PDA

View Full Version : AD&D 1e Cleric/Magic-User question

Giegue
2012-04-15, 11:44 AM
I remember reading somewhere that the Cleric/Magic-User class combo can use armor, yet friend has told me they must stick to robes? I am away from my 1e PHB right now and thus I am asking all of you, can a cleric/magic-user wear heavy armor, and if so, will it mess with his magic-user spellcasting as it would in 3.5e? Likewise, can a cleric/magic-user use magic-user weapons that are not blunt(daggers, for example?) or are they still subject to the same weapon limits as a standard cleric?

kaomera
2012-04-15, 12:19 PM
I remember reading somewhere that the Cleric/Magic-User class combo can use armor, yet friend has told me they must stick to robes? I am away from my 1e PHB right now and thus I am asking all of you, can a cleric/magic-user wear heavy armor, and if so, will it mess with his magic-user spellcasting as it would in 3.5e? Likewise, can a cleric/magic-user use magic-user weapons that are not blunt(daggers, for example?) or are they still subject to the same weapon limits as a standard cleric?
Disclaimer: there is always going to be differences of opinion regarding this topic, and the DM should have the final word; however I will supply you with my reading of the rules: The assumption that the M-U must stick to robes because they interfere with his casting is widespread (and quite likely supported in the rules somewhere), but the actual M-U class description states that this is because ''martial training is so foreign to magic-use''. There are no spell-failure rules in 1e as such. The use of non-blunt weapons seems much less likely, as the multi-class rules specifically note that multi-classing ''with fighter-types'' will allow the cleric to use edged weapons.

This largely comes down to the question of applying the most-restrictive or the least-restrictive set of rules that apply in a given situation, and 1e really doesn't have a specific default response. As I mentioned above, it really comes down to which way the DM wants to play it, although in any case it should be consistent and causes far fewer problems when at least the general rule is laid out beforehand.

Particle_Man
2012-04-15, 01:08 PM
If you mean the human dual-classed cleric/magic-user then they are stuck with magic-user robes to avoid losing xp on the adventure they are on (even when they surpass their cleric level with their magic-user level, they can only wear heavier armour when not casting magic-user spells).

If you mean the multi-classed cleric/magic-user (the half-elf from the phb, adding the elf if you use Unearthed Arcana) then yes you can wear armour as a cleric does while casting magic-user spells.

hamlet
2012-04-16, 08:11 AM
If you mean the human dual-classed cleric/magic-user then they are stuck with magic-user robes to avoid losing xp on the adventure they are on (even when they surpass their cleric level with their magic-user level, they can only wear heavier armour when not casting magic-user spells).

If you mean the multi-classed cleric/magic-user (the half-elf from the phb, adding the elf if you use Unearthed Arcana) then yes you can wear armour as a cleric does while casting magic-user spells.

Do keep in mind that this was the case only in 1st edition AD&D. By 2nd edition, the rules had changed slightly for multi-classed characters and multi-classed mages were not permitted to use armor at all unless they were elves or half-elves in elfin chain and elfin chain only.

Also, priests were restricted to ethos weapons only (i.e., blunt weapons for clerics!) no matter what they multi-classed or dual-classed with.

Particle_Man
2012-04-16, 09:59 AM
Well, the title and OP are asking about 1e, :smallsmile: not 2e . . . :smallsmile::smallsmile:

hamlet
2012-04-16, 12:09 PM
Well, the title and OP are asking about 1e, :smallsmile: not 2e . . . :smallsmile::smallsmile:

I find that a great many people either cannot or do not distinguish between the two editions, so I was very specific for the sake of the audience at large.

MeeposFire
2012-04-17, 07:19 AM
As I recall 1e allowed casting in armor and better weapons for multiclass characters. Not sure about dual class characters though I think they were still could not cast in armor (mages) and had to stick with the weapon restrictions for clerics. 2e was more restrictive in that case.

Matthew
2012-04-20, 10:42 PM
Right, fighter/magicians and magician/clerics have no problems with armour in first edition, but if you drop thief into the mix then you need to stick to lighter armour types to fully use their abilities. As Hamlet note, though, your friend was probably getting confused with the second edition rules.