PDA

View Full Version : Spells that go BOOM?

Akeii
2012-04-14, 11:59 PM
Rays and save-or-dies are nice and all that for offensive purposes, but. For example: you want to get the hell out of a tower. Instead of the party wizard or sorcerer casting Teleport to get everyone out (which is namby-pamby, if you ask me) ...

Are there spells that allow you to blow a giant friggin' crater in the side of the tower so you can jump out dramatically, Hollywood-style? Or any a la Tim the Enchanter spells that give tremendous concussive power?

Ideally they should be able to kill things as well, but that's secondary. What really matters is the size of the explosion and the noise created.

Emperor Tippy
2012-04-15, 12:12 AM
Disintegrate.

It's primary purpose is altering the environment.

Black Blade of Disaster and Sphere of Ultimate Destruction also come to mind.

Havvy
2012-04-15, 12:14 AM
Sympathetic Vibration, though I think it's bard only. Does more damage the longer you concentrate.

And Fireball, though it doesn't destroy scenery...it does destroy creatures in the scenery.

Battleship789
2012-04-15, 12:38 AM
Apocalypse from the Sky (BoVD) is the epitome of "boom" prior to epic spellcasting. Though, this is less of a "hole in the tower" and more of a "meteor impact crater" (radius is 10 MILES/level). Apply some metamagic (Born of the Three Thunders would be appropriate), Extraordinary Spell Aim/Selective Spell yourself out of the blast, and watch the pretty (evil) fireworks.

Seconding Disintegrate and its related spells (BBoD and SoUD).

Zaq
2012-04-15, 01:58 AM
There's some mild disagreement in my group over the real name of Disintegrate. Some people say that it is more properly called "Greater Open," and some contend that it should really be called "Make Hole."

nedz
2012-04-15, 05:13 AM
Earthquake = Great Tower -> Rocks Fall

jaybird
2012-04-15, 09:35 AM
There's some mild disagreement in my group over the real name of Disintegrate. Some people say that it is more properly called "Greater Open," and some contend that it should really be called "Make Hole."

Greater KNOCK, you mean :smallwink:

Explosions, you say? Well...

I prepared just the thing today.

Maryring
2012-04-15, 09:37 AM
Well... if you want flashy, I seem to recall a metamagic just for that. Explosive Spell or somesuch. Now you can combine it with your favourite flashy spell and watch the fireworks. I may recall wrongly, but I think it's possible to combine it with the orbs.

Edit: Oh right. Check it out in Complete Arcane if you can. That's where I found it.

Harry
2012-04-15, 10:30 AM
Does locate city bomb count?

Lateral
2012-04-15, 10:38 AM
Does locate city bomb count?

No, because it doesn't work unless you're trying to make a zombie plague of wights.

Also, even if it did, Explosive Spell doesn't destroy things. For some reason.

Kalim
2012-04-15, 10:45 AM
Earthquake, Tsunami, and Control Winds, while not necessarily meteoric in look, can all cause horrific damage to a city/area. Shake it to rubble, bowl it over with a forty foot wave, or flatten it with tornado-force winds.

Quietus
2012-04-15, 10:46 AM
Sympathetic Vibration, though I think it's bard only. Does more damage the longer you concentrate.

And Fireball, though it doesn't destroy scenery...it does destroy creatures in the scenery.

Might want to take a look again at the fireball (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/fireball.htm) spell. Unattended objects do indeed take damage, sets fire to combustibles, and melts metals. I've been considering running a purposefully over the top game where I work out just how deep a crater Fireballs make and other such silliness for exactly this reason. Unfortunately I don't think soil is given a hit points/inch stat anywhere, but I'm pretty sure it'd not be high.

ScionoftheVoid
2012-04-15, 10:47 AM
Well... if you want flashy, I seem to recall a metamagic just for that. Explosive Spell or somesuch. Now you can combine it with your favourite flashy spell and watch the fireworks. I may recall wrongly, but I think it's possible to combine it with the orbs.

Edit: Oh right. Check it out in Complete Arcane if you can. That's where I found it.

No real association to destroying the scenery, it simply adds the ability to blast creatures to the edge of the spell's area (effect spells like the Orbs can't use it) and deal some extra damage to them for the movement. It is indeed in Complete Arcane.

Personally, I'll second Explosive Runes. Stockpile 'em and you could blow a decent hole in damn near anything.

Cespenar
2012-04-15, 10:53 AM
If a 10' by 10' stone wall section has 90 hp, a 5' by 5' section should have 22.5 hp, right? If so, then Orb of Force should qualify to redesign a room.

Lateral
2012-04-15, 01:15 PM
If a 10' by 10' stone wall section has 90 hp, a 5' by 5' section should have 22.5 hp, right? If so, then Orb of Force should qualify to redesign a room.

Yeah, but using a fourth-level spell to destroy a 5' by 5' space is... a little less than efficient.

Vegan Zombie
2012-04-15, 04:55 PM
Explosive Runes FTW. Cover a large boulder in them, roll it to where it needs to blow up, send 1 unlucky individual to read them? And voila!
For more hilarity, sneak into the local newspaper facility and cast them on all the next mornings papers.

Only the illiterate will survive! :smallbiggrin:

Rubik
2012-04-15, 05:03 PM
Is there a feat that turns a ray spell into an AoExplosion spell? As in, you fire a Disintegrate and it makes an AoE explosion at the target?

Because that would be awesome.

AgentofHellfire
2012-04-15, 05:14 PM
Hmmm...

Shatter is one, if used several times on several lighter weakpoints
Obviously, Disintegrate...
Earthquake lets you literally make an earthquake, but the most fun way involves Summon Monster VII

Basically, you use it to summon a Huge Earth Elemental, and order it to smash key points of the building. Possibly from underneath said building, too. If you're shorter on time, you could theoretically use a higher-level summoning spell to summon more of these, or cast it multiple times. You could even use it to summon teams of smaller elementals to all help smash if you have to.

Which, I have to say, is awesome.

Cespenar
2012-04-15, 08:14 PM
Yeah, but using a fourth-level spell to destroy a 5' by 5' space is... a little less than efficient.

It's more efficient than Disintegrate, at least.