helps him with his divination spells as regards events in his life. Perhaps build him towards mystic theurge as he could begin to contemplate a greater divine presence behind his situation.

Hmm it sounds cooler in my head :-).

Ryver
2005-12-28, 12:11 PM
I've always wanted to play an unarmored character with a long sword. Not a longsword, maybe a greatsword or bastard sword. I dunno.

Also, I'm in the mood for high-power right now. Like... superheroes :D

Which means I want to beat things down hard. With a large axe, maybe. :D

Mephistopheles
2005-12-28, 11:02 PM
For the Star Wars world, I'd really like to play this prestige class I found in the ultimate aliens book, which is basically a futuristic force-using druid. No shape-changing, but it has an animal companion, and can summon animals that are on the same planet as them, that gain abilities just like the animal companion. It just looks fun.

And also, I'd like to play a really souped-up battle droid. Since you can't play the standard one, the sergeant battle droid, but free-willed. Just as frail as the regular battle droid, but I'd add like a force field with a stun field, cool guns, and all sorts of interesting gadgets.

I'd also like to play a warforged, either in an eberron game or a regulard D&D setting a la races of eberron. I'd play him as a martial class who enjoys drawing, and sketches all of his friends and the things he sees, and also I'd make him so that he enjoys every experience he gets and thinks everything is cool. The whole sort of child-like outlook is just rather appealing.

Frank
2005-12-28, 11:22 PM
I want to play the D and D equivalent of the guy in that Cowboy Bebop episode, "Mushroom Samba", the drags the coffin around by a rope so he can bury the guy who sold his brother bad drugs.

That'd be awesome to flesh out.

-Frank

The_Werebear
2005-12-29, 12:19 AM
A half orc monk Boxer.

That, or a Doc Frankenstien type character, cranking out flesh golems.

RandomNPC
2005-12-29, 12:22 AM
ive always wanted to play a wizard from first level and get past 5th without the game falling apart. the only game i've been a part of that hasn't fallen apart in two months of every other week gaming is the two year old game im running right now. as the DM. bleh. atleast im finally teaching one of them to DM so hes not totally overwhelmed when i ask if he wants to run a game so i can play.

but this isnt the thread for complaining.

so i would also like to play a character with two 18 stats, maybe a wizard fighter, or a monk sorc. one of those two for one deals.
a monk cleric, the wis. goes twards armor and spells, weapon finess unarmed, dex goes crazy, and you can cast bulls strength, cats grace, and all those without asking someone for it. wow, to much free time.

Hyrael
2005-12-29, 01:09 AM
a Beyonder Bard

Beyonders are something i came up with, a sort of planetouched from the Far Realm,
Outsider (native)
+2 con, -2 wis, +2 cha
blur 1/day
resist acid 5, electricity 5, cold 5
blindsense 60 ft
+2 hide, +2 move silently, +1 LA
along with those Blasphemous Utterance feats from Dragon 336

I can be a bit loopy, with cool bard powers and so on... kind of like Elan, but with translucent skin and tentacle fingers. Being able to play weird, alien songs and step out of reality

and...It would work! sadly, I only play D&D as a DM, because i dont know anyone who is capable of doing it (Im not even sure i am), but theres always play by post games.

Alchemistmerlin
2005-12-29, 01:52 AM
I've always wanted to play a WORKING necromancer. I've never successfully made one and the PRCs for them kinda suck ass.

Case
2005-12-29, 02:31 AM
Weeeell let me think...

A Kung Fu style Monk who only can speak "Language: Bad Dubbing."

A gnome barbarian - sorcerer with a penguin for a familiar for some odd reason (Imagine raging + making illusions of yourself = Many many angery midgets.)

A cyborg-pirate-ninja just because.

Wally
2005-12-29, 02:56 AM
I had a character thought up for an upcoming campaign, but that was scrapped.
It's a Psychic Warrior 3 / Fighter 2 / Warmind 10. The purpose was to build a character that could fight and manifest efficiently even while completely surrounded (Warmind's Sweeping Strike ability is awesome)
Also, if I had to pick one evil character, it'd be a Ghost-Faced Killer, hands down. The epitome of horror; I feel it supercedes the blackguard.
Then there's a Thri-Kreen Monk with shuriken. I could never figure out how that would turn out (with Multiattack of course).
I've also wanted to play Geomancers, Stormlords, Pyrokineticists, and endless variations of rogues and ninjas.

Frank
2005-12-29, 03:14 AM
As a bonus, you could hunt with the rest of the clan. The Wu-Tang clan.

-Frank the "Ghostface Killah" mark.

Katonta
2005-12-29, 03:45 AM
[quote author=Nerd-o-rama katonta: Just have him play an instrument. Those don't require speech. Flutes are archetypal for mute musicians, though any could work just as well.[/quote]
Thanks Nerd, I thought bards had to sing (Whew ;D).
Gnomick: I might try that sometime sounds like it would be fun :)

Well back to lurcking :). i'll see ya when i see ya

Hoseki
2005-12-29, 03:54 PM
I've always really wanted to play a character that kind of said 'Screw you' to racial ability mods. Y'know, a dwarven sorcerer, an elven barbarian, a half-orc wizard/paladin...

AND I'd really like to play an Illumian (Races of Destiny). A monk illumian, because monks are awesome, who would have flaming fists...

A flawful character with a terrifying greatsword. (i.e., +2 wounding thundering un/holy keen shocking burst greatsword) My DM wrote up some mental disorders (and game effects thereof) here, (http://www.wickedtribe.net/alicorn/mentalillness.html) and I think she would suffer from general anxiety disorder, obsessive compulsive personality disorder, depression, and schizophrenia.

Azrael
2005-12-29, 04:19 PM
Honestly, in my last 4 characters, I've pretty much covered the bases. But there's one thing left...

(most of you will scream for my blood, but hey...)

Gestalt. There are sooo many crazy flavors that can be created. Especially if the base is human, so you can multiclass with reckless abandon (still maintaining the proper level balances of course)

Just for a little while, with the core group (4 people) I usually play with. I trust 'em. It'd be a blast.

Ravyn
2005-12-29, 05:13 PM
Shapeshifter (I'm thinking forest gnome wereferret, probably a druid), in desperate need of someone to teach her how to act in society and currently so people-shy that around everyone other than the party, she pretends to be another party member's familiar. Preferably played along with an overdramatic spellcaster (any type, but an overdramatic half-celestial always banking on her heavenly heritage would be such a riot!) who takes the credit for everything she does.

I actually attempted something like this, back when I had a DM who'd permit anything if you made an effort to balance it and came up with a good enough backstory. Such a blast, and now that I'm actually good with the system...

luffy316
2005-12-29, 06:10 PM
As a bonus, you could hunt with the rest of the clan. The Wu-Tang clan.

-Frank the "Ghostface Killah" mark.

Well, you tell em to watch their backs! Cuz the Goat-Face Killah is on the loose!

That's... that's me. I'm the Goat-Face Killah

But i've gladly come to see something recently. While i am the only one in my group with the wish to DM, my players have become wanted men (but honestly, in what good campaign do the players NOT become alleged criminals?).

I found myself whipping up some unique mercenaries, bounty hunters etc., allowing me to make whatever characters i can dream up.
They include:
My forementioned halfling barbarian

A half-orc paladin, raised by a clergyman and without enough self-confidence to do much but follow his church's orders

A druid (named Lorax) who works with a giant python (as in GIANT, not just 15 feet or whatever "wussy" length real snakes have)

A very grim magician with a homonculus based on GIR from Invader Zim

I look forward to using them, both for their memorable qualities and the damage they can do ;D

ninja_kitsune
2005-12-29, 06:33 PM
I've currently got a Kitsune ninja that I'm quite happy with. I just need to get him to higher levels. He's awsome, because he's a ninja that lives in the Forgotten Realms area, having run away from his homelands to make a ninjitsu guild following his orders.

Malachi, the Lich King
2005-12-29, 07:19 PM
I don't know if I can claim that this is a character that I've always wanted to play but at least since 3rd edition came out I haven't had a chance to be the party rogue. Doesn't matter what race but a skilled swindler and confidence man type that can talk people out of their lucre rather than a sneaky steal type. I've got 2 different campaigns pending right now where I have finally snagged the rogue so this is coming very close to fruition.

Were_Sock
2005-12-30, 03:41 AM
I've always wanted to play a gnome rogue. I don't know why, just sounds kind of fun :). She would be diplomatic and charismatic like a bard, but without being a bard since bards use magic and I tend to suck with magic classes, both divine and arcane. I have played one once, but she was an NPC so it ruined all the fun.
Another one that seems pretty cool would be an elven barbarian who thinks he's a dwarf... or something. It would be an attempt to destroy the DM's sanity.
Everything else I've wanted to play I've played. Except having an entire party consisting only of bards. I can only dream :(

Soniku
2005-12-30, 07:41 AM
I would love to play something like a phasm (a shape shifter with no natural form) I actually got to once, but it was a one off session and after that they NEVER let me play as one again...

Most people thought it would be worthless but they didnt realise you can morph into pretty much anything *punch in the gut with a stone fist*

DracoDei
2007-07-16, 03:45 AM
Dream character to play? A wereskunk <Snip>

Actually built a champaign around wereskunks (No racial alignment but cultural alignment was: Usually NG) and am playing on in the campaign I am currently in (LA +1, Monk class).

Morty
2007-07-16, 04:23 AM
I've always wanted to play *gasp* a goblin character. Probably rogue, but lately I've imagined goblin paladin of slaughter/tyranny or maybe LE or CE paladin using Fax' variant riding on worg. Or a goblin ranger with gnomes and elves as favored enemies. Anyway, next campaign I'll play goblin, provided that DM will allow monster races. He would slaughter humans and yell: "Who's the easy XP NOW?"
EDIT: Gah, I didn't notice thread necromancy :smalleek:

Armads
2007-07-16, 04:27 AM
I've always wanted to play a Basket Weaver for campaigns.

Swooper
2007-07-16, 05:04 AM
Wow, forum necromancy :smalleek: *pulls out several holy symbols* Back whence ye came, foul thread! :smallamused:

F.L.
2007-07-16, 07:01 AM
Back in second ed, I wanted to play a vampiric cleric of the numbers domain. Ah ah ah ah ah!

SadisticFishing
2007-07-16, 06:49 PM
Silver Half-Dragon Elf Duskblade, with the Spring Attack chain is one character I really want to play, but none of our campaigns are serious enough to play an ostracized character that lives over 3,000 years...

Other things I want to play are: a binder (any race, any backstory), a whisper gnome druid (I played on in a campaign, but that only lasted one session because womenz are crazy), and a simple wizard (grey elf). I may just play an Arcane Hierophant at some point, as wizards and druids are a *tad* overpowered :P

I also have a BBEG LE Grey Elf Lich (with 37 int) in my campaign I'd want to play in a campaign for sure, but it's too complicated, too powerful, and I don't like playing evil that much.

Serenity
2007-07-16, 08:02 PM
Eberron: Exiled Argonessen barbarian/sorcerer going into Dragon Disciple. He had been training under the tribe's shaman, who he believed was his father, when he learned the truth: his real father was the last chieftan, poisoned by the traitorous current one. Being a callow youth, he decides to challenge the chieftan and claim his rightful place, only to get his butt kicked and sent away.

In general, a paladin who used to be a Big Bad.

Anxe
2007-07-16, 08:43 PM
A shadowbane inquisitor/blackguard. You need only one level in Rogue and the rest are used up as prestige classes. Awesome! Never play a campaign that high level though.

0oo0
2007-07-16, 09:28 PM
I always wanted to play a gnome Soulknife/Pyrokineticist. Completely insane little man who can summon swords and fire with his mind. For some reason DMs haven't really liked this idea...

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-07-16, 09:38 PM
I always wanted to play a gnome Soulknife/Pyrokineticist. Completely insane little man who can summon swords and fire with his mind. For some reason DMs haven't really liked this idea...

I have done this, only he was human and had the Raptor School feat. That had to be the most fun character I ever played (well, him and the Warblade/Dervish). Too bad we never got to the point in the campaign where he would have had Improved Trip. He did have 2/day Dissolving Weapon also. That was totally funny. Adding in the fact that we played the "Energy Gestalt" (CompMage) before it was an actual "wicked-restrictive now that I think about it" feat.

The character that I never got to play was the sword-and-board fighter or a wildshaping Druid. The melee classes that I always played (the rogues monks, soulknives, dervishes, swordsages) were all more sneaky types. I did the wizard , psion, cleric, sorcerer thing and was happy, but I like being in the thick of things; being the first one to take out the enemy spellcaster at the beginning of combat.

The Great Skenardo
2007-07-16, 09:41 PM
Mummy Hexblade. (Curses curses curses!)

Lemur
2007-07-16, 10:16 PM
There are all sorts of characters I'd like to play, but I suppose if I were to put my finger on something, I'd like to be allowed to play a psionic character one of these days.

Winged One
2007-07-16, 10:34 PM
I've often wanted to play a lich, but most of the campaigns that are high enough level on these boards are so focused on powergaming that the LA is absoultely crippling.

Rofl-Falafal
2007-07-16, 11:05 PM
No one will ever let me play a satyr! Why not? Just because they get magic pipes, hella natural armor and a +2 racial bonus to...everything...

No, what I've always wanted to play is a spellcaster, probably Cleric, who was blind. He would be treated in game terms as though he could see. Not bonuses for it, no drawbacks. There wouldn't even be a feat he'd need to take or something. He'd just be treated as though he could see. Naturally, he couldn't make Spot checks, and he probably wouldn't be so great at Sense Motive since he can't see the person, but that's where the high wisdom score comes in! Ungodly listen bonuses too, but it wouldn't be all that jacked since he's blind.

For stupidity's sake, I've always wanted a character that wielded a stop sign as a weapon.

Alleine
2007-07-16, 11:52 PM
Right now I want some Large fighter dual wielding two Huge mercurial greatswords with an insane str, even at the cost of all other stats. I just want an unstoppable tank. You know, wearing super enchanted mountain plate or something.

Also, looking into a swarm-shifter template, not sure of the race yet. It'll be weird since its a template, not a class, but based completely on swarming. And its undead and all. My group hasn't been evil yet. But there's hope, I've only been playing DnD months, not yet years. Hopefully college will bring something good.

I believe, though, no matter where I go I'll always search for a cooler monk. That in itself is damning because I'll play a monk, try to get a better one, then a better one than that, and that, and so on.

Draz74
2007-07-17, 01:06 AM
I want to play a Nymph. Preferably in a Gestalt game, where the LA and RHD won't hurt as much. A Nymph Rogue//Favored Soul. With insanely high Charisma.

I also want to play the Half-Giant Ranger/Psychic Warrior/Slayer build that I recently came up with.

Oh, and I wouldn't mind re-playing my old longest-running 2E character under more-structured 3E rules. He was an elven gish who got into epic levels. He could be a Duskblade, but I think maybe a Fighter/Wu Jen/Spellsword/Abjurant Champion/Eldritch Knight/Archmage/Legendary Dreadnought might be more fitting. :smallamused:

Joltz
2007-07-17, 01:11 AM
Sadly, a very munchkin one. The Grafter(forget exact name) from Lords of Madness, with about 20 tentacles(some are Fiendish grafts, others from feats, like the one in LoM that grants you them), and some 20'+ of reach via Extended Reach(I think that's the name, also from LoM), Stretch Tentacle(Savage Species), and possibly one or two others. Coupled with Epic Combat Reflexes, maybe Large and In Charge, etc. The sort of fellow who can essentially keep you at bay all day(barring the cheesiness of Force-cage and its &quot;You cannot break me, neener neener neener&quot; nonsense.)
ahh ahh bad thoughts :smalleek: *zips mouth before mention of certain topic slips out*
Anyway...

I DM almost as often as I play, so I've only gotten to play a small fraction of the characters I've dreamed up. Mostly I've played rogues and other sneaky type people so far. Some of these are all statted out in my head waiting for someone to announce they'll DM a campaign for once.

ideas ideas...
-A paladin who's easy to get along with--lawful good, but definitely not lawful anal. He'd probably be an elf and use the charging smite variant too.

-A reasonably effective swashbuckler who dual wields. I'm playing a character like this now, but the DM keeps throwing crap (read NPCs with too much money for gear) at us so I miss with 5/7 of my attacks usually then get beaten half to death (in one round) before the casters blow it up with a DC 37 save or die spell.

-A monk/fighter build I made that uses a glaive (she calls it a naginata). I statted it out for use and it looks really fun. I'm either using this if my current character dies or using her as a high level minion of the BBEG (with the possibility of being betrayed and joining the party)

-A swordsage or warblade. Martial adepts look like fun incarnate but I haven't made a new PC for myself since I got the book.

-Pun pun. Because my group of powergamers needs to see that there is such a thing as too much optimization to be playable.

-A batman wizard specializing in divination and barred from evocation. Because they don't know that blasting is inefficient.

I have more ideas, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Zim
2007-07-17, 09:35 AM
Thayan Paladin of Kossuth. The thought of playing a LG character of a church who's dogma is based on survival of the fittest and in a land where evil is the establishment would lead for an insane roleplaying opportunity (or maybe it would just drive me insane :smallsmile: ). Unfortunately, most of the players in my group are all habitually CN gold diggers with no interest in morality plays. :smallfrown:

tobian
2007-07-17, 10:05 AM
I've got two a the moment:

Archivist 5/Malconvoker 9/Thaumaturgist 5/X 1
The ultimate summoner. Access to Summon Natures Ally series, Summon Monster series, Planar Ally series and (from Malconvoker) Planar Binding series-anything I want to summon I can. Also, access to all divine spells to top it off :smallbiggrin:
^Attempting to get my DM to let me test it in our current campaign.

The second one is a bit more vague in that I don't have a build for it yet, but basically an enchanter. (I want to have friends/minions!:smallamused:) I haven't looked to far into the beguiler yet, but I have heard that it is exactly what I am looking for.

I've never had to worry about controlling anything but my own character before, so I'm curious how I could handle some underlings. Also, the paperwork could be a bit of a nightmare keeping track of everything.

mauslin
2007-07-17, 10:16 AM
I want to play a low wisdom, high charisma druid using the Giant's Fey Blood feat, with maxed handle animal, who tries to make friends with everything. She'd try to make friends with a terrasque if she could. Then she'd get bored and wander off.
Basically a Diplomancer, except for animals instead of people.

mostlyharmful
2007-07-17, 11:09 AM
troll bard, ridiculously rubbish but funny as hell, esspecially if you put him in Hose and codpiece..... dwell on that mental picture.... now factor in the big swanky hat with gigantic feathered plume.

Capt'n Ironbrow
2007-07-17, 11:11 AM
I always wanted to play a Entertainer-Troubadour (WFRP)... they're only good at social interaction when they start, but can progress into spies, and being a ladies man will be a natural thing instead of a compulsion of insanity (as it is with my cleric).

SilverClawShift
2007-07-17, 02:44 PM
troll bard, ridiculously rubbish

One of my party actually played a troll bard. Who became a copper dragon disciple. Which grants immunity to acid. He wore a ring of Major Fire resistance. He wasn't invincible, and magic could still slap him around, but he was physically ridiculous.

I always wanted to play a halfling Dwarven Defender. With three levels of "Stoneblessed" to let me count as a dwarf, I'd qualify for the class.
Then my DM sighed, and said "okay", and I realized I didn't actually want to PLAY it, I just wanted to see my DMs response.

Nahal
2007-07-17, 06:05 PM
Either the shadow magic Killer Gnome build (with a smattering of necromancy) basing the personality of the evil protagonist in this comic (http://lfgcomic/com), or a shaper/constructor who thinks his astral constructs are actually sentient beings. I have the names and abilities for four stock ones already picked out (at 9th level at least).

Llewelyn
2007-07-18, 12:17 AM
I've had a few I've wanted to play that never got off the ground, or have yet to find a campaign I can fit them in:

A) A Warforged Dragonfire Adept built in(or later modded into) a humanoid dragon shape. After all, if dragons are so feared and revered in Eberron, what better weapon against your foe than something in that very shape, and that can emulate it's abilities? Of course the project was too expensive so it was scrapped after the prototype... ;)

B) A dragonwrought kobold Dragon Shaman - The little dragon wanna-be, proving to the world it's not size that counts. I think the way I had it figured out the character would be one ability, maybe two short of completely emulating a dragon.

C) My latest one is going to be for RPGA, but I haven't found a local session to get her started in yet... a grappler monk that goes into DD and tears them apart with teeth and claw.

Most everything else I've gotten out of my system one way or another, but those three are the ones that have yet to see the light of day.

Curmudgeon
2007-07-18, 03:15 PM
A Varag Monk. Varags (Monster Manual IV) have a base 60' land speed. With the Monk speed enhancement I could run around like a cheetah (actually faster than the D&D version of that animal) all day.

dragonwings
2007-07-18, 09:41 PM
Mn... a sphinx sorcerer with every spell possible converted to lightening energy types.

Elven Thrall of Orcus, some sort of spider or scorpion Vermin Lord, Pale Master...

Let's see... I'd like to play my Cajun druid with her two animal companions Boudreaux and Thibbadeaux (if there was any way at all to get two animal companions). Oh! And I would kill to play my LE Cleric of Wee Jas all the way through her rather weird storyline. I've got a DM for the last two. The others... meh. Pretty much just ideas floating in my head.

Cryopyre
2007-07-18, 10:11 PM
A Wen-Ju monk, I probably will later, once I figure out a way to circumvent the whole law-only monk thing through houserules.

Talyn
2007-07-18, 11:06 PM
I've got this character in my head, whom I will NEVER get to play, but I want to SO BADLY.

He's a paladin. So what, you say, I always play paladins. Yes, well, the gimmick behind this paladin is he is a) the champion of a minor goddess not known for having paladins, and b) is in love with his goddess. Not just "worships" but "romantically in love."

The character was originally designed for Forgotten Realms, so the Red Knight was the choice for such a goddess (yay, an excuse to have a high INT paladin!). He'd be just as fervent in his prayer and devotion, and just as courageous - he wants to impress his goddess so that she might consider him as a suitor! And he always hopes that she will appear to him in a dream again...

It would be up to the DM how to run it from there, of course - is the goddess flattered? Indifferent? Annoyed? Confused? Does she think it is cute? Will she let this presumptuous but oh-so-loyal mortal flirt with her, if she even remembers her mortal life well enough to remember flirting?

Man, you could do SO MUCH with this. I want to play D+D now, but I can't. :smallfrown:

Dareon
2007-07-19, 06:09 AM
A Wen-Ju monk, I probably will later, once I figure out a way to circumvent the whole law-only monk thing through houserules.

An issue of Dragon Magazine somewhere in the 320-330 range has the Chaos Monk, which gains a random number of attacks instead of a single extra hit from flurry, among other chaos-related shifts.

One character I'd enjoy building and playing would be "Mr. Squiddy", a (Human) Psychic Warrior with the Illithid Heritage/Grapple/Extraction tree and the Illithid Slayer PrC. Kind of a case of "I hate you, dad!"

Otherwise, ones I've got kicking around waiting for appropriate places to play them:

Mounted Small character, non-Fighter. Possibly Halfling Druid (With racial substitution level for 1st at least)/Halfling Outrider.

Finesse Barbarian, probably with a totem variant from Unearthed Arcana.

Gnome Ranger with levels in either Totemist or Warblade, using either the Hunter's Circlet soulmeld or Hunter's Sense stance. Codename: The Nose.

One I've actually built for intended play is a Wu Jen/Ardent/Cerebremancer. From Louisiana. She knows voodoo. (Set on Earth, based on the Castlevania series)

On the gripping hand, I'd love to play a Kobold or Rilkan (MoI) character. Those, along with Warforged, are the only non-human characters I really find interesting. Doppelgangers/Changelings rank up there, however.

Solo
2007-07-19, 06:44 AM
I've always wanted to play a rainbow themed sorcerer.

Dhavaer
2007-07-19, 07:12 AM
Aerethi, a human illusionist whose game died about a year ago. I suppose it wouldn't be the same with different players, though.

Deepblue706
2007-07-19, 01:16 PM
I've simply wanted to play a Gish at mid-level.

Or a character that pretty much rips off Zatoichi.

Or maybe one as badass as Kenpachi from the anime/manga, Bleach.

But the enjoyment of those, of course, would be rather fleeting. The only characters I really want to play are those that strike me as ideal when given specific opportunities for character development in a well-established campaign world. Without context to guide my thoughts, I honestly don't really care.

Telonius
2007-07-19, 02:20 PM
I've got this character in my head, whom I will NEVER get to play, but I want to SO BADLY.

He's a paladin. So what, you say, I always play paladins. Yes, well, the gimmick behind this paladin is he is a) the champion of a minor goddess not known for having paladins, and b) is in love with his goddess. Not just "worships" but "romantically in love."

The character was originally designed for Forgotten Realms, so the Red Knight was the choice for such a goddess (yay, an excuse to have a high INT paladin!). He'd be just as fervent in his prayer and devotion, and just as courageous - he wants to impress his goddess so that she might consider him as a suitor! And he always hopes that she will appear to him in a dream again...

It would be up to the DM how to run it from there, of course - is the goddess flattered? Indifferent? Annoyed? Confused? Does she think it is cute? Will she let this presumptuous but oh-so-loyal mortal flirt with her, if she even remembers her mortal life well enough to remember flirting?

Man, you could do SO MUCH with this. I want to play D+D now, but I can't. :smallfrown:

This could certainly work in Forgotten Realms, given how often the gods are wandering around in Faerun. I had a similar character concept, with Selune as the patron goddess. He was a sorcerer/Arcane Devotee; lots of fun to play. (Probably would have been an Exalted Arcanist if BoED had been available at the time). You might want to look into the Divine Champion PrC if you end up playing your warrior-guy.

The one character I've always wanted to play: Human Fighter or Barbarian with low-ish charisma. I've played wizards, rogues, clerics, monks, and rangers of varying races, but never a simple human fighter.

SolkaTruesilver
2007-07-19, 03:01 PM
My dream char: Gork the Humanorc, Uniter of his Race

Half-Orc, Kensai/Outcast Champion

Peregrine
2007-07-19, 03:23 PM
I've got no less than three major want-to-play characters rattling around my head right now. The third was added just yesterday in a flash of inspiration.

1. A diviner (-> loremaster). Mainly dreamt up for the fun of playing a Batman wizard (and it'd be great if I got to play him in my current game -- the group as a whole has the traditional blaster-caster mindset), but I've taken the concept and run with it. Diviner is more than just a cheap way to specialise for this character. :smallsmile: He's really into knowing things, isn't above telling his group that this or that is 'in accordance with the prophecy' (only half-joking, or is he?), worships a god of knowledge and magic...

2. A fighter with a few magical aces up his sleeve. This one shifts around a lot, but the current incarnation in my head is Zefon Copperson, who fights with a ranseur and a bunch of canny tricks. He might be a human or a dwarf (dwarf suits well but I want the 30ft speed), he claims draconic ancestry (not very openly, but it's true), and he'll go into Dragon Disciple in due time. (I keep wanting to change him from copper dragon to a lightning-breather and call him Thunderson instead, but then I'd prefer to change his personality from a copper-like trickster to something more bronze-like... or blue-like. But I like the idea of him spitting lightning rather than acid.)

3. The new one: A lightly-armoured horseman, fighting with a plumed lance or with a sabre and shield. He has a thin moustache and a long queue on an otherwise shaved head. He's an accomplished healer and a clever tactician, as well as a fair singer who prays to his god twice a day with song and meditation. The general fluff is obviously inspired by Eastern European or Mongol horsemen, but guess what? He's a paladin.

Gerrtt
2007-07-19, 07:41 PM
This was some serious thread necromancy...I was seriously shocked to see I had a thread going, then I looked at the date on it. This thing went almost 2 years without a post in it, just check page 3.

What I said originally still stands, but I would also like to add in that I really want to try out a PHB2 druid.

Prustan
2007-07-20, 12:05 AM
I have a fascination with playing Winged characters. In particular, I'd love to play a Winged Elf Rogue or Wizard - a possible 24 Dex at 1st level, with perfect maneuverability.

horseboy
2007-07-20, 01:12 AM
Just for sheer shock rp value. I'd LOVE to be able to drop an Earthdawn Scorcher into a d20 setting. His mount? A unicorn.
"What? Yeah, I'm an orc. Yeah, that's my unicorn. What? Why you looking at me like that? Bah! I give you and your quaalz brained alignment concepts the buunda!"

Stormcrow
2007-07-20, 01:18 AM
Mn... a sphinx sorcerer with every spell possible converted to lightening energy types.

Elven Thrall of Orcus, some sort of spider or scorpion Vermin Lord, Pale Master...

Let's see... I'd like to play my Cajun druid with her two animal companions Boudreaux and Thibbadeaux (if there was any way at all to get two animal companions). Oh! And I would kill to play my LE Cleric of Wee Jas all the way through her rather weird storyline. I've got a DM for the last two. The others... meh. Pretty much just ideas floating in my head.

Beastmaster gets three animal companions I believe.

Shisumo
2007-07-20, 08:58 AM
Good-aligned human sorcerer with Fiendish Heritage, headed to malconvoker because his magics won't let him summon anything but evil creatures...

Swooper
2007-07-20, 09:14 AM
Seeing as the mods are either on summer vacation or ignoring the threadomancy going on here... I might as well post.

I think if I started a new character today, it'd be a grey elf conjurer (divination and evocation forbidden). I'd use the PHB2 Abrupt Jaunt instead of a familiar, and go into several prestige classes: Mage of the Arcane Order (7 levels), Fatespinner (4 levels), Archmage (at least 2 levels) and either Geometer or Master Specialist (depending on the DM). I've never played a real Batman wizard, although I have played high level arcane casters before.

I'd also like to play a smiting melee cleric type, possibly a dwarf, possibly going to the Warpriest PrC.

Or a wood-elf duskblade, gnome warlock, northern human hexblade with a wolf theme, human blue dragon shaman, swordsage (/wizard/JPM?), half elf female knight with red hair and an oversized sword, githyanki psychic warrior... ah, the possibilities are endless.

continuumc
2007-09-24, 04:58 PM
I've always wanted to play a pureblood yuanti sorceror..never gotten to though. The LA just kills me..

my_evil_twin
2007-09-24, 05:42 PM
Lately I've wanted to play a Thaumaturgist. Maybe not the actual PrC, but some sort of wizard who makes the denizens of the Outer Planes his errand boys. I've always wanted to get some use out of the second version of magic circle against evil.

AKA_Bait
2007-09-25, 09:42 AM
Oddly, I've always wanted to play a Paladin with an arabian flavor to it (think Warcamel). Since I'm usually the DM and in the games I'm not the DM's tend to like superfantastic 'everyone is a dragon' or 'everyone is the chosen of Mystra' type games that character hasn't ever gotten to see the light of day. Sigh.

Also, a Warlock/Spell theif or Beguiler.

Godna
2007-09-25, 09:54 AM
An Aging fighter who is a source of experience and knowledge for the group who falls in combat and get reincarnated by a druid into a younger more able body who than pledges his life in their service for giving this aging warrior one last chance to make his mark in the world.

Cogwheel
2007-09-25, 10:11 AM
Right now? Two concepts that I will shove into games in due course...

One is a lizardfolk bard 1/warblade all the rest, with possible war chanter. Also has the draconic template. he was always something of a celebrity for being dragonblooded/generally uber in a fight, especially since fighting is valued a lot by lizardfolk (or rather, strength). he couldn't stand the attention, so he tried to tone it down a little, not going all-out unless he had to. Alas, fighting for his tribe qualified for that pretty much every time. So, eventually, he left in the middle of the night, and was never seen again by the members of his tribe. he joins an adventuring party as fighting is what he does best, but uses his bardic abilities, such as they are, combined with a huge compliment of White Raven maneuvers/stances to be every bit as amazing as ever, but shift as much of the spotlight as possible toward others. he can't stand attention as a hero or anything of the sort, and deflects any praise that comes his way, often in an irritated fashion. he uses the Dragonfire Inspiration and Sone of the White Raven feats, and uses war drums as his instrument of choice (as a belt of drums).

The other one is a true neutral crusader (yeah, I just got ToB and love it). I know, it bends the rules, so I need a more flexible DM. he will be kinda like a druid, as a defender of the forest. You don't see him much, but mess with his forest, and there he is - weapon in hand, decked out in bronzewood full plate, and trailing a full contingent of animals (some sort of leadership variant, don's ask me). A fairly blank concept compared to the first, but I still like it :smallsmile:.

Incidentally, what do y'all think of these concepts?

Kurald Galain
2007-09-25, 10:13 AM
Beguiler / Specialist Wiz / Ultimate Magus combo :smallcool:

Keld Denar
2007-09-25, 11:08 AM
As long as this zombie thread is up and wandering about seeking brains...

I'd like to play an Archon. Seriously. Hound Archons just scream paladin. That would be interesting. They have the minor shapechange, so you don't have to look like a puppy dog when you don't want to, but what would strike fear into the hearts of evil do-ers than being smited by Scruff McGruff!

Also, a lantern archon ANYTHING. Those little guys are so cool. They have the angry glare aura, and LAZERS!!! PEW PEW! Add in some spell casting class or another and go to town. Kind of silly, but man, would it be interesting.

Chaos Bringer
2007-09-25, 11:20 AM
I've always wanted to play a true drunken battle cleric. unfortunatly my group tends to yell at me when i dont heal the players at -9 even though my character is insanely drunk and up to his armpits in kobold bits. they keep mumbling something about giving me a HUI (healing under the influence).

Curmudgeon
2007-09-25, 11:35 AM
A Varag (Monster Manual IV, page 168) Monk. I haven't done it because the Monk is weak to start with, and +2 LA and 3 racial HD make this a really weak combo. But the Varag has a base speed of 60', plus Run and Spring Attack as racial feats. Add the Monk speed enhancement and you've got a melee fighter who just happens to find 100' away from his opponents is a comfortable sparring distance. :smallcool:

PlatinumJester
2007-09-25, 11:42 AM
A hard core Gnome Rapper. Gimble ain't got nothing on GMX. X gonna give it to ya.

A Self Hating Warforged Barbarian called Uncle Ratchet who sings "Don't trust them new clankers over there..."

A Marik style Bard who becomes a mind bender who goes around calling people Binky Boy and Mindslave.

A Goliath.

NEO|Phyte
2007-09-25, 12:10 PM
Hmm, quite a few of my wacky characters HAVE seen play, but for the ones that haven't yet...

A wereweasel with the entire Illithid Heritage feat tree and the Flayerspawn Psychic PrC. And ranks in Profession (Lawyer).

A Ghost Monk/Master of the Unseen Hand/Reaping Mauler. He grapples things to death from 1200' away with his mind. His reason for being a ghost? He wants to become the greatest wrestler in all the planes.

A dwarven psychic warrior/elocater named Agdor Loathestone. He has come to hate the ground so much that he refuses to stand upon it.

Chaos Bringer
2007-09-25, 12:11 PM
As basic as it sounds, i've always wanted to play an artificer. The need for one just never seems to come up, and reading all these forums makes it sound fun.... of course reading these forums makes me want to play something different all the time.

Leicontis
2007-09-25, 09:46 PM
Some day, in some edition, I'd love to play an effective sniper...

I wouldn't mind resurrecting a couple of my previous characters, but one of them would have a hard time fitting into any campaign other than the one he was in without a major backstory rewrite, and besides, it's fun building new characters.

A mysterious wanderer, who generally fights using only his walking staff. The party would meet him when they get attacked on the road by bandits and a bad*** older guy walks down the road, sees the melee, and joins into the bandit-thwacking.

A journeyman dwarven smith. He'd be constantly scoping out other people's weapons and armor, and trying to find good smiths to learn from. His eventual ideal weapon would be a Flaming Adamantine Warhammer - taking the same approach to combat as to smithy - heat it up while you pound it flat... If he ever ran into an iron golem, he'd react very interestingly...

edited to add:
This one would require some homebrewing and DM approval, but I think it would be awesome: An illusionist that constantly misses sleep due to horrible nightmares (as in Lovecraft-level horrible). He gets just enough rest to be able to memorize his spells, but would be suffering from fatigue penalties pretty much all the time. On the other hand, he'd be throwing around illusions based on his nightmares. Hope the other PCs have strong stomachs and stronger nerves, or they'd join some enemies in running like scared little children...

edited again to add:
Again, some minor homebrewing and DM approval required: Originally, this character was LE, and seeking to gain arcane power the quick and easy way. In his case, "quick and easy way" meant catching a pixie, gripping her in his right hand, and performing a ritual to absorb her power and consume her soul. Unfortunately for him, she figured out a way to twist the ritual at the last second. Now, his right hand continuously burns with illusory flame (sort of like a Faerie Fire spell). He still gains power from it (warlock class), but the pixie's soul wasn't consumed - it was bound to his. Now she's always in his head, urging him to do good. He is now CG, and trying his best to redeem himself and/or find a way to restore the pixie to full and independent existence.

Dr. Weasel
2007-09-26, 12:53 AM
I have to say that for some reason (actually, I know the reason- it's too party-dependant) I've never gotten to play a courageous Gnome warrior who rides summoned monsters to battle evil. At some point in nearly every fight, he would have to fall from some ridiculous height (non-flying mounts are for wimps). It would be awesome.

The problem I've always had has been finding somebody who wants to dedicate themselves to summoning. Our parties always consist of seven or eight people* so we don't deal with cohorts and I seem to be the only person willing to play a non-healbot/fireballbot mage.

*Theoretically. It's usually three, but if everybody were to show, we'd need to keep things as steamlined as possible as quite a few players aren't entirely fluent in the rules.

LemonSkye
2007-09-26, 02:23 AM
There is some light though, as I recently discovered the CG paladin PrC in Complete Divine so perhaps that'll be the next character I play.

I've always wanted to play a Chaos Knight. I even made up a whole class for it, totally balanced with and opposite the paladin, just like the Blackguard but with chaotic instead of evil alignment. In exchange for all the undead powers and remove disease/sneak attack, he gains the rage ability and some other cool features. Smite Law, other good stuff :)

No need for making new base classes or looking to prestige classes to be a CG Paladin--the Paladin of Freedom variant out of Unearthed Arcana should work fine here. Alternately, you can search out Dragon 310--they have a Paladin class for each of the nonevil alignments, including Neutral.

A pacifist paladin. He was a LE warlord who had some kind of revelation, complete with alignment and religion changeover. Now, he completely rejects all lethal force as the easy way (He's still allowed subdual stuff). When 3.0 came out, I rethought him as a fighter/cleric, but the idea was the same. And just as unplayable. :)

There's a whole bunch of feats (and a prestige class) out of the Book of Exalted Deeds that focus on nonviolent characters. I suggest giving it a look.

A chameleon, sadly no one ones races of destiny in my group. Wizards released the class on their site in a preview, but i don't know one of the feats required (since its in races of destiny) Curse You Able Learner!!! for dystroying my dreams!!!

from Races of Destiny:

Able Learner:
Prerequisite: Human or Doppelganger
Benefit: All skill ranks cost 1 skill point for you to purchase, even if the skill is cross-class for you. The maximum number of ranks you can purchase in a cross-class skill remains the same. This feat does not affect the skill point cost to learn a language or gain literacy.
Special: This feat may only be taken at 1st level.

Alternately, I'd also suggest giving the Factotum out of Dungeonscape a look--the feel of the class is similar to that of the Chameleon.

I've always wanted to play a WORKING necromancer. I've never successfully made one and the PRCs for them kinda suck ass.

Take a look at Dread Necromancer, out of Heroes of Horror. It's a base class, and the crowning feature of the class is that you become a Lich for free.

On topic: I've always wanted to play a blind character, for the flavor of it. So far, my only choices are to play an anthropomorphic porpoise or use the pseudonatural template, neither of which I can really feasibly do. Ah, well, we can all dream, right?

Jannex
2007-09-26, 05:15 AM
One concept I've been sitting on for a while now is a human female gestalt Bard//Paladin of Bahamut, with Devoted Performer to make the alignment restrictions work. (Bahamut, because he's one of the only LG deities I can tolerate, and dragons are generally awesome.) She'd be friendly and personable, a bit more laid-back than your stereotypical Paladin, but very much about doing The Right Thing. I'd probably go for Weapon Finesse and light armor, since that's the kind of character I prefer to play, and there's no law saying that Paladins have to wear full-plate, after all. It'd be crazy MAD, and not even close to optimized, but so much fun! I just need somebody to run a gestalt game for me...

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-09-26, 05:44 AM
There's about 20 ECL 30 characters I've made and want to play. Most of all among them though, is a really badass gish. Human male Wizard 5/Abjurant Champion 5/Crusader 10/Jade Phoenix Mage 10. Without any more armor than a nice, silken robe he has an AC of 51 and isn't bad at melee or spellcasting, either.

Artemician
2007-09-26, 06:09 AM
I've always wanted to play Sir Render, armour-plated crusading force for all that is good and unholy in this world. Armed with his trusty Fullblade, his Warcry of "I will Liberate you!" inspires shock and awe in his enemies (and friends).

With fearsome zeal and determination, he wanders the world serving the people by liberating them from their fleshy prisons, and releasing their spirits to roam free in the sky.

Cogwheel
2007-09-26, 06:15 AM
Ah yes, that reminds me... I would like to play Skraal Weaselheart, a kobold psion/soulknife CG gestalt, born in a diceless RP forum. Alas, I'm stuck with playing toned-down versions, since the original is... intensely epic, in a "this guy might be able to beat Mephistopheles solo, but he'll probably die either way" kind of way. Yeah that kind of epic.

d12
2007-09-26, 01:10 PM
This doesn't really count as "always", but since I'd found out about the Planetouched, I've wanted to play an Aasimar who is pretty much devoid of moral concerns. I picture him as martially-focused--probably a fighter or duskblade (even though its casting stat is the one mental ability they don't get bonuses to), though a barbarian might be humorous. I just really like the idea of a guy descended from the angels, who happens to be a cold, amoral, mercenary, heartless bastard. Sort of a "Sure, great-granddad was an embodiment of good and law/chaos, but don't saddle me with that garbage. I have my own concerns, and none of them involve bailing out people too lazy, weak, stupid, or incompetent to take care of their own problems, unless they can make me a decent offer," kind of character.

Artemician
2007-09-28, 04:14 AM
As an add-on to my original post, me and my classmate were talking about Sir Render, and we came up with an entire party that we want to play, somehow.

Sir Render: Aforementioned maniacal crusader. Possibly Paladin/Grey Guard/Shadowbane Inquisitor instead. It doesn't really matter.

Sir Comestance: CE Rogue/Fortune's Friend/Assassin. Kills people at random, and strikes without warning. People speak in hushed whispers about the newest Victim of Sir Comestance.

Sir Rieal: Miscallaneously aligned Illusionist/Uncarnate. He's not all there, in my opinion.

and to round off the party, we have

Sir Muhn: Enormously preachy Cleric of Heriounius who is always trying to convince Sir Render and Sir Comestance to "Come to the light side", as he terms it. Doesn't seem to realize that they're not paying attention.

And of course, we have their cohorts, Sir Vant and Sir Viss. They're twin brothers.

Contacts of the party include Sir Tuhnly, Sir Kul and Sir Cumference.

sombrastewart
2007-09-28, 11:17 AM
I get to play the one I wanted: the prime thief. An elf with the Dark Creature template. Rogue/Thief Acrobat/Exemplar. Great fun, and with the Darkstalker feat, he's pretty much impossible to find if he hides.

But the one I really wanna play is a warblade/bloodstorm blade Dragonborn of Bahamut. I just think it'd be great fun. Maybe not fully optimized, but I really don't care.

Akennedy
2007-09-29, 05:38 AM
Possibly a ranger, who can both use a bow effectively and use a 2h weapon of some kind and have a eagle for his companion. Essentially, just a skillful archer/combatant.

Vulion
2007-09-29, 12:52 PM
I've always wanted to play a fighter/rogue/shadowdancer combination. You get wicked stealth and sneak attack possibilities with the shadow jumping shtick. Everytime I imagine it, I just drool.

Alex12
2007-09-29, 01:06 PM
LG Mind Flayer. I even came up with a way to make him Non-Drizzty, namely make him come from a LG Mind Flayer community. How do I get around the dietary needs? Easy. Hydras. More later, I gotta go.

The Mormegil
2007-09-29, 03:05 PM
A schizofrenic character with 7 different personalities that struggle to take control over his poor mind... He will be changing personality in a single sentence (Hey, look, if we do like this we can win the match and then go to eat a pie cooked in their blood and use it to nourish the poor children down there...)

Alex12
2007-09-29, 03:25 PM
My aforementioned LG Mind Flayer character could come from this town. It's on another forum and I don't want to repost everything here, but suffice to say that yes, I am Alex12 on that forum as well.

http://www.dndonlinegames.com/showthread.php?t=61603

dyslexicfaser
2007-09-29, 05:10 PM
I've always wanted to try the ScoutX/PsyWar2 build with crazy +jump called 'lancer' on the WotC forums.

The basic idea is that by level 6 the PC will have 50+ movement, the ability to run up walls and drop down on enemies as a charge using Battle Jump from UE, and the ability to make 40' longjumps from a standing start.

The concept of a character in a small room acting like a human pinball with combinations of Up the Walls, Battle Jump, and Leap Attack using a Valorous spear is hilarious to me.

slexlollar89
2007-09-29, 06:31 PM
I hve always wanted to play an elf with the folowing templates: anarchic, winged, dark, shadow (FR, in the back) rogue. Basically, he would be the embodiment of CN and darkness... but the LAs from all the templates are to high to actually be used all at once (though they can be if applied in the proper order!) and no DM would seriously allow it, but he is probably my favorite idea...

A binder who calls himself a cleric and actually has a "church" where he teaches peopl binding in the back room, and preaches in the main hall... disguise has such a sad reputation...

An elf Paladin of Freedom, Champion of Corellon who neither harms any sort of elves (even drow) nor commits any wrongdoings. The funny thing is, his name is Pazuuzuu, so if you say his name 3 times...he he he...
fortunately he is aware o this, and never introduces himself by anything other than "paladin". I got to play him twice, but the first time another party member killed me because I refused to allow him to loot a fallen PCs corpse, and the second time because the campaign ended at level 2.

CherryC
2007-09-30, 03:51 PM
A wizard who is a total jerk and uses magic to play retarded pranks on people. With all the crazy spells wizards get, there's just so many opportunities for douchebaggery.
I also want to play a stereotypical hippie character who isn't a druid.
An insanely good tiefling sounds like so much fun to play too.

Kioran
2007-10-02, 02:37 AM
This: Nethertouched/Tiefling (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=1760&sid=5114e0fc5c49bcdf5e7ce26c634de15e) or several minor or moderate variations thereof.