PDA

View Full Version : (PF) Wilder Summoner: Build help requested

APersonAmI
2012-04-15, 02:15 PM
Hello, Playground!

As an enthusiast of psionics, and with quite a few ideas about a fitting character concept, I've been throwing glances at the Wilder for a while, and I finally decided to build one. However, I do not know anything yet about the party I will use her in, so I will have to ask you to give me advice on this build generally rather than specifically.The most versatile build seems like a Astral Construct focused Human Student Wilder, giving me the largest possible amount of options for powers, thanks to the Favored Class Bonus they get in Expanded Psionics. Anyway, here's the outline of the build, only have 13 levels so far:

20 Point Buy: Str7 Dex12 Con 12 Int10 Wis13 Cha20
Traits: Reactive (+2 initiative), Psigifted: Astral Construct(+1 manifester level to selected power)

Feats and Favored Class Bonus:
1 Psionic Talent(Human Bonus), Unlocked Talent: Astral Construct, Psicrystal Affinity(Surge Bond)
3 Boost Construct
4: FCB: Defensive Precognition/Crystal Shard
5 Psionic Meditation, Expanded Knowledge: Mind Link (Surge Bond)
7 Dispel Mastery
8: FCB: Touchsight
9 Extend Power, Expanded Knowledge: Battlesense (Surge Bond)
11 Expanded Knowledge: Shism/Flight
12: FCB: (?)
13 Expanded Knowledge: Psionic Revivify, Expanded Knowledge: Psychofeedback (Surge Bond)
Powers:
1 Inertial Armor, Astral Construct, Vigor, Defensive Precognition/Crystal Shard
2 Energy Stun
3 Dispel Magic, Touchsight, Battlesense
4 Fold Space, Intellect Fortress,
5 (?), Psionic Revivify, Psychofeedback
6 Temporal Acceleration

Power Description not on the SRD:
Battlesense
Discipline: Telepathy [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Vitalist 3, tactician 3, telepath 3
Display: Mental
Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 30 feet (see text)
Target: 1 willing creature/level
Duration: 1 round/level
Power Points: 5
You link the minds of your allies, dramatically improving their coordination. When you manifest this power, a type of heads-up display appears in each target’s mind, improving their coordination and group awareness. Each affected target can use the Aid Another action as an immediate action. Creatures that move out of the 30 foot range after the power is manifested are still affected by the power.
Additionally, all targets that are also willing members of your collective (if any) gain one special ability of your choice from this list. Your choice affects all members equally.
* +1 circumstance bonus to attack rolls
* +1 circumstance bonus to AC
* +2 circumstance bonus to weapon damage
* +5 circumstance bonus to speed
Augment: You may augment this power in one or both of the following ways.
1. If you spend 2 additional power points, you can choose a second special ability from the collective bonus list. You may choose the same benefit again; if you do, it stacks with itself (up to +5 for attack rolls or AC, +10 for weapon damage, or +25 for bonus to speed).
2. If you spend 2 additional power points, you can use this power as if you had the collective class feature, treating creatures with which you have established a mental link, such as the mindlink power, as members. Creatures that would not consider you an ally if not for the link do not count as willing members.

So, There are plenty of things regarding the Wilder I am unsure about, which also applies to the above choices.
For starters, what about blasting? Is it a must for the Wilder? Energy Stun and possibly Crystal Shard are my only taken blast options, since it's not something I usually do.
Speaking of Crystal Shard, I'm unsure about that one, because it gives me an option in AMF's and versus magic-immune enemies, but the second are already handled with my Constructs.
Are there important options I have missed, or mistakes I have made? What is central to think about when playing a Wilder? Any thoughts, pointers or personal experiences are welcome, since I know next to nothing about how the Wilder works when in play.

gomipile
2012-04-15, 02:35 PM
Can you go Warrior's Surge? If you have a good healer in the party, that is probably a good option to increase your power longevity.

eggs
2012-04-15, 03:06 PM
Blasting isn't required, but it's a useful enough to burn a power known on. Crystal Shard is nice because it's really hard for a monster to ignore (it breezes through SR/PR, AMFs and DR without granting a save).

Psychic Reformation is invaluable to Wilders - even with PF's more tactically limiting version. I'd recommend working that into the build.

APersonAmI
2012-04-15, 03:44 PM
Can you go Warrior's Surge? If you have a good healer in the party, that is probably a good option to increase your power longevity.
It is indeed an option, perhaps even a good one- becoming Staggered is worse than Dazzled, however, and I think I'll miss all those Expanded Knowledges:smallfrown:

Blasting isn't required, but it's a useful enough to burn a power known on. Crystal Shard is nice because it's really hard for a monster to ignore (it breezes through SR/PR, AMFs and DR without granting a save).
I see the point of having at least a single blast available, yes. I chose Energy Stun for the additional utility. To be honest, I'm a bit worried if it is required to burn an EK on Energy Missile, since it seems to be THE blast.

Psychic Reformation is invaluable to Wilders - even with PF's more tactically limiting version. I'd recommend working that into the build.
I understand that this power is godly: however, the No-Nonsense guide to Psion warned against spamming it for fear of GM ban, so I never actually considered it a possible core build:smallredface: