PDA

View Full Version : Lockout (SPACE-JAIL! movie)

Muz
2012-04-15, 12:32 AM
Has anyone seen this movie yet? I saw it with a friend tonight. I was looking for something hilariously bad, and what says "hilariously bad" more than A TAKE-OVER AT SPACE-PRISON!

Seriously, if you like laughing at a movie, go see this thing. I do not even know where to begin listing everything wrong with it.

Vague spoilers: -A maximum security prison! The security is so maximum that it apparently wrapped around infinity to wind up at zero.

-Let's design our space-jail to have such a low orbit that it requires constant adjustments from a technician on board or it falls out of the sky! Possibly onto the U.S. eastern seaboard!

-There are omnidirectional smart turrets all over the exterior surface of space-jail! Because, apparently, we anticipate...an invasion of space-jail? Possibly from Martians or the Empire of Kuuzbane. When they were putting in these numerous omnidirectional computer-guided cannons on the outside, however, they completely forgot to put anything INSIDE that could stop a single inmate from getting out of a "secure" conference room and all the way to the SPACE-JAIL CONTROL ROOM, which, apparently, is manned entirely by a single unarmed sciencey-type.

-VACUUM DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY!!!

I just...I can't...I mean...wow.

Just...wow. :smallbiggrin:

See it. You'll laugh yourself silly. When the DVD comes out, play the drinking game! Any time you want to ask sentences that begin with, "Why would they--?" or "Why are they--?", take a drink.

Actually, better make that a sip. A very small sip.

Also, "space-jail" is fun to say. They should have called the movie that.

Triscuitable
2012-04-15, 12:41 AM
I've heard this "movie" was quite ridiculous. Is it so bad it's Oscar-Quality, like Street Fighter: The Movie (which I bet very few who complain about it have actually seen it)?

Hopeless
2012-04-16, 03:51 AM
I've heard this "movie" was quite ridiculous. Is it so bad it's Oscar-Quality, like Street Fighter: The Movie (which I bet very few who complain about it have actually seen it)?

Well I've watched Streetfighter the movie I am assuming the one where Raul Julia plays M Bison and the producers decide to make Guile the hero ignoring the fact the only Streetfighters to able to fight Bison are Ryu and Ken which is a bit of a cheek since Ryu is the better fighter!

Still the movie gave us Kylie as Cammy and an interesting take on a couple of other Streetfighter characters (reporter and cameraman!) the Godzilla scene was especially fun!

Well at least they didn't go as far as the Dragonball live action movie admittedly they both had great actors to play the main villains!

Talked with a friend yesterday about this, have to admit I'm not surprised as i thought about this kind of stort before but mine involved them deliberately trying to crash the prison onto the planet and the "heroes" aboard trying to find a way to escape as the riot was just the excuse to send it careering down into the atmosphere...

Done properly this could have led to a sequel or two... fortunately for us in the case of this particular movie it sounds like this shouldn't happen!

Muz
2012-04-16, 10:43 AM
SPACE-Jail(!)* does have pretty decent effects, at least as well as I'm able to judge--though there is a chase scene in the beginning that looks a little over-cranked. It really is entertainingly stupid, though. It probably helps to go into it expecting to laugh AT the movie.

It's not exactly original, either. The credits say it's "based on an idea by Luc Besson." I'm guessing the idea was, "What if we remake Escape from New York...in spaaaaace?"

*Lockout's "official" title now, so far as I'm concerned.

Foeofthelance
2012-04-16, 08:24 PM
Went and saw it this afternoon. It was a fun movie, so long as I didn't stop and think about it. Really my biggest problem was:

Why did the Secret Service guy bring a gun into the interrogation room? And why the hell were they on the Prisoner's side?

Most of the stuff I could hand wave. Why is the prison armed like a battle station? Well, why is there a low orbit police department? Clearly space is more crowded than we were shown, especially considering how easy it was for the shuttles to get back and forth. Its in low orbit because that was cheaper to build in, or the higher orbits are reserved for military stations, or any number of "off screen" reasons.

Still a stupid-fun movie.